NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

For some reason the green alpha's head looks a little odd to me. Maybe it's just the picture. Is it a photoshop job, or a real photograph?

Can someone tell me what the blue mark on the front of the red alpha's face is supposed to be? I note that it's a different color than the eyes (which are yellow). The superposeable had the blue mark too, but I don't think the big gakken toy had it. It looks like the drawing at the Mospeada home page has a blue mark of some sort inbetween the eyes, too. Is it just decorative, or is it supposed to be some sort of sensor? Is toynami correct to include that mark on their toy?

Thanks for posting the pix!

well, don't forget, it's just the prototype. And as for comparing it to the older 1/35, you can't really do that as the Gakken ones were nowhere near accurate with the cartoon. The toynami ones are suppose to be as accurate with the cartoon as possible. So we just gotta wait and see! :p:D:lol:

The sensor is a bit weird... It looks like it sits a bit high up... Like the pivot joint is too tall...

And the head on the Red Alpha does look wrong... It looks too much like the Scott Type head, and I'm almost positive that the Blue and Red Alpha heads are slightly different... in the "face" area.

All in all though, I'm excited for this line as well. Can't wait to get my hands on one...

OHH, and the Voltron line... I wouldn't mind picking up those too... The protos did look pretty good, but I thought they lacked some detail honestly. Hopefully the production version will be "dressed up" a bit more.

yup. that's my complaint as well, that the sensor pod sits to high up, wish they made it a bit more flush with the torso... that and the sculpt on the sensor itself, just looks like a rectangular piece of plastic with a red round bit stuck on the end.

oh well... I'll deal. or maybe someone will make an aftermarket bit for that piece....?

The question is: will they make a shadow drone? It was seen longer than the VF-1R after all...

Unlikely, because that would take more body work than a Shadow Fighter, where the YF-1R used the existing body/molds and just needed a new head.

Cyc

I really wish they had flared the sensor eye on that green one more.  The head sculpt on the red legioss doesn't quite look right to me either, but I'm not sure why.

hmmm.... that little box thing on the side of the green one's head... does the box stick out from the rest of the head or is it just a detail... and if if it does stick out, is it only on that one side and if it's on both sides, isn't it missing on the MPC?

looked at the gakken version, and the gakken has the little box (up, near back of the head) on both sides, so it is missing from the mock ups shown... hope they fixed that in the production run.

Edited by eugimon

I wouldn't read too much into these new pics. They're obviously older and from prototype pics. We have seen a red alpha though earlier in this thread, and it looks the same as this new picture. Hopefully they work on both the red and the green, as they look pretty far off from the show.

I really like the look of the prototype green Alpha battroid (sorry, Legioss Armo-Soldier). The head looks great to me.

However, for some reason the picture of the red battroid makes me think it looks like it's made out of LEGO :lol:

Graham

I really like the look of the prototype green Alpha battroid (sorry, Legioss Armo-Soldier). The head looks great to me.

However, for some reason the picture of the red battroid makes me think it looks like it's made out of LEGO :lol:

Graham

Probably because of the right side.

The open lid with the missiles sticking out looks like the top of a lego block.

So far everything looks good from the pictures. The only negative in my book is the clown feet. I can live with them, but I'm not sure why they made them so big. The only reason I can think of is for stability in Armo-Diver and perhaps Armo-Soldier modes.

Of course pictures don't tell the whole story and what looks to be a promising toy, could still be ruined by loose joints, conecting pegs which don't hold together and parts which constantly fall off (hands?).

Hopefully Toynami have done their homework and will deliver us a kick-ass toy.

Graham

It is soooo hard to wait for this toy to come out!

I paid over $300 US for a MIB Gakken Alpha Fighter which is nowhere close to the anime accuracy of this toy.

I very much like my MPC Valkrie which I paid $60 for. I like the diecast content and the flat paint job.

This toy will rule. Mark my words. It will rule.

It is soooo hard to wait for this toy to come out!

I paid over $300 US for a MIB Gakken Alpha Fighter which is nowhere close to the anime accuracy of this toy.

I very much like my MPC Valkrie which I paid $60 for. I like the diecast content and the flat paint job.

This toy will rule. Mark my words. It will rule.

how can you say for sure? None of us have handled the thing, and those who have havent manhandled it yet for a certified review. Like many I remain skepical with good reason.

It's good to stay skeptical. I'm waiting until it is on my shelf for a week before I start singing it's praises. I, like almost everyone else that is posting here, want these things worse than anything... but I still have this nagging little voice in my head saying "It's Toynami... they'll brick something on this toy. Don't get too worked up yet."

The more you get worked up about it the more you will be let down if it turns out to be a total dud. Then again, "dud" these days is in the eye of the beholder. I love my 1/48 Yamatos but sometimes you see people who will drown a bag of puppies rather than buy another 1/48 due to their dissapointment with them.

Ok....

the $64,000 question is WHY 2 yrs? Cyclones MPCs should already be in the development stages....it shouldnt take that long.

It's probably going to take them that long to get the mold done! :p

Toynami tends to like to base their Robotech work on already-existing molds. 2 years is actually sooner than I thought it would be. I was expecting 2007-2008.

The more I look at tread/beta lineart, the more I thnk that thing just can't work in 3d. Some parts do a lot of morphing or vanishing from mode to mode. And then complicate things by adding the legioss connection? The cockpit size seems like it would have to be a bit too small and... I don't know...

Anyone have any detailed lineart of a tread transformation? How did that super-rare tread toy work? any Links? did it have all 3 modes?

Could easily be wrong, but I think any tread toy would have to look rather different from the lineart in at least two modes in order to transform and link up. So long as the thing retained a kickin' mospeada style, I wouldn't mind radically different shapes and details in some areas. However, I doubt Toynami would be willing to joust with their own rabid fans over Tread designs. They'd be more likely to just say it can't be done and move on.

Anyone have any detailed lineart of a tread transformation?  How did that super-rare tread toy work?  any Links?  did it have all 3 modes?

The link to Carl Hoff's Tread toy is on the MW main page. Open it and click on the link for Gakken Tread.

Macrossworld, more than just the forums...cough, cough.

Graham

The more I look at tread/beta lineart, the more I thnk that thing just can't work in 3d. Some parts do a lot of morphing or vanishing from mode to mode. And then complicate things by adding the legioss connection? The cockpit size seems like it would have to be a bit too small and... I don't know...

Anyone have any detailed lineart of a tread transformation? How did that super-rare tread toy work? any Links? did it have all 3 modes?

Could easily be wrong, but I think any tread toy would have to look rather different from the lineart in at least two modes in order to transform and link up. So long as the thing retained a kickin' mospeada style, I wouldn't mind radically different shapes and details in some areas. However, I doubt Toynami would be willing to joust with their own rabid fans over Tread designs. They'd be more likely to just say it can't be done and move on.

id bet that interest in the MPC line will die off after the shadow is released.........thje cyclones will do fairly well but when a rt.com made character like jack archer gets a cyclone variant and crap interest will die dramatically soon after......so BETA will never be produced. Think about it. In 2 years what makes you think the robotech audience will evbenb be paying attention? Not many I imagine..with all these delays and such. To me it was not a good idea to lead on fans about teh BETA to begin with and finally say in na email only made IF it sells well. Since there is that IF there shnoiuldnt have been a 1/55 alp[ha to begin with. I am sure I would be hap;py with a 1/35 MPC because then i would throw 80%$ for it right away.....but if the beta does not come out which i doubt will reach fruition, then the whole excuse for the small alpha being small to combine is literally a waste.

Anyone have any detailed lineart of a tread transformation?  How did that super-rare tread toy work?  any Links?  did it have all 3 modes?

The link to Carl Hoff's Tread toy is on the MW main page. Open it and click on the link for Gakken Tread.

Macrossworld, more than just the forums...cough, cough.

Graham

Really? hmmmm.

:p

I'd forgotten that was there. (the main page AND the tread pics...)

Thanks Graham.

I read either in this thread or the MWcon pics thread that Kevin from Valk Exchange said that the first wave were on the boat and heading here. I think he said they should start shipping to retailers the first week of August.

As for the Tread/Beta... In looking at the links of the toy here... it appears that they got the link up to be done FAIRLY well with technology of the day it was made... I will still keep hope that Toynami may just come through on this one.

Edited by rocco_77

Anybody confirm that is it now Sept is the release date for the MPC Alpha?

Where did you hear that?

IMHO the Beta is a good idea. And not only bacause I'd kill for one, but because there's still a fair amount of Mospeada fans in the far east that like us, waited many years for one good Alpha/Legioss toy (a market that Toynami has also noticed). The Beta case is even more dramatic, since a few rare toys of it were ever produced.

I don't think the interest in Robotech will fade out. After all these years the RT fanbase is still there, and IMO the same can be said of the Mospeada fans. In the end I doubt seriously that Toynami releases the Beta tho', but for other reasons: It probably won't sell as good as the Alpha, and Toynami is still a small company that must focus their efforts in make the biggest profit possible. The good news is that Tom is a huge RT fan :)

I'll keep dreamin on the Beta, anyway. And if this worth anything I wouldn't mind if Toynami bends the design a bit to make it possible ;)

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

i got an email from toynami saying the alphas should be in an august....

the first wave is completely sold out from them, and retailers have to order the second wave to get more...those are prob going to get here in Oct or Sept

Does this means that the one I have on preorder since april will get here 'till october?! :blink:

the first wave is completely sold out from them, and retailers have to order the second wave to get more...those are prob going to get here in Oct or Sept

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt Toynami on this since there is a significant pent up demand for this new MPC, let it be a warning to all procrastinators: if you want a new transformable Alpha toy, Scot's/Stick's at any rate, you had better think hard about weather or not to bite the bullet and order it now...it looks like this thing will sell out, fast. This is not intended to push anyone into spending money they may not have, or peddling a product that may or may not live up to expectations, but one should keep Yamato's Low Vis in mind; many have waited too long and now find themselves scrambling to find this coveted item and paying outrageous prices for it. ;)

id bet that interest in the MPC line will die off after the shadow is released.........thje cyclones will do fairly well but when a rt.com made character like jack archer gets a cyclone variant and crap interest will die dramatically soon after......so BETA will never be produced. Think about it. In 2 years what makes you think the robotech audience will evbenb be paying attention? Not many I imagine..with all these delays and such. To me it was not a good idea to lead on fans about teh BETA to begin with and finally say in na email only made IF it sells well. Since there is that IF there shnoiuldnt have been a 1/55 alp[ha to begin with. I am sure I would be hap;py with a 1/35 MPC because then i would throw 80%$ for it right away.....but if the beta does not come out which i doubt will reach fruition, then the whole excuse for the small alpha being small to combine is literally a waste.

They are starting the new Shadow Force show next year so if it's not crap then interest in the toys could actually be at an all time high. (I don't want to start to even think about the quality of the show so let's not start that.) There's all this interest now with just the DVDs being released. Imagine if there's new material and if the alpha and beta play prominent roles then I'm sure there will be more people wanting toys to continue the line.

If it's at least two years for a beta then does that mean we might get cyclones in the meantime?

id bet that interest in the MPC line will die off after the shadow is released.........thje cyclones will do fairly well but when a rt.com made character like jack archer gets a cyclone variant and crap interest will die dramatically soon after......so BETA will never be produced.  Think about it.  In 2 years what makes you think the robotech audience will evbenb be paying attention? Not many I imagine..with all these delays and such. To me it was not a good idea to lead on fans about teh BETA to begin with and finally say in na email only made IF it sells well.  Since there is that IF there shnoiuldnt have been a 1/55 alp[ha to begin with.  I am sure I would be hap;py with a 1/35 MPC because then i would throw 80%$ for it right away.....but if the beta does not come out which i doubt will reach fruition, then the whole excuse for the small alpha being small to combine is literally a waste.

They are starting the new Shadow Force show next year so if it's not crap then interest in the toys could actually be at an all time high. (I don't want to start to even think about the quality of the show so let's not start that.) There's all this interest now with just the DVDs being released. Imagine if there's new material and if the alpha and beta play prominent roles then I'm sure there will be more people wanting toys to continue the line.

If it's at least two years for a beta then does that mean we might get cyclones in the meantime?

I agree with you... I think the new series ( if it ever comes out ) will revive interest in the alpha/beta combo....

I figure the alpha comes out this year... leads into the show and the new game, which should help sales of a cyclone, which I would think is already in the pipe and getting ready to come out, and then the beta comes out... the show should be in what, season 2 or 3 by then? should be a fair amount of interest.

I do believe those are Toynami's plans; after all the Alpha variations are released the next MPC subjects should be the cyclones/ride-armors, and if past practice is any indication, the first 3 should be Scott, Rand, and Lancer, as those already exist in kit form, and I'd bet that they will be around 1/12 scale.

Does this means that the one I have on preorder since april will get here 'till october?! :blink:

Toynami is sold out of the first wave, that doesn't mean the vendors that bought them are. I would assume the time your order comes in would depend on when your supplier ordered the MPC Alpha's from toynami, and if they tried to put in the order now, then you would be screwed :D

The last I heard from Tam over at Twin Moons he said they should be out this month but it doesn't look promising at this point. So August seems more than likely at this point in time. Well regardless of when it comes out the sooner the better. As for places being sold out. I know Twin Moons is sold out of there first batch.

Here is official email i got from Toynami:

Thank you very much for your inquiry.

Actually the Masterpiece Collection Scott Bernard's VFA-6H (3110) has not

been released yet - it has been pushed back to in August.  But we currently

pre-sold-out for the first production run and we will be able to ship in

November - December if you order now.