Pity on this film if it really is as bad as they say, it has awesome visuals and I would have seen it in Imax.

Which would only encourage them to continue to make soulless films while overcharging you to see it in IMAX 3D. This is why there is so much crap in the theaters these days.

Bound was a good mob thriller even though with the way a lot of people have changed their views on homosexuality in the last ten or fifteen years its twist doesn't pack the punch it once did.

I think the only thing Bound has lost because of the positive progress of homosexual rights is being topical. I recently rewatched the film with a new group of friends (mostly younger crowd + one viewer my own age) and everyone really took to it, one commenting that he was so grateful for seeing it but couldn't believe he'd never heard of this film. In my experience it still seems to play well story-wise and seems to hold the attention of the younger generation well. Any novelty it's lost as

"a thriller starring lesbians"

seems to have morphed into "a good thriller".

Actually, one thing Bound does very well even by today's standard is accurately portraying the equality that many gay couples enjoy. Those two characters in the film are portrayed as equals and complementaries, neither dominating the other despite their distinctly different personalities, something reaffirmed by the closing dialog of the film. Nearly all our entertainment is about straight people and often it shows the gender roles in horribly dated ways that end up depicting women poorly. Now that gay characters are growing significantly across both mainstream and independent media, there's been talk in film circles that they may be abused. Much in the same way straight men have been backwardly writing straight women in film/TV for decades, it's been said gay characters are vulnerable to being written by straight folks who have the erroneous tendency to impose an already outdated male/female gender role depiction. Bound may sadly stand as a high benchmark for such well written characters. Here's hoping the future is brighter than that :)

Heh, apparently Harry liked it. But he likes anything :rolleyes:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/70261

I'm amazed his site is still running. It about went bust a year or two ago. And he doesn't like anything; he's a kiss-ass, and likes whatever gets him in the good graces of the Hollywood elite. He's a fat frakkin' phony.

After that opening weekend perhaps it should be called "Jupiter Descending"

I watched that Sinbad movie instead, at least it cost a quarter of what two IMAX tickets would cost.

Netflix rental coming up.

I think this was expected. The rumor mill has it the Wachowskis may have to look at making another Matrix film if they want to make money again. Even though the last film sucked I would still love to see a new Matrix movie, it just needs a good story.

I think this was expected. The rumor mill has it the Wachowskis may have to look at making another Matrix film if they want to make money again. Even though the last film sucked I would still love to see a new Matrix movie, it just needs a good story.

I think it is too late for that. The third movie did in any remaining goodwill left over from the first one.

• 4 weeks later...

All film reviewers are internet reviewers. It's 2015, not 1995 (or even 2005).

And that's the problem. They are all a bunch of absolute hacks with no concept of how to review or even how to write.

And that's the problem. They are all a bunch of absolute hacks with no concept of how to review or even how to write.

Note to Technoblue: this is what hyperbole actually looks like.

So, Taks, what you are saying is all journalists today are a bunch of absolute hacks with no concept how to write?

The breadth and talent of those writing/reviewing/commenting about film has never been better than it is in our current era. Younger reviewers actually understand the impact of technology, the internet and video games on the medium of film and don't suffer a snobby self-righteousness against our modern media era. The current generation also have a healthy intolerance for the Oscar's agenda for elevating dramatic mediocrity, a growing cultural attitude I have been only too happy to welcome for decades.

IMO, too many folks watch shouting YouTubers complain online and think it's insightful because these talking heads behave just like their "angry fan" audience. I'd suggest spending a little effort finding the right folks to watch and read. I know "anger" and "outrage" are popular online these days, but the best film review content is upbeat, not an echo chamber for geek culture.

Edited by Mr March

I have not seen a good movie review since the days of Siskel and Ebert, if that makes me an old fart then so be it.

Do remember that they were far from infalible; they gave Blade Runner a thumbs down.

Also, it's important to note Ebert was the first mainstream reviewer to embrace the internetm and set the standard for all who followed. And there are plenty of good movie reviews out there.

Edited by Duke Togo

What made Ebert such a great cultural critic was precisely his humble re-evaluation of his past opinions, his open-mindedness to see the good in even the worst films and willingness to adapt to the new media landscape, as Duke pointed out. Ebert embraced the internet and even defended rap music. Yet Ebert was only human and his luddite attitude toward video gaming was wanting. Still in spite of his flaws, Ebert was never some grouchy old man who spoke for the culturally obsolete. That wasn't Ebert and does no honor to who he was. If "get-off-my-lawn" is the conversation, Ebert's memory has no place in such discussion.

I know the MW forums too well to post good film blogs and websites just so the trolls can rip them apart to "win the argument", but if anyone is interested I be more than happy to share the great places of film goodness I frequent online via PM. You can also scour my post history for my posts in film topics and you'll discover links to some of my film-based stomping grounds :)

Do remember that they were far from infalible; they gave Blade Runner a thumbs down.

Also, it's important to note Ebert was the first mainstream reviewer to embrace the internetm and set the standard for all who followed. And there are plenty of good movie reviews out there.

Yes they were but even when they did not like a film *I* knew if I would like it from watching their review.

• 2 months later...

I just watched this movie on the plane back from Japan, nice effects, some interesting concept about harvesting. Some moments reminded me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Things I didn't like:

Wasn't a fan of the boots, looked like he was rollerblading in the sky. Might have been better if it was portrayed likethe thrusters on a Valk's feet.

Then there was the talk about the wolf and vampires......Sci-fi version of Twilight?