On What Type of TV Do You Watch Anime DVDs?

Hurin

Please select the type of TV you own. . .  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Please select the type of TV you own. . .

• Standard/Analog TV (4:3 aspect ratio).
    • Digital and/or High Definition TV (4:3 aspect ratio).
    • Digital and/or High Definition TV (4:3 aspect ratio w/ special 16:9 mode for anamorphic widescreen DVDs and HD).
    • Digital and/or High Definition Widescreen TV (16:9 aspect ratio).
    • I use my computer w/ standard monitor (4:3 aspect ratio).
    • I use my computer w/ widescreen monitor (16:9 aspect ratio).
    • I use a projector that can project anamorphic widescreen.
    • I use a projector that cannot project anamorphic widescreen.

If you have more than one, choose your primary TV where you get the best experience.

This poll will be useful to me because it will help me decide how to format subtitles and menus for the resubtitled DVDs on which I'm working.

Where is the "whatever you have" option.

:huh:

When I watch anything, I watch it on whatever i have in front of me. Its not like I sit in a room full of audiovisual equipment and think what that particular DVD would be formated best on.

When I watch anything, I watch it on whatever i have in front of me. Its not like I sit in a room full of audiovisual equipment and think what that particular DVD would be formated best on.

exactly! you watch where you watch. my living room has the better TV but sometimes i like to lie down watch TV in my bedroom. i don't care that the picture quality is better in one room to another. to me its like wacthing bootleg DVD's, yeah the quality sucks in the beginning but 10 minutes in, you could give two shiets.

Yeah, me too. I have a small 13" in my work room and my 27" Sony in my bedroom.

I'm waiting for the cash for THIS!!!

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/New..._0000101494.htm

which will be... never!

Yeah, me too. I have a small 13" in my work room and my 27" Sony in my bedroom.

I'm waiting for the cash for THIS!!!

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/New..._0000101494.htm

which will be... never!

hot damn thats gotta be pricey. and to think i've been holding out to pick up a 36" wega.

so, is there a blank option? Cuz I'm noticing people are voting for a non-existent option. :(

Anyways, guys. . . I'm trying to get everyone DYRL with the best possible subtitles on the best possible video source with the best possible presentation. It does matter to some people. So, I thought I'd ask. And the type of TV used (especially aspect ratio) matters a lot in how the DVD profile is configured.

H

Its not like I sit in a room full of audiovisual equipment and think what that particular DVD would be formated best on.

That's exactly the type of attitude I'm trying to facilitate. You shouldn't have to care. But the person mastering the DVD needs to. . . or things will looked borked.

H

Since you mentioned Anime, I'll tell you where I watch my anime... Everyone I know hates anime and thinks is for gays, this is probably due to the fact that in the US we have anime that caters to worthless weak children and fosters pussy attitudes.. Anime like Pokemon and Sailor Moon (just so you all know M7 fits right in here).

Anyway because everyone I know hates anime so much I am forced to watch most of it alone, so I watch it on my cell phone. I download the file, then re-encode it with subs and move it over to my cell. Theres some optimum viewing for ya.

hot damn thats gotta be pricey. and to think i've been holding out to pick up a 36" wega.

I tried three 36" Wega tubes before I settled on the Sony KP-53HS10 (which is now discontinued). I'd urge you to stay away from tubes that large. Color purity in the corners (pink glows, etc.) is tough to get on a tube that big. Anything over 32", and I strongly recommend a rear-projection TV (RPTV). When I finally turned away from tubes, I realized that I could get a bigger picture and actually use less space than a tube like the Wega. my 53" Sony RPTV isn't any "deeper" (pokes out from the wall) than the 36" tube. And, well, it's 53" vs only 36". . . and I was able to take it apart, align the optics, adjust the electronic and mechanical focus, etc. You can't do that on a tube.

Of course, you can now get LCD-based RPTVs. But CRT-based RPTVs still provide superior video quality (especially in dark scenes). A lot of people are caught up in the "flat" craze too. But nothing looks quite as good as a well-tuned CRT-based RPTV. Well, actually, nothing looks better than a CRT tube. But, those are size-limited. :)

But really, if you don't care much for picture quality, I wouldn't recommend Sony at all. . . just wander down to Costco and pick up whatever is cheapest!

But, once you see a well-tuned home theater system playing widescreen anamorphic DVDs or High-Def (HD) material, you'll never want to watch on anything else ever again.

H

I end up watching Anime on my PC monitor usually. Other than that there's a 27" regular TV in the basement I use.

What? There are only two 16x9 HDTV owners on this site? I know I'm one... Who is the other one? :blink:

HDTV is like getting the internet, an MP3 player or a phone for the first time... you don't know how you lived without it before.

:p

there is an HDTV on my brothers room, but I am too lazy to watch movies there. :lol:

hot damn thats gotta be pricey.  and to think i've been holding out to pick up a 36" wega.

I tried three 36" Wega tubes before I settled on the Sony KP-53HS10 (which is now discontinued). I'd urge you to stay away from tubes that large. Color purity in the corners (pink glows, etc.) is tough to get on a tube that big. Anything over 32", and I strongly recommend a rear-projection TV (RPTV). When I finally turned away from tubes, I realized that I could get a bigger picture and actually use less space than a tube like the Wega. my 53" Sony RPTV isn't any "deeper" (pokes out from the wall) than the 36" tube. And, well, it's 53" vs only 36". . . and I was able to take it apart, align the optics, adjust the electronic and mechanical focus, etc. You can't do that on a tube.

Of course, you can now get LCD-based RPTVs. But CRT-based RPTVs still provide superior video quality (especially in dark scenes). A lot of people are caught up in the "flat" craze too. But nothing looks quite as good as a well-tuned CRT-based RPTV. Well, actually, nothing looks better than a CRT tube. But, those are size-limited. :)

But really, if you don't care much for picture quality, I wouldn't recommend Sony at all. . . just wander down to Costco and pick up whatever is cheapest!

But, once you see a well-tuned home theater system playing widescreen anamorphic DVDs or High-Def (HD) material, you'll never want to watch on anything else ever again.

H

:huh: thats all rocket science to me, all i know are brand names. :D

36" wega sucks huh? maybe i'll save up for some kind of flat screen HDTV then. eh, who knows? i've been BS'ing about buying a new TV for the past 5 years but i like the idea of hanging my TV on the wall like a painting.

What? There are only two 16x9 HDTV owners on this site? I know I'm one... Who is the other one?  :blink:

HDTV is like getting the internet, an MP3 player or a phone for the first time... you don't know how you lived without it before.

:p

Well, I count myself as a widescreen TV owner, even though, when you first look at my TV, it's a 4:3 set.

My TV does a "anamorphic widescreen mode." So, I actually have my DVD player set up so that it thinks it's sending out a signal to a widescreen TV, so it sends out the anamorphic signal.

My TV's widescreen mode essentially turns the TV into a widescreen TV. Its raster actually squeezes down so that anamorphic widescreen movies display correctly while still using all lines of resolution. Unlike regular 4:3 TVs without anamorphic widescreen mode that actually have to use some of its lines of resolution to draw black bars above and below the image, my TV just isn't drawing anything for the black bars. All its capabilities are going into the actual film, just as a more conventional looking 16:9 TV would do. The same goes for HD material. It's really the best of both worlds. Standard TV fills the whole screen without distortion. . . and yet "widescreen enhanced/anamorphic" DVDs play back in all their glory.

Another way to put it is: If I put my TV in this widescreen mode (one push of a button), and saw off the upper and lower portions of the screen. . . it would be a widescreen TV. Though, I'd need to do some finishing work on the sawed off edges! :)

But I agree with you. Once you have a kick-ass home theater system, it's hard to watch movies or anything else at a friend's house ever again if they aren't similarly equipped. :)

And just because I love it so. . .

hometheater.jpg

Edited by Hurin

looks real nice and neat there.

Bah! That was before the girlfriend moved in! Now there's candles, coasters, doily-like things, and the Raiders of the Lost Ark poster has been replaced with a friggin' cat!!!

H

compared to sony... philips got better quality.

My parents bought a Loewe (which has a Philips screen) but trade it in for a Sony cause of easy use. Man that Sony quality sucks. <_<

Well, as with any brand, they make high-end and low-end stuff. Yes, there are Sony TVs that suck. But I'm pretty sure that Philips is making a TV right now that I could say sucked as well. It's really all about the value. Which TV sucks less for the money!?! :lol:

compared to sony... philips got better quality.

My parents bought a Loewe (which has a Philips screen) but trade it in for a Sony cause of easy use. Man that Sony quality sucks. <_<

well the newer ones maybe? :unsure:

i have a 21" trinitron from like 87 or something and it still works like its brand new, i've never had a single problem with it.

has sony's quality gotten that bad? like i said, i haven't shopped around for a new TV in ages but i figured sony would hold up. oh well, no wega for me i guess.

looks real nice and neat there.

Bah! That was before the girlfriend moved in! Now there's candles, coasters, doily-like things, and the Raiders of the Lost Ark poster has been replaced with a friggin' cat!!!

H

dude, she got pictures of flowers on my walls right now and we don't even live together. :mellow: at this point, i'd take a cat and some candles. :lol:

My current TV is a Phillips 42" 16x9 plasma. I'm not so happy with it as I would like to be (she has developed a few quirks that irk me from time to time) but it is a nice solid television. At my new house that is under construction I'm looking at a new Mitsu 62" DLP for the main "viewing theater"... but my wife has other thoughts for that money.

I also recently bought a 20" widescreen LCD monitor for my computer.

I've caught the flat widescreen bug. :ph34r:

I just bought a Samsung 30 inch HDTV Widescreen. Overall I like it. My old TV was a Sony 27 inch from 1996.

Just a word about Sony. The quality has dropped alot on their mid priced consumer electronics. Since the mid/late 90s when videogames became their bread & butter.

When I watch anime at home, it's usually on my computer, with a 19" Sony Trinitron CRT (wich has a better refresh than my Samsung LCD), but I actually watch most of the anime I see at a weekly anime night gathering with some friends, one of whom has a projector hooked up to their computer so we can watch anime on a large screen. Definitely the best way to watch anime at home, though still not quite as cool as seeing it on a theatre sized screen (Like when I saw DYRL? at Otakon a few years back).

How can anyone not care?

I use a 32" Sony flat tube.

It's got some image problems, but it beats the crap out of the other sets, which are cheap 25"s.

Sure I'll use something else, but I vastly prefer the nice set. Bigger screen, sharper image, better sound(best set's the only one with a home theater setup, one of the other 2 is freaking mono), better experience.

And it has component video coming in from the DVD player. The other 2 sets are composite input only(well, and RF. But who uses that?). Not even s-video.

It's only an NTSC set, sadly. No cash to get an ATSC one yet.

Edited by JB0

I primarily use a 32" Loewe Arcada. It's 4:3, digital(might be SD, Loewe stinks at giving info on their website), and makes just about everything, including my vast VHS library look outstanding. It can handle anamorphic material just like your's Hurin except I have generally one large black bar at the top. It really is the best of both worlds. It also has a VGA input, so I can watch my fansubs straight off my laptop. I love that TV, it's the only worthy seccessor to the Silvania of my childhood.

I just noticed that I voted incorrectly. I selected Digital 4:3, when I should have selected Digital 4:3 with 16:9 pulldown. :ph34r:

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I just noticed that I voted incorrectly. I selected Digital 4:3, when I should have selected Digital 4:3 with 16:9 pulldown. :ph34r:

Well crap! Now we have to start over. ;)