Gundam F91

A few days ago I ordered both the F91 DVD (which I didn't think was to be officially released until next week) and the new Mobile Suit Gundam novelization (just came out) from the Right Stuf. Not only did I get the book today (I've already skimmed over the book already and it looks to be quite interesting), but low and behold, F91 was packed in, too!. This is my first Gundam DVD since Char's Counterattack over two years ago. I first saw F91 over three years ago so I know what to expect.

Next stop, Zeta! B))

cool i already have seen the bootleg but i am so hyped about getting the oficial version, how is the picture and sound transfer? also is the movie still in the widescreen format?

thanks

chris

Twin Moons has had it for I think a lil over a week now, Tam got his shipment real early. I liked the dub it wasn't bad at all, espically the vocal radio effects and such, I'm a sucker for that. The story is weak in my oppinion, but it easily gets made up with the mobile suit designs and action.

And you don't really have to focus to much into the music to hear some Starwars in there :p

You know what, I haven't looked but from what I remember it was Mobile Suit designs for the movie, a timeline, I think an interview with one of the production staff members from Japan......hmmmmmm that's all I can remember, I just know that the second disc is sorta a waste.

If you watch now and than, the frame size changes a few inches on the wide screen scale. Not too mention I think a few frames somewhere were skipped, I can't remember.

I really do wish however it was turned into a series, I feel that this really got raped in the worst way :(

The funny thing is that Sunrise and Bandai were behind F91 throughout the production. They were hoping it'd re-launch a new era of Gundam after Tomino killed off Char and Amuro. They loved it so much, they put most of their merchandising efforts behind the F91 movie instead of the 0083 OVA series. All the cool 0083 merchandise you see these days weren't around when the OVA was first released.

So what's in the 2nd disc?

First disk has the movie with Japanese and English 2.0 audio tracks, and mechanical files (mobile suit and mecha info)

Second disk has the movie with an English 5.1 audio track, an audio commentary track by the Sunrise producers, trailers, image galleries and a Universal Century timeline guide.

Second disk has the movie with an English 5.1 audio track, an audio commentary track by the Sunrise producers

In English or Japanese? Is it by producers who were actually producers during the production of the film or just some dudes recently hired by Sunrise?

Not sure, I haven't actually gotten it myself.

I believe it's in English though, as the dubs ADR Director also take spart in the commentary.

Edited by Panon

The commentary is in English. The second disc is pretty much a wash, no japanese trailers, nothing vastly important in the timeline, and the art galleries are just screen captures for the most part.

What bugs me about the release....the credits are in english. Bandai has been one of the few companies who actually left all of the credits alone, then included a translated version of them after. Hopefully english credits won't become a standard, we already have one ADV, we don't need another.

The funny thing is that Sunrise and Bandai were behind F91 throughout the production. They were hoping it'd re-launch a new era of Gundam after Tomino killed off Char and Amuro. They loved it so much, they put most of their merchandising efforts behind the F91 movie instead of the 0083 OVA series. All the cool 0083 merchandise you see these days weren't around when the OVA was first released.

Didn't know that. If wonder if they wanted it to relaunch the Gundam franchise why didn't they make it longer instead of reducing it to movie. They might have done better if they had made it at least an OVA so there was character development and room for more battles.

the reason the series was never released was mainly because the F-91 Movie was not a big money maker so they did not go through with it :( sad for the fans I would have loved to see the series

Audio is fine, though the layer change is a bit funky, but overall a solid release. Just has a useless dub only second disc. Bandai's funky audio releases have mostly been related to Stand Alone Complex, so I'm sure there's some way to blame Manga.

Audio is fine, though the layer change is a bit funky, but overall a solid release. Just has a useless dub only second disc. Bandai's funky audio releases have mostly been related to Stand Alone Complex, so I'm sure there's some way to blame Manga.

I found GITS SAC #3 out early but no f91 yet 8>(

Thanks Keith!

I checked out the second disc lastnight, it contains a 5.1 dobly digital audio english track, Character gallery, UC Timeline.....okay this pisses me off it goes from 0080, swings into 0093 with CCA, than it whacks around the 100's till the end of F91 which a brief mention of F90.

English version with Commentary, which was HORRIBLE! You couldn't hear the movie let alone what people were saying in the background!

And than movie trailers, trailers consisted of Gundam F91, where the music was so loud you couldn't hear anything else but it was enough you ask yourself if that was on purpose or just being lazy. Than Gundam SEED which was screwed up, "It's the year AC195.......and two friends will fight.......for their destiny" or something like that, but it clearly showed AC 195..........................dorks.......

After that was the Gundam Battle Assault 3 SEED Game which is probably one of the junkiest games for the PS2, not worth the cash, infact NONE of the Gundam BA games are worth it, just jumbling a bunch of Mobile suits, specificly SEED into multicombat enviorments poorly rendered and finished.

DONE!

I have to say, for the much delayed release of F91 in English, what we got in the end was beyond horrendous and completely not worth the wait. I am glad I never got rid of my LD. Looks like what they came up with was worse than the HK boots. No wonder they've been running scared trying to stop people from selling the HK boots.

Forget Bandai America. They aren't getting any dough from me if this is how they treat UC Gundam. Go peddle Seed to the Pokemon crowd for all I care. The fad will not last.

:angry:

Edited by Jolly Rogers

Bitter ain't we? I mean honestly what were you really expecting? I also don't see what you mean

"Looks like what they came up with was worse than the HK boots. No wonder they've been running scared trying to stop people from selling the HK boots."

You can't make something worse from a movie that was poorly done from the get go....there's not much more fuel to add to this fire really.

If ya hate it, get rid of it buddy that's all ya gotta do. You can I guess trade it off at Gamestop for 10 bucks, out 15-19 dollars and live with the pain.

I mean can't we just be happy that we're FINALLY getting with the show biz and startin to get all the Gundam shows coming to THIS side of the pacific? I'd rather buy something official than a boot with subtitles being, "I can't believe I licked my father" with a sad Camille after killing his father.

If anything, you got your money's worth with 2 discs for the price of an ordinary DVD pricing.....

Bitter ain't we?  I mean honestly what were you really expecting?  I also don't see what you mean
"Looks like what they came up with was worse than the HK boots. No wonder they've been running scared trying to stop people from selling the HK boots."

You can't make something worse from a movie that was poorly done from the get go....there's not much more fuel to add to this fire really.

If ya hate it, get rid of it buddy that's all ya gotta do. You can I guess trade it off at Gamestop for 10 bucks, out 15-19 dollars and live with the pain.

I mean can't we just be happy that we're FINALLY getting with the show biz and startin to get all the Gundam shows coming to THIS side of the pacific? I'd rather buy something official than a boot with subtitles being, "I can't believe I licked my father" with a sad Camille after killing his father.

If anything, you got your money's worth with 2 discs for the price of an ordinary DVD pricing.....

What I meant was when you mentioned earlier

If you watch now and than, the frame size changes a few inches on the wide screen scale. Not too mention I think a few frames somewhere were skipped, I can't remember.

This does not occur on the JP LD or the VHS releases, and the earlier HK boots, which used either one as source/master and do not have the frame size changes as a result. How they managed to screw it up for the official release that's been hyped for several years is beyond me. It's not like they had a deadline crunch and had to push the product out of the doors - we've been teased about a NA release of F91 since they released MGS, 0080 and 0083 here.

You said it yourself earlier that the 2nd disc was not worth the price:

English version with Commentary, which was HORRIBLE! You couldn't hear the movie let alone what people were saying in the background!

Along with other junky features like a timeline that "pisses me off" and demo for "one of the junkiest games" (well said!).

I was only agreeing with you, no need to do a 180 and defend a poor product you didn't enjoy yourself.

Learn Japanese buddy, and you'll never have to put up with poorly translated anime again. :p

Edited by Jolly Rogers

Bitter ain't we?  I mean honestly what were you really expecting?

If ya hate it, get rid of it buddy that's all ya gotta do.  You can I guess trade it off at Gamestop for 10 bucks, out 15-19 dollars and live with the pain. 

You do realise he didn't actually buy it or anything, he's just engaging in some rage-against-the-evil-Bandai stupidity based on what he's read here.

Edited by Panon

Well, I'm still getting it, even though, on a whim, I checked IMDB, and they list good ole LICK Hunter in the voice credits for the English dub.

Yup, big fat Tony Oliver... <_<

Good thing I only watch one or two anime titles in English, and Gundam isn't one of them... :rolleyes:

fyi.

Steve Cannon (Shiro of 8th-MS Team) is the one voicing Seabook.

Tony Oliver is prolly just the ADR director.

Edited by treatment

Biggest surprise to me.....NO ZETA ADVERTISING! There's a freakin' limited edition box set coming out next month, it's a related franchise.....NO MENTION AT ALL!!

Hell, Even ADV adertised their Southern Cross & Mospeada box sets with other releases.

I'll say it again, no one knows how to market Gundam in the US properly. <_<

It's a waste.

Somebody got it right with Wing, you can't shrug that off, even people admit that the dub was actually easy to listen too.

Granted, I did pull a 180, I'm sorry, but you just sorta gotta take it for what its worth you know? While everyones got their own tastes, you gotta acknowledge the fact we're actually getting product and not having to go buy a bootleg where the chances of the subtitles are probably going to be out right horrible.

I will NEVER buy a bootleg again after Star Ocean EX and .Hack//SIGN, those killed it for me in the trust of Japanese to Chinese and Japanese to Chinese to English....Ingrish.....there :p

The bonus features, yeah they were crap......the trailers were probably done as well in 5.1 which was a waste, and they messed up the SEED trailer which made me mad....its like someone called Bandai Guy to help.

Well, I'm still getting it, even though, on a whim, I checked IMDB, and they list good ole LICK Hunter in the voice credits for the English dub.

Yup, big fat Tony Oliver... <_<

Good thing I only watch one or two anime titles in English, and Gundam isn't one of them... :rolleyes:

fyi.

Steve Cannon (Shiro of 8th-MS Team) is the one voicing Seabook.

Tony Oliver is prolly just the ADR director.

Tony Oliver - George Azuma, Additional Voices (voice: English version)