1:48 Hasegawa YF-19

tetsujin

I think Hasegawa needs to further exploit the old licenses, with a VF-4, VF-14, Variable Glaug, and (dare I say it!) an armored GERWALK kit, etc...

They VF-1 line, as good as it is, is becoming stale for them with all these new fighters coming out of the Bandai camp...

1/48 scales are certainly a good start, but the 1/72 line could use some new ideas!

Let's face it, modeling for the most part as we know it is dead. It used to be that you really work to achieve a great look. Then Bandai came along, and came up with ways to make great looking, high detail kits which with a little more effort through washes/markers/minor paint apps look incredible. Not saying that's a bad thing at all, if it makes for a better kit than great. However, I can't count how many times I've heard people say they don't want to build Hasegawa's because their not variable. This is the future of models, toy meets kit with high detail results, and what's not to love about that? It started with the variable 80's kits, and evolved...and I for one am glad it did.

Hasegawa really needs to get into the 21st century. With less and less interest in "real" kit building (I use the term "real" loosely, see the 1/48 MF valk thread that became a Bandai model kit vs. Standard model kit debate) they HAVE to evolve. This means they have 2 choices IMO, one, take a risk and start making kits that compliment toy lines that there are no toys for in the same scale (Regults, Glaugs, etc.), or the safer bet and one I'd like to see, take the Bandai approach to kit design, but keep they're high detail standards. I have no doubt after building the Reactive armored 0S they could do a great kit. Too bad I don't think we'll see it. I pre-ordered the YF-19, I figure for 50 bucks I'll give it a shot, and if I hate it, oh well. If I'm not blown away though, and it's just a 1/72 version scaled up, I won't be buying another.

Thats right don't try and learn anything - just bitch and whine because you can't have it handed to you on a plate.

Get some skills boy, your gum flappin has the sound of a toy freak to it.

LOL.

As nice as Yamies are I wont be buying another one, I much prefer the build it yourself aproach and the Gundam snap it together put sickers on and zoom it round the room doesnt work. If you want a toy buy a toy, if you want model buy a model. Models are static things and as such are usually more delicate and more detailed. Toys have to have compromises in detail and materials just to allow durability and keep cost down.

Hasegawa could learn a lot from Bandai.

How many times have I spent hours sanding filled seams right in the middle of a two parts glued together and thought. Why in hell didnt they put the seam line 3mm to the right and use the edge of that part to hide it. Also the some times needless gluing of parts to make one bigger part is anoying, especially when you can clearly see it was not needed, the VF1 planes are a prime example of that.

Dont get me started on the almost random lets just make that part in off blue plastic even though everything round it is in white, so the user can spend hours trying to get the paint right when if we'd just done it white they could use a quick coat of primer and some white top coat.

Yes it would be great to get some bigger scale stuff or even more 1/72's that are not just a new box and different decal sheet, but I think they will be doing a Yamato on us for some time yet.

Hasegawa could learn a lot from Bandai.

I distinctly remember WM Cheng saying that the Bandai 1/100 EX Yukikaze static kits were a pig to build compared the Hasegawa static kits. And the Bandai ones were released after.

Lets compare apples to apples shall we. Hasegawa stuff is not "Gunpla" and for a dying hobby scale modelling is spoilt with an awful lot of new kits released every year - not forgetting the awesome Finemolds SW stuff.

I distinctly remember WM Cheng saying that the Bandai 1/100 EX Yukikaze static kits were a pig to build compared the Hasegawa static kits. And the Bandai ones were released after.

Lets compare apples to apples shall we. Hasegawa stuff is not "Gunpla" and for a dying hobby scale modelling is spoilt with an awful lot of new kits released every year - not forgetting the awesome Finemolds SW stuff.

Oh I didnt mean that way. I meant that the molding techniques like putting joints where seam line are suposed to be. Instead of hard to sand and fill areas. Also the general way in which the snap-together Gundam stuff doesnt seem to have as many line up problems that the Hasegawa kits do. I think I spend as much time with the putty and filler as I do glueing it all together. My few Gundam kits were easy to put together granted but the line issues were only a couple of parts per kit rather than the several that the average Vf1 has in it.

Granted the fun of kit building is the filling and sandind and painting. I just wish that I didnt have to spend more time doing it than say painting the average kit.

To put in to perspective I spent less time geting rid of the over cast on one of the Capt.'s kits, and they are garage resin. Hasegawa spend more a year on Coffee cups than John probably earns, if a Guy in his home work shop can work out where to put joins and such surely a big plastics firm with over 20 years in the can could too.

I am a model guy sure. I know this as everytime I look at one of my Yamies or TF's I think pannel lines and detailing or ohh look at the naasty sprew snap marks on the plastic etc. I then spend time thinking about how best to fix em. :)

Bandai is ultimately good for the hobby because everyone can build snaptogether and sooner or later a good proportion of the snap together crowd jump over to the more demanding stuff, thus giving the likes of Hasegawa and Tamiya a reason to go on.

We are the last of the era of scratch built Sci Fi kit bash T.V and film stuff, where modeling skills were a pre requisite of the job.

This is what mostly brought us here.

Nowadays with the likes of CGI you need to know 3d modeling and textures and finishes, and art in itself but you never actually need to use a paint brush or glue for real, so the olde ways like blacksmithing are going the way of the Dodo to some extent. To be replaced by the new order of CGI and computer designed kits with precision moldings and easy fit assembly. As long as they still do make kits I wont be too unhappy though.

Edited by big F

Good points. T

hough I think it would be pretty tough to get rid of most of those seams. That said modern "slide mould" technology would fix that though I am not sure Hase would invest that mich in an anime kit. Maybe if it was the thirtieth iteration of a Tiger tank but not a VF-1 :)

Cheers

Berttt

Good points. T

hough I think it would be pretty tough to get rid of most of those seams. That said modern "slide mould" technology would fix that though I am not sure Hase would invest that mich in an anime kit. Maybe if it was the thirtieth iteration of a Tiger tank but not a VF-1 :)

Cheers

Berttt

LOL how about the thirtieth iteration of a VF-1. there must have been almost that any how :)

Good discussion... I'm still of two minds on the whole issue. I would personally prefer Hasegawa's style of models myself (its just fits my "old-timers" style of building better). BUT, having said that and seeing all the real bricks and mortar hobby shops around town closing up - its clear that this is a dying hobby (wasn't there a japanese hobby (real model only) magazine that ceased print last year?). Anything that attracts new builders is a good thing for the hobby as a whole. And I've seen tons of posts about people who have never tried to put together a model before attempt to build the new Bandai VF-25 - what a great thing that is! Well, to be fair, they were driven to it due to Bandai's own poor execution of their DX toy line - but still good for the modelling hobby! So I must commend Bandai for that!

Me personally, I'm having a really hard time building up the VF-25 from Bandai properly, and its all these "easy" features that they attempt to engineer into it that screws up the traditional modelling build. You can hear me whine about it on my build up thread, I won't bore you with the details. Let just say Bandai kits have their own audience and they cater to that extremely well, but that is not to be confused with the traditional modellers out there.

Also lets keep in mind about the panel lines issue... Gundam designed universe uses extremely large panels and assemblies, if you look at some of the chest pieces and where they chose to break up the sections into panel lines, they work out to be huge (easily 10-14ft sections!) pieces - fine for anime, but pretty impractical for real-world construction. I understand that the anime art doesn't want the sweat shops to have to draw in all the necessary panel line lines for every frame of the animation. But if we are to linger on a model for more than 1/24 of a second, there needs to be a bit more interest in the model to captivate our gaze. This is where Hasegawa shines! It makes up additional detail that is realistic and convincing drawn upon their years of making real-world aircraft (maybe their YF-19 & 22 should be excluded from this statement, I was a bit dissapointed with their lack of additional details for these entries). Bandai never has put anything more into their models than what was originally drawn - as a result, the models still look like anime, it never transcends that cartoony look to become something that may have been real (which is generally the goal of most traditional modellers). Also with such large pieces, its easy to break down the plastic parts into these components for building along existing lineart panels and creases, because the Gundam design permits such crude parts breakdown (also I'm sure the anime design is always designed with merchandising in mind right from the beginning). Real aircraft is usually more complex... too complex for such simple breakdowns.

An example is their Yukikaze EX line of static models, aside from the fact that Bandai has never gotten their landing gears right or really knows how to scale properly, they seem to always undersize their models somehow - they follow all these panel lines in the line art that start and end in the middle of a surface?!! They don't have any understanding of how real world things are built, they just slavishly follow the anime lineart without thinking. I'm sure it was a design or animation error, but its pretty wierd to have a static model with the etched panel lines end without terminating in an enclosed panel.

OK, believe it or not, I would also like to add that I hate it when the pieces breakdown and assemble right on the panel lines. I find that often when you glue it (of course this is key, you snap together a Gundam kit) no matter how careful you are with the glue, it often oozes slightly out of the cracks, which in this case it means it will ooze into the panel lines. So I have to then repair the panel line and take out the ooze, which is harder to remove the ooze than from a surface since its in a recess valley (panel line). Often, I find I have to completely erase the panel line with putty, then sand smooth just to re-scribe that panel line (which no matter what you do, will be a slightly different panel line than the surrounding molded in panel lines - you have to find the closest tool you have that will re-create the trench to match the other panel lines). I would much rather they put the piece separations on some part of the assembly that is either hidden when built or some smooth piece with relatively little detail around it so that it can be sanded down without obscuring any details.

Ok, thats my two cents. I am looking forward to this Hasegawa 1/48 entry, but personally at 1/48 scale, it would take too much work to properly detail this thing up as the size demands. For example, at 1/48 scale, the landing gear wells and structs really need all the hydraulic break lines, disc brakes, hydraulic fluid reservoirs and cylinders modelled, the myriad of electrical bundles in the bays added to do this scale justice. Also, out of all the Hasegawa 1/72 scale kits, I find the YF-19 to be most lacking in detail of all of them - great generall overall shape, but not a lot of additional detail (plus they got the rear gears wrong). Odd choice for a first 1/48 entry - I'd still love a VF-1 in 1/48 from them!

For example, at 1/48 scale, the landing gear wells and structs really need all the hydraulic break lines, disc brakes, hydraulic fluid reservoirs and cylinders modelled, the myriad of electrical bundles in the bays added to do this scale justice.

...and that sounds like it's right up your alley. :lol:

Yep, that's a challenge for you right there.

I guess I'm glad to get any model kit of macross genre.

I too am not impressed with model kit manufacturers who think that the more pieces the better. Do they really have to cut every piece in half so it can be glued together? I understand injection molding and the need to balance the mold but sometimes I think they go too far. I started out in the 80's with nasty "revellgram" cars where the molds seemed like they were shifted 5 mm off center and they halfway closed the mold so the flash could be used as a kicthen knife and a square blob was the engine but today seems like the golden age of model kits. I can't remember a time in the past with more variety and complexity in the model industry.

I love the hase valks and battroids. They look better than my Imai kits.

I thank all the companies who think robots/sci-fi are a good modeling subject. Really, who needs another Tiger tank model kit to throw on the pile?

Thats why Hasegawa is a godsend. They brought a high class take on macross and now on M.aK as well :)

Couldn't agree w/ you more. I can't wait to get ahold of my copy - while I would've preferred a 1/48 VF-1 I'm looking forward to trying my hand on the Dash 19

Couldn't agree w/ you more. I can't wait to get ahold of my copy - while I would've preferred a 1/48 VF-1 I'm looking forward to trying my hand on the Dash 19

Don't worry, I am almost certain Hasegawa will release the VF-1 lineup in 1/48 scale. With BanDai now agressively biting huge chunks out of the Macross model market, it will be very unwise for Hasegawa not to release more newer items. That is unless their license is restricted or other unknown issues.

Thats right don't try and learn anything - just bitch and whine because you can't have it handed to you on a plate.

Get some skills boy, your gum flappin has the sound of a toy freak to it.

Pbbt...I have skills, while not as good as several others like HWR and Wm. Cheng, I've built my share of Hasegawa kits and they don't come out bad (although I admit only Macross kits) as well as Bandai Gundams. I just like Gundams more. Now is that because I'm more of a Gundam fan and biased, I admit it could be. I wasn't bitching at all, just stating the obvious, if Hasegawa wants to truly compete in the market, they need to evolve. If Bandai put out a 1/48 YF-19 that was variable, it would KILL Hasegawa's version in sales, regardless of which one was more accurate. I'd love to see Hasegawa stick around, however, if the recent Frontier love trickles back to the older Macross stuff like SDF, Plus, Zero...Hasegawa could be in real trouble. We're already seeing some older Mac stuff get redone in the toyline like the VF-1 1/100 by Bandai, and Hasegawa really can't compete with them, Bandai is just too big. The only way to compete is to make a better product, and make it more accessible to a wider group. I'm not dogging Hasegawa at all, I have a lot of respect for their accuracy on kits.

However, I do enjoy my PG kits more, I just feel when I buy a PG, I get more for my money than when I buy a Hasegawa kit. Maybe the 1/48 19 will change that, I don't know.

The engineering and construction of Hasegawa compared to Bandai is quite different. It like people arguing about apples and oranges and It is very easy to complain that Hasegawa is just milking old molds, other than then expected 1/48 YF-19.

I complain about that all the time but we have to remember that Hasegawa is the only company to market the Mac 0 Armored Battroid. Other than a little trading figure that came out a couple of months ago... the model is the only example.

The increased popularity of Macross F is good for the entire franchise. What is bad is the economic down turn and poor exchange rates. Yet, for those that have money to spend, market saturation will bring lower prices.

I hate the saying but in the end "It will be all good".

Pbbt...I have skills, while not as good as several others like HWR and Wm. Cheng, I've built my share of Hasegawa kits and they don't come out bad (although I admit only Macross kits) as well as Bandai Gundams. I just like Gundams more. Now is that because I'm more of a Gundam fan and biased, I admit it could be. I wasn't bitching at all, just stating the obvious, if Hasegawa wants to truly compete in the market, they need to evolve. If Bandai put out a 1/48 YF-19 that was variable, it would KILL Hasegawa's version in sales, regardless of which one was more accurate. I'd love to see Hasegawa stick around, however, if the recent Frontier love trickles back to the older Macross stuff like SDF, Plus, Zero...Hasegawa could be in real trouble. We're already seeing some older Mac stuff get redone in the toyline like the VF-1 1/100 by Bandai, and Hasegawa really can't compete with them, Bandai is just too big. The only way to compete is to make a better product, and make it more accessible to a wider group. I'm not dogging Hasegawa at all, I have a lot of respect for their accuracy on kits.

However, I do enjoy my PG kits more, I just feel when I buy a PG, I get more for my money than when I buy a Hasegawa kit. Maybe the 1/48 19 will change that, I don't know.

It fascinates me how you can completely misread something Excillon. You responded obliviously to the type of person who doesn't really like the style of model that Bandai puts out and are pretty staunch customers of Hasegawa. Note the size of many people's stashes on here. Many individuals on this board have triples and quadruples of kits because they want to build multiple variants.

Given the choice, alot of people will buy a Hasegawa YF-19 over a Bandai one because it is a classic model that makes ugly compromises. In that sense, Hasegawa makes a better product, aimed at a specific market which Bandai's goods have a very tenuous hold. Hasegawa didn't enter into macross models nine years ago to build gunpla type models, they entered to build realistic representations of Macross airplanes. Looking at the VF-25, its a nice battroid (and I'll likely build mine up in a static pose), but I don't really like the fighter mode and the work it to make it look like realistic fighter. While yes many people do modify Hasegawa models to transform, the vast majority of buyers do not, and are happy with their kits the way they are.

On that note I doubt that Bandai would go down the YF-19 1/48 route... that market is already saturated with a pretty good toy by Yamato and the soon to be released Hasegawa model. Its 15 year old anime with a moderate following; not quite a massively profitable area. Conversely if Hasegawa produced the VF-25, it probably would be very profitable for the manufacturer. I'd buy several and I'm sure others here would too.

Also note the very substantial price difference; an armored VF-25 is about 4500 yen, while a Hasegawa Strike VF-1 is about Y2800. A PG RX-78 retails for over 10K. Id even argue then that many PG models isn't as good as a Hasegawa model, as it doesn't have the same level of realistic relief detail. I don't care whether my model has an complex, inner frame because its never going to be seen anyway.

Edited by Noyhauser

Good discussion... I'm still of two minds on the whole issue. I would personally prefer Hasegawa's style of models myself (its just fits my "old-timers" style of building better). BUT, having said that and seeing all the real bricks and mortar hobby shops around town closing up - its clear that this is a dying hobby (wasn't there a japanese hobby (real model only) magazine that ceased print last year?). Anything that attracts new builders is a good thing for the hobby as a whole. And I've seen tons of posts about people who have never tried to put together a model before attempt to build the new Bandai VF-25 - what a great thing that is! Well, to be fair, they were driven to it due to Bandai's own poor execution of their DX toy line - but still good for the modelling hobby! So I must commend Bandai for that!

Hey WM... my only point of contention with your post is over the actual health of the hobby... I don't think its nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I think the problem with smaller hobby stores closing can be attributed in part to the internet, which has altered the business model. They are not just profitable anymore, as Ebay and online retailers are taking a huge chunk of the market as it often provides better prices and almost certainly better choice. Instead of there being only one or two modelmakers available, there are now dozens on the internet. Look at the explosion of aftermarket kits for some of the most esoteric subjects; it serves an unfulfilled market demand. Right now I'm trying to put together a collection of all of Hawker Aircraft's major makes. I couldn't do that a decade ago, and smaller buyers can't cater to this market either.

The only question is whether the hobby is undergoing a greying with less younger participants entering into the hobby. Here too I'm not sure whether its a real threat as I think the market has just changed how it pursues the hobby. I think alot of adults are being brought into the hobby through the internet. I look at forums like this, ARC, Finescale, and the like, and they serve as meeting points for people to become casually engaged in the hobby in a way that didn't exist before. People can learn tips and share experiences in the comfort of their own home.

I may well be overly optimistic here... but I just don't think its all gloom and doom for the hobby. While it might be undergoing a retraction, I don't see signs of a major collapse at all.

Edited by Noyhauser

It fascinates me how you can completely misread something Excillon. You responded obliviously to the type of person who doesn't really like the style of model that Bandai puts out and are pretty staunch customers of Hasegawa. Note the size of many people's stashes on here. Many individuals on this board have triples and quadruples of kits because they want to build multiple variants.

Given the choice, alot of people will buy a Hasegawa YF-19 over a Bandai one because it is a classic model that makes ugly compromises. In that sense, Hasegawa makes a better product, aimed at a specific market which Bandai's goods have a very tenuous hold. Hasegawa didn't enter into macross models nine years ago to build gunpla type models, they entered to build realistic representations of Macross airplanes. Looking at the VF-25, its a nice battroid (and I'll likely build mine up in a static pose), but I don't really like the fighter mode and the work it to make it look like realistic fighter. While yes many people do modify Hasegawa models to transform, the vast majority of buyers do not, and are happy with their kits the way they are.

On that note I doubt that Bandai would go down the YF-19 1/48 route... that market is already saturated with a pretty good toy by Yamato and the soon to be released Hasegawa model. Its 15 year old anime with a moderate following; not quite a massively profitable area. Conversely if Hasegawa produced the VF-25, it probably would be very profitable for the manufacturer. I'd buy several and I'm sure others here would too.

Also note the very substantial price difference; an armored VF-25 is about 4500 yen, while a Hasegawa Strike VF-1 is about Y2800. A PG RX-78 retails for over 10K. Id even argue then that many PG models isn't as good as a Hasegawa model, as it doesn't have the same level of realistic relief detail. I don't care whether my model has an complex, inner frame because its never going to be seen anyway.

A lot of people may buy a YF-19, not the majority though. Who do you think sells more kits, Bandai or Hasegawa? 2nd, it's not really fair of you to bash Bandai as with the exception of making the 1/72 VF-25, how long has it been since bandai has made a new Macross line? Why don't you wait until Bandai makes their 1/48 VF-25, then compare the 2. You tell me I read things wrong, yet you're the one acting like I'm bashing Hasegawa, which I'm not. Just stating my opinions from an unbiased point of view, which I can do because I like both kits, Bandai and Hasegawa. Furthmore, I'd bet that if Macross kits got the same treatment as Gundam kits, there would be much less Gundam and Bandai model bashing in general on here.

As for the frame thing, why do you think they make clear parts? So you can display the inner frame. I like PG's more, which I've already stated, because they're more interesting. It's the perfect balance of form vs. function. Bandai reinvented and redefined model kits, and continue to improve, and just because you're bitter that you're a practitioner of a dying art doesn't really give you the right to bash Bandai kits. I think it's sad that traditional modelling is dying off, but at least I evolved and embraced the future of models rather than sit here and whine about it. I'm sure the YF-19 will be a great kit for what it is, but I doubt it's going to be breathtaking by any stretch.

Hey WM... my only point of contention with your post is over the actual health of the hobby... I don't think its nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I think the problem with smaller hobby stores closing can be attributed in part to the internet, which has altered the business model. They are not just profitable anymore, as Ebay and online retailers are taking a huge chunk of the market as it often provides better prices and almost certainly better choice. Instead of there being only one or two modelmakers available, there are now dozens on the internet. Look at the explosion of aftermarket kits for some of the most esoteric subjects; it serves an unfulfilled market demand. Right now I'm trying to put together a collection of all of Hawker Aircraft's major makes. I couldn't do that a decade ago, and smaller buyers can't cater to this market either.

The only question is whether the hobby is undergoing a greying with less younger participants entering into the hobby. Here too I'm not sure whether its a real threat as I think the market has just changed how it pursues the hobby. I think alot of adults are being brought into the hobby through the internet. I look at forums like this, ARC, Finescale, and the like, and they serve as meeting points for people to become casually engaged in the hobby in a way that didn't exist before. People can learn tips and share experiences in the comfort of their own home.

I may well be overly optimistic here... but I just don't think its all gloom and doom for the hobby. While it might be undergoing a retraction, I don't see signs of a major collapse at all.

I hope your right Noyhauser! I only wished I shared your optimism. While the internet is great to get rare and hard to find stuff, I still find this stuff to be getting rarer and harder to find all the time. I just joined the local IPMS chapter here in the city and its populated by a lot of seniors, I'm by far the youngest, but I'm almost 40! (in 12 days!! - argh!!!). I haven't seen anyone younger in the stores except to accompany their grandparents hobby in a long time. I really like 1/72 scale - mostly due to my lack of space to display them, so I always look around for 1/72 scale aftermarket stuff - believe you me, its really hard to find stuff (unlike 1/48 scale) and getting harder all the time! ;-( There is a definite greying of the hobby, but I don't see the next generation picking it up. I find a really hard time to carve our any time for my hobby being a parent now (and I really, really love it!). There's just no time in today's busy hectic schedule for the casual hobbist (no more 9-5 jobs with mom staying at home anymore). I am afraid, we are the tiny aging minority here.

As Excillon said; "...bitter that you're a practitioner of a dying art" is what I feel like sometimes, however I wouldn't go so far as not evolving and sitting there whining about it. We're not bashing Bandai - don't get me wrong, I'm building their VF-25 right now (maybe not enjoying it!) but still building the best I could. But its really designed for the snip and snap crowd, it does look great for the amount of effort you put into it (better than any Hasegawa kit could un-painted) but I'm after a little more (and it fights you if you want that extra bit of effort). It could be a generational gap here too. Tranditional model making just doesn't have the immediate gratification that newer paintless snap together Bandai kits offer. In fact, model making lacks that immediate gratification that our society as a whole now demands, patience is a dying quality, just look at the current economic crisis which can be summed up by people going into incredible debts for instant gratification. No I digress (or ramble on as my "age" suggest ;-) hehe...

I'd be curious about a poll that correlated Bandai supporters versus Hasegawa supporters and their relative ages.

Back to the 1/48 Hasegawa YF-19, I'd love to see it first, I just don't have the room to display them properly, but its just too tempting (especially once we get pictures - however I am surprised they chose this subject as the first one in the series, I personally think their 1/72 scale version is one of the weakest in their series). As I get older, I only have a limited space in the house to display the models, as they are displayed like art with appropriate space around them - to jumble them together makes them like toys and cheapens the respect they deserve.

Im hoping they do an outstanding job which leads to Others in this scale and the enevitable garage kit conversions to build Battroids from them. :)

Unless they do them themselves. :) :)

Edited by big F

I'd be curious about a poll that correlated Bandai supporters versus Hasegawa supporters and their relative ages.

Age 22 here and I'm standing in the middle. I want the best of both worlds even if I consider myself a newb. :p

I'm kinda dissappointed that I can't find any local store selling model kits and supplies, but it looks to me that the hobby stores are still flourishing on the internet.

Edited by shiroikaze

I hope your right Noyhauser! I only wished I shared your optimism. While the internet is great to get rare and hard to find stuff, I still find this stuff to be getting rarer and harder to find all the time. I just joined the local IPMS chapter here in the city and its populated by a lot of seniors, I'm by far the youngest, but I'm almost 40! (in 12 days!! - argh!!!). I haven't seen anyone younger in the stores except to accompany their grandparents hobby in a long time. I really like 1/72 scale - mostly due to my lack of space to display them, so I always look around for 1/72 scale aftermarket stuff - believe you me, its really hard to find stuff (unlike 1/48 scale) and getting harder all the time! ;-( There is a definite greying of the hobby, but I don't see the next generation picking it up. I find a really hard time to carve our any time for my hobby being a parent now (and I really, really love it!). There's just no time in today's busy hectic schedule for the casual hobbist (no more 9-5 jobs with mom staying at home anymore). I am afraid, we are the tiny aging minority here.

As Excillon said; "...bitter that you're a practitioner of a dying art" is what I feel like sometimes, however I wouldn't go so far as not evolving and sitting there whining about it. We're not bashing Bandai - don't get me wrong, I'm building their VF-25 right now (maybe not enjoying it!) but still building the best I could. But its really designed for the snip and snap crowd, it does look great for the amount of effort you put into it (better than any Hasegawa kit could un-painted) but I'm after a little more (and it fights you if you want that extra bit of effort). It could be a generational gap here too. Tranditional model making just doesn't have the immediate gratification that newer paintless snap together Bandai kits offer. In fact, model making lacks that immediate gratification that our society as a whole now demands, patience is a dying quality, just look at the current economic crisis which can be summed up by people going into incredible debts for instant gratification. No I digress (or ramble on as my "age" suggest ;-) hehe...

Back to the 1/48 Hasegawa YF-19, I'd love to see it first, I just don't have the room to display them properly, but its just too tempting (especially once we get pictures - however I am surprised they chose this subject as the first one in the series, I personally think their 1/72 scale version is one of the weakest in their series). As I get older, I only have a limited space in the house to display the models, as they are displayed like art with appropriate space around them - to jumble them together makes them like toys and cheapens the respect they deserve.

The tree to finished kit may be be a dying art, but toy modding has become the younger generation's hobby of choice it appears. A pre-packaged , pre-built kit that can be displayed as is or modified into what you want. Hence the appearance of scales traditionally used in plastic kit building.

The greater sophistication of toys construction is another factor in the sunset of kit building. You compare a VF-1 toy even ten years ago to one produced today. The quality of sculpts coming out now are truly stunning! Hence the trend toward toy modifications rather than the traditional kits.

That's the main reason why I am committed to collecting all the VF-100 series coming out (hopefully they'll do all the VFs :ph34r: ). The sculpts are truly beautiful and they are the perfect size for displaying in my apartment. I plan to see if I can get some of the Deculture decals made in the right scale so that I can modify the VF-25s.

The sad thing is that kit bashing a completely unique subject or diorama building is quickly disappearing as an art form in the hobby.

Another factor is the population densities in urban centers, where more and more people are opting for condos over houses, which speaks to your lack of display space as becoming more and more common.

Hell if I had the cash, I'd be commissioning several Cheng kits for my own collection (no joke!).

On a side note dude, you really should take the opportunity to submit hires (300+px) pictures of your Valks to Hobby Japan, Dengenki Hobby, or Model Graphix. I'm sure the Japanese kit builders would get a kick out of seeing a Western Macross fan's work published. In many ways its on par if not better than many we've already seen published in those pages.

Something to consider.

I'd have to somewhat agree with wm cheng. I go to my local hobby store quite often and it's the same story. I'm probably the youngest guy who buys kits and supplies there. And I'm already in my mid-30s. :o

And yes, we're certainly getting alot busier in our lives these days.

Now in my case, I'm still a newbie to kit building. My skills are nowhere near any of the maestros here at MW. In fact, my entry into kit building was helped by Bandai's Gundam kits. Thanks to the internet, I was able to glean enough information help me feel confident enough to build a Gunpla to a level I can be happy with. The Gundam kits, gave me some experience and more confidence - enough to next tackle traditional kits. It also helps that my income has reached a point where I can indulge a bit on kit building. One of the things that make traditional kits a bit less appealing to newcomers is the cost in learning how to build them and the equipment needed.

To be honest, I'd rather build a snap-fit Gunpla than a traditional Hasegawa-type kit. They just come together faster, easier, and cheaper. In this fast-paced busy life, that's a big plus and no doubt one of the reasons why Gunplas have gotten so popular. But I know that I have to learn how to make the traditional type kits if i want certain models in my preferred scales (1/72, 1/100, and 1/144). And even certain Gunpla kits (especially the older ones) need work to look decent.

Now, not all kits have to be like an MG Bandai kit. There will always be a place for the traditional Tamiya or Hasegawa type kit as they offer certain attributes that Bandai pre-colored snap-fits do not. But perhaps it would be nice if say Hasegawa could take a few cues from Bandai and offer an alternate line of easy-build Gunpla-ish kits? Perhaps such could revive the kit building hobby a bit? Just as the MG and HGUC lines did for Gundam modeling? Dunno. Just some thoughts.

Getting back on topic, 1/48 YF-19 is too darn big for me. Rather than bigger, i want smaller. Like 1/144....

I'm probably in the minority. :)

Hello guys! i'm torc from italy (please excuse my english) :)

i'm a huge fan of macross since the first tv version called ''robotech'' as the U.S.A version, and i know everything about macross... B))

i discovered this forum and i'm happy to see there's so many people loving this grat anime!

However,anyone knows the exatly release date about this awesome and huge kit?

thanks in advance for your answer...

Hello guys! i'm torc from italy (please excuse my english) :)

i'm a huge fan of macross since the first tv version called ''robotech'' as the U.S.A version, and i know everything about macross... B))

i discovered this forum and i'm happy to see there's so many people loving this grat anime!

However,anyone knows the exatly release date about this awesome and huge kit?

thanks in advance for your answer...

Welcome!

This proyect is scheduled to October. Stay tuned for news!

Welcome!

This proyect is scheduled to October. Stay tuned for news!

oh...i hoped for july according with many online stores that preorder the kit... however,thanks! :) just another question... do you know if is sheduled a new line of 1/48 scaled kits or if the yf 19 will be the only one?

The move to 1/48? FINALLY, but they took their sweet-a** time to do it. Years as a matter of fact. Hasegawa took way to long to get off their rears and throw the Macross lineup into 1/48, just like FineMoulds did with their Star Wars lineup (and they STILL have only 1 kit in 1/48).

I personally love 1/48 for aircraft. The model is respectably big and not braille scale. You can have alot of good details thrown in and not have to sacrifice your coffee table as a display base for a big aircraft kit.

If Hasegawa puts the effort into their 1/48 Macross lineup like they do with their military aircraft kits in that scale, then it should be good. I'd love to get a section of -19's in a custom scheme in the 1/48 scale without paying an arm and 2 legs for each kit.

I would have rather they started with the VF-1 though. They'll get to it when they can I guess...

YEAH! definite plus 1

Maybe Hasegawa will go the removeable panel route? to show some internals...

post-244-1247070112_thumb.jpg

post-244-1247070143_thumb.jpg