Been Watching Macross 7 And Lovin' It!

SpacyAce2012

I've been watching Macross 7 here of late. Despite the fact it's Japanese language only and can only understand part of what they are saying, I have been enjoying it. I like the characters. Basara and Mylene's songs I've heard so far are awesome. The animation isn't top-notch like DYRL, Plus, or Zero, but it's not too bad either.

Therefore, I can't understand the near-pathological hate that some of my fellow Macross purists have for the show. Sure, it's different. Singing fighter pilots take some getting used to, but in war you use any advantage you have against the enemy(even if it's off the wall). So, that plot angle isn't too outlandish.

Basara's "Fire Valkyrie" variant does look like a damn Transformer. One of my few gripes about the series so far.

Basara's singing isn't as terrible as some have related to me in the past. It's just plain ol' Rock music, as opposed to the J-POP girl idol singer. Hell, "Planet Dance" and Mylene's "My Friends" now rank among my favorite Macross tunes.

I'm still working gathering my collection and watching them as I go along. I may find something else I dislike. But so far, so good.

I was just curious about other forum members' thoughts on the show. Do you like it? Hate it? Or, somewhere in between?

Well if you looked around using the search function you'd see just how many actually hate and how little actualy "like" M7. It's become one of those topics like Flasback2012, if you wanna talk about it, be warned of flamers and such, they hit hard and fast before you even know it.

I'm one of those who likes M7, I don't mind it at all, but its like saying I like .Hack, but the sequal DUSK or Key of the Twilight was too childish like. The same can be said about M7, it tends to get far too carefree and doesn't initiate as much drama as the original Macross series produced.

I don't mind the music, but the BGM is rehashed M+ and M2, the only thing original is Fire Bomber, Alice Holiday etc, all their songs are for Macross 7......its too bad really.

I was just curious about other forum members' thoughts on the show. Do you like it? Hate it? Or, somewhere in between?

366031[/snapback]

LOL I live for these threads.

I HATE Macross7 enough to actually murder someone over it.

My reasons:

1. ENCOURAGING WEAKNESS IN CHILDREN

The trend since we were kids has been one of featuring heroes (if I must call them that) who are just worthless weaklings who promote taking the easy way out, M7 is one of the worst on this issue. Plot-line is unrealistic and peace and dancing while holding hands is ALWAYS the way things end, which is teaching a lesson of fantasy, NOT reality No one is ever confrontational, there is no real problem solving, and everything is a compromise, as much as we would like to believe that is a real reflection on life, it isn't Nothing in life is a compromise; there are those who take, and those who get ripped off, that's life.

2. TARGETED AT LITTLE KIDS

I have had many arguments with MW members on this point, but it is pretty obvious that M7 wasn't made for us old Macross fans. In fact quite the opposite, most of the older guys around here are enraged by M7. No, M7 was made for a younger generation, it was made to bring a new Macross fans in, but if it did or not, it managed to make me and others like me embarrassed to be Macross fans.

3. STUPID DESIGNS, MACHINES WITH BOOBS AND FACES

The designs are so retarded I could scream. I mean seriously, the teenage girl gets a pink fighter plane with boobs. Some of the other fighters have actual faces. What the fu(k? If this show were called "Fruits in Space" or something, I guess I could handle this, but its called Macross. A show that gets affiliated with DYRL, and the machines with faces and boobs have no place next to a work of art like DYRL.

4. STUPID DESIGNS, CLOTHING, NAMES, AND COLOR CHOICES

They took the bad ass of bad asses.. Max, and they made him wear a dress. So unbelievably lame. They made the main squadron of the show, whose job was to dance and sing in space in a RAINBOW or colors. They named a squadron "Pink Pecker." This one makes me want to just rip M7 fan's teeth out with a rusty pair of pliers. God I swear Kawamori hates old school Macross fans.

5. REDICULOUS ENEMIES

The "bad guys" in this show were just clowns. Totally stupid dialogue, with characters that looked like some kind of cross-dressing costume pride parade winners. I mean there is absolutely nothing to fear about these guys, they are laughable 100% of the time. Combined with their lame appearance and lame dialogue, their mission is to suck song energy from humans.. How sinister.

Well if you looked around using the search function you'd see just how many actually hate and how little actualy "like" M7.  It's become one of those topics like Flasback2012, if you wanna talk about it, be warned of flamers and such, they hit hard and fast before you even know it.

366045[/snapback]

People hate Flashback 2012? :o

366045[/snapback]

People hate Flashback 2012?  :o

366050[/snapback]

Really? FB2012 was just one helluva long anime music video. C'mon, it's got the VF-4 in it. Misa looks hotter than ever. What's so bad?

HATE AGAINST FB2012 IS NOT ALLOWED AND SHOULD BE A BANNABLE OFFENCE!

For the sake of the thread, I've never seen M7, but from all the strange reviews I've been seeing, it looks like a love-it-or-hate-it series, much like Evangelion.

Now I've opened up a can of worms. (And for the sake of the Eva discussion, I loved episodes 1 up to 23 or 24 where Shinji kills the last Angel, but ONLY up to that point).

BACK TO M7 DISCUSSION NOW.

Flashback is pure fluff. There is NO content in it. At ALL.

It's PRETTY fluff in places, but...

I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like it either.

And if you look, the vast majority of the anti-Mac7 posts are the same handful of people, over and over again. The polls that have been started show it as having a LOT less hatred than thread content would indicate.

It is the only thing I agree with Agent One on...

The way he presents the argument isn't how I would go about it, but the general thrust of his feelings are my own. I imagine M7 has just as many "silent haters" on this board as "silent fans."

And if memory serves me correctly, the two polls did indicate that most members who bothered voting were in the "don't like M7." It wasn't an overwhelming majority like 75-25, but it was more than 50.

366031[/snapback]

LOL I live for these threads.

I HATE Macross7 enough to actually murder someone over it.

My reasons:

1. ENCOURAGING WEAKNESS IN CHILDREN

2. TARGETED AT LITTLE KIDS

3. STUPID DESIGNS, MACHINES WITH BOOBS AND FACES

4. STUPID DESIGNS, CLOTHING, NAMES, AND COLOR CHOICES

5. RIDICULOUS ENEMIES

366049[/snapback]

The Agent hit the mark with his post. Also, I don't think I've ever laughed this hard in quite a while...

I could wait till morning but that would just be a waste of time, and we have plenty of other threads still open (Next time, please use the search button before you start another topic, it's the easiest thing in the world to use).

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=16603

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=16084

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=16027