Coolest breakage of the Sound Barrier Evar.

JValk

plus.. you can't "see" the sound barrier being broken. that white stuff is from the moisture in the air being roughed up i beleive. i've seen that stuff on f14's at less than super sonic speeds.

What can I say, 1999 was a vintage year for sound barrier breakage perhaps?

Anyhow, when the VF-19 is shown to break the sound barrier, leaving nice little evap rings behind it - I wonder if that's accurate at all.

I don't understand these people. Why even get a sound barrier anymore? You just know some nut in a Hornet will break it again.

Sigh. It's no wonder insurance costs so much now.

Edit: Sorry. I hadn't bothered to look at the pic. I get it now. That guy isn't a nut. He's just trying to escape that giant alien cotton wad. Still, if that kind of thing happens with any regularity, its all the more reason not to get a new sound barrier.

Edited by Californium

Somewhere I have a set of photos of Tomcats with the same 'cottonball' or ring behind them...even a video of the effect at low altitude (as pointed out by someone else, probably sub-sonic). If I can track down the original sources, I'll link them. For some reason, it just looks cooler with an F-14...then again, an F-14 gathering dust on some beatup strip is cooler looking than almost any Hornet image, in my opinion. :D

yeah, the F/A-18 is about the LEAST interesting aircraft to perform this... ahh well, let's hear it for great photography of a really bad plane...

Also, who said anything about Macross Plus lying in it's animation?

Edited by Skull Leader

Can someone please enlighten me as to why the F/A-18 is considered a "bad" aircraft? Is it just because it's replacing the F-14 as the Navy's main carrier aircraft or is there some real problems with the aircraft that I just haven't seen?

Don't get me wrong, the F-14 is still my favorite jet of all-time, but I haven't seen any reason to hate the Hornet.

Mainly because it's usually inferior in most aspects to the planes it replaces. That usually stems from:

1. Its insanely high drag. No plane can out-decelerate the Hornet! (except Harriers)

2. The high drag causes high fuel burn, combined with its low fuel load, means it can't fly very far, nor carry very much. And the big fuel tanks cause so much drag, they practically cancel out the fuel gain. (There are situations where its actually better to carry LESS fuel in drop tanks, due to the drag saved by not carrying them).

3. Jack of all trades, not all that great at any. The F-15 is NOT a multi-role plane, and that's why the C is a great fighter, and the E is a great bomber--they don't make the same plane do both, they have one variant do one thing, and another variant do another. Specialization is a GOOD thing for planes. F-18's are forced to do every role with the exact same airframe. Even F-16's are optimized for a particular rle, though its not as well known. (Block 30's are fighters, 40's are bombers, 50's are SEAD with a secondary fighting ability)

4. The YF-17 was a neat little plane, often described as a hot-rod. Until MDC thwacked it with the ugly-stick until they had beaten it into its present drag-whore shape of today, the F/A-18. (Ironically, many of the "improvements" done to the Super Hornet were merely making it look more like the original YF-17 and F-18L, what the plane was originally intended to be)

Edited by David Hingtgen

FAVORITISM BY THE MODS!!!!

you HAD to make us come out and say it.

we don't like you.

hehe jk. :p

:lol::lol::lol:

even my inane topics last longer than that...

nya nya nya

ps mods... next bribe is on the way :lol:

we don't like you.

nya nya nya

ouch you know it hurts when kanata says it. :D

we don't like you.

nya nya nya

ouch you know it hurts when kanata says it. :D

You said it...and how! :o (insert Alfalpha emoticon here) ;)

But WDC...I really liked your thread on the Fold System, maybe they locked it because it was still too top secret? :ph34r:

ROb MN