The Official Yamato VB-6 Monster Thread

sorry to change the subject, but can someone tell me the release date in Japan? Yesterday I went to my 2 main hobby stores (Tokyo) and I cound not find a single Monster. Has it been sold out already at Japan or is it that the sotres dont carry them yet (maybe because of the size). Any info is appreciated as I really wanted to buy it at discount but if no more is available then Ill have to go online.

I kinda wish that there were landing gear for Shuttle mode too....

You know, I was wondering about that. I had been trying to think of what the Monster's landing gear would look like, perhaps like a multiple wheel arrangement such as on a jumbo jet, the B2 or something like that. Of course, Yamato cheaped out and didn't design any landing gear at all. The lack of attention to something as remedial as giving an aircraft landing gear is almost as inane as selling the original YF-21 without gunpods. I have loved Yamato and their efforts, but this is getting ever so slightly ridiculous...

Paris ain't bad, but the monster looks classier.

Totally off topic but I couldn't resist-the Monster is just more beautiful, PERIOD. Paris has to be one of the most unattractive of all females that I have ever seen.

The lack of attention to something as remedial as giving an aircraft landing gear is almost as inane as selling the original YF-21 without gunpods. I have loved Yamato and their efforts, but this is getting ever so slightly ridiculous...

To my knowledge, the VB-6 does not have landing gear. There's no lineart for it in the Design Works book, and every single instance of it being on the ground has it in Gerwalk or Battroid mode.

Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

The lack of attention to something as remedial as giving an aircraft landing gear is almost as inane as selling the original YF-21 without gunpods.  I have loved Yamato and their efforts, but this is getting ever so slightly ridiculous...

To my knowledge, the VB-6 does not have landing gear. There's no lineart for it in the Design Works book, and every single instance of it being on the ground has it in Gerwalk or Battroid mode.

Yeah, I always just assumed that it switched to gerwalk before landing.

The lack of attention to something as remedial as giving an aircraft landing gear is almost as inane as selling the original YF-21 without gunpods.  I have loved Yamato and their efforts, but this is getting ever so slightly ridiculous...

Never seen VB-6 landing gears. :huh:

I haven't seen any line art with landing gears either but I still maintain that such a machine would require some kind of add-on booster to go back to flight mode from the destroid form. Once on the ground it would be protected by lighter battroids while bombing the crap of it's enemies from a safe distance, battroid mode would be used only in last resort situations when the destroid would be surrounded and would need to engage in hand to hand, close quarter combat. I'd say that in battroid mode, the VB-6 could inflict quite a bit of damage due to it's sheer size and weight. Once the mission is complete, a crew would come and add some kind of booster to the destroid to allow it to go back in space, I say this because if you need boosters to send a VF-1 in space, just imagine trying to send the VB-6 in orbit on it's own, very unlikely... Landing gears may also be futile due to the weight of the bomber mode. Just try to imagine looking for a landing surface that would be strong enough and wide enough to withstand a landing from this beast.

I know that this is totaly not official info but I just think it makes sense.

In order for the rail guns to operate it must be in gerwalk mode at all times which doesn't make sense to me.

I think that technically, there's no obvious reason why the railguns shouldn't be able to fire in battroid mode.

However, it's just not very practical to do so, as in Battroid mode the 4 railguns can only point straight up. There is no hinge mechanism like say on the Strike Valk to allow the cannons to hinge downward and fire over the shoulder.

However, it may be possible that in Battroid mode, the railguns could be used as mortars in the indirect fire role :D .

Graham

uh, how about the kick from the rail guns will knock on its ass. Anways, we talking about something where A back flap flips up and apprently thats where the gun mechanism goes, talking about sci fi things realistically is pointlesss, coz at the end of the day it isnt.

Hella koo toy anywayz

In order for the rail guns to operate it must be in gerwalk mode at all times which doesn't make sense to me.

I think that technically, there's no obvious reason why the railguns shouldn't be able to fire in battroid mode.

However, it's just not very practical to do so, as in Battroid mode the 4 railguns can only point straight up. There is no hinge mechanism like say on the Strike Valk to allow the cannons to hinge downward and fire over the shoulder.

However, it may be possible that in Battroid mode, the railguns could be used as mortars in the indirect fire role :D .

Graham

uh, how about the kick from the rail guns will knock on its ass. Anways, we talking about something where A back flap flips up and apprently thats where the gun mechanism goes, talking about sci fi things realistically is pointlesss, coz at the end of the day it isnt.

Hella koo toy anywayz

But do rail guns have that much of recoil?

Rail guns have recoil just like anything else that launches a projectile. We tend to think of only explosive projectile weapons as having recoil, presumably because of the explosion. But think of it this way - if you had a tube open at both ends and an explosion occurred inside the tube, the tube wouldn't recoil at all. It is the launching of a projectile that causes recoil.

You could think of the energy of a projectile as the mass times the velocity. You then divide the energy by the mass of the launching system. So if you launch a 20lb projectile at 200mph from a launch system that weighs 2000lb the launch system will experience a recoil of 20x200/2000, or 2mph.

A dampening system is one that takes the recoil energy and converts it to heat, usually through friction, thereby eliminating the need for the launch vehicle to actually BE driven backwards.

The upshot is that a rail gun would have even more recoil per pound than an explosive-driven system because of the very high velocities involved. Take our same 2000lb launch vehicle and shoot a 2lb projectile at 1500mph (mach2). The recoil on the vehicle would be 2x1500/2000, or 1.5mph even though the projectile weighs 10x less.

I haven't seen any line art with landing gears either but I still maintain that such a machine would require some kind of add-on booster to go back to flight mode from the destroid form. Once on the ground it would be protected by lighter battroids while bombing the crap of it's enemies from a safe distance, battroid mode would be used only in last resort situations when the destroid would be surrounded and would need to engage in hand to hand, close quarter combat. I'd say that in battroid mode, the VB-6 could inflict quite a bit of damage due to it's sheer size and weight. Once the mission is complete, a crew would come and add some kind of booster to the destroid to allow it to go back in space, I say this because if you need boosters to send a VF-1 in space, just imagine trying to send the VB-6 in orbit on it's own, very unlikely... Landing gears may also be futile due to the weight of the bomber mode. Just try to imagine looking for a landing surface that would be strong enough and wide enough to withstand a landing from this beast.

I know that this is totaly not official info but I just think it makes sense.

You could say that it transforms to battroid mode to help cushion the fall a bit. The backpack and feet at full thrust might help and when it landed, the knees would bend to absorb some of the weight. (because of the robot muscle in the legs) The arms fully extended would provide some balance. I just think that a battroid would have more bodily control then a gerwalk for some strange reason because of the way the barrels are extended out so much in gerwalk mode. Even the SDF1 when it landed in battroid mode on earth, demonstrated that it could fall feet first without toppling over. (although it did land in water. Now I wonder if the shuttle mode or even battroid mode could do this, with shuttle mode able to float?) And in the first episode, they don't use any antigrav to help the ship leave. After the monster initially falls from space in battroid it would then hover again in the air and transform into gerwalk and find a nice landing spot in its native gerwalk mode. (mainly because I think the cannons make it look unsteady in gerwak)

About relaunching into space: I imagine the battroid tries to gain as much height as possible by using both the feet thrusters and backpack thrust, and as it is falling from a great height it transforms into Gerwalk mode first, boost again for more height using feet thrusters, then while descending again slowly, finally transform into bomber/shuttle mode using the cannon barrels to give it full speed, probably enough to leave the atmosphere. By the time of macross plus, they were getting to the point of valks no longer needing a pack to get them out of the atmosphere. And they probably exploited all the findings of overtechnology to be able to gain enough power and thrust to leave without the need for the added boost pack.

About landing gear: In some ways a gerwalk mode is more safe than a bomber mode which must try to land at an angle. With a gerwalk mode hovering low to the ground, they are not exposed as much to enemy fire and don't need a landing strip. They can just skim the surface. Gerwalk can just land and hover above the surface for a while and choose a better spot to land in less time than it takes to line up the bomber to the landing strip. Not to mention you can walk around in gerwalk and attack things as soon as you land, and not do this in bomber mode with landing gears.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The funny thing is although it is called a 'Variable Bomber', it doesn't actually seem to carry any bombs or have the ability to bomb anything  . I've always thought that calling it a VD 'Variable Destroid' (not Venereal Disease  ) is more accurate.

*Well they are special bombs that nobobdy knows about. :)

The bombs are folded to the location just as the shuttle gets there and the shuttle guides them to thier target. err... or something. Having the bomber carry them adds too much extra weight so in the future un spacy fold all thier bombs to save time. Neat huh? B)) jk

It was discovered later on that when the fold system vanished in swI and the pinpoint barrier thing discovered, that all unspacy had to do to win battles was to fold thier ships to the area they wanted to destroy and fire the main gun at the targets for an instant victory. The shipwide barrier would be strong enough to withstand an attack from the enemies long enough for them to then run away.

Similarly they then applied this idea to the small scale so vb6 was used to fly in and guide bombs that were folded into the area that was to be destroyed. When the fold system vanished it taught the scientists that maybe they could deliberately fold things to certain areas to save time and so experiments were begun into folding bombs to the location that the VB6 was about to head to. So now you know the story as to why it is called a bomber... :p The protodevlin used the same trick on unspacy in macross 7 but because tactics like this would be seen as cowardly to the public and damaging to un spacy image, they covered up any references to its use.

The only defense against such a cheap and dirty tactic is to:

a) play hot potato and fold the bombs back to the orginator who folded them there, thus killing the people who sent them.

b) Abuse the barrier system and have an AI automatically turn it on when enemies are picked up by the ships sensors to warn of the attack.

c) mind control - thoughts are read of the person's intent before the event happens by having everyone in the known universe be marked with a brain implant allowing the reader to interfere with potential plans to destroy them. All those who resist the mind control are destroyed. Everyone becomes UN SPACY's bitch and subject to thier rule as they become more dictatorial and no one is able to challenge thier military power after the defeat of the protodevlin. Only the anti-un is able to stop them but they fail because they are so far behind in technology. :D

*posted information may not be true

:lol: Didn't anyone see this? Lol Comedy Gold!! (well, maybe silver)

Graham

Hella koo toy anywayz

But do rail guns have that much of recoil?

They seem to -- in the VF-X2 opening movie the monster fires and gets pushed back quite a distance.

What kinda places are VB-6's assigned to? Im stickering mine up with the rest of a Takatoys sheet for everyhting except the eyes... and I really wanna put a carrier label on it.... would it seem logical for it to be SDF-1 deployed?

dam... i wish all teh white markings on my sheet hadn't come out so poorly.... I cant use more than two of teh extra UN SPACY stickers...

Edit: anyone know how to spot remove sharpie without damaging the plastic? i got a little smudge cleaning up the edges of a UN Kite sticker.... :(

Edited by promethuem5

Does this thing have Pin-point barriers? Since the 19 and 21/22 have them, the VB-6 would kind of have to have it.

Don't think so, but at least in the opening movie of VF-X2, it does seem to sport pretty strong armor.

I had read it in the compendium that it has 2 pin point barriers on the forearms and upper torso.

from the compendium:

• The  individual fixed pinpoint barrier shields are located forward and aft in  fighter mode and on the forearms when in GERWALK or Battloid mode

Eh, just looking at the VB-6 page on the compendium and I can't see any mention of pin point barriers?

Graham

okay so, i TF'ed this thing to destroid mode but i have no idea if i TF'ed correctly? :unsure::huh::unsure:

anyone got some detailed pics of how it should look? i looked at the box, the retarded instructions, peolesdru's step by step instructions and all the pics i could find but i still haven't a clue. :lol: any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

outside of that, i guess i like it. :D

Hey, you know what I'd like to see? The lineart. I haven't seen it in a while and I no longer have the Design Works book with me.

Also, Haterist, why don't you post photos so that we can tell if it's done correctly or not?

Another thing is, it's funny how "Destroid" mode is actually what we've grown accustomed to call Battroid mode, while the original DESTROID MONSTER configuration is now referred to as GERWALK. Even one of the Japanese magazines got confused here, I seem to recall.

The compendium makes no mention of pin point barriers for the VB-6. Very skimpy info, though it does note that it can in fact hover in Gerwalk.

There's a potential for it by playing an offensive role since it sports an active stealth mode and could be complimented by a squadron of VF-19s'.

While as a system an active stealth could be technically implemented in every mecha of Macross, in the description of Monster MkI found in Nanashi's website it is said the Monster was too hot so it couldn't be concealed and even flares didn't work. Maybe the same was true for Koenig Monster. It definitively needs air support.

Ofcourse in space, gravity doesn't play a detremental role to the VB-6's agility

Maybe it does. What space really improves is speed, since a steady thrust turns into a steady acceleration. Turns something in space requires you also to cancel your existing vector, that is the direction where you were going. Agility is affected by the number of vector thrusters and their power, but the Monster is really cumbersome. Logic would say that especially in space bigger things would be slower that smaller things, even if in anime the opposite works.

FV

There's a potential for it by playing an offensive role since it sports an active stealth mode and could be complimented by a squadron of VF-19s'.

While as a system an active stealth could be technically implemented in every mecha of Macross, in the description of Monster MkI found in Nanashi's website it is said the Monster was too hot so it couldn't be concealed and even flares didn't work. Maybe the same was true for Koenig Monster. It definitively needs air support.

Ofcourse in space, gravity doesn't play a detremental role to the VB-6's agility

Maybe it does. What space really improves is speed, since a steady thrust turns into a steady acceleration. Turns something in space requires you also to cancel your existing vector, that is the direction where you were going. Agility is affected by the number of vector thrusters and their power, but the Monster is really cumbersome. Logic would say that especially in space bigger things would be slower that smaller things, even if in anime the opposite works.

FV

He's right - even in zero-G the mass of something is a critical factor. If you were in orbit around the earth and tried to push, say, the Hubble Telescope (presuming you had something to push off of) you would find that it took a lot of work even though the Hubble was technically weightless. The usual science-fiction approach to this problem is the idea of "inertial drives" - or a propulsion system that can somehow cancel out the mass (or inertia) of a craft.

So, I've got a 1/60 (real making?..) version of the Wing Zero, The 1/60 scale

figure of the "Wing Gundam", and A 1/100 Sazabi (DLX figure, I ain't putting my

Sazabi MG in the ring, sorry...) So who do you want to see it wrestle first?

Well when I get my VB6's in from VE...

I'm thinking the Sazabi...

:ph34r:

Edited by Doctor Paragon

So, I've got a 1/60 (real making?..) version of the Wing Zero, The 1/60 scale

figure of the "Wing Gundam", and A 1/100 Sazabi (DLX figure, I ain't putting my

Sazabi MG in the ring, sorry...) So who do you want to see it wrestle first?

Well when I get my VB6's in from VE...

I'm thing the Sazabi...

:ph34r:

OK,

If you say so.

OK,

If you say so.

<_<

Not my idea Monty, I just have some "big dawg" gundams around.

And somebody(ies) around here wanted to see them going all 'RAW is WAR'

on each other. My buddy is lending me his Photo skills so I figured I would

snap couple of shots while taking pics for my Galaxy Force reviews on another

site.

okay so after 3 hours of fiddling with my monster, i finally i figured it out. :lol: basically i stopped looking at the instructions and just used common sense.

why does it seems my monster is always leaning to the left? ;)

In gerwalk mode you can get some uneven leg length if you don't have the leg components arranged identically. Check all the joint angles between the two legs.

Anyone else notice that the arms have little pods that pop up along the edges? I'm afraid to pull on them for fear of them snapping off. Here's a description of the location:

In shuttle mode, near the back. Along the edge of the arm is what looks like a separate glued in molding. But it's not glued in and if you pull it up (the hing appears to be towards the back, so you pull up on the front) you get what kind of looks like the classic Macross missile-pod. It doesn't appear to stay up, but again I'm nervous about pulling up too far and breaking the hinge. You can even see a screw inside when you pull it up.

What is it? Graham?