Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

- Review by peaugh

I like how it looks it both modes, but that transformation from his waist up looks like it will border on 'ordeal' when going back to truck mode - especially after leaving him in bot mode for a couple of months and then trying to go back. I'll most likely buy one, but to be honest the recent Knight Morpher Commander tickles me more than this guy. Looking forward to seeing Bumblebee.

::edited for grammatological reasons::

Edited by eriku

Stealing toys is sweeeeeeeet! :rolleyes:

Heh, he does seem to get...EVERYTHING early, doesn't he? I'm curious what his source is. I know a lot of stuff pops up on eBay early, but that doesn't seem to be where he gets it. It's obviously stuff stolen from the factory, but it's interesting that he seems to have such a secure and steady source.

Heh, he does seem to get...EVERYTHING early, doesn't he? I'm curious what his source is. I know a lot of stuff pops up on eBay early, but that doesn't seem to be where he gets it. It's obviously stuff stolen from the factory, but it's interesting that he seems to have such a secure and steady source.

I think he works with that crook Mike (GenZhao) who lives in China and gets the toys off the factory line and has a whole sh!tcloud around him. I think that's where Frenzy_Rumble gets them from as well, so he can quick throw a wash and drybrush on them and get them on ebay before they are released so he can make a fortune off the suckers. I really tend to avoid TFW2005 and all their drama at this point because alot their community sucks. It bums me out tho, because there are some good guys still, and I've gotten a ton of good deals on vintage stuff there.

We still really need to know the colors of the add-on parts, to know how/if they'll match other versions of the mold. (since many people like me bought Energon Bruticus, not the later ROTF re-paint)

I think more of a "dark bronze" blade would work better for Blastoff, seeing as how he's classic G1 brown. A silver blade means a silver tailfin in vehicle mode, which'll look weird. But dark bronze would still give a "metal blade" vibe.

Man, I was really liking choo-choo Prime until I noticed that the ankle plates were mis-matched. To be more precise, The right ankle piece on the right leg was a left ankle piece that was flipped upside down. I should be able to get an exchange, but it's still a bother. Despite this, steampunk Prime looks to be an ace toy. My only worries deal with the cowcatcher pieces and the front wheels: in bot mode they could snap off if one's not too careful.

I'm sending my Choo Choo Prime back to the station. It looks fantastic, but mine suffers from:

- Ill-fitting leg halves that cause a big gap and keep the knee panel from staying on. I took apart the leg to fix it but the pieces themselves seem to be warped and no positioning or screw-tightening will fix it.

- The smokestack on one arm falls off. Easy to fix, but I really shouldn't have to.

- A cow-catcher joint stressed and turned white instantly when I moved it.

- Both elbows are so tight that you can feel the plastic give before any movement, and that's just dangerous.

- The silver cross on the shield is covered with smudges and discolorations

- The cannon track is immobile. It rotates, but it's supposed to slide the length of the trailer and wont budge. I was going to take it apart and see what the problem is, but reached the "aw f**k it!" point and didn't bother.

I asked BBTS if I could get a replacement because I really, really love the look of this toy, but the BBTS customer service person mentioned in their email the vast amounts of complaints they've recieved regarding this toy and offered me a full refund so I took them up on it. There are a lot of problems being reported with this thing, from broken pieces to missing parts to incorrect parts - the works. And that's not counting the people who decide to just live with the problems and not complain. With this many problems I have a feeling MMC will do a future run of the toy and attempt to make it better.

Edited by eriku

Saw color pics---FansProject neo-BlastOff looks awful in "not a shuttle" mode IMHO. Front half tan, back half gunmetal. WTF kind of scheme is that? (it does explain the silvery tail/sword though)

:blink:

Wow, that almost makes me want to reconsider buying him... First time Fansproject has disappointed me.

Yeah, I am SO waiting for a repaint--hopefully a 2nd version will both match the earlier Energon version, AND not look like they took two different shuttles and welded them together.

(this is why I never pre-order from uncolored samples)

I'm sending my Choo Choo Prime back to the station. It looks fantastic, but mine suffers from:

- Ill-fitting leg halves that cause a big gap and keep the knee panel from staying on. I took apart the leg to fix it but the pieces themselves seem to be warped and no positioning or screw-tightening will fix it.

- The smokestack on one arm falls off. Easy to fix, but I really shouldn't have to.

- A cow-catcher joint stressed and turned white instantly when I moved it.

- Both elbows are so tight that you can feel the plastic give before any movement, and that's just dangerous.

- The silver cross on the shield is covered with smudges and discolorations

- The cannon track is immobile. It rotates, but it's supposed to slide the length of the trailer and wont budge. I was going to take it apart and see what the problem is, but reached the "aw f**k it!" point and didn't bother.

I asked BBTS if I could get a replacement because I really, really love the look of this toy, but the BBTS customer service person mentioned in their email the vast amounts of complaints they've recieved regarding this toy and offered me a full refund so I took them up on it. There are a lot of problems being reported with this thing, from broken pieces to missing parts to incorrect parts - the works. And that's not counting the people who decide to just live with the problems and not complain. With this many problems I have a feeling MMC will do a future run of the toy and attempt to make it better.

Wow, this is a shame... our CDX review sample performed like a champ, and Dan loves it.

Those FansProject people are jaw-droppingly amazing. I first heard of them with their City Commander upgrade for Ultra Magnus and came thiiiis close to getting back into TF toys just for that upgrade alone. Then I found out they're planning on doing a Rodimus Prime upgrade and my jaw started loosening again. Also, BlastOff looks awesome, regardless of the colour scheme. :)

Yeah, the arm joints on mine are exceptionally tight also. They were so tight that it took me some time to figure out the elbows were double jointed. Another issue mine has deals with the small front wheels that swing upward on the hips. They're so loose that they easily pop outwards on their stems, leaving them out in the open to be snapped off. I don't even see why they have to pop outwards in the first place. I hope my replacement will be ok because I do really like Prime with a lance and shield. BTW, mine came with a small blue piece that sorta looks like a grated visor, but I can't figure out how it attaches.

As for the two-tone Blast-Off, maybe it's a tribute to G2's wacky colors?

BTW, mine came with a small blue piece that sorta looks like a grated visor, but I can't figure out how it attaches.

It's theoretically supposed to go on his face, but there isn't a really good way to attach it. Some people glue theirs on.

I don't even see why they have to pop outwards in the first place. I hope my replacement will be ok because I do really like Prime with a lance and shield. BTW, mine came with a small blue piece that sorta looks like a grated visor, but I can't figure out how it attaches.

Pssssst....

Here is my review on Dark Shyfire:

This review is about this figure:

http://www.tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/895/

Packaging: It is a B/W recolor of the Henkei Jetfire box

for the most part with the appropriate images of the figure

on it. Nothing to brag about but it looks decent.

Design:

>Robot Mode: This is the fourth time I have bought this

/mold, and frankly there are no surprises. Which is good

/because it is an awesome mould through and through.

/The new paint scheme is very nice and sinister looking.

/With some purple autobot symbols he would make an

/impressive "Dark Glass" Jetfire.

>>Weapons/Accessories: This figure has delivered in this

/department in spades once again. He has the same 'kit'

/as his predacessors and it still looks awesome on him.

/One thing of note; his shoulder guns have hinges instead

/of the breakaway tips which is an interesting change.

>A/M: Jet-fighter: It is an F-14 in swingwings only.

/The new deco shines pretty well here. I like the new

/detailing. it's very simple and effective. Beyond that

/nothing new to mention.

>A/M: Aerospace Fighter: Essentially the above alt-mode

/with all the wargear applied. It looks like a combat work

/horse as it should and with a little effort it is packing more

/heat than most transformers could dream of. This "Guntastic"

/quality of this design is one of it's finest points.

Quality: There is both good and bad to point out in this area.

put bluntly, the tooling is getting tired and the extra play in

some the joints brings this to the fore. It is an excellent toy

but it looks to be time to retire this mold before things get

ugly and disappointing.

Value: In my opinion this item was overpriced from the

start. The deco is really nice, but not "4X shelf price"

nice. If you have money to burn, by all means, but I would

not consign myself to eating Ramen for a month to get it

And this review is for "WARBOT: Defender (Aka: Classics Springer)

The review is regarding this fellah right here:

http://www.tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/984/

I got mine from the link above and he is on my desk as

I type this. Fan Productions kind of blew me away with

their "City Commander/Classics: Ultra Magnus" trailer

a while back but this is the first standalone figure and so

far in my opinion their best product to date.

Packaging: It is rare that I am surprised at how well an item

is packaged. This is one of those rare occasions. The

box is in a clear plastic carton and then the toy is entombed

is a clamshell sitting in a cardboard tray. The post would have

to get very deliberate to damage this product on it's way to you.

It doesn't hurt that also the box is very nicely designed and

printed.

Design:

>Robot Mode: In robot mode he evokes a good ballance

/of G1 "Toon" style and modernized Classics (Universe,Etc)

/look. He is broad shouldered and tough looking with out

/being a total brute. Sort of a well thought out blend of bulk,

/strength, and efficiency that a good soldier robot would need.

/The figure is very, very poseable and as some have noted is

/flexible enough to holster and draw his pistols. Which is one

/heckofa' feat. Speaking of pistols...

>>Weapons/Accessories: "The Defender" comes with the

/following armament: 2 pistols and his Sword/Rotor.

/The Sword is well executed with a chinese broadsword

/style blade(s). It is made of the same plastic as the tires and

/pistols which is a bit transluscent. A lot of folks are worried

/about how thin these pieces are and I can see where they

/are coming from. I have already concluded that mine will

/not be left displayed with his sword in hand just to be on the

/safe side. That said, it looks good in his hand and capable

/meteing out some punishment. His pistols are an example

/what I hope to see in the Impossible Toys TRNS-1(Arcee).

/They are well detailed and appropriately deadly looking.

/All of his weapons stow and/or deploy in all three modes

/fairly effortlessly. The folks at FanPro thought it all out.

>A/M: Armored Car: His armored car mode is a good

/mix of brutish and functional. It looks like it could take

/on most terrain fairly easily. In someways it reminds me

/of some of the future combat vehicle concepts from last

/decade. The pistols can be mounted forward in this mode

/and add some menace to an already tough looking ride.

>A/M: Helicopter: In helicopter mode which has a pleasantly

/thorough transition from his armored car configuration. The

/Defender looks like a bulky "Combat in the year 2000!"

/version of an Apache combat helicopter. The rotor spins

/freely and the pistols are pegged into the front sponsons

/to give this mode the same "business" look that his terrestrial

/combat form has.

Quality: The die-cast metal is nice, and the plastic is of higher

quality than some of FanPro's earlier efforts. The paint job is

as close to perfect as you will see in the third party market.

All he needs is an Autobot insignia and he's pretty near

perfect.

Value: This where it gets a bit less positive. You need to

ask yourself, "Self. Do I really love Springer $90 worth?"

Because after shipping that's pretty much what this fellah

costs. If you say "Yes" then jump on it before he is on the

path to oblivion...

Dang it, my opinions on FansProject Explorer have been proven wrong, more or less. It's ultra-realistic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Sciences_X-34 (and seriously, I should have known, as I am a shuttle fan and try to keep up with most projects of that nature)

I am both humbled and embarrassed. (doesn't make it any less ugly though!)

::edit:: Ok, now I'm just flat-out ashamed. The Orbital L-1011 captive-carried the thing. I *really* should have known about it.

Dang it, my opinions on FansProject Explorer have been proven wrong, more or less. It's ultra-realistic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Sciences_X-34 (and seriously, I should have known, as I am a shuttle fan and try to keep up with most projects of that nature)

I am both humbled and embarrassed. (doesn't make it any less ugly though!)

::edit:: Ok, now I'm just flat-out ashamed. The Orbital L-1011 captive-carried the thing. I *really* should have known about it.

*points and laughs*

At least you're good enough to admit when you made a mistake. :p

Will FansProject be putting out the other pieces for Bruticus or do these two toys mate with already-existing TF toys?

Edited by CoryHolmes

They're made for the Energon sculpt of Bruticus, but at this rate FP might as well have made it from the ground up.

Wonder if they still plan on making that original combiner with animal themed robots. Looking at their recent work, it could be the ultimate combiner.

Wonder if they still plan on making that original combiner with animal themed robots. Looking at their recent work, it could be the ultimate combiner.

Was their "Glacial Bot" (the red mammoth) supposed to be part of that? I really like the look of that one.

Was their "Glacial Bot" (the red mammoth) supposed to be part of that? I really like the look of that one.

Yup, IIRC the mammoth was the central piece for that combiner. I remember the bot mode looking like it was ripped from G1 designs.

Speaking of combiners, not too long ago I read that iGear is going to do a Predaking toy but I haven't heard anything new about it. An updated Predaking would be supreme.

Sweet. I guess I missed the part where it was mentioned that the mammoth was part of a combiner team. Now I want him even more!

I dug around a little and found these: (I see a rhino and a saber-tooth something in there, and possibly a croc...although they might all be prehistoric creatures considering the mammoth)

post-430-1271433819_thumb.jpg

post-430-1271433823_thumb.jpg

Edited by eriku