VF-1 in Top Gun?

Kamion

VF-1 is the numerical designation for an F-14 Tomcat Squadron of that time period. The Wolf Pack I think. All US Navy Fighter Squadrons had a VF number. Which is why they follow the same system in the TIAS:Macross Plus book for UN SPacy Fighter Squadrons, but they put an S at the start, (S for Spacy, or S for Space Im unsure.)

Thus you have squadrons such as SVF-33

VF-1 is the numerical designation for an F-14 Tomcat Squadron of that time period. The Wolf Pack I think. All US Navy Fighter Squadrons had a VF number. Which is why they follow the same system in the TIAS:Macross Plus book for UN SPacy Fighter Squadrons, but they put an S at the start, (S for Spacy, or S for Space Im unsure.)

Thus you have squadrons such as SVF-33

I see... S... Super? :)

What does the VF stand for then?

VF is how the Navy designates a fighter squadron. V I believe refers to heavier than air aircraft (non-helicopter); F means fighter. Helicopter squadrons start with "H" and airship squadrons start with "Z".

Here are a couple useful links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unite...craft_squadrons

http://navysite.de/terms-squads.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/squades.htm

Most complete description (in PDF, 114 kb): http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP16.PDF

Since that page didn't seem to have what "V" stood for, I'll post it here. "V" became the Navy/USMC designation for fixed wing aircraft. (They couldn't use "F" or "FW" because it would probably cause confusion, especially since "F" was already taken!) The other letters (again from the site) designated what type of A/C (i.e. F = Fighter, A = Attack).

VF-1 is the numerical designation for an F-14 Tomcat Squadron of that time period. The Wolf Pack I think.

Very true. Just FYI, the real VF-1 wasn't featured in "Top Gun." At least not its insignia. The insignia in the movie was from a propeller driven E-2 Hawkeye squadron!

Unfortunately, the real VF-1 Wolfpack flew into the sunset eleven years ago during the Drawdown of the nineties. :(

Edited by USMCBebop

Hello all,

According to "Janes, All the world's aircraft 1990-1992", under the Grumman Tomcat listing, it states that "V" normally stands for a Naval squadron when referring to a US military air squadron. "V" can also stand for variable when speaking about "swing-wing" aircraft (normally designated VG for variable geometry). The competition that the F-14 won January 15th, 1969 was called VFX, or Naval (V) Fighter (F) Experimental (X) competition.

Interesting trivia; did you gents know that the wing carry-through of the F-14 Tomcat is a one-piece electron beam-welded structure. (not kidding about the electron beam part, its on page 386 of the Jane's book I am typing this from).

I mention this because the beam weapons used by the Zentraedi and the SDF-1 are "converging electron-element beam cannons".

Makes me wonder how much the F-14 influenced the making of the SDF Macross TV series. B))

Considering Shoji Kawamori is such a real life jet fighter enthusiast, there may be something to this little tid bit. :lol:

The Jolly Roger aircraft changeover is old news, we have a post about it in the "other" section... complete with pictures.

The designation on Goose's helment is even stranger when you take into account that during that part of the movie, they were more likely from the VF-213 "Black Lions" (whilst Cougar and his RIO were operating out of the VF-114 "Fighting Aardvarks")

I won't go into my formula for how I figured this out here... if you REALLY wanna know, PM me and I'll explain it.

the VF-1 *did* get some screentime in the movie. There are one or two carrier shots on board the USS Ranger where the VF-1 tomcats can be seen. They also get screentime at NAS Miramar on the ground.

Edited by Skull Leader

Since that page didn't seem to have what "V" stood for, I'll post it here. "V" became the Navy/USMC designation for fixed wing aircraft. (They couldn't use "F" or "FW" because it would probably cause confusion, especially since "F" was already taken!) The other letters (again from the site) designated what type of A/C (i.e. F = Fighter, A = Attack).

VF-1 is the numerical designation for an F-14 Tomcat Squadron of that time period. The Wolf Pack I think.

Very true. Just FYI, the real VF-1 wasn't featured in "Top Gun." At least not its insignia. The insignia in the movie was from a propeller driven E-2 Hawkeye squadron!

Unfortunately, the real VF-1 Wolfpack flew into the sunset eleven years ago during the Drawdown of the nineties. :(

Bingo.

the VF-1 *did* get some screentime in the movie. There are one or two carrier shots on board the USS Ranger where the VF-1 tomcats can be seen. They also get screentime at NAS Miramar on the ground.

Thanks, I forgot all about that. I don't remember them on the CV/CVN scenes though. I do however remember the Miramar flight scenes now that you've refreshed my memory. It was right before Maverick crashed his F-14.

The designation on Goose's helment is even stranger when you take into account that during that part of the movie, they were more likely from the VF-213 "Black Lions" (whilst Cougar and his RIO were operating out of the VF-114 "Fighting Aardvarks")

I won't go into my formula for how I figured this out here... if you REALLY wanna know, PM me and I'll explain it.

I can guess the Black Lion "formula." The first exterior scene of Mav and Goose's F-14 shows a modex (nose) number of "203." The Black Lions at the time were the 200 series for CVW-11 off the Enterprise and the styling (font) of number is consistent with the VF-213 A/C of the time (mid-80's).

Edited by USMCBebop

Thanks, I forgot all about that. I don't remember them on the CV/CVN scenes though. I do however remember the Miramar flight scenes now that you've refreshed my memory. It was right before Maverick crashed his F-14.

I can guess the Black Lion "formula." The first exterior scene of Mav and Goose's F-14 shows a modex (nose) number of "203." The Black Lions at the time were the 200 series for CVW-11 off the Enterprise and the styling (font) of number is consistent with the VF-213 A/C of the time (mid-80's).

you figured me out.... :)

and as "Cougar" was ghostrider "one one seven", he would've had to have been a part of the "fighting aardvarks"

Well Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards might be the appropriate heights to play Hikaru and Roy Respectively, lol.

nah, because then Val Kilmer would be Max. :lol::p

Hey Val Kilmer wouldn't be a bad Max, and his WSO/RIO was kind of a big not so bright lumox, hmm its Kakizaki. Holy Shreg, that's it Top Gun copied its characters from Macross, lol. That would make Tom Skerrit's Character Breetai and Jeremy Iron's Kamjin. Obviously then Kelly Mcgillis is Misa and that blonde what's her face is CLaudia, obciously they made her white to cover up the conspiracy and not make it too obvious. Lol. man I crack myself up.

you figured me out.... :)

and as "Cougar" was ghostrider "one one seven", he would've had to have been a part of the "fighting aardvarks"

Another trivia, for most of the Miramar and Fallon scenes, the A/C were from VF-51 and VF-111 of CVW-15.

Sad to see the tomcat go out. Its amazing that all the modex numbers you guys are talking about the 100 series are now the modex of the Grim Reapers RAG Squadron but sadly as of Sept of this year VF-101 will be no more. As for VF-103 there already getting their hornets now. Seen a few of them up at Oceana when i was there. Ive seen the super hornets upclose and im not really all that impressed with them. I mean other than a wider profile and a few inches longer and lets not forget the square intakes theres nothing really super about it. I wonder how the guys on the carriers are handling that spray on absorbent material on the leading edges? :p

Sad to see the tomcat go out. Its amazing that all the modex numbers you guys are talking about the 100 series are now the modex of the Grim Reapers RAG Squadron but sadly as of Sept of this year VF-101 will be no more.

So who's going to be the east coast FRS for the Super Bug? No ne? Will VFA-122 be handling all Super Bug quals?

From what ive been told and please dont quote me on it that VFA-174 will be the new RAG Squadron but seeing how it isnt in writting yet it will more than likely change. <--- change almost as much as satanic markings on aircraft. Navy doesnt want them but what would VFA-103, VFA-2 have as an official mascot or insignia?

No more skulls..which in a way kinda sucks. I can see it now for the Jollys a nice pirate with a parrot. and for the Hunters i can see some guy chasing a prison inmate.. doesnt make sence but then again neither to pollitics :D

Sad to see the tomcat go out. Its amazing that all the modex numbers you guys are talking about the 100 series are now the modex of the Grim Reapers RAG Squadron but sadly as of Sept of this year VF-101 will be no more. As for VF-103 there already getting their hornets now. Seen a few of them up at Oceana when i was there. Ive seen the super hornets upclose and im not really all that impressed with them. I mean other than a wider profile and a few inches longer and lets not forget the square intakes theres nothing really super about it. I wonder how the guys on the carriers are handling that spray on absorbent material on the leading edges? :p

err, I could be wrong.. but modex numbers are generally issued by airwing, not the navy overall...

as in, at one point, there could've been multiple CAG tomcats out there with the modex number 100 or 200 (or 300, 400, etc)

I thought it was only the USAF that was "anti-satanic". The US Navy has plenty of squadrons with the EXACT same name that the USAF banned. And I know the USMC is fine with them, half their squadrons seem to have Hell or Devil in their name. :)

Of course, the USAF also no longer allows "gender specific" names and anything non-p.c, but still allows "Knight" to be used despite the fact that traditionally a true knight must be a right-handed Christian male...

From what ive been told and please dont quote me on it that VFA-174 will be the new RAG Squadron but seeing how it isnt in writting yet it will more than likely change. <--- change almost as much as satanic markings on aircraft. Navy doesnt want them but what would VFA-103, VFA-2 have as an official mascot or insignia?

No more skulls..which in a way kinda sucks. I can see it now for the Jollys a nice pirate with a parrot. and for the Hunters i can see some guy chasing a prison inmate.. doesnt make sence but then again neither to pollitics :D

You gotta be kidding me! Don't tell me this is another Political Correctness issue like it was for the Playboy bunny being painted on VX-4 F-14s and one of the Marine VMAQ squadrons :angry: .

wasn't the aircraft carrier used in this movie the "nimitz" or at least some of the stock footage of her? i heard kawamori visited & spent time on the nimitz studying the tomcats & watching how they moved to get background info for the valks.jolly-roger squad was serving on her at that time,so hence our roy valk's appearance.only makes sense that he probably saw the vf-1 on 1 of the pilots helmets & decided to use it too :)

wasn't the aircraft carrier used in this movie the "nimitz" or at least some of the stock footage of her? i heard kawamori visited & spent time on the nimitz studying the tomcats & watching how they moved to get background info for the valks.jolly-roger squad was serving on her at that time,so hence our roy valk's appearance.only makes sense that he probably saw the vf-1 on 1 of the pilots helmets & decided to use it too :)

if you see a cvn-68 or 68 anywhere on it then yep

Nah....Nimitz never had VF-1 Wolfpack stationed aboard her during that period. Only VF-84 and VF-41 were embarked.

what year was topgun in? my 1988-1989 cruise book of uss nimitz only showsvf-211 and vf-24 for the f-14 squads assign for that time.

my dad took me to see topgun in the theaters in '84.i think that was the hey-day of jollyroger squad & nimitz.i know i saw stock footage of jollyroger tomcats launching in that movie.......i think :huh:

Edited by valkyrietestpilot