Hasegawa gerwalk convertion

007-vf1

UPDATED !!!look bottom for pics ...

I been requested a comission job for a couple of Hasegawa gerwalks and I thought it would be nice to show some of the steps I came up with as I indulge on a project of this level for a second time..

Some of you might have seen the Minmay guard I build before where 3 different models were kitbashed to make the Gerwalk a reality. I originally made a complex convertion on the shoulder Joint using a bandai model, the hasegawa fighter and the battroid model models but now I am following the 2002 Hobby japan magazine techniques that actually are not only easier to follow but also mechanicaly sound

post-23-1101096990_thumb.gif

Edited by 007-vf1

The pics above are probably the 2 most important pasrts of the whole construction. as you can see i try to use as much as possible on the kits peices that practically discarded during the convertion build up

- the shoulder Joint on the Gerwalk are pieces of the hip joint from the battroid. the shoulder socket has been trimmed down to fit a cut on the back of the chest plate right under the wing and close to the wing pivotin point and filled/packed with pieces of styrene to obtain a solid "weld" between both pieces.

-the shoulder peg has been glued in after drilling a hole on the upper part of the shoulder which will create a clearance to the wing. The original peg on the battroid shoulder joint had been cut off ( it will eb use later on in the modified gerwalk hip joint) and covered with styrene to create a smooth surface and a thicker wall for the new peg attachment; as you probably will figure out the new peg is the ball joint of the battroid hip.

A close up of the intake leg joint ;

On this post pic (arrow 1) you can se the cut off battroid shoudler joint that has been attached to the foldable "joint cover" with a pice of styrene. ( arrow 2) I have added extra support by drilling a hole through ( the styrene and the peg) and glueing a piece of styrene rod.

post-23-1101098205_thumb.gif

Edited by 007-vf1

• 4 weeks later...
- the shoulder Joint on the Gerwalk are pieces of the hip joint from the battroid. the shoulder socket has been trimmed down to fit a cut on the back of the chest plate right under the wing and close to the wing pivotin point and filled/packed with pieces of styrene to obtain a solid "weld" between both pieces.

I recognized the hip part that you used to mount the arms. Very clever!

• 2 weeks later...

here's an update. the main parts have been painted here's the sequence for the painting process.

1 -base color for panel line shading; dark blue mixed with grey and white

2- second base color for panel highlights; white mixed with medium blue 95/5 ratio

Every panel is individually airbrushed, but most times this process is too tedious and overwhelming so I skip details on some panels and blend the panel lines.

post-23-1104724623_thumb.gif

the trusters and verniers are another pain in the butt but a necessary evil.

Again; every single nozzle (yes even the tiny ones) are painted in 2 colors the outside of the verniers are painted with alclad polished aluminum and the inside a mix of jet exhaust and copper.

The top pic shows the first spray with aluminum. The ones in the bottom are the ones I took from the top pic; about half of the ones I have to paint in total. The difference here is that the very small ones will be painted by hand brush since they are nearly imposible to figure a way to hold them still when airbrushing...

post-23-1104725523_thumb.gif

• 2 months later...

fuselage details...

I am telling you guys you must have heart to do this things...I spent a day and a half just placing decals on this sucker and I have another one to go...

post-23-1111711712_thumb.gif

Edited by 007-vf1

• 1 month later...

Oh the gap is not that big once I plug the legs all the way in... besides giving it a pretty unique look and enhance the leg detail it doesn't constraint the movement with the shoulder ball join thus allowing more free movement and poseability..

god you make this look easy :p:lol::lol::lol: do you do gundam master grade commissions? if so let me know i need a few airbrushed for me. by the way i am serious about this .

chris

god you make this look easy :p:lol::lol::lol: do you do gundam master grade commissions? if so let me know i need a few airbrushed for me. by the way i am serious about this .

chris

Pm me Chris we'll talk about it...

Hey Lonnie-This 2 models are for commission so I won't see them again. They are my unique precious...I don't work with resin (yet) so I wouldn't know how to make copies. But when you use the fighter and battroid you'll realize the conversion is not that difficult, just tedious...I have searched the most practical, reliable and cheaper way to make it possible..but there're so many other ways to get around it for example using kotobukiya ball joints, brass pipes, etc.

Thanks. I haven't even seen the Hase battroids yet. I have been buying resin kits lately, and then setting them on the shelf to be ignored for who knows how long. I'm definately gonna have to get a couple, one to build and one to kitbash. Maybe I'll be able to do some work on one this summer (yeah right).

Lonnie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wow you are the master. I stand in the shadow of your greatness..

327543[/snapback]

Just keep an eye on all of the model building processes..here and in other forums...do a web search.

Most of the skills I have I learned them from many of the members here...and some books found on the internet..I had no previous building skills and got the hang of it rather quickly but it took me about 2 years to understand why some things have to be done certain ways and why you should never stop looking around to learn better and newer techniques..

Don't feel afraid to ask; that's how I found solutions to many of my problems and practice as much as you can...

Jonn13 - i am virtually a half year late on this but we have a couple of master decal makers Anasazi is one of them and he was selling some of them around check on the for sell section...

Edited by 007-vf1

• 6 months later...
Looking at this, one might assume, you could do this to a VF-O as well.  I'm sure someone is rushing to hack up the new VF-O battroid kit for a Gerwalk...

:blink:

389497[/snapback]

Hmmm ! I was thinking the same thing. Undoubtably by the time I get to Japan next week B)) someone will have done it.