The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

3D made a sick car. Procharger is stating I think 430 rwhp on the new Stang. KB supercharges is still working on their twin screw. The Shelby's hood actually had heat extractors, but the cars that have been seen are different. It looks like the design is still up in the air. The Saleens do have vents in the hood, not sure if they are performance orientated though.

"and for the record, I prefer the EVO over the WRX."

(make fart sounds with mouth after reading above statement).

311518[/snapback]

Hahahahaha, a Jetta. Funny!

While I'd trust Subaru's reliability over Mitsubishi's any day, the Evo is a more interesting car than the STi. Better race heritage, better handling, the bad-ass factor of not having a warranty... :lol:

Some of the better executed concepts with the new Mustang from this year's SEMA...

#1: 3dCarbon

#2: Street Scene Equipment

#3: Steeda Autosports (don't like the rear spoiler legs, though)

#4: Roush Performance

311559[/snapback]

The only ones I really cared for was the Classic Design Concepts and the Steeda, minus the racing spoiler of course. If they had swapped that thing for something similar to a last-gen Cobra R spoiler then it would be awesome. But the CDC shaker hood scoop is frikken incredible!

"and for the record, I prefer the EVO over the WRX."

(make fart sounds with mouth after reading above statement).

311518[/snapback]

ummm....that's a Volkswagen....not a Evo...

but Jetta's are nice too.

(see that button down there on the right? that's the quote button!)

Admittedly, I've been hearing some warranty wierdness recently from Subaru. One guy had a brake line (could have been PS, not brake, not positive) leak, which caused a fire, Subaru denied him coverage based on his (dealer installed) catback exhaust. However, he's appealing to Corporate, and it seems that they'll cover it, as there's no way the exhaust could be related.

Admittedly, I've been hearing some warranty wierdness recently from Subaru. One guy had a brake line (could have been PS, not brake, not positive) leak, which caused a fire, Subaru denied him coverage based on his (dealer installed) catback exhaust. However, he's appealing to Corporate, and it seems that they'll cover it, as there's no way the exhaust could be related.

311921[/snapback]

Subaru sucks with warranties as well. The ironic part is that they gave out SCCA memberships with the WRX, but if you actually raced the car they'd try to void the warranty.

My friends 04 WRX with less than 20k on the odometer had to get his transmission replaced and it was an uphill battle to get them to pay for it. They initially refused since he had a blow off valve, and we all know what big power gains you get from a BOV. :rolleyes:

Still better than the reliable of a Shitsubishi and the horrible way they treat EVO owner's.

just skip all the silly teenage ricer-roni and get yourself an Audi S4.  :rolleyes:

now thats a REAL turbo charged, AWD, rally bred sedan (unless you get one newer than 2002 when they went to a naturally aspirated V8.)

311948[/snapback]

The Subaru Impreza was designed specifically to be used in the WRC. The older Legacy was too heavy/large to perform as needed, so the smaller Impreza was designed.

Not to mention, Mitsubishi and Subaru still race in the WRC! Can't say that for Audi...

P.S. Waffen, come to Large Prime Numbers. We miss you.

true, the Legacy is still a big car...for a Subaru.

so what's this about with the Evo not coming with a warranty?

312028[/snapback]

It comes with one, but everything I've heard is that dealers are absolute pains to recognize the damn things. Mitsubishi has gone so far as to monitor SCCA results on websites and cross-reference those names to people who own Mitsubishi's and cancel warranties on matches.

It's ridiculous to release a car that was MEANT to be a performance vehicle, and not support it. Other companies are guilty as well, but Subaru and Mitsubishi are by the far the most outspoken and visible on the subject. On Mitsubishi's part, it can be partially attributed to the fact they're in serious financial trouble and trying to cut corners wherever they can.

true, the Legacy is still a big car...for a Subaru.

so what's this about with the Evo not coming with a warranty?

312028[/snapback]

It comes with one, but everything I've heard is that dealers are absolute pains to recognize the damn things. Mitsubishi has gone so far as to monitor SCCA results on websites and cross-reference those names to people who own Mitsubishi's and cancel warranties on matches.

It's ridiculous to release a car that was MEANT to be a performance vehicle, and not support it. Other companies are guilty as well, but Subaru and Mitsubishi are by the far the most outspoken and visible on the subject. On Mitsubishi's part, it can be partially attributed to the fact they're in serious financial trouble and trying to cut corners wherever they can.

312035[/snapback]

well, a company must do what it must do. Besides, if people are racing/autocrossing the things then the wear and tear will show up on the car as it is, plus they are probably doing their own tuneups with better-than OEM parts. wouldn't that void the warranty too? (i've never owned a car new enough to have a warranty, so I wouldnt know)

Bentley Continental GT coupe is ugly??  :blink:

its only one of the hottest cars on the road right now..

Yup, the Continental is a real beauty, a classic traditional "Grand Tourer" Now, for those who've got a heaping sh--load of money, and only want the best of the best, there's the Continental GT/LM. The cost of the upgrade is US $170,000 [in addition to the $150,000 price? MY ARSE!], and for that you get:

Carbon Fiber body panels

Steel Roof panel

Front Carbon Fiber air splitter

Rear Carbon Fiber diffuser with rear under tray

Roof Vent

Special Green and silver racing paint

Roll Cage

Fire Suppression system

Carbon Fiber Sparco racing seats with 5-point harness

Shorter Carbon Fiber center consol

Carbon Fiber inner and outer door skins

Lexguard quarter windows with brake and diff. cooling lines

Removed rear seating for shelf

Removal of insulation/carpets and any other product that takes up space and weight

Pressed aluminum floor pans

Borla Stainless Steel Hi-Flow mufflers and 2 ¾ Stainless Steel exhaust tubes

Stainless Steel Exhaust tips

New large Flow turbos

Larger fuel delivery system

Larger air corrector and throttle body

Advanced ECU/ECM electronics

Hi-Flow air cleaner

20X11 BBS lightweight wheels

Pirelli low profile P Zero tyres

"The LM is a lightweight ver. of the Continental, with a weight savings of over 1000 lbs." Well, seeing as how the GT weighs in at "about 5260 lbs," these porkers could stand some lightening, allright. But it's still a kick-ass car...

I remember thinking what a shame it was that Bentley didn't develop this car for GT racing, instead of chucking heaping loads of money out the window like they did on that Prototype program; but I'll concede the practical side of me did reason that the road going car was too heavy a platform to start off trying to make a racer out of it to compete w/Corvette & Aston. But hey, looks like somebody at Bentley already had the same idea...

post-1488-1121911918_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1121913531_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

How do you make JsARCLIGHT cry? This is how: The horror... the horror...

312771[/snapback]

Oh DEAR. GOD!! NO!! NOOOOOO!!! Oh, the humanity! That really really sucks. I'd hate to try to put dollar values on the damages to those cars, especially with T/A values headed for the stratosphere like they have the past few years. Somebody's insurance agent is going to curl up under his desk and sh-t himself! I've personally seen a lot of those cars run at my local track, and that black #0 Camaro is one wicked fast sum-bitch. LOL, I know some mechanics/body men at race shops around the country are gonna be cussing and putting in long hours for quite a while! :lol:

How could I forget the most important thing of all though--I hope that bloke in the Cobra came out of it all-right; cars, no matter how historically significant, can always be repaired or replaced much easier than people can...

Edited by reddsun1

How do you make JsARCLIGHT cry? This is how: The horror... the horror...

312771[/snapback]

Oh DEAR. GOD!! NO!! NOOOOOO!!! Oh, the humanity! That really really sucks. I'd hate to try to put dollar values on the damages to those cars, especially with T/A values headed for the stratosphere like they have the past few years. Somebody's insurance agent is going to curl up under his desk and sh-t himself! I've personally seen a lot of those cars run at my local track, and that black #0 Camaro is one wicked fast sum-bitch. LOL, I know some mechanics/body men at race shops around the country are gonna be cussing and putting in long hours for quite a while! :lol:

312776[/snapback]

you could always look at it this way: at least the pieces to resurrect these things are availiable...

Thanks for that link JsARCLIGHT. Some interesting pics for sure. This one, I think, serves as good evidence to the fact that: while some of those who participate in vintage racing may have the necessary independent wealth to own/support such fabulous vehicles, it still doesn't make them suited to DRIVE just ANY kind of vintage race car. Note the intrepid soul in the #27 car. C'mon, man, get yourself into a damned sedan--you need to give up on this whole "I'm gonna be an open wheel racer" thing at some point. This fellow is obviously a tad bit "oversized" to properly fit into this car. The tech inspectors should not let him race like that...

If it's any consolation, IIRC, I don't think that white/blue Pontiac T/A on the Start/Finish line is a genuine Trans Am car--I think it's a replica, built by YearOne...I may be wrong on that.

Totalled a '71 Camaro? Where? I didn't see a '71 in the pics. Where? Where? I missed it...

post-1488-1121914525_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

I don't see any 2nd gen Camaro's in that mess, just 1st gens. Still sad, though. I imagine most of them can be fixed but a few look pretty bad, especially those fiberglass vettes. With all the resto parts out there, you can probably build one of those cars from scratch.

When someone sent me those pics in an email I actually yelled out "HELL" at the top of my lungs... drew some stares in the office.

While most of those cars can and will be fixed it is like seeing the Mona Lisa t-bone a Rembrandt and then smash into the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

Hmm, just wondering: so which Cobra's are more "authentic"? The one built by Shelby? Or the ones built by AC? AC apparently offers four different variants of their car [basically the same body, with 4 different engine options]. Then there's the Mamba. I kinda like it. The similarities to [Peter Brock's?] Daytona Coupe at the rear are obvious, but it's still much more "Cobra-like" in appearance [i would have thought that if these cars are to see any sort of sustained high speeds, then a rear duck tail spoiler is in order to prevent lift]. Power options will be either an Aussie in-line 6 (230hp), or a twin turbo Lotus V8 (350hp). Have these already started production? I wonder how successful they've been in Europe?

post-1488-1122084378_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1122084387_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Ah, the Lambo Miura. Still one of the most beautiful of them all. I love the stance on this red one--although I'd bet that ride height would make any driver pucker their arse tight enough to bend steel pipe when they see an approaching pothole or speedbump. :lol:

post-1488-1122085719.jpg

post-1488-1122085844.jpg

Ah, the Lambo Miura.  Still one of the most beautiful of them all.  I love the stance on this red one--although I'd bet that ride height would make any driver pucker their arse tight enough to bend steel pipe when they see an approaching pothole or speedbump.  :lol:

313337[/snapback]

Definately the most beautiful Lambo, hell, maybe the only beautiful Lambo. The backstory is awesome, gotta respect a car built out of spite!