Hikaru's "notorious first kill"

ewilen

Egan Loo mentions Hikaru's "notorious first kill" in the liner notes without further explanation, but implies it's yet another in-joke, along with Kawamori's appearance in the crowd and the names on buildings destroyed by Hikaru's VF-1D. In slow-mo, you can see a man being blasted by the VF-1D battroid's feet as it crashes through the last building. Is that supposed to be Kawamori again, or someone else?

I imagine it's either just a random person, or perhaps an employee of either Artland, Studio Nue, or Tatsunoko. As for it being "Hikaru's notorious first kill", well, simply the fact that some poor slob get's blasted by Hikaru's thrusters as the VF-1D crashes into the studio, and the fact that it's only onscreen for a split second, easy to miss, make it an easter egg of sorts.

The funniest thing about this scene is when he crashes through the Studio Nue building. Pay close attention to the little critter on the side of the building. It is smiling at first, and as the Battroid crashes through, it turns to a grimace.

Here's a little animation I threw together from Robocrap, so yes, you can see the unfortunate demise of Studio Nue. Now, technically, the poor bastard on the ground doesnt get smashed, it more looks like he gets blown away by a blast from the foot. So, theoretically, he could have just been sent flying, and lived, yeah right <_ .>

Anyway, here's the animation:

hikarudeath.gif

Yeah, he's probably dead. Hell, Hikaru was lucky he didn't kill Minmei.

Edited by Anubis

Hell, Hikaru was lucky he didn't kill Minmei.

Or are we UNlucky that Hikaru didn't kill Minmay? :D

True we may have been spare some annoyance, but who then would have sung at the end?

If anything, the question is why did he bring Kaifun to the ship instead of telling him to get bent on the spot.

The blue thing on the wall is damn funny though.

I just watched that part last night (I decided to rewatch Macross) and it looks like that guy just gets blown away, as in the thrust from the engines push him back. I think he lives :)

I just watched that part last night (I decided to rewatch Macross) and it looks like that guy just gets blown away, as in the thrust from the engines push him back. I think he lives :)

Well...you see...have you ever stood a couple feet behind a jet engine that was on at full blast? Have you ever talked to anyone after they did? No, no you didn't. There's a very good reason for this. Savvy?

Looking at the animated gif, I see that the guy is indeed carrying a bag stuffed with papers, but I don't think he's a mailman. I'll bet he's an artist or designer who works at whatever place is named on the building. Unfortunately, the name is blurred in the gif and I can't quite make out the whole thing. Will have another look at the DVD.

I mean I think it was just the exaust pushing him back. None of the... flames, I guess they are, hit him. The air being pushed by the thrust blew the guy away, I guess is another way of putting it. It's just a gust from it, combined with the force the Valk's impact made, pushed him back.

Well...you see...have you ever stood a couple feet behind a jet engine that was on at full blast? Have you ever talked to anyone after they did? No, no you didn't. There's a very good reason for this. Savvy?

Once heard a nice stoy of a guy who got sucked into the intake of an F-16...

He lived (got stuck before the fan), but when they pulled him out the only thing he still had on his body were his shoes

goes to show what just air can do

The first three buildings destroyed are Anime Friends (you can only see the "A" and "Friends"), ArtLand, and Studio (Chimera) Nue. (Nue = some kind of mythological creature, according to the liner notes, thus the "Chimera".) The last building, where the guy gets blown away/knocked over, seems to say "Privacy Box" when I view it in super-slo-mo.

But who knows what Privacy Box is? I don't.

A privacy Box in Japan is basically... um... how to put this nicely where to get a 30 min quicky. They are usually situated in business areas (and are un-offically sanctioned by the Japanese Goverment) as an area to get rid of un-wanted stress. Less stress..less suicide..higher production. Alot of companies even paid for the services provided there for thier employees. They are less common nopw and have been replaced with High-Class Hostess bars.

They also had interesting names such as Fairy Box, Heaven, Utopia, Xanadue ect.

This is just from knowlege..not actual experience...NO GAIJINS ALLOWED. ;)

Rob

Edit: for spelling

Edited by Monkey-N

The funniest thing about this scene is when he crashes through the Studio Nue building.  Pay close attention to the little critter on the side of the building.  It is smiling at first, and as the Battroid crashes through, it turns to a grimace.

Here's a little animation I threw together from Robocrap, so yes, you can see the unfortunate demise of Studio Nue.  Now, technically, the poor bastard on the ground doesnt get smashed, it more looks like he gets blown away by a blast from the foot.  So, theoretically, he could have just been sent flying, and lived, yeah right <_< .

Anyway, here's the animation:

hikarudeath.gif

I've seen the blue creature face turn from from a smile to a horrible grimace knowing its about to get swatted on (Ugh) Robotech considering they did a how lot of unnessesary editing especially now that I have seen that poor guy get blown away(Chuckles) but he didn't get fried in the end, the editing wasn't all that nessesary. Leave it up to American Censorship getting out f hand.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet