The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Yeah, AMC sold those Eagle things back in the early 80's. Weren't they 4WD or AWD? Arguably among the first of the "crossover SUV/cars" that seem to be becoming the rage among auto makers nowadays.

Eagle gradually became what would be used for the Talon's "parent company" when the Talon was really a project done by Diamond-Star Motors, a joint thingy done between Chrysler and Mitsubishi.

It is funny though how stuff done 20-40 years ago is becoming all the rage now, I mean look at it, now we're all driving big cars again, just like we were in the '70's when we were "supposed" to be saving gas...yet people gripe and complain when their SUV's can't get over 14mpg. (For me it's a great thing when my V8 box-on-wheels LeBaron can get 17mpg!!)

another odd tidbit to be considered is what happens to the Pacer when you stuff a 390 AMC V8 into it: the thing becomes a Rocket!!!

New 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse review: http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102412

Ugly, overweight (3472lbs!!), overpriced (pay a bit more and get an Evo RS), FWD and Mitsubishi... but gets pretty positive remarks from the drive test, especially compared to the previous model. Best part of the article is where Mitsubishi's GM of design calls it a "sports car."

:D

Still not sure why the car exists given Mitsubishi's financial problems and the low-cost performance car they offer for just a little bit more (Lan Evo).

Just saw the new Audi Missing 2006 Audi A3 commercial. Har, Har. What kind of game is this and what is the prize? Anyone know the scoop? I'm on my laptop (slow POS) so I can't go to Audi of America or google to find out and I am curious.. Admittedly though, it is a neat marketing ploy.

And congrats to Grayson on the car. She is a beauty. :)

I dont mean to sound mean or anything, but AMC died in the 1980's, as they sold a BUNCH of Gremlins during the 1970's when Gas Crisis I+II hit.  They also produced the Javelin, and the AMX (2-seat hipo Javelin) during 1969-1971, and the AMX was a Javelin performance package from 1972-1975.  AMC also bought up Willys-Overland in the early 1960's and was their last marque with AMC itself until the Chrysler Corp bought them in the late 1980's.

Actually, AMC was purchased by Daimler/Chrysler and many parts are sold under the Chrysler name to this very day.

Gremlins were only created to compete with the Ford Pinto (which actually sold with feverish success) in sales. The AMX run from 1972 on, basically it was intented as an environmentally friendly vehicle that just flopped.

Since AMC demise, much interest has befallen these vehicle (mainly musclecaresque types). It is a well know fact that AMC Engines, particularly the 232ci were widely used by JEEP as they are extremely well built and reliable blocks.

I personally own a 1969 AMC Rambler, 199cu, In-line 6, Alpine White with Metallic Blue interior (a real grandpa car). It really is a wonderful car. Everytime I show up at a carshow, someone always begins to tell me stories of the time when they or someone in their family owned one at some point in their history.

Still, one day I would like to own a SCRambler Type "A", but $25,000 for a decent specimen seems a bit steep right now. I might just consider building a clone.

***And when I begin building it, what forum would it be under? :p

Edited by nightmareB4macross

From motortrend.com : new 2008 GTO spied. Interestingly enough, this design is under the direction of Mike Simcoe, the Aussie who's credited for the design of the current "GTO" (Holden Monaro). It looks pretty good; the rear trunklid is too dang high though. That raising waistline gives it a bit too much of a "pinewood racer" wedge look to it--that, plus rearward visibility has got to be absolute sh-t (gives the overall body outline the shape of a doorjamb, with a roof on it). The good thing for fans of the traditional "muscle car" platform (i.e. front engine, RWD) is that this "Zeta" platform should serve as the basis for more models. Even saw scuttlebut somewhere that the Chevelle nameplate may make a return. The sceptic in me says GM engineers/marketing will figure out a way to fu-k it up though, just like they did with the "Malibu" badge.

post-26-1117128212_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

At least it has some character now. Nobody is going to mistake that for a Cavalier. I wonder if the hood scoops will be functional.

god I hope so....there's nothing in this world than I hate more is non-functional pieces on a car (hood scoops, ducts, wings, etc.)

Any hint of when or even if General Motors plans on bringing back the Camaro or Firebird? Just curious.

And I rather like the design of the new Goat...not as much as I like the '07 Shelby Cobra, but it isn't bad at all. :) Hope Pontiac pays as much attention to interior detail on this car as they did the last GTO. Say what you want about the boxy exterior, the interior was very nice. Why the frak is it usually so difficult for American sports car manufacturers to include even basic side bolstered seats in their cars...something the Cobra didn't even get until '03.

By the way, any powerplant changes from the '05 GTO....or will it maintain the LS2 6.0L V-8?

Melissa

Is anybody else sick to death of all the hype surrounding Danica Patrick? If I see one more over-promoted interview/soundbite/feature on Danica, I may HURL! Not to detract from Danica herself--I saw the "wobble" during qualifying for the Indy 500, and no doubt, that gal's got the skillz. But what's making me sick to death is the over-hyping being done by the mainstream media. This whole "I am woman, hear me roar" routine really only serves to eventually make the masses tire of the phenom they try to create. I mean ferchrissakes, she's getting more coverage than the guy who won the bloody race!

That, plus I think there are other women drivers more deserving of the attention. I for one cast my vote for Milka Duno. She's accomplished, in many different types of race car--from "baby" LMP 675s to the big dog LMP 900s, to GTs, even in those sh-tty Daytona Prototypes; and she shows she's competitive in all. Most of all, she's got WINS to her credit. She's smart; she's got like 4 master's degrees. And not to mention, she's gorgeous. I remember when I worked the paddocks, she had a grace of step and an aire that would turn heads. Whenever she walked through, all eyes were on her; us guys would stop what we were doing just to watch--definitely a class act.

http://www.citgo.com/Sports/CITGORacing/Driver.jsp

post-26-1117571239.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Yeah, I agree that the media went completely overboard with Danica Patrick and the Indy 500. But you gotta admit that she is hot.

I'd bump draft that!

I'd tap it until the bumper was broke in nicely...

<_< eh... Not a fan of half naked chicks in front of cars. I like women, and I like cars, but I see no need to put them together.

<_< eh... Not a fan of half naked chicks in front of cars. I like women, and I like cars, but I see no need to put them together.

i guess you don't like lowrider and it's affiliated magazines then :rolleyes::lol::lol:

<_<  eh...  Not a fan of half naked chicks in front of cars.  I like women, and I like cars, but I see no need to put them together.

i guess you don't like lowrider and it's affiliated magazines then :rolleyes::lol::lol:

haha... $500 wheels or a $100 car. Yay... Yeah well, they have to put girls in front of the cars because the cars are lame.

Any hint of when or even if General Motors plans on bringing back the Camaro or Firebird? Just curious.

I keep hearing talk of the comeback in a few years but never really seen anything. With the success of the new Mustang, it would seem illogical for GM not to respond much like the did in the 60's.

Any hint of when or even if General Motors plans on bringing back the Camaro or Firebird?  Just curious. 

I keep hearing talk of the comeback in a few years but never really seen anything. With the success of the new Mustang, it would seem illogical for GM not to respond much like the did in the 60's.

Yeah, but GM's not exactly known for making decisions that make sense these days, are they?

Yeah, but GM's not exactly known for making decisions that make sense these days, are they?

Well, I do like the Solstice/Sky and a 500hp Vette is cool. The Cobalt is also a decent looking cheap car. Here and there they seem to do something right. It would be nice to see more vehicles I would actually consider buying, though. Even if they made a cool Camaro, I wouldn't be able to buy it. I need 4 doors for the kids and all. They need to recognize that people want RWD vehicles that aren't ass looking like Cadi's.

Any hint of when or even if General Motors plans on bringing back the Camaro or Firebird?  Just curious. 

sad to say it (for me that is)....but neither is DaimlerChrysler these days....

Remember kids, the "Chrysler" is silent!

sad to say it (for me that is)....but neither is DaimlerChrysler these days....

Remember kids, the "Chrysler" is silent!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that about Chrysler. I may not like the styling of some of their vehicles--but then again, Chrysler products have always been the "Mavericks" of the big 3 in that department, haven't they? I definitely DO like their marketing strategies. They don't try to create cookie-cutter cars for everyman. They know they have a specific segment of the market, and they target them appropriately. To their credit, Chrysler offers "hot-rodded" SRT versions of nearly all their cars: from trucks, to station wagons, to sports cars, right on down to the economy Neon (8 models so far, IIRC). They know there's a segment out there that wants traditional, RWD platforms, with options to make them more sporty/powerful; and that's just what they offer.

GM on the other hand; what the higher-ups there have done/are doing could arguably be considered downright INCOMPETENCE. I mean really; they dump all their pony-car and sedan models on V8/RWD platforms in favor of FWD with wheezy V6s and trucks/SUVs. They bet the farm on the SUV/utility craze and crank these out like gangbusters, and surprise, surprise--they wind up reporting losses in the 9-figure range ($800mil, wasn't it?). Now, they're getting more and more desparate, having to offer deep price cuts--basically, employee level discounts and rebates across the board, on virtually every domestic model--in order to make ends meet. C'mon, why aren't these guys getting tossed out on their arses? Instead, they get golden parachutes and 6-figure bonuses while employee pensions and profit margins hang in serious doubt. :angry:

P.S. What the hell happened to the Charger between this concept model and the actual roll-out? I know, I know; NASCAR needed a sihlouette shape on the quick-step, so's they could re-introduce the nameplate. Sooo....

post-26-1117829156_thumb.jpg

GM on the other hand; what the higher-ups there have done/are doing could arguably be considered downright INCOMPETENCE. I mean really; they dump all their pony-car and sedan models on V8/RWD platforms in favor of FWD with wheezy V6s and trucks/SUVs. They bet the farm on the SUV/utility craze and crank these out like gangbusters, and surprise, surprise--they wind up reporting losses in the 9-figure range ($800mil, wasn't it?). Now, they're getting more and more desparate, having to offer deep price cuts--basically, employee level discounts and rebates across the board, on virtually every domestic model--in order to make ends meet. C'mon, why aren't these guys getting tossed out on their arses? Instead, they get golden parachutes and 6-figure bonuses while employee pensions and profit margins hang in serious doubt. :angry:

I really hate having to defend American companies, but the new Z06 and GTO pretty redeem any of GM's dumb ideas in my eyes. Who really misses the Camaro/Firebird? They looked like crap, handled like crap, and had crappy GM interiors. Yeah, the LS1 was an awesome motor but that was the one worthwhile part of those cars.

Not to mention GM's feat of completely overhauling Cadillac is probably one of the greatest decisions made by an American auto manufacturer in the last 25 years. 10 years ago Cadillacs were junk and pretty much worthless next to European and Japanese luxury brands, to be purchased only by blue haired old ladies. Now they're a nearly attractive, internationally COMPETITIVE (reviews are saying the STS is as good, if not better, than comparable BMW's) brand.

GM on the other hand; what the higher-ups there have done/are doing could arguably be considered downright INCOMPETENCE.  I mean really; they dump all their pony-car and sedan models on V8/RWD platforms in favor of FWD with wheezy V6s and trucks/SUVs.  They bet the farm on the SUV/utility craze and crank these out like gangbusters, and surprise, surprise--they wind up reporting losses in the 9-figure range ($800mil, wasn't it?).  Now, they're getting more and more desparate, having to offer deep price cuts--basically, employee level discounts and rebates across the board, on virtually every domestic model--in order to make ends meet.  C'mon, why aren't these guys getting tossed out on their arses?  Instead, they get golden parachutes and 6-figure bonuses while employee pensions and profit margins hang in serious doubt.  :angry:

I really hate having to defend American companies, but the new Z06 and GTO pretty redeem any of GM's dumb ideas in my eyes. Who really misses the Camaro/Firebird? They looked like crap, handled like crap, and had crappy GM interiors. Yeah, the LS1 was an awesome motor but that was the one worthwhile part of those cars.

Not to mention GM's feat of completely overhauling Cadillac is probably one of the greatest decisions made by an American auto manufacturer in the last 25 years. 10 years ago Cadillacs were junk and pretty much worthless next to European and Japanese luxury brands, to be purchased only by blue haired old ladies. Now they're a nearly attractive, internationally COMPETITIVE (reviews are saying the STS is as good, if not better, than comparable BMW's) brand.

You're right about the Camaro/Firebird. I think in the end, they just needed killing. GM just didn't seem to get it. Sure, they made the F-bodies perform better than the competition (Mustang). In magazine test after test, the F-bodies usually bested the Mustang in a variety of parameters. But the 'Stangs still outsold them by almost 2:1. The latest gen F-bodies were just dog's arse ugly--looked like aardvarks on wheels.

The GTO? Bob Lutz can't beat his chest over that one, 'cause all he did was stand on the shoulders of others. The Aussies already built it; all he did was have it re-badged and converted to LHD (in a nutshell).