Z Gundam DVD Set Myth or reality

My order with DeepDiscountDVD shipped today.  Got the E-mail about an hour ago.  Too bad I had it shipped home instead of here, so I won't actually be able to see it for another week and a half.  But at least it'll be there.

Doh, no update on my DDDVD order yet.

That makes two of us......

The street date of Zeta is 12/14. There is still time. In fact, the street date for SEED vol. 4 and 5 is also 12/14, so anytime between now and next monday, you should get your shipping notice.

Yeah, I just talked to them on thephone. It shipped out this morning with some other stuff I ordered. Altho my order summary still has it listed as "preorder" with the other stuff as "backorder". Neither did I get an email update.......

Ummm......CRAP :(:angry:

Uh-oh...

According to reports on Anime Nation's Gundam forums from Derekwc, who received the Zeta box set early, the version of "Z Toki O Koete" (the first OP song) used on both the English & Japanese language episodes on the DVD's is an instrumental version. More on this as more details roll in.

Awesome! B))

Since I had mine preordered through the Right Stuf and since they have me down as "Back ordered", I called them up a little bit ago to see if they had actually got any sets in yet. I was told that they haven't received any yet and it would be next week when they do. At least the good news is since the Right Stuf is in Des Moines and I'm in Omaha, it should reach me within a day, even using UPS Ground. :)

Hmmm, apparently both openings and endings have their songs replaced with the orchestral BGM from the soundtrack... This is not a good day. So much for the wait.

Both opening themes and the ending theme have been replaced by musical score tracks from the show...

Quoted from Shokara who posted on AoD.

Edited by rikiryou

Rereading my post post seems like I'm try to piss on your parade, not the case at all, but just thought I'd throw this info out.

No subs on an R2, not sure if you care, but just a warning. Plus I'll bet dollars to doughtnuts that you can pick up a R1 for full retail for less than what the three zeta boxes will run you at the lowest used price you can find (currently over $600 used at Amazon) or even the individual discs (13 discs at between $20-40 each used).

I would have much rather have gotten the old LD art and not had this nonsense with the OP and ED credits, but unless there is some bigger error somewhere the R1 is still a killer deal. 

Edited by LePoseur

GOD DAMN BANDAI!

It may not be their fault. It sounds like they couldn't license the music.. could of been that they were too cheap to, but it just as easily could of been the same problem as with several '80s TV Shows (Tour of Duty?) where they band(s) that did the song either wanted exorbanent amounts for the license or simply no longer existed TO license from.

GOD DAMN BANDAI!

It may not be their fault. It sounds like they couldn't license the music..

I don't see how that could be.

With anime series, many times the artists who perform the music are absolute nobodies before they have a hit anime opening theme. In just as many circumstances, the music is actually created and commisioned by the production company, and they just hire a body to sing it.

I am inclined to believe that Bandai does not have ANY problems when it comes to obtaining rights for a song that they very likely owned from jump.

More than likely, this is just part of the "dumbing down" process that always seems to happen in one form or another with domestic anime releases.

Bandai Japan has been pains in the ass on the old-school Gundam before, kind of like how they allowed Bandai US to release the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but refused to allow them to have the Japanese language track, hence why we got a dub-only release. It was that or nothing. Japan could similarly have been a pain on the OP/ED music's liscense. Stubborn band, stubborn Bandai maybe, or the band and/or Bandai Japan could have given the US a "screw-you-special" price tag on the music as well if they were willing to liscence the tracks. Sometimes it's not as worth it.

I'm not happy the tracks aren't on there though for whatever reason they cooked up though. Especially after all this time. How many delays, how long waiting? They could even have let people know beforehand what the problem was. Again, just like with MSG, they were up front about not being allowed to have the Japanese track at that time. If they weren't able to procure the OP/ED music they should have said something. They of all people know better than this.

I am still hesitant to believe though that they couldn't get the tracks though. I agree Bandai US probably just didn't want to pay the liscence fee, wether they were being price-gouged or not.

Very disappointing, but I'm not fuming about it right now, as long as there are no edits to the show itself. If anything was changed there I'll be mega-pisssed.

I hope the video quality is good at least. I'm not hesitating to buy the HK versions of ZZ and V though. I waited long enough for Zeta.

I don't think it's really gonna hurt all that much, if worse comes to worse, just play some of the boots or downloads of the music. What WILL piss me off, what HAS ALWAYS been pissing me off was added in sound effects to the mechanics. They did this on Gundam, F91 and CCA to give it more of a "Real" feel to it or something, it tends to get annoying.

I don't think it's really gonna hurt all that much, if worse comes to worse, just play some of the boots or downloads of the music. What WILL piss me off, what HAS ALWAYS been pissing me off was added in sound effects to the mechanics. They did this on Gundam, F91 and CCA to give it more of a "Real" feel to it or something, it tends to get annoying.

I listened to those sounds once on my CCA DVD... It was pretty nauseating to listen to the Geara Doga make that hyrdraulic/ratcheting sound... But it's only in the dub track, right?

No damage.

I'm pretty pissed about them dropping "Toki wo Koete" though. That song is awesome.

I've never seen Zeta, and after all this, I am really considering cancelling my order, and just downloading it somewhere.

So long as there are no edits to the actual episodes, I'd say you should keep your order. Zeta Gundam holds its place as one of the anime greats for more than its theme music.

So lemme get this straight because of a instumental version is used for the opening you guys are up in arms and considering cancelling your box set that I assumed you bought for the 50 eps and all the little goodies as well.... I mean come on you can find a MP3 of those two songs anywhere :rolleyes:

wow pickie pickie. I mean maybe if it was dub only and VHS rip and was missing eps and they rewrote the plot so Ideon and Xabungle could be sequels then yes I'd be upset but wow... just because of this :huh:

I'm just pissed that they did this and didn't say anything beforehand, especially knowing the fan base this particular Box Set it targeting, and how picky they are. Not wise.

I'm gonna keep my order so I can watch this classic with good subs and video, but it still irks me about the songs being changed. I'm still very happy the show if finally being released in R1 though.

Now if any changes have been made within the show itself, then I'll cancel.

No, I am just wondering after reading the gripes if there is anything else that was ganked out of the us release.

The songs or lack thereof don't bother me since I can download them, and I've never heard them before anyway.

What I am more concerned about is that they rushed this release out like they did F91, with little to no extras or substance etc.

I've never seen Zeta, and after all this, I am really considering cancelling my order, and just downloading it somewhere.

So long as there are no edits to the actual episodes, I'd say you should keep your order. Zeta Gundam holds its place as one of the anime greats for more than its theme music.

Damn straight. Still.... I guess I won't be throwing out my old fansubs. I usually clean out my boots and fansubs after I get a region 1 DVD (or Reguion 2 in special cases) but more and more there are series where it's a good thing to keep the bootleg and/or fansub because it is intact as a whole.

Done this for Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors for special music videos, Lodoss for the OVA ending with the golden dragon, Rurouni Kenshin OVA for the text closing, Macross/Robotech Perfect Collection 1 for the alternate opening and closing not included on the DVD release..... I could go on and on but it's little things like that all DVD releases should have that are keeping my boots and fansubs around. Very frustrating considering the amount of money put into these DVD releases.

Edited by Jemstone

wow pickie pickie. I mean maybe if it was dub only and VHS rip and was missing eps and they rewrote the plot so Ideon and Xabungle could be sequels then yes I'd be upset but wow... just because of this :huh:

Amen. :ph34r:

Seriously, the thread for the edits on Anime on DVD grew about 15~ pages within 3 hours. Granted people have a right to be mad, but this is borderlining on insane...

Anyone who drops theirs has got to be picky as hell if you ask me though no one did :p

The only fansubbes I know of are at Imacross, and they're low quality and some have chinese subs in the background, and than there are the last dozen episodes I think that have ZERO subs at all.

Not too mention, isn't the box set suppose to be remastered visual and audio? So you know, $l-l1t happens, we just gotta deal. All I need now are the last 10 episodes of V Gundam and I've got the whole UC story.

Ok, so let me get this stright.

Bandai America's semi-official reason is that they couldn't get the license for the Zeta song openings correct?

Yet SEED DID come out with the original op/ed intact.

I think it's safe to say T.M. REVOLUTION is a bit more popular then the people who did the songs in the mid 80s.

To me it's yet another UC brush-off, in favour of yet inferior product-in-better-packaged AU.

Granted we don't know the whole story, but the math just doesn't add-up.

So they didnt licence the op/ed thats pure lazyness in my book. however there is a solution and it involves video/audio editing. all you would have to do is in thery, ether splice in just the audio or both the audio/video from the r2 or hk boot(depending if the opening animation for the r1 was ever altered) into the us dvd,and re author/re burn it.:D lots of work, but if you want the op/ed this is likely the way to go sans buying the r2 box sets, if you have axcesss to a dvd burner anyways.:)

Hate to tell you this, but music licenses in Japan can be a pain in the ass! There have been several instances even in Japan in which a TV series, OVA, movie, etc. has dofferent music because of licensing issues. I believe a licensing issue is one of the reasons why there was never an OST released for Gall Force 2 and 3, to use an example. I have a friend that has been buying Japanese CDs, DVDs, LDs, and VHS tapes for about 20 years or so and has run into several instances in which music was missing, so this is not a new problem.

Looking at my CD single of both Zeta Gundam openings, I can see where the licensing of these 2 song could really be the problem. The CD was produced by King Records back in 1988. Gundam soundtracks have usually been produced by Victor. King Records could have easily allowed Bandai to use the songs in the Japanese domestic release, but was unwilling to grant the rights for the US release.

Looking at my CD single of both Zeta Gundam openings, I can see where the licensing of these 2 song could really be the problem. The CD was produced by King Records back in 1988. Gundam soundtracks have usually been produced by Victor. King Records could have easily allowed Bandai to use the songs in the Japanese domestic release, but was unwilling to grant the rights for the US release.

Except for Gundam 0083 OST, which was released on Victor, all other Gundam music have been released on King Records. It's practically Bandai's own anime OST label.

Bandai are a bunch of pricks for not being upfront about this. For a company to be so holier than thou about digisubs and hk boots how and the hell can they expect to maintain their legitimacy when they conduct their business in even shadier ways as such.

That said I'm going to keep the set, since to me it's basically the same as a overpriced hk boot with decent subs.

And where the hell is my SPT Layzner?