Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

To be honest, I haven't been all too impressed with the PS3. I have two games for it: Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resistance 2. I haven't played a whole lot of MGS4...but what I have played of R2...I haven't been all that impressed. The graphics aren't as good as GoW2 or CoD4 on my 360 (which is connected over component...unlike my PS3 via HDMI). The gameplay is alright...but again nothing like GoW and CoD. My first PSN experience was horrible; it was a pain in the ass to play one level of R2 with a friend. It simply isn't intuitive at all.

A lot of the games on the PS3 are also on the 360...so there's less incentive for me to pick up another title for it. The only other titles I'd even consider picking up for the PS3 would be Final Fantasy XIII and Killzone 2. Even though FFXIII is coming to the 360...a part of me thinks that it may play a little better on the PS3 than on the 360.

All in all, there are only two redeeming things going for the PS3 right now (in my opinion): the backwards compatibility and Blu-ray.

Which PS3 do you have? The PS3 no longer has backwards compatibility except for PS1 games. That was one of the deciding factors in why I went with a straight out Sony Blu Ray player instead of a PS3. But ultimately, having one game console these days is plenty for me. If I did have a PS3, I would definitely get the Resistance games, though pretty much any game that has appeared on both the 360 and PS3, I would pick the 360 versions of those games (Achievements!). I really think Sony should have stuck with the original 60GB PS3 from two years ago.

I really think Sony should have stuck with the original 60GB PS3 from two years ago.

Ya I think Sony should have just dropped the memory card readers and kept the PS2 compatibility..but since the PS2 was/is still selling well that I can see why they dropped it. Sony of course panicked because the PS3 wasn't selling like crazy. 4 versions in the first year. 20/40/60 and 80GB. I'm glad I have my 60GB(now a 160GB)

When the PS3 first came out it was cheapest Blu-ray player, nowadays its not. It's still considered the best blu-ray player though.

The 360 has alot of great games. I was originally gonna buy a 360 but the RROD problems put me off. Plus I really only have time/money for one console. However if the 360 Pro drops to 199.00...well....

Edited by bandit29

I heard a rumor they were coming up with some kind of software solution/download/upgrade for the gimped PS3's to play PS2 games, any news on that? I grabbed a 60 gig right when they knoced $100 off the price. The only thing I regret is that it puts out more heat than those newer models, aside from that I love it.

ooooh Home is finally live. Will it make the PS3 teh awesome?

edit:: wow, unimpressed. I don't know what I was expecting but the experience was not intuitive or fun. got booted out of my session twice, once trying to log in an again in the world... meh. I'll wait for the full version before I try again.

Edited by eugimon

ooooh Home is finally live. Will it make the PS3 teh awesome?

edit:: wow, unimpressed. I don't know what I was expecting but the experience was not intuitive or fun. got booted out of my session twice, once trying to log in an again in the world... meh. I'll wait for the full version before I try again.

Wow.. you gave Home.. what 30 minutes? please..

A friend of mine loaned me Resistance (the first one, not the new one), so I figured I'd play it even though it feels kinda mediocre. I quit around 4:00, then looked high and low and saw no sign of Home. Also, I thought the map packs for the first Resistance were supposed to become freebies today? They're still showing up as $7.99 and $4.99 for me.

I agree, home is pretty damn week. Or at the very least, it's not even remotely tailored to me with its twilight trailers, bowling, & micro transactions for clothes.

The one thing I don't get however, how are people distributed? There couldn't possibly have been as few people online as I saw, nor did I see a change server option, so are people just randomly strewn about?

I agree, home is pretty damn week. Or at the very least, it's not even remotely tailored to me with its twilight trailers, bowling, & micro transactions for clothes.

The one thing I don't get however, how are people distributed? There couldn't possibly have been as few people online as I saw, nor did I see a change server option, so are people just randomly strewn about?

huh, I saw TONS of people in the central something something area. people clumped together and I can only imagine they were chatting. What bothered me is that when I tried to do an activity Home used that to dump me off the server with the "too many people logged on" error message. That's a pretty bogus way to do crowd control, once you're in you shouldn't get bumped because you're trying to do something and if that something was actually taking place on a new server it shouldn't dump you out of Home, it should dump you to where you were originally.

I'm sure they'll get stuff like this sorted out though.

Which PS3 do you have? The PS3 no longer has backwards compatibility except for PS1 games. That was one of the deciding factors in why I went with a straight out Sony Blu Ray player instead of a PS3. But ultimately, having one game console these days is plenty for me. If I did have a PS3, I would definitely get the Resistance games, though pretty much any game that has appeared on both the 360 and PS3, I would pick the 360 versions of those games (Achievements!). I really think Sony should have stuck with the original 60GB PS3 from two years ago.

I have the MGS4 Bundle; I grabbed it before it was too late. If it weren't for the PSX/PS2 backwards compatibility...I would have never gotten a PS3.

Okay, I just got around to doing Home. It's a little ironic that the facial hair menu's icon is a goatee, but all they had were mustaches. Now my avatar looks a little creepy...

But anyway, to call Home weak is an understatement of epic proportions. Very few customization options, an empty apartment, and lengthy (hopefully it's just because Home is new) downloads every time you want to go to a new area... where there's nothing to do except spend real money. Home, in its current incarnation at least, is a pointless waste of hard drive space.

I heard a rumor they were coming up with some kind of software solution/download/upgrade for the gimped PS3's to play PS2 games, any news on that? I grabbed a 60 gig right when they knoced $100 off the price. The only thing I regret is that it puts out more heat than those newer models, aside from that I love it.

That rumor has been tossed around alot, never seen a sign of it coming true.

How long do you have to be kicked in the bean bag before you know it's a painful experience?

Exactly, time is a valuable commodity as is, I'd rather spend it playing a game, or watching anime. Walking around in a suedo game, doing nothing, and spending money on nothing isn't my idea of fun. But then I've never been one of the sims crowd. Now if they let you have a sniper rifle in it... :)

Exactly, time is a valuable commodity as is, I'd rather spend it playing a game, or watching anime. Walking around in a suedo game, doing nothing, and spending money on nothing isn't my idea of fun. But then I've never been one of the sims crowd. Now if they let you have a sniper rifle in it... :)

Or at least fight or be able to jump and stuff.

It would be cool if Home can be like GTA. On 2nd thought, couldn't you play GTA online?

I'm not knocking the format... I can see how a 2nd life type interface would be appealing... I know people who keep paying 15 bucks a month just so they can hang out in WoW and chat and "hang out" and I have to admit that when I used to play, just chatting with my friends whilst slaughtering monsters was half the fun. It's just not for me anymore... The people I would talk to online aren't hanging around online on their PS3s and if I want to play online games with them I'd rather meet them in the actual game lobby than in my virtual condo and then fire up the game.

And since I'm at the age where my wife and I are spending money on our ACTUAL condo... I don't feel like buying virtual furniture to make my virtual condo more cozy and appealing.

I dunno, maybe if you got to choose where your flat was, or maybe if like you suggest, there was some sort of game play element that made keeping up with the Joneses somehow *fun* instead of just expensive.

Anyhows, it's hardly the killer app it was hyped up to be and I'd rather play "kingdom of kelflings" and kick around my little minions than Home at this point.

I was in FFXI iso WoW and I think Home is like MMO 101 for a Sims/2nd life crowd. I also mentioned on another board Home will hopefully evolve over time with user created content and more publisher centric content...I like the Uncharted themed zone Sully's bar I think it's called. Time will tell if this was another over ambious poorly executed app from a game company.

For me, the one saving grace of Home right now is that it is still a BETA, so the lack of options is to be expected. I didn't go in with much in the way of expectations. I'm not even sure what they were hyping it up to be, given I didn't read much on it once I found out it was a basically just a social network.

At one point there was talk of having trophies be in-Home objects. That might be neat, particularly if they're different looking items (for example, a 'Defeated the Big Bad Monster' trophy in a game resulted in a trophy looking like the monster's head mounted. There would be some incentive to vist homes just to see some of the stuff, particularly the trophies you may never have a chance of obtaining and it would have some advantage over just looking at someone's profile.

The microtransaction-based environment (granted, which is how many free MMOs run) irks me a bit. I wonder how many people are going to spend $100+ just to make their avatars and avatar homes look pretty.

I'm willing to give it some time to develop, but agree that it's basically just a console-based graphically rendered social network... and we've had those on the computer going all the way back to Club Caribe on Q-Link for the Commodore 64.....

How long do you have to be kicked in the bean bag before you know it's a painful experience?

about 2 secs..

granted I'm not into a virtual lifestyle or anything like it but it is a beta. I'd rather just play games. I'm sure Home will improve.

Most gamers have the attention span of a 5 year old... I don't. I'll give something more than 30 minutes before I condemn it. Or use the typical gamer response BS :"OMFG epic phail"

about 2 secs..

granted I'm not into a virtual lifestyle or anything like it but it is a beta. I'd rather just play games. I'm sure Home will improve.

Most gamers have the attention span of a 5 year old... I don't. I'll give something more than 30 minutes before I condemn it. Or use the typical gamer response BS :"OMFG epic phail"

Where did I condemn it, or say. "epic fail". I gave my reasons why I wasn't going to stick around for the beta, which I CLEARLY STATED it was and then said I would try again when Home was finished. I also went on to say that even I thought the area where Home was technically weak, the way server handles are transferred and connectivity issues, were probably due to it being a BETA.

I also went on to explain I tried the game despite the fact the genre doesn't appeal to me and I even talked somewhat about how I could see the genre appealing to others.

Maybe I have the attention span of a 5 year old, but at least I don't have the reading comprehension of one.

Where did I condemn it, or say. "epic fail". I gave my reasons why I wasn't going to stick around for the beta, which I CLEARLY STATED it was and then said I would try again when Home was finished. I also went on to say that even I thought the area where Home was technically weak, the way server handles are transferred and connectivity issues, were probably due to it being a BETA.

I also went on to explain I tried the game despite the fact the genre doesn't appeal to me and I even talked somewhat about how I could see the genre appealing to others.

Maybe I have the attention span of a 5 year old, but at least I don't have the reading comprehension of one.

My response to Mike wasn't exactly aimed at you..more aimed at gamers(and their overreactions) in general ..get a clue..

My response to Mike wasn't exactly aimed at you..more aimed at gamers(and their overreactions) in general ..get a clue..

Really, where did mike say anything about "30 mins"? Oh, that's right, he didn't. I did and you took some pansy ass pot shot at me for it the first time and you brought it up again

I'll give something more than 30 minutes before I condemn it. Or use the typical gamer response BS :"OMFG epic phail"

So if you're going to play and take pot shots at people, at least man up and admit when you get called on it.

lol whatever man. Mike asked me a question, I responded. Not my fault you thought I was talking about you.

the last thing I need in my life is a war of words about videogames with a baby...

:rolleyes: Whatever man, I have a toddler at home, I know a load of crap when I smell one.

about 2 secs..

I'm aware of the fact that it's a beta, and I hope Sony takes time to listen to the criticisms and turn Home into decent experience. But, I still think Eugimon's 30 minutes was more than enough time to form an impression of the beta, and I think his opinion was actually quite generous. Personally, in it's current state, I don't think anyone should be playing Home. No matter who you are, you have something better to do. C-Span is currently more entertaining. Is that typical gamer response BS? I'd say it's an accurate observation about a "game" that mostly involves making an avatar with very limited options, buying stuff for your avatar and his apartment with real money, and standing in lines.

I like the new plaza better than the old. We just know not to invite eugimon to the PS3 MW club?

:ph34r:

Meh, I'm open to it once it's stable and more fleshed out... like I said, repeatedly, I'm just not interested enough to beta test for free.