Macross Plus English Dub

Valk009

I'm glad this has been brought back up again, since it concerns something very interesting to me. The issue with episode 4 which Keith mentioned is one which I have struggled to find a good concrete reason for, but uncovered many strange rumours about.

Anyway, I heard years and years ago that the master tapes for episode 4 were destroyed or something. So Manga had to re-make the soundtrack from scratch using Hollywood sound effects, and the BGM tracks available to them (hence no "Dog Fight", track 12 on the For Fans Only OST -- they used Breakout yet again).

Meanwhile the Bandai Visual had been releasing the US dub with Japanese subs for the real hardcore fans on VHS and LD, but only up to episode 3. Episode 4 was never released in this format (only the original Japanese version, of course).

I remember that it took Manga a year or more in between releasing episode 3 and 4. Now, when they began bringing out the DVDs of the show in Japan, I was surprised to see that they included the English dubs as well... Except when I watched episode 4 -- although yes, Keith is correct, they do have the original sound effects -- I realised that the CAST ha totally changed.

Any fans of David Hayter from Metal Gear Solid?

Yeah, well, Hayter or no Hayter, this is much worse than the original English dub of episode 4 so I just downloaded the old one.

I'm wondering if Japan could not afford to re-import back the old dub of Episode 4? Maybe there are copyright laws concerning the added sound effects? Anyway, for whatever reason they thought it more affordable to hire brand-new actors and re-dub the episode entirely.

Anyone know the specific reasons for Bandai's actions, and/or the existence of this dub? Egan Loo..?

PS -- Yeah, the British release has both audio tracks, but only one for the Movie because that was never dubbed, maybe that's where the confusion began. Although seeing as it has been 4 years since the question was asked, I guess everyone's figured that out already.

Anyone know the specific reasons for Bandai's actions, and/or the existence of this dub? Egan Loo..?

I've often wondered that as well. Maybe Bandai Visual didn't have the rights to the new sound effects that Manga used, or BV simply didn't not like the new musical arrangement. Whatever their reasoning, I agree that BV's dub was worse than Manga's. Although it does sound like Anne Sherman reprised her role as Myung, but I can't tell since the credits are in Japanese.

I'm glad this has been brought back up again, since it concerns something very interesting to me. The issue with episode 4 which Keith mentioned is one which I have struggled to find a good concrete reason for, but uncovered many strange rumours about.

Anyway, I heard years and years ago that the master tapes for episode 4 were destroyed or something. So Manga had to re-make the soundtrack from scratch using Hollywood sound effects, and the BGM tracks available to them (hence no "Dog Fight", track 12 on the For Fans Only OST -- they used Breakout yet again).

Meanwhile the Bandai Visual had been releasing the US dub with Japanese subs for the real hardcore fans on VHS and LD, but only up to episode 3. Episode 4 was never released in this format (only the original Japanese version, of course).

I remember that it took Manga a year or more in between releasing episode 3 and 4. Now, when they began bringing out the DVDs of the show in Japan, I was surprised to see that they included the English dubs as well... Except when I watched episode 4 -- although yes, Keith is correct, they do have the original sound effects -- I realised that the CAST ha totally changed.

Any fans of David Hayter from Metal Gear Solid?

Yeah, well, Hayter or no Hayter, this is much worse than the original English dub of episode 4 so I just downloaded the old one.

I'm wondering if Japan could not afford to re-import back the old dub of Episode 4? Maybe there are copyright laws concerning the added sound effects? Anyway, for whatever reason they thought it more affordable to hire brand-new actors and re-dub the episode entirely.

PS -- Yeah, the British release has both audio tracks, but only one for the Movie because that was never dubbed, maybe that's where the confusion began. Although seeing as it has been 4 years since the question was asked, I guess everyone's figured that out already.

I also remember the incredibly long wait between episodes 3 and 4 (not quite as frustrating as the wait between Evangelion Genesis 0:10 and 0:11, but close). I never heard that the masters were destroyed, but I did hear that Manga, for whatever reason, couldn't get their hands on them, and as such, had to build everything from scratch (I got the subbed version, so I didn't know about any of this at the time).

I also heard the BV fixed all of this for the recent DVD Remaster, but I haven't seen it, so I wouldn't know. :unsure:

I also heard the BV fixed all of this for the recent DVD Remaster, but I haven't seen it, so I wouldn't know. :unsure:

Well, that's what I mean, their "fix" was to re-dub the whole thing with a different cast.

And the Lone Wolf, there are English credits on the R2 release, you just have to select some other option in the menu. Haven't seen it myself recently, but I do recall that Myung's voice may have been similar, so I'll check the credits again when I get the chance and report back my findings.

The voice acting for the English dub of the Macross Plus OVA is suprisingly good (at least I think so). However, there is at least one case of bad translation.

In episode # 1 when the dubbed Col. Millard is talking about the YF-19, he refers to it as being "made by Industries". Actually what he should say if the dub was correct is "made by Shinsei Industries". This has always really bugged me.

Personally, I prefer to watch all my anime in Japanese with English subs as 99.99% of the time the Japanese voice actors will be far superior to their Western counterparts IMO.

Graham

Don't forget, I think the version that you watch FIRST has a big impact on which you prefer. (Not trying to start a Dub vs Sub war here though).

I would find it quite difficult to watch Macross Plus in Japanese with subtitles for the simple reason that the Dub version was the only one I had access to here in Australia for a long time. I had no choice until I got the DVD two years ago and by then I was too used to the dubbed version.

Taksraven

PS. With most anime DVD's, don't bother to watch the English dub with the English subtitles on, as they are usually too different. (Most english subtitles are translated quite differently from the japanese audio.) Very annoying for people like myself with hearing problems.

I liked the eng dub , I think they did a good job like mainstream animes like Death note & Eva

its more about the actor being able to relay the emotion of the character on the screen.

They are showing it for free on si-fi channel on mondays

on a 2hour block called ani-monday.

they show the OVA macross plus I always miss parts 1 3 &4

we got a dvd-r box now I can record them all now :lol:

And the Lone Wolf, there are English credits on the R2 release, you just have to select some other option in the menu. Haven't seen it myself recently, but I do recall that Myung's voice may have been similar, so I'll check the credits again when I get the chance and report back my findings.

You're absolutely right, I completely forget there were English credits on the R2! :)

I just checked and my ear didn't fail me, Anne Sherman did reprise the role of Sharon for this release. And, according to the credits, she's the only holdover from the original English cast, the rest are all new.

And here's another bit of trivia: David Hayter is credited as a VA on the R2 English dub. Unfortunately it doesn't list which character he voiced, but it sounds like he was Isamu in this version.

I can't stand the Dub. I am so mad at myself for downloading MacPlus with english dubs... I thought I was getting the Japanese...

Of course My Boyfriend is a Pilot NOW! is the worse offender; but in general the whole thing just sounds stale...

The worse part is when Myung and Guld are up on the lookout tower Star mountain of whatever... there's a moment when Myung hesitates in her answer and due to the dub it just really has a flat dramatic effect even though the animation clearly shows it was meant to be more impact-like....

I just don't like dubs. (not trying to start a sub vs dub war either).

I love the songs in Japanese, I think characters are more expressive in japanese - I just can't stand dubs in any medium - anime or movie.

I like hearing differenting languages and following the subtitles and having trouble understanding - I don't like when someone tries to make it "easier" by dubbing - that just makes it boring.

vftf1

As an interesting sidenote, the actor who plays Isamu is the dad from Malcolm in the Middle. You would think he'd be terrible, but he does a very good job.

Thanks for the headsup on that fact, I didn't know. Time to drag out my M+ and Earth to the Moon DVD for a voice comparison.

:unsure: Why do I always click links before reading? :unsure:

Ugh, yeah. I put this up there with that one about two girls and a cup. :ph34r:

How did they keep a straight face while recording this? This was seriously the best they could do? Just atrocious, awful awful, painfully bad "music". All copies should be burned, and Reba West banned from being within 50 ft of a microphone for the rest of her natural life for that afront to good taste.

You're absolutely right, I completely forget there were English credits on the R2! :)

I just checked and my ear didn't fail me, Anne Sherman did reprise the role of Sharon for this release. And, according to the credits, she's the only holdover from the original English cast, the rest are all new.

And here's another bit of trivia: David Hayter is credited as a VA on the R2 English dub. Unfortunately it doesn't list which character he voiced, but it sounds like he was Isamu in this version.

OK, where do I access this "dub" on the R2 remaster?

Pictures please if possible...

Ugh, yeah. I put this up there with that one about two girls and a cup. :ph34r:

How did they keep a straight face while recording this? This was seriously the best they could do? Just atrocious, awful awful, painfully bad "music". All copies should be burned, and Reba West banned from being within 50 ft of a microphone for the rest of her natural life for that afront to good taste.

I'm just surprised some said "Yeah. Thats up to broadcast standards. Air it!"

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

And here's another bit of trivia: David Hayter is credited as a VA on the R2 English dub.

I already said that in my first post! Good ear, but with the eyes, not so much, eh? Peh, couldn't even see the credits..... Just kidding. ^_^

And yeah, this is on the original DVD releases, pre-remaster. No idea if the recent new releases include it. Why wouldn't they, though? :unsure: er..

Edited by Renato

• 3 weeks later...
Ah, almot forgot about the whole 4th episode fiasco. Supposedly manga couldn't get ahold of the sound materials. Though the Japanese "international edition" managed to put that dub with the proper BGM & SFX. One more major strike against the dub.

Never heard that before. That explains why the music was so different from the movie version when i watch 4 the other night. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever saw the whole OAV subbed. the music is way better in the sub. Especially for the whole "truth is revealed" sequence.

The dubs not bad. I liked it back in the day, but vastly prefer the sub. Though it suffers from the usual shoddy mixing and atrocious use of WordFit "Why are...You doing this?". The worse thing about it was the altering of Myung's line about wanting to kill Isamu in part 4. I never understood Sharon's motives until I saw it in Japanese.

At least it wasn't, "To Be in Love". ^_^

Anyone seen This is Otakudom? "Wanna see my Minmay impression?" "Oh dear God, No!" "......I'll take that as a yes."

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

How about this dub?

I dislike dubs, particularly when I can compare it to the Japanese version and tell there are discrepancies in scene performances. Macross Plus is one of the few dubs I think did a pretty good job, when compared to most other dubs. In particular, I found that Isamu and Guld's English dub voice actors got into the spirit of their prospective characters very well. I didn't like Myung's voice actress. Her voice grated on my ears too much, and I couldn't believe that she could have ever been a singer with a voice like that.

The addition of Isamu's squadron panicking during the firefight at the beginning of episode 1 dubbed seemed like a dumb addition. Everyone's screaming and yelling over the radios, having constant mechanical failures... WTF? Other than Isamu freaking out another pilot by shooting past him after stealing a kill, there was only the problem of a fellow pilot needing to be saved because his gunpod jammed and he froze up. The dub made Isamu's squadron look more like the NUNS pilots... :p:lol: