Buying bad toys just because....

Mechamaniac

OK, between the pending 1/100 VF-0S, and the newest Toynami MPofC Alpha, I have seen even more of the following types of comments....

"I don't like it, but I will buy them all anyway."
"Well, I'll keep buying them even though...(twenty reasons why the toy sucks)"
"Well if we don't buy them then...."

So my question is...

WHY? do you...

Buy toys that you knew were going to be crap?

Buy toys for more money than they clearly are worth?

Continue to buy more once you have one, and know that they are crap?

I for one will not wast a single red cent on either of the aforementioned toys, at least not at their current price points. IMHO, they are both $20 toys at best.

And subscribing to the philosophy that we have to buy toy A in the hopes of there being toy B is akin to greedily swallowing the nut that the toy company execs just busted down your throat.

IMO, people are overly critical and their actions speak differently than their mouth. This is true in just about everything. I know people that do nothing but complain about their wife, kids, life, job, etc. but do nothing to change it. With toys, people just expect a lot and will always give Toynami hell no matter what. It's easy to be critical of anything and for some, that is how you describe things in general. Nothing is ever perfect and no one gives aways something for nothing, so there will always be something to be critical of.

Critical topics also get much more traffic and attention in real life. Nobody wants to see another thread praising the 1/48 and Yamato. It just gets boring. It's the same in politics, nobody wants to see/hear someone being nice. They want the dirt even though they claim to be sick of it.

Yeah, we shouldnt buy toys that suck. IMHO, I think we buy a lot of the macross /mospeada toys regardless, because we dont have much of a choice besides not buying them. Its not like a car where we can say so and so car company sucks, so there are plenty of other companies. Our options are yamato or toynami, and maybe bandai. So for example the new alpha, may not be perfect at the name states, I think that most people are happy to have any kind of rendition of the alpha since Gakkens. So even though the play value of the toys sucks, most of us that are buying them now a days are strictly buying them for the display value. So as long as we can hide the missapplied factory paint flaws, we are still happy with the toy, even though we can find many problems. I wish we could just not buy the new stuff, and have other companies step in to fill the need. Just like any buisness, no competition, quality goes down and price goes up. We should just start our own toy company. Seriously, we have enough talent in this forum alone that we could make our own toy company. We can get everyone together, talentwise, and monetarywise and just bust out our own factory. Personaly, I would do a fully cnc machined alpha and vf. Yeah, we could build our own macross toys, buy our own macross toys, and then go out of buisness because nobody buys them except for us. You would figure that we would go out of buisness there is no tv show supporting our toy line. Then in 20 years, people will say, hey, you remember that toy company 20 years ago that made some high quality toys. But is defunct now, then our toys would be worth thousands just in the collector market. Yeah, we could be the next takatoku. Im down!!! Sorry for the short post, I like to keep thing simple.

The only bad toys I consider falling victim to even though I knew they were not up to standard was the Yamato GBP, Ostrich and Elint. It goes back to the fact when I didn't get the Bandais when I could. I figure if I really don't like these toys I can sell them later, instead of bothering to hunt them down after I change my mind and decided that I did want them.

The climate of toy collecting has changed due to the internet, specifically because of ebay and boards like this. I feel that the people that are interested in a certain toy but fail to react are the ones losing out. It's easier to get rid of unwanted toy than to buy one at cost after its no longer in production. Yeah sure there's more Alphas on the horizon, but for how long?

I don't really care to make profit from my toys, having never sold one yet. But I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices later when it's way beyond what it's really worth. Of course I don't recommend this to everyone, it's still a costly game...

Ok, I am assuming you are talking about the recent Alpha problems everyone is complaining. It is because no one else is making the Alpha/Legioss toy. And no one wants to pay $150 for the old Gakken ones as well. Also, they make a Beta for the Alpha but we do not know that. i believe some bought for the sake of of having a toy that has the alpha/beta linkup.

Me? I always shop for a good deal. I got my alpha for $65 on preorder. I also got a Gakken Alpha. I will do a comparison/review when I get my MPC Alpha.

I think it's called "fanboy-ism." Complain to high hell about product X, then buy it regardless. But I think it's also important to differentiate between fanboy-ism and impulse purchases. Fanboy-ism knows no limits, whereas impulse items usually top out at $20 (naturally, this number is higher if you're bill gates). With such things as life and saving up for a house, I'm not going to spend a lot of money on a POS. Call me crazy.

I for one am a person who gets bit by the dog and I shoot the dog... none of this going back to try to pet it again thinking it will not bite you again. I had high hopes for the Toynami Legioss but for me it turned out to be a piece of crap so I will not buy any more of them. I give every toy line or maker who makes products I'm interested in one chance... if they blow it then they get no more of my money. In all honesty I gave Toynami TWO chances as I bought one of the VF-1 MPCs and hated it as well.

The only thing I ever bought that I hated were three of the MPC vf1s. I regretted buying them ever since Toynami lied, tortured, and raped us with the R. Hunter MPC. I never should have bought the other two. Those are the only toys I've ever kicked myself for spending money on. The only reason I bought them was for completions sake. Not because I loved the awsome sculpt, die cast content, or the lovely box it came in. :rolleyes:

meh, don't think this is a fair question... very few things in life will hold their value or go up in value... certainly not 98% of new cars and really, very few modern collectibles will be worth anything... hopefully they will just retain their current value.

I buy non essentail stuff like toys because I want them.. if I get all concerned about their fair market value.. well, I would never buy DVDs or music CDs either since those are not worth their MSRPs as well. as long as I can afford the price and I like it enough, I'll get it.

and if I want to complain about it later, I reserve that right :p

I think using the MPC Alpha and 1/100 VF-0S as examples of crap toys is a little unfair. Most of us on MW pre-ordered the Alpha assuming that it would be at least of reasonable quality. We did not order it under the assumption that it was going to be crap. In fact based on all the pre-production photos and comments of those who handled early versions at various trade shows, it appeared to be a very promising toy. We did not know at the time of pre-ordering that it would turn out to be so fragile with so many QC issues :D But even so, I still don't consider it a crap toy. A little over-priced and fragile yes, but not crap. I certainly have no regrets about buying it.

The same applies to the Yamato VF-0S, we do not know at this time whether it is going to be a crap toy or not. It's not even released yet! Yes, the initial sculpt received a great amount of negative criticism on these boards, but Yamato have improved the sculpt and most MWers seem happy with the latest changes based on comments posted in this thread.. I for one am quite happy with the sculpt revisons and am certainly willing to buy this toy.

I can't say I buy toys that I know are going to be crap. If I've seen reviews saying a toy is crap I'll probably stay away from it. However, often I do not have this luxury as I'm an impatient sort who tends to buy toys as soon as they're released. And living in HK, I can usually buy toys long before reviews start popping up on English language web sites.

I think they only toys I've really been disappointed with in the past 5 years have been the Yamato YF-22FP and GBP.

Graham

Depends on the bad toy.

I only buy what looks apealing to me. The Banny Valks I bought because they were small, relatively inexpensive, and I figured I could modify them to be a little better. They really weren't as bad as they'd been made out to be.

The only toys I've got that I'd consider bad, looked good, before I had them in hand. Energon Rodimus looked to have a better robot mode, then he really has, and Energon Jetfire would be fine if his joint ratchets weren't loud enough to wake the dead. In fact, I think he'd be a pretty fun TF, if it wasn't for that.

I've been buying the Galaxy Defenders from Wal-Mart because, well, they're transformable robots and they don't cost a fortune. Right Mr. 2nd edition Roy '1S ?

OK, between the pending 1/100 VF-0S, and the newest Toynami MPofC Alpha, I have seen even more of the following types of comments....
"I don't like it, but I will buy them all anyway."
"Well, I'll keep buying them even though...(twenty reasons why the toy sucks)"
"Well if we don't buy them then...."

So my question is...

WHY? do you...

Buy toys that you knew were going to be crap?

Buy toys for more money than they clearly are worth?

Continue to buy more once you have one, and know that they are crap?

I for one will not wast a single red cent on either of the aforementioned toys, at least not at their current price points. IMHO, they are both $20 toys at best.

And subscribing to the philosophy that we have to buy toy A in the hopes of there being toy B is akin to greedily swallowing the nut that the toy company execs just busted down your throat.

I can see you NEVER paid 800 for a Taka Chunky monkey.

Now everybody likes to complain.

WHY we buy. Because we LIKE to spend money in plastic ABS-Diecast and even PVC crap. What else?

well, although the mpc are crap, espicially the alpha i just received, i will at least buy more products if they produce the cyclones, and other mechs, because they are the only ones making them. just like the yammie fy-21fp, i do have it, it isn't great, but at least i have one. to me it is all about at least having it, because for the longest time i didn't have anything, and that is worse than having crappy toys, trust me. i didn't know about the sites that imported toys, so i was stuck with the american made ones, so although they are crap, they are at least putting out something that can be obtained by one who doesn't know about sites, or doesn't have a computer.