What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

For those who wanted more haruhi....your prayers might be answered.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...launch-in-april

WTF is with these production companies & their secrets. First Frontier was kept under wraps until late in production, and now Haruhi.

I wish this article was less cryptic about the who's & what's whill be involved in this, and whether it will be a sequal or reboot. But if the original writer is involved, and they pull back the seiyuu, it should still be cool.

Watched Ga-Rei Zero until ep 8. when i started to watch the next ep, i realized it was ep 10 already and i was missing #9. dammit. so i have to wait til i download ep9 first before going on.

But since i was already in an anime mood, i proceeded to watch Nabari no Ou. Nothing special, but watchable. so far.

April seems to be a big month for anime, with Haruhi and FullMetalAlchemist coming in.

WTF is with these production companies & their secrets. First Frontier was kept under wraps until late in production, and now Haruhi.

I wish this article was less cryptic about the who's & what's whill be involved in this, and whether it will be a sequal or reboot. But if the original writer is involved, and they pull back the seiyuu, it should still be cool.

We've been trolled. Latest news on NEWTYPE, apparently its just a RERUN. :angry: wtf?

I'm onto Mars Daybreak since the day before yersterday: half a dozen of eps so far and it's cooler than I expected; it reminds me of Cow Boy Be-Bop, to some extent, for its humour. Designs are very nice and animation is surprisingly smooth

I'm onto Mars Daybreak since the day before yersterday: half a dozen of eps so far and it's cooler than I expected; it reminds me of Cow Boy Be-Bop, to some extent, for its humour. Designs are very nice and animation is surprisingly smooth

I kinda liked that. It takes place in the same Multi-verse as Gunparade March and is based on a video game. The plot/ending is kinda weak though.

The Mazinkaiser OVA was awesome, especially the instances of "I wish I could have done that in the 70's" parodies they pulled.

It's just too bad they went back to super violent Go Nagai for the Vs Dark Shogun movie.

I think it's actually Full Metal Panic, not Fullmetal Alchemist.

nope, i was really referring to Full Metal Alchemist. if you believe wikipedia, the second series is coming out april 09:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_metal_alchemist#Anime

I haven't seen Full Metal Panic yet, aside from a random episode.

Second series? I'm assuming its a reboot that sticks with the manga, since the preivous one wrapped up its story pretty tightly.

or a prequel...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...emiere-in-april

though i don't see how much they can fit into a prequel without repeating stuff from the first series. the first series did a good job of describing the boys' hitory via flashbacks. oh well...

The almost surreal comedy around the announcement of Newtype about the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya has left the fans in utter confusion. The website that announced it was a rerun has retracted its statement and turned it into something vague like the Newtype article. Latest developments on Canned Dogs They should call it the "Mystery of Haruhi Suzumiya". Glad SK doesn't troll the Macross fans as hard as Kadokawa seems to do.

During this real life comedy I managed to watch some more anime:

Lucky star: I enjoyed it. Hilarious at times and some of the sharpest social observations I have seen in anime.

Samurai X Trust and Betrayal: Nicely animated OAV, very strong atmosphere, but I fell I missed some references. Not having seen the TV series probably didn't help.

Edited by Bri

or a prequel...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...emiere-in-april

though i don't see how much they can fit into a prequel without repeating stuff from the first series. the first series did a good job of describing the boys' hitory via flashbacks. oh well...

Now confirmed to be a remake. Lame. :rolleyes:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/02/10/f...hemist-2-dated/

The Mazinkaiser OVA was awesome, especially the instances of "I wish I could have done that in the 70's" parodies they pulled.

It's just too bad they went back to super violent Go Nagai for the Vs Dark Shogun movie.

I liked the ultra violence.

It was the named character body count that took me off gaurd.

I liked both. They were entertaining, in different ways.

I liked the ultra violence.

It was the named character body count that took me off gaurd.

I liked both. They were entertaining, in different ways.

Yeah, but they broke the cardinal rule, never kill the big breasted blonde characters, especially in the first 5 minutes!

Yeah, but they broke the cardinal rule, never kill the big breasted blonde characters, especially in the first 5 minutes!

Agreed. Only exception to the cardinal rule: big breasted blonde characters may be killed even in the first 5 minutes if the fun-time-on-the-beach fan service portion was already done. :)

About one third into Princess Tutu and I love it: don't laught because this hotchpotch of european traditionnal myths and legends is simply fantastic. I like how the various archetypes and themes of the fairy tales classics are mixed and sometimes switch their role – I mean, on the symbolism side: for example, when Tutu hurts Mytho in trying to give back his heart to him, or the desperate attempts of Fakir to "protect" his friend from her; it's difficult to say where stand good and evil, contrarily to the Walt Disney's versions which are the most often considerably simplified in comparison to the original stories

I love the part that animals play in this show: it's a fundamental element of all fairy tales and they are here very well used, both in the serious way and in the funny one (on this point, the dance teacher is simply great). The main heroine is one of them too, which doesn't ruin anything because the testimonial to The Ugly Little Duck (don't know if it's the correct title in english) is obvious. There's also some nice thoughts on the role of the writer, especially when the story escapes his hands and he becomes its puppet...

Music is great too, with these classic tracks from old operas which illustrate magnificently every instant of this old fashioned tragedy: this show presents numerous common points with Macross on the subject of the role of music in making hearts closer the ones from the others, hence the role of classic dance in this story which give a (very) false appearance of a magical girl series to it

Frankly, you'll not lose yout ime in giving a try to it: it's charming in many ways, and not the simplest ones. I'm sure the little kid who still inhabits your heart will love it

I'm watching the Tale of Genji right now...I'm mildly disappointed with it, so far, but that's because it's one of my all-time bar-none favorite books...so ANY adaptation always feels like it's lacking something to me. Other viewers would likely not be bothered by the stuff that's bothering me.

I will say that I like it heaps better than that movie they made fifteen years back or so. ^_^

I'm watching the Tale of Genji right now...I'm mildly disappointed with it, so far, but that's because it's one of my all-time bar-none favorite books...so ANY adaptation always feels like it's lacking something to me. Other viewers would likely not be bothered by the stuff that's bothering me.

I will say that I like it heaps better than that movie they made fifteen years back or so. ^_^

They made an adaptation of Tale of Genji??? wow... must watch.

Finally finished watching Ga-Rei Zero. cool series! and now, since the anime is apparently a prequel to the manga, i'm off to read it. :)

Pretty sad how Yomi turned out. She's like the Kerrigan of the GaRei universe by the events of the manga too. :(

About one third into Princess Tutu and I love it: don't laught because this hotchpotch of european traditionnal myths and legends is simply fantastic. I like how the various archetypes and themes of the fairy tales classics are mixed and sometimes switch their role – I mean, on the symbolism side: for example, when Tutu hurts Mytho in trying to give back his heart to him, or the desperate attempts of Fakir to "protect" his friend from her; it's difficult to say where stand good and evil, contrarily to the Walt Disney's versions which are the most often considerably simplified in comparison to the original stories

I love the part that animals play in this show: it's a fundamental element of all fairy tales and they are here very well used, both in the serious way and in the funny one (on this point, the dance teacher is simply great). The main heroine is one of them too, which doesn't ruin anything because the testimonial to The Ugly Little Duck (don't know if it's the correct title in english) is obvious. There's also some nice thoughts on the role of the writer, especially when the story escapes his hands and he becomes its puppet...

Music is great too, with these classic tracks from old operas which illustrate magnificently every instant of this old fashioned tragedy: this show presents numerous common points with Macross on the subject of the role of music in making hearts closer the ones from the others, hence the role of classic dance in this story which give a (very) false appearance of a magical girl series to it

Frankly, you'll not lose yout ime in giving a try to it: it's charming in many ways, and not the simplest ones. I'm sure the little kid who still inhabits your heart will love it

So you're admitting that you like anime designed for little girls huh? :lol:

I haven't watched Princess Tutu but in the same genre is Shugo Chara made by Studio Satelight (Yes the studio that did Macross Frontier) which isn't bad for a magical girl anime, though some have argued that situations and decisions made by Amu will not be realistically encountered by a real girl her age. :wacko:

Up to episode 19 of Toaru Majutsu No Index.

The show is pretty entertaining with some interesting characters ..... but man do they talk alot while they fight. :lol:

There's some loose connection with biblical powers/magic and lotsa mumbo jumbo being thrown about but if you can ignore those and the obvious lolikon pandering....this show is pretty entertaining.

Yeah. Just go to Tokyotosho, look up "Genji," and then prepare to be ROCKED by the drivin' theme song!

(I'm not making that up...I can't find the OP on youtube, but the song was written by Shiina Ringo and performed by Puffy. Certainly a weird choice for Genji...)

Wow! i didn't even know that they adapted Tale of Genji. Thanks for the info! :)

Pretty sad how Yomi turned out. She's like the Kerrigan of the GaRei universe by the events of the manga too. :(

Yeah, very much so. :( i'm guessing that the anime series really made it worse, since it showed her complete background and her relationship with kagura.

so clannad is actually good?

Didn't know that an anime was made of Tale of Genji , interesting, will have to check it out.

As for anime: just completed a marathon watch of Eureka 7. Received the last DVD last week and got round to watch it all. Mecha anime at it's finest. Wonderful character driven story. Lovable cast, great music and nice off-beat mecha designs by the master SK himself. Somehow it a bit felt like SDFM and Crest of Stars to me and thats about as high a praise I can give.

Princess Tutu had a great balance of dark elements all through, especially the ending which I won't spoil for you. I'm about to finish up Overman King Gainer, which is some good post Turn-A Tomino, it's actually got a lot of Turn-A & Zeta elements mixed in, with some of the ugliest but somehow watchable mecha ever. It's a bit disturbing to see the character designs from Eureka Seven with these characterizations though :)

Edited by Keith

My current list:

- Gundam 00 2nd season

- Shikabane Hime Kuro

- Tytania

- Sora Kakeru Shoujo

- Rideback

I'm planning to do a Crest of the Star/Banner of the Star marathon next week. ^_^