Custom VF-1A 1/60

DatterBoy

I decided to give this one to my boy, since the pant scheme I had worked out never came to fruition, believe it or not, that's a painted valk, not just a color stripped version. And I'll tell ya, even with the Pine Sol, that paint did not want to come off...

Sorry if this custom is not worthy of this forum...

post-4-1092734072_thumb.jpg

Cool pics DatterBoy! You've got a handsome looking son and there's NO greater gift that giving your own flesh and blood his very own CHUNKY MONKEY.

Let him manhandle it all he wants. They're literally indestructible. Has he transformed it into Gerwalk Mode already?

Cool pics DatterBoy! You've got a handsome looking son and there's NO greater gift that giving your own flesh and blood his very own CHUNKY MONKEY.

Let him manhandle it all he wants. They're literally indestructible. Has he transformed it into Gerwalk Mode already?

That's no Chunky Monkey... it's a 1/60.

Great pic s Dat. What a lucky son.... :D

Nicer than a low Viz? well, with the camo splotches, it definitely is.

I do have to say, I let my son play with my 48's first, but after he began to obsess over them (seriously, he would not go to bed unles he had one in his hands), I had to take them away...

It brings a tear to my eye knowing that he will one day be able to appreciate and inhrit his father's valk collection... *sigh* I'm such a freak...

:Dat

Unfortunately, I don't own any Chunkey Monkey's but I am in the process of getting one for that reason specifically. If I can give one to him, he will not be able todestroy it. These yammies have a lot of plastic in em so i need to go the Bandai route with him.

Like most peeps here, he seems to like the jet mode the best. If I give it to him in batt or gerwalk, he wants me to chnage it to jet for him.. go figure. I prefer gerwalk or batt mode myself.

See the way he's holding it? That sucker won't last more than a day or two at the hands of a 2 year old. Now a Chunky Monkey.. well...

post-4-1092736329_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

LOL!

Actually that is a pretty neat paint scheme (or lack of it). Plain Jane VF-1A. You should've said it was a custom Alaska Base paint job.

DatterBoy, Nice looking custom and nice looking kid as well.

Personally, I would think at 2 years old, he might be a bit young to be playing with Valk toys, but anyway that's your call as a father :D However, I'd definitely say that at that age, a Valk toy should be allowed only with adult supervision though.

I'd recommend a 1/55 Bandai reissue rather than a Yamato 1/60 as the 1/55 is tougher and more resistant to rough handling, plus there's no heavy legs to fall off.

However, even with a 1/55 for a child that young, I'd recommend removing the front and rear landing gear springs to prevent the spring-loaded landing gear from hurting his little fingers when it pops open. I'd also consider gluing the canopy permanently on, so he can't remove it and try to swollow it and choke on it. We all know how little kids like to put everything in their mouths.

Probably the best starter Valk for a small child IMO would be the Bandai 1/65 scale VF-17D/S toys. Those thing are virtually indestructible, even tougher than the 1/55s and yet have no metal parts and no removeable parts, except the gunpod.

Now I have my own kid, I've been thinking a lot about child-proofing my collection and which toy is best to start him with :D

Graham

Personally, I would think at 2 years old, he might be a bit young to be playing with Valk toys, but anyway that's your call as a father :D However, I'd definitely say that at that age, a Valk toy should be allowed only with adult supervision though.

Now I have my own kid, I've been thinking a lot about child-proofing my collection and which toy is best to start him with :D

Graham

A bit young? Nah. Since he does not run with it in hand, I'm not concerned for poking eyes out and the such. He doesn't stick it in his mouth either, so I'm covered there. My only real concern is that he'd break it.

matter of fact, my wife is presently online looking for a F14 or F15 that is intended for his age since she does not like the idea of him playing with my pricey toys.

Graham,

Child proofing toys = putting them away or out of sight.

My boy is 2, and believe me, if he can see it, it's fair game to him. My collection is about to go back into their boxes or risk the wrath of the little man. He can walk, he can climb... nothing is safe.

That does look really nice...do some panel lines in light gray and it would be rockin!

Rob MN

That's exactly what I was doing, but I used a brush and the brush lines made it look terrible so I abandoned the idea until I could get a grey spray to finish off in. But... I got anxious and applied the decals so that ended the chance of adding grey. May go back, remove the stickers and finish this off.

Very nice looking son Datterboy!!!

The custom looks pretty nice IMO. Plain and simple, I like it a lot. I think you convinced me of doing the same ;)

You're gonna do the same? Wow, hahahhaa. Seriously, I liked the plane jane look too, but mostly because it's kind of nice to see the detail of a valk stand alone form the paint jobs. I'd love to see how that turns out.

LOL!

Actually that is a pretty neat paint scheme (or lack of it). Plain Jane VF-1A. You should've said it was a custom Alaska Base paint job.

Oddly enough, that was what this intended to be. Sort of a Low Viz snow fighter for the arctic. "SNOWMEN". Made an emblem and everything. Maybe I'll finish this thing off...

Very nice looking son Datterboy!!!

The custom looks pretty nice IMO. Plain and simple, I like it a lot. I think you convinced me of doing the same ;)

You're gonna do the same? Wow, hahahhaa. Seriously, I liked the plane jane look too, but mostly because it's kind of nice to see the detail of a valk stand alone form the paint jobs. I'd love to see how that turns out.

I'll definitely do it!!!

And I'm gonna post pictures of it ;)

***ungh**** (gnashing my teeth)

Firstly, nice looking boy thar. Cool lookin valk too.

That being said,

I fear for both the boy and the valk. 1/60 is heavy, and pointy. If a leg fell off even at a 2 year old's height, it could seriously hurt his head, or even if it just fell on his foot. VF-1A head laser and nose can poke out an eye. Landing gear doors can cut. Wing headlights can come off and be swallowed. not to mention he's handling a painted valk that can chip or get smudged onto skin. Just not a good idea IMO, being a parent myself. Landing gear wheels can also come off and be swallowed. But really, just dropping it on his own feet can really hurt. Holding it by the wing like that is just asking for it.

Not to mention, even if you don't want the valk anymore, even if it maybe only cost $35 at the cheapest, that's just too much money and quality toy to cast to a 2 year old....hold it for him till he's older and can appreciate it better. In the meantime, give him a plastic bootleg, a 1/65 (like Graham said), or MAYBE a chunky monkey (minus landing gears). But for goshsakes, I fear for what could happen with that fan-painted sharp pointy heavy diecast collectible in the hands of an innocent toddler.

Just my two cents.

By the way, Nice looking son you got there, again. :)

(btw, I started my daughter on a 1/65 blazervalk (with supervision), which, she was able to transform on her own at age 4). Yesterday she drew me a valk coming in from the sky in fighter mode shooting missiles at a glaug unit on the ground. It is every macross parent's dream! My little Meltrandi!

(btw, I started my daughter on a 1/65 blazervalk (with supervision), which, she was able to transform on her own at age 4). Yesterday she drew me a valk coming in from the sky in fighter mode shooting missiles at a glaug unit on the ground. It is every macross parent's dream! My little Meltrandi![/color]

Awww..........that's so sweet. :D

No Macross toys for my son yet as he's far too young at 2 months and one week old, but I've already started playing Macross CDs to him. I have to do it when my wife is at work though, as she doesn't like Macross music :rolleyes: For somebody with such a good taste in men, she has a very poor taste in music :p

Graham

I have to do it when my wife is at work though, as she doesn't like Macross music :rolleyes: For somebody with such a good taste in men, she has a very poor taste in music :p

Graham

Graham: You would hope that she doesn't check this forum on a regular basis.

Wait, you should notice by now that some of your Macross collections start to dissapear :rolleyes:

You guys are awesome!

I love how you take this the way you all do with concern and such! Who says that MWers are heartless freaks?

1. I don't let him walk around with it, though standing is acceptable.

2. He only puts food, and his fingers in his mouth (he's pretty good at knowing what is edible and what is not)

Not all young uns can be trusted, but i trust him.

:)

Dat

No Macross toys for my son yet as he's far too young at 2 months and one week old, but I've already started playing Macross CDs to him. I have to do it when my wife is at work though, as she doesn't like Macross music :rolleyes: For somebody with such a good taste in men, she has a very poor taste in music :p

Graham

Really? I thought you said you had Dogfighter played at your wedding? :D