It's Official, I'm now a Macross convert!

whytwolf

Now as some who may know me, I have admitted to being a RT (also known to some around here as that unmentionable series spawned from the loins of Carl Macek) fan, and truthfully that hasn't changed. Much of my interest in Macross was based on my continued love of RT (and my enjoyment of MacII), but before today I never really got into Macross for Macross--although I now blame that on 'Clash of the Biornoids'.

But today--what an epiphiny! I picked up macross Plus the Movie, and my jaw is still on the floor. The art, the animation, the story, the acting and characters and mecha and...and....and...

::weeps with joy::

Someone PLEASE suggest to me what I should watch next? The local HMV had (for an outrageous fortune) the first Animego SDF Macross DVD. Should I pay a month's salary for 3 episodes? I've ordered DYRL and am waiting for it (hoping against hope that is will wash away the foul taste of CotB)

Help me Macross Otaku! Where to next!

Sean :D

Me too. I only just got back into macross (not really a hardcore fanboy yet) and I would suggest getting macross plus collection 1 and macross plus collection 2, so you can see all the scenes that weren't in the movie edition. I get the feeling that it would be a step backwards because I'm not sure if there was as many frames of smooth animation. (and the character's aren't focused on as much in the ova compared to the movie)

But if you're a completist you wouldn't want to miss the ova so you could see everything.

I also highly recommend sdf macross. For me though it was more for nostalgia at first, (because I loved the tv series) but now after watching it again I enjoy the series as if it were new. It also opens your eyes to how much difference there is to macross saga from robotech. But get DYRL first since that is awesome even by today's standards and worth rewatching if like me your memory of it was hazy. (much smoother + cooler dogfighting than tv series obviously) Mac 0 would then come later. I don't know about 7 though. Keep hearing that it isn't as good as the original.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

You said you ordered the DYRL disc, so I assume you also have the means to shop around & price the animeigo box set for soemthing that suits your budget (different shops have different discounts).

Yeah, well, I'm Canadian--no matter where I get it (local brick-n-mortar or online) I'm paying a premium because of the exchange rate :p

That said, I'm sure its only a matter of timebefore I commit the funds--after all how long can a divorce REALLY take ? :angry: (What a waste of my hard earned money :p)

Sean

ps - am I correct in guessing that with M7 you either love it or hate it? Is there any way I can try it out before I spend money on a HK bootleg DVD that I may hate?

Even with the canadian exchange rate & customs, 7 can't cost that much. You have to understand that with the FX sets, you get 52 episodes, 1 half hour movie, & a 4 episode OVA. As for whether you like it or not, YOU WILL LISTEN TO BASARA'S SONG! :)

My advice, pick up the AnimEigo box set first, and then get 7, and Zero too.

Yes, there is a way to try 7 before deciding on whether to buy the discs--locate some episodes on bittorrent or a P2P system. And yes, be aware that for many, M7 is an acquired taste, while others never get it. (Personally, I haven't seen enough to decide for myself yet; planning on getting it eventually, though.)

If funds are an issue, you might be best off getting into Zero right away, since HK bootlegs are the only way you're going to see it in English anyway (unless you download fansubs). The OVA will wrap up in a month or so, and with five total episodes it will probably set you back less than US $30 (depending on exactly how you go about getting the OVA) for 2.5 hours of Macross entertainment.

Definitively buy the SDF Macross tv series ;)

Even with the canadian exchange rate & customs, 7 can't cost that much. You have to understand that with the FX sets, you get 52 episodes, 1 half hour movie, & a 4 episode OVA. As for whether you like it or not, YOU WILL LISTEN TO BASARA'S SONG! :)

I saw the MAcross 7 FX set in Valkyrie exchange, what is exactly? How is the quality of video, sub and audio?

Edited by Ido

whytwolf-

Without reading all of the responses, I have this to say:

Vote for Nixon!!!

No, seriously! There are really only a few around here who hate those who love Robotech. The rest of us just sigh and begin to explain what Macross really has to offer.

It seems you found M+, but remeber that, sadly, Macross has become almost (note: almost as convoluted as RT simply because of Macross II, which threw everyone for a loop!

Because of the whole licensing debacle, much of Macross is not readily available here in the states. But don't be buggered, we're here to help you out!!!

p.s.- I'm drunk. Buggrit!!!

Definitively buy the SDF Macross tv series  ;) 

I saw the MAcross 7 FX set in Valkyrie exchange, what is exactly? How is the quality of video, sub and audio?

Probably the best available atm :) I ordered it during the summer and wasn't disappointed at all...

Edited by Gui

Sigh....Here we go again with the needless bashing of Clash of the Bionoids, a work that I insist to be the greatest version of the seminal DYRL movie, complete with Kung-Fu movie style English accented dubbing.

Finally, I'm amazed that people have to be polarized when it comes to Macross or "that other series". It MUST come down to a choice of liking one, or the other, lest your soul be damned for eternity. The possibility of liking both series escapes the mind, I guess...

Probably the best available atm :) I ordered it during the summer and wasn't disappointed at all...

Weeeell, I'm not that satisfied with the FX which has many moments of bad subs that are:

- completely gibberish

- absolutely gibberish

- totaly gibberish

- bad timing (so fast you can only read the fisrt two words then it dissapears)

- got names wrong (most notable in M7 Dynamite)

- no subs in the extras

But there are episodes with good subs from fans that ended in this FX edition.

the next logical choice for you my friend has got to be "do you remember love" .the movie is just sooooo awsome even 20 years later.you can get a good bootleg copy from hong kong for around $15 (get the orange cover/FX version).sdf-macross is definately worth the $,but look around alot before you buy,you could get lucky & pick it up cheap on ebay or something.macross zero is also a very cost-effective way to see some more macross.i got mine shipped from hong kong for $11 each dvd.

give macross 7 a chance.a friend graciously loaned me his dvd's of this series & i'm glad he did.it's a great series.it just drags a little until the 10th episode.you have to just grin & bear it till then,cause after episode 10,you'll get addicted & won't be able to wait to see the next episode.definately give it a try too :)

WAIT!!!!

Whatever you do, don't get the SDF Macross sets from anywhere else but Best Buy or A&B Sound. I live in Calgary and they have the best prices on those 3 disc sets. The local hobby stores like Phoenix are selling the sets at $145 a piece, an outrageous price! Best Buy had them for close to $40.00 each if I recall and A&B Sound was not much more than that. But definitely don't go to HMV or Music World, you'll get ripped based on the prices I've seen there (which I remember being close to $80 a pop).

*catches breath*

Anyway, I would certainly recommend purchasing the SDF Macross series next. I own the set and not only is the original series a fine Macross story, the DVD presentation is one of the best anime DVD releases to ever see the light of day. The picture and audio quality is perfect and the subtitling is amazing. Go for that first.

After that, I seriously recommend purchasing the 4-part OVA version of Macross Plus. While I own both the Movie Edition and the 4-Part OVA of Macross Plus, I enjoy the OVA much more (no doubt this will start a contraversy as always). Nevertheless, you can do no wrong by at least renting the 4-Part version of Mac+ and deciding for yourself. Besides, you're on a Mac+ high right now, so why not see more of it? :)

Next, I'd definitely recommend watching Macross The Movie: Do You Remember Love? Despite being made in 1982, the animation is top notch and holds up well even to this day. Check it out.

Last but not least, try out Macross Zero. You can't really obtain it here in Calgary (unless you go to the chinatown shops, ahem), but you can download the fansubs off the internet. Only 4 of the 5 episodes are currently released, but the last episode will be out soon and it should be good.

Send me a PM if you want some more tips for anime shopping in Calgary. Living here means I've done quite a bit and can give you some helpful tips to save money.

And congratulations on your new found Macross fandom! :)

Weeeell, I'm not that satisfied with the FX which has many moments of bad subs that are:

- completely gibberish

- absolutely gibberish

- totaly gibberish

- no subs in the extras

You say that 'cause you don't like M7 :p

J/K: this version has its issues, yes, but overally it's a good deal IMO :)

- completely gibberish

- absolutely gibberish

- totaly gibberish

- no subs in the extras

You say that 'cause you don't like M7 :p

J/K: this version has its issues, yes, but overally it's a good deal IMO :)

I do like M7, but rather had all the episodes and extras fansubbed. :p

first get the sdf series, then mac 0, and then mac 7, save seven for last, because if you don't like it, it may ruin your whole outlook on macross, get everything else first. at first just the very thought of macross 7 upseted me, i mean playing instruments to fly valks, what nonsense, but then because i am a completist when it comes to macross, i picked it up as well as the movie and dynamite 7, and i do have to say that the more you watch it, the more you get into it, i still think playing instuments was stupid, but at least the series isn't as bad as i thought it was, i even come home and put it on if i get bored, which i thought i would never do. but get everything else first, as well as flashback 2012, and Macross 20th anniversary, and if you live in Canada, try going to import-anime.com, you can get very excellent deals there.

You said you ordered the DYRL disc, so I assume you also have the means to shop around & price the animeigo box set for soemthing that suits your budget (different shops have different discounts).

Yeah, well, I'm Canadian--no matter where I get it (local brick-n-mortar or online) I'm paying a premium because of the exchange rate :p

Well I've seen it reasonably priced at Canadian HMVs at least here in Edmonton I have... But I ended up paying way too much for the second box.... I need the third and final box still.

Either see M7 last or just skit it alltogeather. If you don't like kiddie anime you will hate it with a passion, and it will probably spoil your taste for all Macross stuff..

Hey, when dealing with new Macross fans can you try not to sound so negative? You want to scare them off with lines like the one in bold? :angry:

Either see M7 last or just skit it alltogeather.  If you don't like kiddie anime you will hate it with a passion, and it will probably spoil your taste for all Macross stuff..

Hey, when dealing with new Macross fans can you try not to sound so negative? You want to scare them off with lines like the one in bold? :angry:

He is stating his opinion. I havent seen M7 nor do I have the desire to after watching Flashback 2012 where there was some of M7. I really want to watch M0 though.

Either see M7 last or just skit it alltogeather.  If you don't like kiddie anime you will hate it with a passion, and it will probably spoil your taste for all Macross stuff..

It was mentioned, so I commented.

If the first Macross someone sees is M7 it is a poor representation of what Macross has to offer. I just said to see it last or skip it, because (I feel) it is the lamest thing on Earth, a vortex of lame from which there is no escape.

He is stating his opinion.  I havent seen M7 nor do I have the desire to after watching Flashback 2012 where there was some of M7.  I really want to watch M0 though.

There was M7 stuff in FB2012? What should I look for/avoid? (I guess depending on what you think of M7--which seems to be a rather polarizing issue here :D )

Sean

M7 in Flash Back 2012? :huh: Nope, FB 2012 only has footage from SDF Macross, DYRL, and some original animation.

Folks, let's not turn this into yet another M7 saint-or-sinner thread. It's an objective fact that M7 has a lot of fans, and it's also a fact that it turns a lot of people off. On those grounds, I agree that it makes sense to watch the other Macross stuff first, all else being equal.

I've seen a few eps of mac 7 and think it is kind of funny. The characters are little different. And it is hard to imagine that this one guy manages to outfly the aliens while these other trained pilots are flying around in the area with him trying to shoot at the aliens. See Macross II (excellent music!) before you see macross 7.. :D

I would see macross 7 last just so you know where some of the songs are from. I noticed there's stuff from macross II and mcross plus thrown in. (so then you can to yourself:"ooh where ave I heard that before?") Also just out of curiosity to see what max and miriya are doing with thier lives. Personally I think it is strange they would make his daughter the focus of the series. Could she have been adopted? How come her hair is pink when her parents have Blue and Green hair?

here are some torrent links to fansubs of some of the series:

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/16.html

^might be able to find some mac 0 there - (not much seeding)

http://www.animeskyscraper.com/torrent.html

^dyrl and mac 7

Maybe by saving some cash (on these) you might be able to afford to buy the sdf macross tv series. (well worth it for the quality - very bright and colourful. Apart from the choppy animation from the time it was made, it looks like the series was just made today! Sell your robotech dvds to raise the funds :D )

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Thanks for the BT links 1/1LVL--but as for selling my RT DVD's...uh no. Too much part of reliving my childhood ;)

And my parents say I never grew up (likely the only thing they and my ex-wife agree on :D)!

Sean

If the first Macross someone sees is M7 it is a poor representation of what Macross has to offer. I just said to see it last or skip it, because (I feel) it is the lamest thing on Earth, a vortex of lame from which there is no escape.

That's not what I mean. My point is the way you said it could scare him from Macross altogether.

Nah, I'be been lurking here long enough that not much about the (sometimes forcful) personalities on MW scares me anymore.

Well, except for that Angry Monkey....

(jk) :D

Sean

That's not what I mean. My point is the way you said it could scare him from Macross altogether.

If he were young it could have been a possibility. Its a good point.

Then again if he had seen M7 first :o He would think all in the universe that is fruity and all in the universe that is lame would have colaborated to create the ultimate in sissy-lameness. He would have thought we were all this lame, therefore not only completely frightened by the Macross franchaise, but frightened at the thought he might be someday be caught in the M7 pride parade and had 'who knows what' done to him... I protect the reputation to Macross, and Macross Fans around the world by driving the spike between the great Macross works, and M7... You should love me for this. Love me like I love myself.

Ya know, John, has anyone told you you seem tres homophobic lately (as in today)? <_<

There are many more subtle ways you can suggest to someone to avoid Macross 7 without sounding like a rabid homophobe of Pink Pecker Squadrons.