new avengers

Wolverine, Spiderman, Spiderwoman(original Jessisca Drew version), and the Sentry will join Captain America as the new Avengers. Marvel is planning to expand Wolverine's role in the Marvel Universe. New Avengers# 1 will start after the "Avengers Dissassembled" storyline. Also, both Captain America and the Thunderbolts will have new series.

post-26-1092768238_thumb.jpg

this, in my opinion is fricking stupid. thats what, FOUR teams wolvie is on?? apparently even Chris Claremont was dismayed at this news.

1. Uncanny

2. Astonishing

3. Adjective-less

4. avengers???

same with Spidey, the guy has three other solo books with MK Spidey, Amazing and Spectacular??

oh well, its Bendis, so i'll probably at least check out a few issues.

The Avengers Disassembled story is looking good. issue 500 kicked all kinds of ass.

Captain America is gonna be written by Ed Brubaker, and that guy rocks too ( if you don't read Sleeper or Gotham Central, you should be!!). looking forward to that and the thunderbolts.

man... marvel is planning on expanding wolverine's role in the marvel universe???

hmm... lets see...

wolverine was the first mutant

wolverine fought in WWII along side captain america

wolverine fought in the vietnam war

wolverine saved peter parker's parents during the cold war

wolverine has ties to canadian and US secret service

wolverine is involved in nearly all secret ninja societies.

wolverine goes on top secret missions for shield

wolverine goes on top secret missions for interdimensional law firms.

wolverine is the focus of every tom dick and harry that wants to take over the world.

wolverine brought back the pheonix

wolverine killed magento

wolverine took down cable's kid

wolverine is on almost every X team

wolverine knows freaking everyone in the marvel universe

what else am I missing?

:blink:

man... marvel is planning on expanding wolverine's role in the marvel universe???

hmm... lets see...

wolverine is the focus of every tom dick and harry that wants to take over the world.

wolverine killed magento

what else am I missing?

Apocalypse was the first mutant.

hmm... lets see...

wolverine killed magento

what else am  I missing?

Apocalypse was the first mutant.

ah, I thought apocolypse was something else...?

oh well, than the he's the second mutant.

I thought Wolvie was only like 150-200 yrs old, according to Origins anyway. Also, don't apocolypse and Mystique predate him by a couple thousand years. IRC from convos with friends who are X-Heads, Apoc is the first mutant and Mystique is the liek the second or third oldest in existance, being something like a thousand years old or more.

Interesting looking team. I have to agree that I'm not keen on the idea of Wolvie being an Avenger, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Bendis. Glad to see Spidey back, though...I know he has about a million books of his own, but I was glad they made him a member way back.

Who are the other two people in the picture? I can make out Cap, Wolvie, Iron Man, Spidey, and Spider-Woman.

<_<

I was actually going to ramble on over this, but decided the smiley says enough. I don't understand this 'Bendis is god' stuff. Don't dislike his work, but maybe I just haven't read enough or for long enough to appreciate whatever magic it is that fans love and Marvel feels is worthy of allowing him to write any book he wants and do whatever he wants.

Marvel should just turn its M upside down and call themselves Wolvie Comics. And isn't Spider-Man a liability in a globe/galaxy hopping role if he's the sort to worry about whether he fed his goldfish that morning? The one nice thing about this Marvel Universe under Bendis implosion is that you won't need crossover epics since every comic will feature the same five characters. Okay...I promised not to ramble, so 'nuff said.

Terry, thank ya for the reply.

Samurai, if you get the chance (and if you haven't already), I'd highly recommend that you read Bendis' "Powers" series; it's a great blend of crime fiction and super heroes. Bendis is always at his best when examining the motivation of the characters he's handling, which is why I'll probably always like him as a crime fiction writer first and foremost, and if they let him do that spin on Avengers, it should be good.

<Now remembers why she stopped reading Marvel comics altogether>

It seems every few years some "super writer" comes along or comes back (like Claremont) and everyone is abuzz how great the comic stories will be. Only to eventually get dissappointed.... untill the next hot "God-Writer" of comics comes along all the while the books themselves are getting worse and worse. If it's not a retelling for a "new generation" of readers it's some insanely convoluted cross over where old characters are killed off for the sole purpose to throw in new ones for the "new generation" of readers. The fanboys and girls love it all at first before eventually bitching and tearing it to shreds and Marvel is forced to look for another "new" gimmick or "hot" writer which will continue the same rehashed trend over an dover again. Fierce cycle.

I yearn for the day when a comic company does something REALLY gutsy by killing off one of it's cornerstone characters like Spider-Man, Wolverine, Batman, Wonderwoman, my beloved Rogue and all those Gen-13 brats FOR REAL without a clone involved or some back from the dead crap. Of course that will only happen in a fanstasy world of mine because so long as those characters keep selling books, comic companies will milk them for all they are worth. This stunt is no different since the Avengers series hasn't been a hot commodity in ages.

Jemstone, Betsy Braddock is dead, or so they say, and probably will stay that way for a while.

Bendis is good, but not great. i think Brubaker, Stracinzski, Willingham, Vaughn and Diggle are all better. my only gripe with Bendis is the decompression. lots and lots of talking, little forward plot progression. its starting to wear thin on Ultimate Spiderman, but its still a pretty good book. Powers, on the other hand, is awesome. Marvel is leaning on him way too much these days, and i think its gonna hurt them, but so far, its not too bad. considering Marvel's wonderboy was Chuck Austen up until the day he left, i think Bendis is a WAY better writer and i'll let it ride on this guy for a bit, considering Claremont (who's talent has been faltering lately with his Gen13 and Xtreme X-men) is still writing TWO flagship titles, Stracinzski is writing ASM, and Bendis is only writing the Avengers.

Austen, at his height, wrote New X-Men, Avengers and Uncanny X-men. its a pretty fair trdae off.

IA86, she wasn't a "corner stone" character. In fact I had commended Marvel when they offed her (even tho it was kinda lame the way it happened). Only thing is she was always sort of a "supporting" character even after Revanche died.

Edited by Jemstone

Same went for Colossus and Moira McTaggert (tho she wans't really popular). Still none of them were "corner stone" characters. Killing of a character like Jean Grey (again) would just be redundant.

Thank God Austen is no longer with Marvel. His storytelling was horrid at best. Psylocke may not be dead. Claremont didn't originally intend for her death to be permanent. At the time Marvel got new editors (Quesada) who instittued a dead means dead policy. So Claremont didn't bring her back, but the story he's been telling in Uncanny hints that she may make a return. I can't stand the way they've prostituted the wolvie character. The only thing they're going to do is create a reader backlash against the character. BTW check out Whedon's run on Astonishing X-men. He's quickly making me forget all about Grant Morrison. Whedon has infused some life into some pretty bland characters. They're is alot of internal drama in his stories which is good.

yeah, but Marvel has been pimping out wolverine for years. at least back in the early 90's, he was on the Blue team and that was it. of course, he was doing guest shots for many of Marvel's books, including his own solo book. now, hes on 3, soon to be 4.

the fact is, people keep buying books because wolvie and/or spidey are making guest shots on them. marvel knows it will sell, so the editors allow it. what can consumers do? don't fall for it. buy Y: The Last Man, Fables, Queen and Country, The Losers, or Sleeper. there are plenty of good books out there that are not conventional superhero fare and are AWESOME. yet they don't sell well, while every piece of sh!t with wolvie or spidey on the cover sells like crazy.

you wanna know something wierd? i hear Austen's run on Action comics for DC is pretty good. even from people that hated the X-men and Avengers stories he penned.

Damn Austen. he Blinded Remy... :angry:<_<

this just doesn't sound right to me...as much as i like webhead and wolvie...i can't see them as avengers...i can see why marvel is doing it (maybe it's a struggling title?) i dunno...it just doesn't seem right to me <_<

FYI - the other mystery character is Luke Cage, the Power Man. Also, She-Hulk is to be a member as well.

Actually, it sort of makes sense. I view this as Bendis's "JLA-ing" of the Avengers, and in the JLA you have Batman and Superman, who each have something like 5 monthlies or whatever. Since Spider Man and Wolverine are arguably THE most popular Marvel characters, having them together on a team is a money making idea.

And let me just say that I LOVE that the Sentry is on the team...his character has so much potential, he absolutely rocks. Plus we'll get a kick-ass villain in the mix too.

The only thing that's got me scratching my head is Spider-Woman....she's a lame character to begin with, and with Spider Man on the team seems to be totally redundant. Why is she even here? Does anyone care?

Personally I would've added the Hulk and Captain Marvel to the roster.

The fact is, people keep buying books because wolvie and/or spidey are making guest shots on them. marvel knows it will sell, so the editors allow it. what can consumers do? don't fall for it. buy Y: The Last Man, Fables, Queen and Country, The Losers, or Sleeper. there are plenty of good books out there that are not conventional superhero fare and are AWESOME. yet they don't sell well, while every piece of sh!t with wolvie or spidey on the cover sells like crazy.

Unfortunately, Marvel sometimes suffers from whatever illness the Fox network suffers by canceling it's best books. The Alias series was great (no relation to the Jen Garner show) but it was canned. I just hope this wasn't due to a Disney/ABC prevention. They've done that with so many more titles I've lost count.

Edited by Jemstone

The fact is, people keep buying books because wolvie and/or spidey are making guest shots on them. marvel knows it will sell, so the editors allow it. what can consumers do? don't fall for it. buy Y: The Last Man, Fables, Queen and Country, The Losers, or Sleeper. there are plenty of good books out there that are not conventional superhero fare and are AWESOME. yet they don't sell well, while every piece of sh!t with wolvie or spidey on the cover sells like crazy.

Unfortunately, Marvel sometimes suffers from whatever illness the Fox network suffers by canceling it's best books. The Alias series was great (no relation to the Jen Garner show) but it was canned. I just hope this wasn't due to a Disney/ABC prevention. They've done that with so many more titles I've lost count.

unfortunately, that was ALL Bendis. he was the one who decided that the Alias book didn't need to continue, even though it was the best book out there. Bendis decided that he could tell better stories within the "Mainstream" Marvel continuity and use "bigger" names, such as Spidey, with The Pulse, which also stars Jessica Jones.

DC is guilty of the same thing, though. they cancel great books while promoting the hell out of crappy ones. they canned Wildcats 3.0 because of low sales, even though it was one of the best and most critically acclaimed books out there.

Wildcats 3.0 was good? I got so tired of all the reincarnations i decided not to bother. Looks like I was right.

Most of the books I liked get cancelled or are limited serieses. Major Bummer was hilarious. So was Tank Girl, not the movie... the book.

Haven't read any comics in a while because of the continual price increases, but I have to agree that Wolvie on the Avengers is a bad idea. He is probably my favorite character, but he is becoming as watered down as MLB pitching talent. I can see Spidey on the team though because he should bring a lot of fun and interpersonal action/storyline between the members.

The biggest problem I think with comics lately though have been the super long, extra convoluted, multiple book crossover storylines. :angry: Why can't we have the simple three or four issue storylines anymore that gave an entertaining story with action and a definite outcome (good guys win, bad guy is caught or sent scampering badly defeated). I like complex characters, but I think a little simplification would be great for the industry, these are comic books for chrissakes!

Just my $.02 ;)

Holy crap! I haven't read comic books in years but all this is news to me. Psylocke is dead? Mystique is 1000 years old? Wolvie is 150 to 200 years old? (I thought he was more like 90 to 100.) WTF?! :blink:

I don't like the idea of Wolvie on the Avengers. It just doesn't seem right. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of Spidey either. I always thought that the Avengers were the big guns of the Marvel Universe even if they weren't the most popular.

i think Origin has Wolvie born sometime in the late 1800's, so 120 is probably more like it. he has, in some form or another, served in WW1 and WW2.

read X-men: The end. its honestly Claremont's best work i have read in years!!!

Edited by Isamu Atreides 86

i've been debating whether to pick up this title. is it really that good? how is it compared to wolverine: the end? (if you've been reading that series that is)

i've been debating whether to pick up this title. is it really that good? how is it compared to wolverine: the end? (if you've been reading that series that is)

its worth a look. in my opinion its awesome. if you wanna check out the first issue, risk free, go here. .

i am liking where chris is going with this. plus, hes got 18 issues to tell the story, which is great. well worth a look.

Spoilers on issue 2

Claremont gave me my gravy already, and its only issue 2!! Rogue and Remy are married!! i am overjoyed they are still together, and Chris undid Austen's dumb ass "Blind Remy" storyline. they are honestly my two favorite characters.

They are gonna bring Psylocke back?

NO.

One of the WORST things about comic books is this refusal to actually leave any character dead if they think they can make a buck off of them.

If there was justice in this world, I would become editor in chief of either Marvel or DC.

The first time someone tried to turn in a story where a previously dead character came back to life, they would be FIRED, and only then would I send out information/press releases explaining how our company will stop ruining our stories with lame back from the dead bullcrap that make previous stories lose any and all reason for being.

I would also make sure employees, fans, and the press understood that comic books are supposed to be stories, and not unchanging fanboy wankfests full of ICONS. Because in stories, characters can change and die. Who tend to stay dead. Anyone who would have trouble with this concept is welcome to take a long walk off a short pier.

Which fits in with that X Men comic preview.

They couldn't leave Magneto or Jean dead for even a year could they?

IDIOTS.

Edited by Bloodcat