Most Anime endings

Godzilla

10) Rose of Versailles (havn't got to the end yet, but I assume Marie dies? that's sad! ;p)

Rose of Versailles is historical fiction. It ended the only way it could possibly end. I don't see anything wrong with the end since it marks the beginning of the French Revolution and we all know what happens to Marie Antoinette (real once living person) and many other aristocrats.

The final episode was just a recap of events you can find in any history book on France during that time period.

Edited by Jemstone

Well, Berserk was, admittedly, cut short due to finances.

First I've ever heard of this. Can you cite a source?

Personally, I believe the anime ending was very well done. The anime didn't try to tell the whole of Guts' life, but rather a specific series of events; specifically how he became the Black Swordsman (who we are introduced to in the first episoded).

Speaking strictly on Evangelion, my theory on why most people hate the ending is because somewhere along the line they tricked themselves into thinking the series was about the robots and the fighting, when it was about the characters all along. In addition to that, the ending to Evangelion presumes that the audience has been paying attention all this time, and can put a few things together for themselves.

In my experience, most people I've met hate endings where they have to put anything together for themselves.

The Japanese, on the other hand, seem to love endings that require a bit on the part of the viewer. Unfortunately, this also makes room for people who try to make their stories look deeper than they are, and wind up glossing over a simple, poorly executed plot with lots of psychobabble that means nothing. Out of this group, you get endings like those to Metal Gear Solid 2, Gundam Wing, and the recently released Appleseed movie. But for some strange reason, theses shows that just pretend to be deep, spewing lots of contradictory arguments that make little to no sense, and usually seem to end with something blowing up right before or after a long series of monologues, tend to be a lot more popular than those shows who's endings and plots really do make sense when all of the pieces are put together.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of Evangelion, I see many other valid reasons to dislike the show. It's pretentious, the characters are wholly unlikable, and the heaps of character developement are poured over a typical monster of the week super robot show.

However, for what it was, the tv series ending was probably the best possible ending they could make. They finished off the typical super robot cliches a couple episodes before the end, then wrapped up the characters and story quite nicely, without taking the viewer by the hand and walking them through everything.

The movies only vindicated my feelings on this. They offered nothing but action sequences and did nothing to further the story or character developement at all.

10) Rose of Versailles (havn't got to the end yet, but I assume Marie dies? that's sad! ;p)

Rose of Versailles is historical fiction. It ended the only way it could possibly end. I don't see anything wrong with the end since it marks the beginning of the French Revolution and we all know what happens to Marie Antoinette (real once living person) and many other aristocrats.

The final episode was just a recap of events you can find in any history book on France during that time period.

OMG! ;p means I'm joking usually... of couse she dies, I do understand that many of the events in Rose are based on actual FACT! including the ending... IT WAS A JOKE... I couldn't think of 10 different items... so I posted a joke as the final one... give me a break.

I'm sorry, if it didn't come across as a joke... but that was my intent... sheesh

Bleach (oh come on you know this one will be bad)

And you're basing this on.......?

The fact that the manga isn't finished yet.

I'm hoping otherwise though, but I'm not putting money on! It has WAY too many cliche's, none of which I mind in the manga, and it seems any time that anime writers get a free hand on characters not their own they don't use them well.

It also doesn't help that they've already given away a key part of the plot in the opening sequence. The ending will be either LIFE or DEATH. Maybe somebody on the staff will be inspired and they'll have a non-ending ending.

Candidate for Goddess is an invalid answer. The series did not have a bad ending, as it had no ending It simply stopped about halfway through the series.

That's why my list says "Worst Anime Endings (or Non-Endings)." Like Candidate for Goddess, Ninja Resurrection and Sword for Truth had no ending; they just stopped with bad cliffhangers and no plot resolution.

Of course, ADV announced they were co-producing a TV continuation of Ninja Resurrection, but just like their proposed Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2041 and Cutey Honey projects, it seems to be vaporware.

Well, Berserk was, admittedly, cut short due to finances.

First I've ever heard of this. Can you cite a source?

Personally, I believe the anime ending was very well done. The anime didn't try to tell the whole of Guts' life, but rather a specific series of events; specifically how he became the Black Swordsman (who we are introduced to in the first episoded).

That's totally official..? Give me time.

Hmmmm,... nobody mentioned Mahoromatic yet?

That last ep (season 2) looked like crapped out alternate reality

Looked like the entire bloody animation and storyboard dept. upped and died

after the beforelast ep (well,... that, or they all got plastered in the completion party)

Oh yeah, I forgot: .hack... anybody understood how Sukasa (sp?) finally logged out? We saw them fight a monster and that was it. WTF ending was that all about?

hmm... I'd have to rewatch it... but I didn't mind the ending... it wasn't an ending perse but what happned minutes before the first game. Skeith was too powerful so they all abondened the field and logged out... and so Aura was still needing to run away from Skeith, which you see at the start of the first game... and I can't remember how they fixed it so that Tsukasa could go back to this body.

Oh yeah, I forgot: .hack... anybody understood how Sukasa (sp?) finally logged out? We saw them fight a monster and that was it.  WTF ending was that all about?

hmm... I'd have to rewatch it... but I didn't mind the ending... it wasn't an ending perse but what happned minutes before the first game. Skeith was too powerful so they all abondened the field and logged out... and so Aura was still needing to run away from Skeith, which you see at the start of the first game... and I can't remember how they fixed it so that Tsukasa could go back to this body.

Maybe the forced reboot of the characters in that dropped field kicked Tsukasa back to her body. Getting kicked out would be a different setup than dying in a game set up to respawn. Kind of lucky, she could have just died for real (think pulling the plug while in Matrix). No other option given Skeith, so Helba pulled the switch.

I wouldn't touch the damn game again that's for sure, but then in Unison there (s)he is logged in after an absence. Never played the games so I don't know the rest of the story.

The only anime endings I don't like are the ones that don't match the manga. I liked Evangelion's endings, both TV and Movie.

And the Eva manga will then end different on top of that.

OMG! ;p means I'm joking usually... of couse she dies, I do understand that many of the events in Rose are based on actual FACT! including the ending... IT WAS A JOKE... I couldn't think of 10 different items... so I posted a joke as the final one... give me a break.

I'm sorry, if it didn't come across as a joke... but that was my intent... sheesh

Ah well, Didn't notce the attempted non smiley at the end there to clarify your "joke" (and you had such a good list goign too untill then). Your own fault.

Of course, ADV announced they were co-producing a TV continuation of Ninja Resurrection, but just like their proposed Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2041 and Cutey Honey projects, it seems to be vaporware.

Just more reasons to hate ADV. Their anouncement that Gantz would be 13 discs doesn't help matters either.

Just more reasons to hate ADV. Their anouncement that Gantz would be 13 discs doesn't help matters either.

What?!? Who do they think they are? Putting only two 30-minute episodes per disc is a major travesty in the anime DVD market. If this is their way of making up for Anime Network losing the Comcast deal to Sony (which eventually paves the way for Animax to hit the US), ADV's going down big-time.

If there is any anime ending I really hated it was GITS ending. The final moments in Batou's safe house felt like such a whimper after the whole tank battle. I have no problem with things not ending on action (usually I prefere it that way), but that particular ending, I can't place my finger on it, felt very very empty.

The only anime endings I don't like are the ones that don't match the manga. I liked Evangelion's endings, both TV and Movie.

And the Eva manga will then end different on top of that.

Mmmmm.... movie ending... surreal. :)

It would actually be kind of cool to show the manga ending like if Shinji made the opposite choice and stuck with it. (Everyone should die.)

Mmmmm.... movie ending... surreal. :)

It would actually be kind of cool to show the manga ending like if Shinji made the opposite choice and stuck with it. (Everyone should die.)

It may prevent a scene of doing "The A1 Doorknob Action!" on Asuka

(The only proof that Shinji's a man! -a very sad excuse for one anyway)

The ending of .hack//sign was strange but then again it wasn't never suppose to end the story, just that chapter of the overall story. It picks up in the games and then again in the other series and special episodes. Still I think the game just booting everyone might have been the reason but then again I always though it was Tsukasa finally coming to terms with everything and finally wanting to leave(remember she didn't want to really go back to the real world due to her situation and always logged in to escape things) that allowed her to finally log out and return to her body in the end. That's really how I always took it but then again its been a while since I saw the show and her case was different from the others that fall victiem to the game.

That difference in culture really is a pain in the ass. Still I think its a good reminder for people to realise that as much as we enjoy anime it was never and still isn't aimed at those outside of Japan and not created with non-japanese in mind. Every once in a while they'll be a show where things will wrap up nicely or at least decent to some degree but not many. I guess we just have to come to accept it. I just wish that more animation was done domesticly but aimed for teens and adults as their audience and not just kids. Maybe then we could get some animated shows with the story level of some anime with better endings.

I mean I don't really need everything spelled out for me and don't mind trying to think a little but I'd at least like some closure in a show. Can one have closure without having everything spelled out? I think you can but I dislike it when a show starts developing so many paths and story elements only to simply drop it all and end a show.

Tokyo Underground for example. I download the fansubs and enjoyed it all until the very last episode. They had so many characters and they were all important and they did nothing with them in the end. Even the main characters, it all just ended. I hate experienceing that. This is part of the reason I always make it a point to find out the ending of a show first, and in detail because I sent down to watch something. A bad ending can just ruin the entire experience and make you feel like you've really wasted your time.

RahXephon is the type of ending that I thought was good. What was said through out the show about the different characters allowed one to realize at the very end that the other characters lives turned out good by just seeing the main characters at the end and how their lives turned out.

this is all just perfect examples of how the american audience wants everything to wrap up into a neat little package, has anyone got the dvd of dodgeball and seen the original ending? listened to the commentary? perfectly reflects this

Good endings I've seen:

.hack//sign

vandread

vampire princess miyu

cowboy bebop

trigun

berserk

GTO

steel angel kurumi season 1

maze

slayers

mahoromatic (i kno alot disagree with me there)

evangelion (tv better than movie but i enjoy them both)

strawberry eggs

Bad Endings:

blue gender (the scenes shown during the end credits was decent but the series climax i found to not make any sense)

rurouni kenshin (they shoudve just ended it after the kyoto arc or continued it following the manga, the exact point they chose to end it was right during filler eps, not good)

thats all i can get off the top of my head, ive seen plenty of others but i cant tihnk of anytihng else that stood out as particularly good or bad to me