Casshan live action!

Edgar

The "romaji" spelling differs, but this is an old anime series from the same people that brought us Gatchaman, Speed Racer, and Hurricane Polymer. I've seen it spelled "Casshan" but the website implies "Casshern"... anyway, I just happened on it. Looks neat :) ...LIVE ACTION!!!

http://www.casshern.com/

...click on "trailers" then on the format of choice (quicktime, windows media,...)

:o oh sonavamonkey-itch, that trailer is by far one of THE best trailers I've seen since........oh god I don't know since movies were good!

They revamped the Casshan design too, instead of having that lil helmet and V shape horn infront, it's just his hair and his face covered by the traditional looking face mask which just pops out like the anime did.

What also caught me by the surprise is the fact there does not seem to be a Machine King, it looks like some guy who could possibly be just another Android.

Also those battle androids seem to be redesigned a bit too but totally reconizable which is a plus. I hope to god there is either an official release or a fansubbed version. I mean hell they gotta be done with the movie if a 2 minute trailer is already released and maybe working on some retouching to give it a more pazas. George Lucas, kiss mah ass! CASSHARN IS KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR!

I've NEVER seen an episode of Casshan but this live action version looks simply amazing.  :D

Can any MW'ers recommend a good website where I can find more info about this anime?  :blink:

This doesn't answer your question...but you can find the movie I believe at SunCoast and Best Buy. Good movie imo. Tis one of my favs.

And of course this movie has to be made in Japan.... So if they do bring it over to the States, they'll have crappy....crappy dubs. Ugh. If they do bring it to the States...I hope they bring it over here as a foreign film, with no dubbing!

Edited by Oihan

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder when they`ll start making a Mazinger-Z, Getter Robo or Grendaizer live action movie since the Japanese SFX are getting better  :p

Aren't they making a live action Tetsujin movie?

Edited by GobotFool

I wonder when they`ll start making a Mazinger-Z, Getter Robo or Grendaizer live action movie since the Japanese SFX are getting better  :p

Aren't they making a live action Tetsujin movie?

I think you're right. I've seen a couple of stills from it, but other than that I don't have any info on it though.

• 2 weeks later...
Japan gets this awesome looking film and we get I freakin' Robot. :rolleyes:

BTW, that Casshan figure in Takara's Microman line looks fan-damn-tastic!

No, we get "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" which also looks freakin' amazing, just in a slightly different way.

I picked up the original Casshan OAV's today at Bestbuy, maaaannnnnnnnn am I glad it came with the japanese audio track, I switched from english to japanese faster than a poor man on crack...it was SO BAD but I don't like the japanese voices that much...I hate it when they keep calling Black King, "Black King Boss!"....ugh...

Oh yeah on another note, if I understand it right, the movie comes out next month...so I wonder if a fansub will be available...

Edited by Hikuro

• 1 month later...

Hey the movie starts today in theaters, sadly NONE OF US can see it since we don't live in Japan, another draw back huh? Maybe we should all just find jobs there pitch in savings and find a tiny lil apartment about 5 mats length and 4 mats wide :p

I really do hope someone has recorded the movie and give it to an american friend to subtitle it and distribute it all around the web :D CAUSE I REALLY WANNA WATCH THIS!

Hey the movie starts today in theaters, sadly NONE OF US can see it since we don't live in Japan, another draw back huh?  Maybe we should all just find jobs there pitch in savings and find a tiny lil apartment about 5 mats length and 4 mats wide :p

I really do hope someone has recorded the movie and give it to an american friend to subtitle it and distribute it all around the web :D CAUSE I REALLY WANNA WATCH THIS!

my boss who is japanese told me this

From what I can gather, you have a premiere date of 4/19 in Japan.

8 more days for general release (again, Japan).

US release will likely be by way of DVD or specialized release

Edited by Ali Sama

Right if they did come to a US release it would be another year before it would even reach dvd intead of theaters, next would be some group dubbing the movie and probably even replacing the music and editing it here and there to their own liking.

I'd rather see someone record it in the theaters and sub it like we do with popular movies like the matrix or what not.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, looks like the movie will get a domestic release.

Dreamworks Acquires Casshern (2004-10-28 12:46:38)

Dreamworks has announced that it has acquired the rights to the Casshern live-action movie that was based on the 1973 Robot Hunter Casshan anime series. Casshern is the first film from Kazuaki Kiriya, the husband of Jpop idol Hikaru Utada. The film premiered on April 24th in Japan and spent several weeks in the Japanese box office top 10, although it never reached the top 3. Source: Hollywood Reporter

I got the dvd a couple of days ago. The movie is terrible.

There are so many things wrong with it that it's just easier to list the things they got right - the music and.. well, it certainly looks like it was an expensive production.

That's it.

Do NOT take the trailer as an example of what the movie will be like as it is incredibly deceptive (that description on cdjapan is also wrong).

Think it's going to be an action packed special effects showcase? Nope.

The movie is 141 minutes long. The action scequences (of which there are about three) probably make up not more than 8-10 of those minutes, tops.

The rest is one of the most tedious, incoherent and painful to watch movies I've seen in recent times.

Plot holes galore, nonsensical subplots and twists, weak action, no character depth and absolutely no fun factor. It just bluntly hammers and hammers away at a theme which we've all seen and heard before.

1/5.

• 3 months later...

GREAT NEWS! I managed to find a Bit Torrent file for Casshern and its even got Subtitles! its almost a 2 gig download but if the subtitles are atleast understandable I'll let ya guys know!

If you wanna give it a try anyways before my big review of how the movie is now with some subs just gimme a PM and I'll give you the low down of how I found the movie.

I wanted to enjoy this movie but came away disappointed. The plot itself is actually a noble one, but the STORYTELLING is startlingly bad, as was the hamfisted acting for the "rock posse" neo-humanoids. Lots of unintended audience laughter during the screening I was at - a sure sign of misdirected, over-emoted scenes. Because this is live-action, I found it extra hard to empathise with the cast who basically had less going for them than some of Oshii's self-philosophising cyborgs.