1/72 Resin Monster Model!

AlphaHX

Okay mike time to start a 1/48 interest group.

I wish there was enough interest but i doubt it :(

Maybe years from now when we are all rich from winning the lotto.......

I have lots of projects in my mind right now, after doing mostly Studio Scale stuff for the last couple of years i have a renewed interest in doing some Macross stuff, i just really need to pinpoint what is the best to tackle first........and what people want

Okay mike time to start a 1/48 interest group.

it sounds greaqt in thoery, but at what size do you start sacrificing stability. imagine all the metal you would have to use to keep things from warping and twisting, you might as well build the whole thing out of billit aluminum and make it fire m80's and walk on its own

it sounds greaqt in thoery, but at what size do you start sacrificing stability. imagine all the metal you would have to use to keep things from warping and twisting, you might as well build the whole thing out of billit aluminum and make it fire m80's and walk on its own

Just for the sake of entertaining an idea, stability would not really be that much of an issue, unless you really wanted it to fire m-80's :)

In 1/48 i would be forced to cast the main body in fiberglass, more work but less material for sure, the feet would likely also be cast in fiberglass. If the main arm guns wound up being big enough for me to get my hand inbetween the open mold they would also likely be fiberglass....

the fiberglass would be lightweight and strong, the labor time would be a lot longer.....

I have such a big wishlist of macross kits right now i really need to take some time and figure out where to go.......

Just for the sake of entertaining an idea, stability would not really be that much of an issue, unless you really wanted it to fire m-80's :)

In 1/48 i would be forced to cast the main body in fiberglass, more work but less material for sure, the feet would likely also be cast in fiberglass. If the main arm guns wound up being big enough for me to get my hand inbetween the open mold they would also likely be fiberglass....

the fiberglass would be lightweight and strong, the labor time would be a lot longer.....

I have such a big wishlist of macross kits right now i really need to take some time and figure out where to go.......

my buddy makes high end model rockets, i should see how much carbon fiber is in his scrap pile

I wish there was enough interest but i doubt it :(

Maybe years from now when we are all rich from winning the lotto.......

I have lots of projects in my mind right now, after doing mostly Studio Scale stuff for the last couple of years i have a renewed interest in doing some Macross stuff, i just really need to pinpoint what is the best to tackle first........and what people want

Have you scrapped the idea of doing the SDF kit you were thinking about doing? I have never had the opportunity to get a decent kit of the ship, and am still highly interested. I was never a fan of the toy version, it just totally lacked detail, and the recasts of old Japanese kits don't do much for me either.

mslz22, if you ever totally lost your sanity, you could still probably go with resin still for the big projects, and foam fill it. My wife has a giant bear that was cast in resin and foam filled. Of course I never build anything that big. - MT

Have you scrapped the idea of doing the SDF kit you were thinking about doing? I have never had the opportunity to get a decent kit of the ship, and am still highly interested. I was never a fan of the toy version, it just totally lacked detail, and the recasts of old Japanese kits don't do much for me either.

No, just trying to determine what is best to do first, the SDF1 is a challenge for sure, may just want to bump a smaller kit in front of it, but after the factory.....

what would a completed (paint & all) 1/72 kit cost? how about a 1/48? i can't model to save my life, but i would pay out the arse for something that awesome.

While the 1/48 is only a distant gleem in my eye, if you want a built 1/72 scale one you could buy a kit and commission someone to build and paint for you, not sure if HWR MKII is accepting commissions but i would nominate him for sure.

I'm waiting for the Factory!! Any news about that?? :unsure:

I've had a cold all week so not much to report yet....This friday i am having a couple of buddies over for a "barn raising" of sorts to set up the spring shop, which we are converting to an all year shop, it just needs to get done now because every fall i promise myself to set up a year round shop and I always run out of time. Once that is set up i will be working on some new molds for the monster, molds for the factory parts that are ready and finishing up the patterns for the parts i need to sell the first version of the factory.

One of the reasons i need to set this shop up is i am just at the mercy of new england weather, it's April and still in the 20's and 30's in the morning....just crazy.

Wow... 1/48 destroids would be seriously cool. Weight is the primary issue here, especially if going for posable forms (without a feckin' great metal armature).

One trick I've seen done is to vac form approximate shapes from a rough sculpt, and use those as a base for sculpting actual detail (fiberglass/filler and epoxy putties over the vacform), then recast the detailed components. Dunno if you actually work that way already, but thought I'd throw the idea out (seen it used on ergonomic keyboard cases of all things).

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong as long as I don't suffer any employment issues or major crises, I would totally be in for some 1/48 destroid action. I could use my Captain 1/72 collection for display in the house and 1/48's, hell I'd have to build recessed pedestals in the walls or something, but they would be bad ass! :)

1/48 Destroids would be amazing... but I'd also settle for 1/60...

I too would love some 1/60's but it seems that most 1/60 collectors are not model builders, i have a lot of ideas ranging from 1/48 - 1/24 scale, i just need to sort out what is a kit that people would want. Some stuff like a 1/24 VF-1 i will eventually build for myself like i did with the 38 inch Galactica that i did, but to make a full set of molds for something like that i would need to know that it's something other people would buy as well.....

mike

I've noticed that as well... 1/60 happens to be a nice large, but not ridiculously so, size for Macross stuff, but 1/60 is such an offbeat scale... However, 1/25 Destroids would be amazing... every modeler should have one for scale reference alone...

1/48 scale is the ONLY reason I bought a yamato valk.

1/60 just isn't a good scale to model with (and I like modelling with toys and bits thereof). 1/72 is a little dinky (and doesn't generally have perfect transformation without some major headaches). 1/48 is easy to work in (especially seeing as there's a wealth of 1/43 - 1/50 toys to cannibalise).

I've been planning on putting together a tomahawk and factory diorama in that scale as I had the old 1/100 'Robotech' factory double set (GBP VF-1J, Tomahawk) as a kid and have nostalgia pangs. I won't say what happened to it in my hands as a 9 year old, as I'd probably be (perhaps justifiably) lynched. I still shudder when I think about what I saw the exact same kit go for on ebay. It's not actually got much further than a few sketches and lightwave models so far. I've been following Mike's factory with some interest!

...And you'd have to buy a HUGE fishtank to keep it free of dust. :mellow:

You know your out of control when you stop going to the model shop for display cases and start going to PetMart.

• 2 weeks later...

I mighta missed a post but was there a definite re-issue of the 1/72 monster coming?

I am working on mine right now (having a mental battle over whether to paint it canon or go crazy and do a low-vis digital camo version) and I was thinking about getting another one to work up for my brother for christmas if you do another run.....

Edited by Ghadrack

I mighta missed a post but was there a definite re-issue of the 1/72 monster coming?

I am working on mine right now (having a mental battle over whether to paint it canon or go crazy and do a low-vis digital camo version) and I was thinking about getting another one to work up for my brother for christmas if you do another run.....

Yep in just a few weeks, our winter really extended into april here in CT, and i have been working on a new year round casting shop, i am just so sick of being at the mercy of the new england weather. I lowered the celing, added r19 insulation to the celing and walls, and added a subfloor to my garage shop. Basically i built myself an insulated box that can be easily cooled or heated, and it's just for mold making and casting, all scratchbuilding will be moved to a basement shop with all my powertools, paintbooth etc.....

mike

Yep in just a few weeks, our winter really extended into april here in CT, and i have been working on a new year round casting shop, i am just so sick of being at the mercy of the new england weather. I lowered the celing, added r19 insulation to the celing and walls, and added a subfloor to my garage shop. Basically i built myself an insulated box that can be easily cooled or heated, and it's just for mold making and casting, all scratchbuilding will be moved to a basement shop with all my powertools, paintbooth etc.....

mike

sounds awesome!

Any of you guys that have built your Monsters, or Mike if you are watching, I am getting really close to prepping for paint and the kit was very straightforward and for the most part easy to put together without instructions, but I have a couple extra pieces, I am confounded on where they might go. I don't have pictures with me, but first, the clear red option pieces for lighting, is the large red tear drop shaped piece intended to go on the underside of the cockpit, or maybe on the rear hatch?

The other piece may be essential to something but I am clueless, I need to get a picture, but it looks like a hatch arm or something to do with the rear door/engine cover, it looks just like the outter arm cannon covers but it has semi-circular knobs on the ends. :wacko: Well that was a piss poor description, it is approximately 3 inches long, one inch wide, one quarter inch thick with discs at each corner.

I need to see some top down, bottom up and front / rear / side views of a fully assembled kit, anybody got some posted

Edit~ I just looked over both HWR and Mike's completed monster threads, I am 99% sure this is just an option part thinking it is a support for the rear door if you want to display the engine compartment open.

Edited by Ghadrack

That second part is the option part to build rear hatch open, the teardrop part is the cockpit goes in the middle of the head of the monster, i will be finishing those instructions as soon as i get some parts in hand.

in other news the new shop is finally done, took much longer than i expected due mostly to the fact that none of my buddies came thru to help me, so what could have been a few days with 2 or 3 guys working was over 2 weeks by myself.. I will put up some pic of the new year round casting shop.

mike

Glad to hear you have your shop set up, sorry about the buddy thing, but we all know how that goes.

Thanks for taking a peek at the thread too. I have all my sub assemblies pretty much finished, arm cannons and the chasis are all puttied up and sanded down. I want to be able to show off the engine compartment, but i don't think i want it open all the time, still contemplating that.

I'll be sure to throw up a picture or two when I have made a little more progress. This thing is such an awesome project my brother and sister were over the other night and I have it all pegged together standing under my TV, they were in awe of the size of it. I had my Phalanx, Defender and Tomahawk all standing next to it's feet for size comparrison, wicked cool.

Glad to hear you have your shop set up, sorry about the buddy thing, but we all know how that goes.

Thanks for taking a peek at the thread too. I have all my sub assemblies pretty much finished, arm cannons and the chasis are all puttied up and sanded down. I want to be able to show off the engine compartment, but i don't think i want it open all the time, still contemplating that.

I'll be sure to throw up a picture or two when I have made a little more progress. This thing is such an awesome project my brother and sister were over the other night and I have it all pegged together standing under my TV, they were in awe of the size of it. I had my Phalanx, Defender and Tomahawk all standing next to it's feet for size comparrison, wicked cool.

An easy way to be able to pop off the hatch to display the engine is to use some small rare earth magents that you can get at radio shack to keep the door on. I bet you would need 4 attachment points but it would not be hard. The other option would be a bit more complicated. During construction of the monster i figured out that the engine housing would need to slide back a bit to fully deploy the hatch, this too can be done with magnets, but bigger and stronger ones. One day i would like to build a lighted monster with this option, someday :)

mike

in other news the new shop is finally done, took much longer than i expected due mostly to the fact that none of my buddies came thru to help me, so what could have been a few days with 2 or 3 guys working was over 2 weeks by myself..

I know where you are there I have been doing all of mine by myself a lot of swearing contorted balancing and nashing of teeth, except for the bit where my mom poped by and gave me some help, she`s quite the demon with a hammer and nails. :o

Most of my friends are all "Yeah I `ll help" more like Yeah I`ll help when hell freezes over or there`s a day in the week with a Z in it.

Good to know your back in the game.

I know where you are there I have been doing all of mine by myself a lot of swearing contorted balancing and nashing of teeth, except for the bit where my mom poped by and gave me some help, she`s quite the demon with a hammer and nails. :o

Most of my friends are all "Yeah I `ll help" more like Yeah I`ll help when hell freezes over or there`s a day in the week with a Z in it.

Good to know your back in the game.

My buddies are full of good intentions, but something always seems to come up, in fairness to them they all have jobs, kids, houses etc..... it just seems that i count on the help and then get the last minute phone call that they can't make it. One of the hardest things, and longest, was hanging new celing joists by myself, that and hoisting up 4x8ft sheets of plywood alone. Oh and hanging drywall alone is no picnic either....

mike

My buddies are full of good intentions, but something always seems to come up, in fairness to them they all have jobs, kids, houses etc..... it just seems that i count on the help and then get the last minute phone call that they can't make it. One of the hardest things, and longest, was hanging new celing joists by myself, that and hoisting up 4x8ft sheets of plywood alone. Oh and hanging drywall alone is no picnic either....

mike

Oh god I hate drywall. Not so much hanging but finishing, mud, tape, mud, sand, mud, sand, mud, sand.... :wacko:

Edited by Grayson72