The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

That green and the yellow eyes are great B))

^^I saw the review on the KO V2 mold and it's pretty impressive. It has a ton more paint apps than the Takara. The only bad thing are those hands...

I put the matrix in and forgot to close the doors all the way. You kinda have to snap it closed. Never noticed a huge chest gap other than that though.

The KO looks pretty good... they mostly did pretty minor things that Takara couldn't afford to do, or didn't want to do. Covering a screw hole, painting an area here or there. Its like a mildly customized one with a few "duh" fixes. The huge gaps in the arms of the KO, and the overall "airbrushed" look doesn't cut it for me though. It also seems to have gaps and spaces in Alt mode. I think Rocketpunch mention having to lube the legs to make it transform too?

I think it's cool if you want a spare one or if the extra silver paint gets you, but I don't see any major improvements besides the hands, but the hands suck on just about all MPs. I can get a hands upgrade set if it ever bothers me that much.

If I was going to spend $150 bucks though I'd get a 10b or something.

Edited by Gakken85

Idk, there are tons of areas on all the MPs that could do with more detailed paint. The inside of Grimlocks wings. Heck you could add a lot more detail to Yamato Valks.

When you factor out the costs of design and mould creation, it's pretty easy to go back over somebodies work and paint up a few hundred for a tidy profit. haha.

I don't see how the original MP-10 is "sad" because of this.

MP-10 is a great toy. If it was possible, I would get one copy of all the official repaints. Some are out of my reach, though (Green Lantern Bape). I hope to learn to make my own customs soon, because that will help with my Macross and Transformers nitpicks.

This KO is clever and I think Takara could take the MP-10 mold in a similar direction if they really wanted to.

Hehe. I would buy it too. :)

Edited by technoblue

Guest davidwhangchoi

Idk, there are tons of areas on all the MPs that could do with more detailed paint. The inside of Grimlocks wings. Heck you could add a lot more detail to Yamato Valks.

When you factor out the costs of design and mould creation, it's pretty easy to go back over somebodies work and paint up a few hundred for a tidy profit. haha.

+1

If Takara doesn't reissue the MP-10 with trailer, that KO is right up my alley. It looks better to me in bot mode except for the slightly gappy alt mode and the paint helps a lot. I only ever knowingly bought one KO in my life and that is the gold Lambor. I've got 10B but I'm missing an official Optimus :(

Edited by xrentonx

The KO is it's own mold. It's not as easy to see in the v2 video, but the KO stands taller than MP-10. The v1 video has a better comparison between the KO and MP-10. It isn't just a repaint.

I think third parties and KOs offer opportunities that HasTak is not interested in pursuing. Look at Omnigonix's not-Sunstreaker in the third-party thread. Having options is a good thing.

It's their own mould, that is pretty much an identical copy of the Tak mould. It's like the larger Grimlock KO that's being made. They made it a bit bigger, but the design is virtually identical. They didn't sit down from scratch and work out a unique transformation and articulation, which is where all the hard work exists.

I have no problem with KO's, per say, but adding paint doesn't = improvement on the mould.

To me this release is more like taking a Takara mould and attaching some 3rd party kits (Chest, Paint/stickers whatever, Leg changes) and then making a unique unit to sell. They are still working off the back of somebody else's work and trying to exploit a market niche for collectors who may want certain changes.

I want to call it a "hacked" version. It's not quite a KO, it's not quite a 3rd party or custom but it's a .....frankenPRIME! haha

If it works for you by all means by one. It's not like people haven't given Takara plenty of their money in the past haha.

It's smart, but it's still a rip off/knock off. It shows the passion people have for these toys.

Edited by Gakken85

It's smart, but it's still a rip off/knock off. It shows the passion people have for these toys.

Word. And I'm a sucker for Prime too.

On a totally different note, I picked up the Fanstyle poseable hands for my Nissan Fairlady trio. They really add a nice touch to these toys. I decided to replace Prowl's hands while fixing the tire that had some sloppy silver paint and a few scratches out of the box. The inside rim also needed work, so I had to remove the tire. I will say that the capped pin proved an...interesting...obstacle but I found a nice tutorial on YouTube.

Here it is in case anyone else needs the reference:

Edited by technoblue

On a totally different note, I picked up the Fanstyle poseable hands for my Nissan Fairlady trio. They really add a nice touch to these toys. I decided to replace Prowl's hands while fixing the tire that had some sloppy silver paint and a few scratches out of the box. The inside rim also needed work, so I had to remove the tire. I will say that the capped pin proved an...interesting...obstacle but I found a nice tutorial on YouTube.

Here it is in case anyone else needs the reference:

Nice find, technoblue! a while back, I was trying to find a way to remove the pin from MP-10 Roller wheels. This is very informative and easy to do. :)

My very first delivery nightmare:

I wasn't at home to refuse this one...

post-5492-0-77081300-1409006387_thumb.png

Sometimes good packaging can help with a rough trip, but not this time...

post-5492-0-83237900-1409006799_thumb.png

And this is why I always check inside. However, the damage was obvious for poor Screamer... :(

post-5492-0-74169400-1409006409_thumb.png

I have a service request in at Captured Prey. In the meantime, I'll find a better box for my return. Grr...

Your experience isn't helping me feel good about mine, technoblue.

Seeing the CP sticker on your box compelled me to check on my order, which was paid for all the way back on 6-7. To recap, I'd ordered a Mania King, and preordered the one of the new run of Hegemon, with an expected ship date of July.

When July came and went, I'd asked about Hegemon on Twitter, and they said there was a problem at the factory or something. OK, not their fault.

Now it's the end of summer, and I see Hegemon is listed as in stock. (Mania King, BTW, isn't even listed on their site anymore, so I hope to Primus they remembered to put one aside for me since they took my freaking money for it almost three freaking months ago.) I haven't gotten any emails about them shipping, though, and my order status is still sitting at "Paid, pending preorder item" on their website.

Guest davidwhangchoi

The right vertical stabilizer is crushed. I didn't open the plastic clam shell, so there could be more damage.

Edit: I've added a better angle of the damage that I can see below without opening the plastic.

attachicon.gifbroken_stabilizer.png

sorry to hear about that. i hope they take care of you.

Heh. Yeah.

I worked for the post office in college. Even "gentle" transportation of packages can get rough. It annoys me to NO end when a company advertises professional packaging and then cheaps out with padding and tape. Starscream's shipping box only had two seams sealed with tape. The padding was single layer bubble wrap on the bottom and some paper wrap that wasn't even tucked in properly for the rest of the box. It's no wonder it arrived in any shape other than flat. :o

I also question the use of Parcel Select. Priority Mail comes with free insurance, but the free shipping option is actually this crappy Parcel Select service where you get to wait longer and risk more if some postal worker is having a bad day.

On top of it all, I noticed this:

We pack your items in sturdy boxes and with sufficient protection to survive shipment. However, on occasion, a package may be abused more than the reasonable and customary amount that is expected during shipping. We cannot be held responsible for damages that occur to items in uninsured packages during shipping. If you have a mail carrier or facility which you know treats your packages in an exceptionally poor manner, please consider insurance coverage for the order.

I never had a problem with my post office, but it seems like CP is ready to obsolve itself of all responsibility...

Your experience isn't helping me feel good about mine, technoblue.

That is messed up. Now I'm worried if I'll get a response. LoL! But I am ready to join your anti-CP club, Mike.

Edited by technoblue

People seem to like CP, but I read that they have problems getting orders in time.

But yeah this is common sense for a collectors store. You have to protect that item until it's in their hands or you're losing business.

Edited by Gakken85

technoblue, I feel your pain for MP Starscream, if that were to happen to me I wouldn't know what I would've done. I've ordered a few items from them before, luckily all my items arrived safe and sound. But i have to agree, they need to put more cushion (like newspaper, it's cheap but effective) to protect the item(s) inside the shipping box. I don't order stuff from them anymore, because they don't offer free shipping like other U.S. websites.

Back to MP news: I think the face of MP Saber looks a lot like Mr. Yuki himself, don't you agree Gakken? :p

Edited by Valkyrie2008

Back to MP news: I think the face of MP Saber looks a lot like Mr. Yuki himself, don't you agree Gakken? :p

Truly. Sorry about my rant/interruption to the normal thread.

AAaaND, getting back to the lighter side: Jackie! If the reported date holds, it will be a good day, indeed. :)

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/masterpiece-wheeljack-releasing-on-10-september-181036/

Truly. Sorry about my rant/interruption to the normal thread.

AAaaND, getting back to the lighter side: Jackie! If the reported date holds, it will be a good day, indeed. :)

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/masterpiece-wheeljack-releasing-on-10-september-181036/

Hey, it's good to share your experience regarding the merchant and express your thoughts. ;)

MP Jackie is to be release in two weeks, that's great. I usually preorder MP toys with friends to save on shipping. :p

Edited by Valkyrie2008