NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

Kind of off the Alpha topic...but...is it just me or are the MPC VF's all piles of poo? I just picked up 3 of the 1J's and opened the Rick Hunter one. It comes nowhere near my Bandai's or Yamato's...but yet I keep buying them. The 1S and 1A are on their way... :blink:

What's with the little magnet that fell out of the right leg? I think I'm just going to keep it in the box and never take it out. I really hope they up the QC on the new Alphas... :)

Now one has to wonder why you keep buying them...

I'm a gluten for punishment... ;) Naw...the reason I'm getting them, is that I'm getting them for dirt cheap. They do look good sitting next to each other on the shelf. Its just that they will never come out of the box.

Is Toynami's QC that bad? The current gen of mechs are all made in China(Bandai, Yamato). How come the MPC's came out like poo? How do they justify the prices for such bad quality? Is it that Toynami just chooses to use inferior designs?

Edited by VF Strike Valk

Kind of off the Alpha topic...but...is it just me or are the MPC VF's all piles of poo? I just picked up 3 of the 1J's and opened the Rick Hunter one. It comes nowhere near my Bandai's or Yamato's...but yet I keep buying them. The 1S and 1A are on their way... :blink:

What's with the little magnet that fell out of the right leg? I think I'm just going to keep it in the box and never take it out. I really hope they up the QC on the new Alphas... :)

I'm a gluten for punishment... ;) Naw...the reason I'm getting them, is that I'm getting them for dirt cheap. They do look good sitting next to each other on the shelf. Its just that they will never come out of the box.

Is Toynami's QC that bad? The current gen of mechs are all made in China(Bandai, Yamato). How come the MPC's came out like poo? How do they justify the prices for such bad quality? Is it that Toynami just chooses to use inferior designs?

Define "inferior designs", and then we can answer that one. The Yamato valks are designed in fighter mode and transform around that. The MPCs have the best looking Guardian/Gerwalk modes that I've seen in any toy or model. It's an issue of what you like most. I keep my MPC in Guardian mode, simply because of that reason.

As for QC issues, look at all the problems the Yamato toys had, up to and including these latest 1/60th series of toys.

However, I can say that I'm very interested in these Alpha toys. The sculpt look better than any other Alpha toy available, and for far less money.

The Toynami VF-1 is a Makes People Cry because Toynami is a new company and they don't understand the making of Japanese toys. They're trying to make American toys like Hasbro. Also, because it's a knockoff, Harmony Gold and Toynami have no cooperation from the owners and creators of Macross, even though they supposedly own the overseas rights. Buying the rights doesn't turn them into the original creators. Neither Studio Nue nor Big West can check the quality of the MPC, fit it in with their marketing plans, or ensure it's consistant with the series and the rest of the product line. Another thing is that Japanese toys tend to be high quality because the Japanese demand it.

Define "inferior designs", and then we can answer that one. The Yamato valks are designed in fighter mode and transform around that. The MPCs have the best looking Guardian/Gerwalk modes that I've seen in any toy or model. It's an issue of what you like most. I keep my MPC in Guardian mode, simply because of that reason.

As for QC issues, look at all the problems the Yamato toys had, up to and including these latest 1/60th series of toys.

However, I can say that I'm very interested in these Alpha toys. The sculpt look better than any other Alpha toy available, and for far less money.

I guess I mean "inferior" by the way the Valk is constructed. I held it up to one of my Bandai's and it wasn't even close. It felt so flimsy. In fighter mode it was so loose. The design can't even compare to chunky monkeys...a design that's 20 years old. I was just expecting more from Toynami for charging 80 bucks...the gerwalk mode may be the only redeeming factor. Unless they thought the US market was so hard up for Robotech collectibles that they can do this. Sorry about all the griping...finally an American company puts out something...but it won't stand up to an 20 year old takatoku. :( Even with problems with the Yamato...its still designed better...

Edited by VF Strike Valk

That's because the Bandai toys are built like a brick! :)

One description I heard is that you could drop your MPC off the desk, and it would break when it hit the floor. You could drop your Yamato off the desk and it would break when it hit the floor. You could drop your Bandai off your desk and watch it crush through the wood flooring and into the room below, still in one piece...

I had one of the first 1/60ths, and the legs on that sucker would fall off at a poor glance from the family dog. I was also unfortunate enough to have bought the original VF-11 toy. At least Yamato learned from these mistakes for the most part.

And I will grant you that the MPC isn't nearly as well constructed, generally. I think that Toynami learned from it's mistakes, too, and the Alpha will be better.

Is this Alpha based off of the old Gakken molds or are new sculpts? Even though it doesn't have that magical Yamato touch to it, it still looks great.

It's an original sculpt based off Imai's 1/48 Legioss kit, but in a smaller 1/55 scale to go with their VF-1s MPC (Major Piece of Crap) toys. From all the pictures I've seen, it looks pretty good, and seems to have several improvements over the plastic model. However, since QC is Toynami's Achiles's heel, the final product may not be anywhere near as sturdy as the old Gakken 1/35 scale toy. And the MSRP is just absurd.

wait.. major.. piece.. of crap? uh.. OH! OH WAIT! I GET IT!!! AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAha ho hem cough. ha.

You know what else is funny, we hear so many reports of yamato toys breaking when it's the Toynami toys that have bad QC.

Just re-watching Mospeada for the first time in more than ten years. I'd forgotten how fun it was.

I must say I'm really looking forward to the Toynami MPC Legioss toys when they are released next year. They are my most anticipated toy release of 2004 so far along with the Yamato Macross Zero toys.

Although I'm not a fan of Toynami's previous MPC or Superposeable toys, I'm fairly confident that they will strike a home run with the MPC Legioss toys.

The current sculpt of the MPC Legioss looks great IMO and while it may slightly resemble the old IMAI model kit, it seems to be much improved in terms of accuracy of the sculpt, articulation and features. At any rate it is light years ahead of the the old large Gakken toy in terms of accuracy.

I think Toynami will have learn't from their mistakes with the VF-1 MPC line. And to be honest, there weren't really that many problems with the VF-1 MPC IMO. OK, it's not a toy I would ever pay money for, but it didn't have too many QC probelms. Personally, my main disappointment with the VF-1 MPC comes from the very poor, inaccurate sculpt of the nosecone and intake area and the poor proportioning in battroid mode.

Anyway, I say good luck to Toynami with the Legioss MPC, as they're the only ones making Mospeada toys B))

Graham

Just re-watching Mospeada for the first time in more than ten years. I'd forgotten how fun it was.

I must say I'm really looking forward to the Toynami MPC Legioss toys when they are released next year. They are my most anticipated toy release of 2004 so far along with the Yamato Macross Zero toys.

Although I'm not a fan of Toynami's previous MPC or Superposeable toys, I'm fairly confident that they will strike a home run with the MPC Legioss toys.

The current sculpt of the MPC Legioss looks great IMO and while it may slightly resemble the old IMAI model kit, it seems to be much improved in terms of accuracy of the sculpt, articulation and features. At any rate it is light years ahead of the the old large Gakken toy in terms of accuracy.

I think Toynami will have learn't from their mistakes with the VF-1 MPC line. And to be honest, there weren't really that many problems with the VF-1 MPC IMO. OK, it's not a toy I would ever pay money for, but it didn't have too many QC probelms. Personally, my main disappointment with the VF-1 MPC comes from the very poor, inaccurate sculpt of the nosecone and intake area and the poor proportioning in battroid mode.

Anyway, I say good luck to Toynami with the Legioss MPC, as they're the only ones making Mospeada toys B))

Graham

Again, the problem with the MPC VF-1 is that it is a copy of the HCM VF-1 of old. Since Toynami was a new and upcoming company that had never made a large transforming toy before and since they probably didn't have the money to invest into the proper amount of engineering to create a VF-1 mold completely from scratch (George Sohn is said to be a big HCM fan, too), that's probably why they heavily "borrowed" from the HCM.

Here's hoping that the Legioss/Alpha turns out good. :)

The only problem with making a larger alpha would be if they made the Beta to match. so you have to take that into consideration. If they went to big the two linked would be hard to manage and also would put more stress on the link between the two and no one would want that to happen. So I guess its a trade off.

Problem remains, if they want 80 bucks for the alpha, how much are they going to ask for the beta.

Sorry it took so long, exams come first :p  I'm not sure if people have seen this before or not, but the articles states that it will be coming out in Summer of 2004  <_<

AlphaScan.jpg

Is it me or it just dont look right on the shoulder missile.

I've built the IMAI 1/48 transformable kit, and I think it's a great kit, lookwise and transformation. If toynami based their toy on the old imaii kit, they made it alot uglier. They changed the look of the shoulder "canon" and WHAT's UP WITH THE CLOWNSHOES?!?!

Wow, and they are making this 1/55 scale? THat;'s gonna be really small! toynami disappoints me yet again!

here's a pic of a side by side comparision of the 1/48 imai kit and the 1/48 yamato valkyrie. Although judging from the pilots, the imai kit is slightly smaller than 1/48, you can tell that the alphas are significantly smaller than valkyries, therefore 1/55 alpha is gonna be tiny!

post-26-1071816239_thumb.jpg

WHAT's UP WITH THE CLOWNSHOES?!?!

DEATH TO STUBBY LEGIOSS TOY TOE! LONG LIVE SERIES STYLE LONG TOE!!!

Gakken/Imai fully transformable Legioss's = Longer nose, shorter toes

MPC Alpha/Legioss = Shorter nose, longer toes

....hmmmmm...

Cyc

• 2 weeks later...

Ok all I got mines today, Yahoo!

1. Yes, there were smuges on the hip bar but very easy to wipe off.

2. Side head lasers bend a little inward but not as bad has the Roy MPC.

3. Hand and Fingers were pretty good. I have never had an issue with the hands before. Does still have limp wrist syndrone.

4. The pilot fiure for me was easier to put in this time.

5. Gun pod was easier to place in the arm in figther mode.

6. Were smuges here and there but good paint job overall.

7. Now for the legs. *Drum roll please.* The leg ratchets were tight. The right leg was as tight as the Max and Miriya MPC's the left was even tigher. I wished all my MPC's ratchets were as tight as the left leg on this one. In fighter mode the legs stay up very well.

I wont be giving a review on the YF-1R for a while, it'll be in tomorrow...but I'd like to include pictures of it compared to VF-1J Rick type. So pictures of that should come in over the weekend with a very detailed report on my Macross Sanctuary site. Along with that, I'm nearly done after two months of working, my Robotech: Soldiers Tale Jeht MPC....it's not bad looking, I believe I included pictures when we were at the old format months back of what it would be like and so far it's pretty accurate to what I wanted. Sadly I don't think I got any pictures of it with me from the design art. But I'm working on panel lines, decals and final painting.

The BIGGEST problem was covering areas that don't need to be painted and keep them clean...I sorta failed in many areas which I'll fix in future versions of Custom jobs. When it's completly finished, panel lines, decals, painting and so forth, I'll make sure to take pictures of it to show off...it's not as good as many customes, but I'm enjoying it. I REALLY REALLY need to outline the arch around the chest, that's the biggest problem right now.

Gamestop.com has new release dates up, starting with Scott Bernard on 2/20/04:

Gamestop Bernard Alpha Preorder

followed by rook bartley on 3/36, lancer on 4/30, and sue graham on 6/25. Given that the dates Gamestop originally

provided us for these toys were so wildly wrong, added to the fact that toynami does not have a great track record for

hitting their estimated release dates, I wouldn't take those dates too seriously. But, look at the bright side: the fact that

they're still listed means it's likely they'll come.. eventually. By this time next year we'll (probably) have new alpha toys! ;)

Edited by Shaggydog