The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

I really wish I could tell you where to find a R1 version of the series, but there has never been one outside of the VHS format. If you can find someone who owns the original US Renditions set, borrow them. Hell, you can buy the Kiseki DVD on eBay if you can find it, just stay away from the Chinese bootleg. I do not want to pressure you into buying something you cannot afford, seeing as how the set will possibly costs upwards of $130 if we get the remastered collection box. To me it is worth it, as I am probably the most fanatical person on this site who loves the show; but I also love the artwork as I am a big fan of Mikimoto.

420590[/snapback]

Hey, I fell in love with Gunbuster through that bootleg, had it not been for that, I wouldn't have imported the R2 special editon! Of course at that point in time, I was already quite used to deciphering HK subtitle gibberish, but that's besides the point :)

At least it's un-edited, which is more than can be said for the Kiseki disc, plus it has the science lessons in-tact.

Great to see that teaser on BV's page but the shilloutte looks a little odd, there seems to be some things sticking out from the shoulder pods just above the engines.

At least from the looks of things the finale of top 2 is going to have plenty of arm crossing. :D

Great to see that teaser on BV's page but the shilloutte looks a little odd, there seems to be some things sticking out from the shoulder pods just above the engines.

421174[/snapback]

You are seeing things. That is Gunbuster's proper silhouette. If the items you are talking about what I am thinking of, then they are part of its head.

You don't suppose they're going to do some kind of uber top 1 & 2 box set are you....that'd be insane, and I'd gladly pay $200 for it!

421455[/snapback]

That would be sweet .... although cheaper maybe.

:)

421174[/snapback]

You are seeing things. That is Gunbuster's proper silhouette. If the items you are talking about what I am thinking of, then they are part of its head.

421307[/snapback]

That makes it's head look massive then, I can understand that the trasnforming toys may have small heads but even Kaiyaido's recent well proportioned figure has a similar sized head.

btw, Noriko, you're the foremost expert so I need to ask you for a favour. :)

Do you have any good really accurate lineart or schematic style drawings of the Gunbuster?

I'm hoping to be able to do a scale 3d model.

I really doubt the posseability will be anything like the Voltes V though.

422067[/snapback]

:blink: Did you miss the Super Inazuma Kick picture?

It's looking fantastic and still plenty of time for bandai to polish it before release.

Thanks for posting that back shot again, it's really cool because it shows (assuming bandai didn't cheat and remove them for display) that all of the parts covering the buster machines cleavages can fold inside the torso. B))

I am so looking forward to this, I've started working overtime to make certain that I can buy it as soon as it's released.

While we are drooling over the pics of the SOC Gunbuster, I just got word today that my Studio HalfEye model will be shipping soon. Hobby Link Japan has them in stock now and ready to buy. Updates on this kit will follow. Feeling strain on wallet now... Otakon is tomorrow... may find a new cel, and DVD is right around the corner as well as the SOC model. Damn, I'm glad I make a decent living...

That makes it's head look massive then, I can understand that the trasnforming toys may have small heads but even Kaiyaido's recent well proportioned figure has a similar sized head.

btw, Noriko, you're the foremost expert so I need to ask you for a favour. :)

Do you have any good really accurate lineart or schematic style drawings of the Gunbuster?

I'm hoping to be able to do a scale 3d model.

422058[/snapback]

Copy the image and circle the part you are talking about on Bandai's page. Post it in a PM to me. As for line art, let me see what I can do.

Noriko, you've seriously got to help me with understanding anything Gunbuster. So I finished watching episode 2. Umm...why were they in lightspeed again? Why did they come across the Lukushiyon in the middle of the warp. Why did they have to pull back in 10 minutes? Why was there no bridge? How the heck did they forward 6 months into the future in just one hour, well, I know that going at light speed would, according to some theories, warp time, but...that's very weird. It's like they go out for 10 minutes, come back and become all qualified to fight Aliens without the experience they could have gained in 6 months time. I'm confused, and Kuat Drive Yards is not impressed.

Okay, I really really am getting confused with this.... I think I like GB2 better.

Time dilation isn't a theory, it's a fact. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation This should have been covered in your high school physics course. IMPORTANT: Time dilation is VERY INTEGRAL to the Gunbuster story.

Lukushiyon was approaching lightspeed, not in warp. They went there to assess survivors and possibility of spaceship retrieval. Unfortunately the bridge was destroyed during it's battle with the aliens. No survivors, no controls, time to get the hell out of there.

They had only 10mins to do their reconnaisance since 10mins relative to them while they approach lightspeed is 6 months for everyone else who are not traveling near light speed.

Physics 20 nor 30 never touched anything with Time Dilation in my HS curriculum. Well, this makes for a very intriguing show. ON TO EPISODE 3!

EDIT: Well hold on, maybe we did something on time, and I skipped that whole section. No wonder I bombed the midterm. LOL. Well now, since I'm studying accounting, I have a whole new set of formulas.

Edited by Spatula

Well it's Anno.  Don't spoil the ending for me, but, is this going to pull off another Evangelion ending?  God I hope not.

422409[/snapback]

Nope, entirely different ending, though I didn't find anything wrong with the Eva ending myself.

The Gunbuster ending is more

::::spoiler::::

Stop reading here & finish watching it!

:::end spoiler:::

Holy dude, after seeing the comparison chart in the prelude before episode 4, for the Space Monsters, these things dwaft te 120km Death Star / 160 km DS II.

Zentradi forces ATTACK!

Edited by Spatula

Gunbusters ending is nothing like Eva's, GB has a very satisfying and definte end.

Noriko, as for that picture, I'm unable to do that at the moment as I only have the internet at work but I'm talking about the top two grey points in the star formation around the GB's head.

It could just be my imagination but they look a little too long in that shilloutte but it was just an observation. :)

As for the line art, cheers in advance, I'll be gratefull for anything you can give me. :D

Now for the SOC again, someone on toyboxdx pointed out that the crotch is painted wrong in that official looking bot mode pic. It's solid orange when it should have a band of grey.

Too bad I can't join in the excitement here, as the world of Gunbuster is very fresh to me (done episode 4 just now). Heh, at least I appreciate the look of the Gunbuster compared to that of the Evas. I thought those were well, ugly. I prefer more mechnical mechs (See Patlabor/Gundam/Five Star Stories and especially MACROSS) than organic stuff. When I see that new toy come out, I just think "holy cow, ...expensive....Xbox 360 level expensive"...

Spatula: If it makes it easier for u:

Only 2 days (IIRC) have passed on the Luxion (48 hours) since the battle happened where noriko's dad died some 10 years ago. So in theory of time dilation, that ship was travelling near light speed for 2 days when the rest of the world went on with their lives in 10 years. Noriko hoped to find her father still alive but to her dismay the bridge was no longer there.

If Noriko took longer than 10 minutes to recon the Luxion, the aliens might have already destroyed earth by the time she gets back to normal space.

Time dilation has been the stuff of hard-scifi and offers very interesting stories. There was a book called Firefly (i think) about a girl who gets to travel in a ship that orbits the earth at the speed of light. Something goes wrong and she was thrown a few thousand years into the future, and she ends up on a desolate dead planet earth.

In Ender's Game, a space fleet was sent to destroy the xenomorphs (buggers) home planet many years ago. The fleet will probably reach it 10 years after it made its journey but to the fleet, only a few days has passed. By the time they reach their destination, their ships are outdated and basically just ill equipped to attack the alien homeworld which has ample time to build up its defences. In the mean time, a genius commander will be trained to take the daunting task of commanding this ill equipped fleet to destroy the alien menace.

Lets not forget Voices of a Distant Star which is a love story by its core, about how a 16 year old girl is sending text messages from space to her lover on earth who only receives her messages every few years due to time dilation. Its pretty sad. Talk about long distance relationship.

Gunbuster is really interesting when it comes to science stuff.

A lot of what they use is well established scientific fact. For example, in Science Lesson 1, Noriko says that space is not absolute zero, but 3 degrees kelvin, due to Black Body Radiation. This is true.

But a lot of other science points are presented as scientific facts, but ones that have not yet been discovered in our time. For example, Tanhouser's Ether Space theory, and Tanhouser Gate theory (which would both be proven).

But the funny thing is... the Ether Space theory is about 100 years old right now. It was disproven ages ago. They just took a century-old, disproven theory, and declared it to be true!

And, of course, there's the occasional in-joke thrown into it all. Like the Tanhouser Gate, which is a Blade Runner reference.

A lot of what they talk about in the science lessons still goes completely over my head, and it leaves me guessing as to just how much of it is made up. But I still think it's pretty damn cool when I can relate some of the science I learned in college to Gunbuster :)

Spatula: If it makes it easier for u:

Only 2 days (IIRC) have passed on the Luxion (48 hours) since the battle happened where noriko's dad died some 10 years ago. So in theory of time dilation, that ship was travelling near light speed for 2 days when the rest of the world went on with their lives in 10 years. Noriko hoped to find her father still alive but to her dismay the bridge was no longer there.

422440[/snapback]

This is the part I don't get. Are we assuming that time will only go one way? That is forward. You can either "speedup" time relative to the rest of the people by doing their lightspeed thing, or just go as the normal pace as everyone else, but how can you go back to something 10 years, even if you're traveling at let'sassume C speed, wouldn't time be moving forward?

Sorry, much of this stuff goes way above my head, perhaps this is why I liked Star Wars over Star Trek. Sometimes there's just too much detail. Don't worry, I still like Gunbuster, but I didn't expect it to be this deep.

Sorry, what's the Luxion again? ;___;

I just know of that big ship the Exelsomething and the Lukushionsomething (I'm terrible with names), yea but what's the Luxion?

Maybe I should see Back to the Future 1-3 again, I think that was one of the rare movies/shows that made the concept of time travel more digestible.

Edited by Spatula

This is the part I don't get.  Are we assuming that time will only go one way? That is forward.  You can either "speedup" time relative to the rest of the people by doing their lightspeed thing, or just go as the normal pace as everyone else, but how can you go back to something 10 years, even if you're traveling at let'sassume C speed, wouldn't time be moving forward? 

snip

Maybe I should see Back to the Future 1-3 again, I think that was one of the rare movies/shows that made the concept of time travel more digestible.

422501[/snapback]

She's not going back 10 years, so nothing wrong there...

Slightly OT, but since we're going into astrophysics here... :-p

One of my ol Physics profs once commented that while "time travel" itself might not be possible, it's feasable if we change our concept of time travel and apply some Einstein. Using layman's terms: If we assume that all time travel is is the desire to observe what happened in the past, all we would need to do is travel faster than the speed of light, speed away from the object we seek to observe, stop, turn around, and we would be able to observe events as they unfold. So theoretically, if we wanted to observe the Romans being decimated at Cannae, we simply need to plot out how far out we need to travel away from Earth. Really simple conceptually.

Now, whether time REALLY goes in only one direction... hehe, there's something for the Physics majors among us to answer :lol:

This is why I study accounting. It's so black and white. Either the books balance or they don't! :)

After seeing episode 6. WHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTt.

that was so depressing I thought. It wasn't a bad ending, and it surely wasn't as perplexing nor controversial as Evas, but still, it's so sad they come back to Earth and they'll not know anyone on Earth ;___;

This is why I study accounting.  It's so black and white. Either the books balance or they don't!  :)

After seeing episode 6.  WHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTt.

that was so depressing I thought.  It wasn't a bad ending, and it surely wasn't as perplexing nor controversial as Evas, but still, it's so sad they come back to Earth and they'll not know anyone on Earth ;___;

422528[/snapback]

ech... don't get me started on Accounting, it's even worse... after working at an accounting firm and seeing all the creative ways to play with costs, I think Physics has more rigid laws.. :ph34r:

Just went through Gunbuster again, and I caught portions of the soundtrack that were obviously inspired by other famous pieces... Rocky and Hallelujia being the two prime suspects that stand out right now.

Cough Enron Cough. Yeah, well I guess you can't just bend the laws of gravity with a snap of a finger, rather than bend the "laws" of capitalizing a cost rather than expensing it. LOL.

Still, I don't know if this is for the better or not, seeing that this mainly is a Macross board, but I like Macross better. Gunbuster is still good, but I guess not what I expected. Actually, I didn't know what to expect in the first place besides GIANT ROBOTS VS SPACE MONSTERS like in GB2.

Cough Enron Cough.  Yeah, well I guess you can't just bend the laws of gravity with a snap of a finger, rather than bend the "laws" of capitalizing a cost rather than expensing it.  LOL. 

Still, I don't know if this is for the better or not, seeing that this mainly is a Macross board, but I like Macross better.  Gunbuster is still good, but I guess not what I expected.  Actually, I didn't know what to expect in the first place besides GIANT ROBOTS VS SPACE MONSTERS like in GB2.

422532[/snapback]

I think the main draw of Gunbuster is the heavy drama. Sure we have a huge robot with frickin laser beams on its head and kicking the crap out of space monsters, but we also have a touching story of a young woman and her inner struggles... oh, and the story is really done in a more cohesive form than the drug-inspired ending of Eva. At least Gunbuster got grayscale stillframes, lol. It's something we don't get a lot of these days. Makoto Shinkai (Kumo no mukou and VOADS) and Nagano (FSS) come close though, Makoto Shinkai for a similarly touching story and Nagano for the massive scale that everything takes place at.