Macross DVDs discontinued

bandit29

I read rumors of this on other boards but I guess its true

http://www.animenation.net/news/

Macross DVDs Discontinued

AnimEigo has officially informed retailers that all subtitled Superdimensional Fortress Macross TV series DVDs will be discontinued after December 31, 2004. As of the the end of this month, AnimEigo will no longer sell nor distribute any of the Macross TV series single DVDs or DVD boxed sets.

I read rumors of this on other boards but I guess its true

http://www.animenation.net/news/

Macross DVDs Discontinued

AnimEigo has officially informed retailers that all subtitled Superdimensional Fortress Macross TV series DVDs will be discontinued after December 31, 2004. As of the the end of this month, AnimEigo will no longer sell nor distribute any of the Macross TV series single DVDs or DVD boxed sets.

so Animeigo's (and HG's) license expired on SDF-Macross?

interesting.

Most likely HG gave Animeigo a time limited sub-liscense and now that time is up. Really really sucks indeed. Unless HG milks the material and lets ADV release bricks of SDF Macross. They already took Animeigo's restored footage for their own use, wouldn't surprise me if they usurped Animeigo's subtitles as well.

More likely they'll bottle up the original for at least a few years. 25th anniversary HG box sets. <_<

Edited by Anubis

Like what other reason?

I see this as a similar thing that happened to ADV's recent Sailor-Moon license-expiration.

First of all imagine Disney... now imagine those evil words "Disney Vault"...

there are lots of reasons and Sailor Moon was a different bag of kittens all together. With Sailor Moon they had the rights from Dic who got them from Toei... and Toei just wouldn't let them renew... they pretty much said "No, North America we are not going to let you renew any of your Sailor Moon rights... cause you screwed it up! BADLY! now you you never get Sailor Moon again!!! Whats more you know the Manga artist dosn't even like the anime... she much prefers the new live action show (and who can blame her?)"

With HG... they are partnered with Tatsunoko... who OWNS the rights, dosn't lisence them from Big West but actually legitimatly owns them.

I don't think HG's rights to Macross TV can expire as long as they are partnered with Tatsunoko...

If anyone's rights have run out it's Animeigo's but there can be other reasons.

for the most part the Macross DVDs seem to go the diehard Macross fans... most of whom picked up the set right away... so for one thing they might just think the market is to shallow at this time to keep putting it out there.

I can think of lots of other good reasons too.

Could be that sales just weren't enough to warrant continued production?

I love Macross (and hate RT), but you have to admit that Macross' following here in the U.S. is much, much smaller than RT. I'm surprised they actually made it past the initial pre-order run, to be honest. Any continued sales after that was a major plus for Macross fandom in my book.

taken from AOD-forum:

Indeed, the license for this title for AnimEigo will be expiring, just as an FYI for the fans.

I shall have to offer deals. Deals are good.

--------------------

Shawne Kleckner

President/CEO

The Right Stuf International, Inc.

www.rightstuf.com

Shucks! I had hoped Shawne would've also stated HG's "license" as gone, too.

We'll prolly see ADV as the next sub-licensee for SDF-TV, since HG and ADV are close.

Well, I'm just glad I got the box set when It first came out, although I'm now going to be major-league paranoid about scratching any of the discs...I e-mailed Animeigo direct to get the word from the horse's mouth.

Edited by Pat Payne

Well, I'd hate to see HG bastardize the original. And I stand by my solemn vow that if they ever release DYRL with big fat Tony Oliver, and Reba West's voices, I will burn down the building, and shoot all of those who try to flee the flames.

Ultimately though, I have my DVD set already so it's no skin off my nose.

It's pretty clear as to the real 'why' of them stopping production releases.

Their 'new' RT show.

I also would love to see the old Macross material dubbed, but frankly I don't think that will ever happen. It's slightly more or less a cult anime show, it simply doesn't get the respect that Gundam gets.

Maybe the fans will try to make a dubbed version now that super cheap video & audio editting software exists. B))

To follow up on treatment's except from the AoD forums, the front page at AoD now has:

Macross Expires  (05:34 PM EST): According to reports coming in from various retailer sites, AnimEigo has informed them that they will no longer be able to supply product in either single disc release form or box set form of the Macross TV series. Essentially, the short-term license that they had with Harmony Gold has now passed and their ability to sell it is now over. Kudos to AnimEigo on a great project and one that really brought me some of the great classic anime that got me into this hobby.

On the sites I've seen, it seems that much like Spirit of Wonder, AnimEigo just got a short-term license, and they weren;t able to renew...although the fact that there's supposed to be some big RT-related announcement can't help but stoke my "grassy-knowl" instincts...

Remember when Animeigo was origanally doing this it was "the pre-order and that's it" so they probably didn't feel the need to get a long license... why pay for time they wern't planning to use? And now HG probably was asking more money for it then Animeigo could pay... if they offered to let them renew it at all..

A dub? Don't think it's going to happen... didn't they tell Animeigo not to dub it cause they didn't want another English Dub to compete with Robotech?

Anyways I'll have to get the last volume but the only place I know that has it in town is asking 119.99 CDN for it.

On the sites I've seen, it seems that much like Spirit of Wonder, AnimEigo just got a short-term license, and they weren;t able to renew...although the fact that there's supposed to be some big RT-related announcement can't help but stoke my "grassy-knowl" instincts...

eh, what is a grassy-knowl, and what instincts are usually associated with one?

Ah, I see...you mean grassy knoll. Makes sense now.

Edited by Phyrox

eh, what is a grassy-knowl, and what instincts are usually associated with one?

Ah, I see...you mean grassy knoll. Makes sense now.

Must learn how to spell... :p

Anyhow, I just got a response back from the man himself, Robert Woodhead:

At 2:31 PM -0800 12/13/04, Patrick Payne wrote:

Just had a really quick question: Is there truth to the rumors that AnimEigo is going to be discontinuing Macross?

Our license period ends 12/31 and after that date we will not be able to sell Macross.

best

R

--

This is sad news. But I guess it had to happen. To all good things...

Most likely HG gave Animeigo a time limited sub-liscense and now that time is up. Really really sucks indeed. Unless HG milks the material and lets ADV release bricks of SDF Macross. They already took Animeigo's restored footage for their own use, wouldn't surprise me if they usurped Animeigo's subtitles as well.

More likely they'll bottle up the original for at least a few years. 25th anniversary HG box sets. <_<

My sentiments exactly. First thing that popped in my heard when I heard this news. (but then there is always the conspiracy theory that HG wants to bury the original Macross series in favor of pushing Robocrap :ph34r: )

Yeah, its kinda obvious Harmony Gold is going to pass this title over to their butt buddies, ADV. Credit for the work AnimEigo put into it will probably all but disappear.

But---but what if AE can at least make a play for the translation, making them do a new...oh, right....that's gonna make it worse, isn't it... :unsure:

Hey everyone! Long time no see! I used to be a member on here as MechaManTurbo a long while back! I immediately heard the news of expiration of AnimEigo's Macross TV license and I had to immediately get my ass back on here to see your reactions. Frankly I was shocked but I sort of had a feeling this was going to happen eventually. I only have the first box set, so I guess this means I need to get the other two offline either tonight or tomorrow. Long Live the true Macross and expect to see me post on here again more often but under the new name...FORY-SAN! ^^

A dub? Don't think it's going to happen... didn't they tell Animeigo not to dub it cause they didn't want another English Dub to compete with Robotech?

Didn't they also say there would NEVER be a remastered Robotech, that it wasn't possible, that all the edit lists had been lost?

And that Director's Cut Robotech COULDN'T exist, as the televised version WAS the original cut?

They have no credibility. Stuff they say can't or won't happen has a nasty tendancy to happen. Stuff they say will happen... doesn't.