Aoshima Variable 1/48 Legioss for 2007

Save

Is it true that the Shadow Alpha MPC is the most durable of all the Alpha MPC's?

I recently auctioned off my Shadow Alpha as I shrink my collection down to something more manageable/meaningful; it was a noncharacter to me so off it went.

Anyway, I have(had) three toynami alphas. Out of the three, the Shadow had the worst QC. The hands were better because they're big claws, but they're still made of that craptastic soft plastic. Outside of that, I had just as many paint problems and chips as the others. What made it worse was that it had a huge glaring chip out of the right intake. So by durable, pretty much what people mean is that the hands won't fall apart. Everything else is still the same. :( or at least that's my experience...

Toynamis are just crap. I am sorry I bought a set of veritechs and alphas. I went back and got the gakken ones and man they are rock solid. The toynami alphas wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt fragile and if the chest could clear the ground when in fighter. the big feet are major complaint when it is in Battloid mode. I avoid toynami from now on. The only thing good from them was Voltron.

the main problem with toynamis alpha releases are the fit and finish. if they had at least made an effort in that regard, these toys would still be bad, just not that bad.

of course excluded the voltron as thats a fair good toy.

Edited by do not disturb

OK, I was finally able to take this thing out and spend some time with it. I'll cut right to the chase: It sucks. It feels like the Toynami toy in my hands. Well, that's not entirely fair. Some of the plastic seems to be of higher quality, but some of it almost seems worse. The tiny missile-bay hatch covers for example. Some of them are so thin that they start to bend when you try to open them, and I stopped pulling out of fear they'd snap.

The hands are truly terrible, just like the Toynami. Crappy painted plastic that will crumble if moved too much. The right hand on mine is so loose at the wrist it spins freely, and if you open the fingers too far the hinge pin starts poking out. Speaking of the right arm, mine is pretty much lame all around. The bicep doesn't slide out far enough and will not by any amount of force. The bicep swivel will not turn and actually feels like there is a square peg in a round hole or something, it's very strange. When I try to swivel it there is a ton of tension and the arm goes back into place like something is keeping it from moving.

What else? The head is loose and crooked, there are little chips and smears and imperfections all over the thing, the cockpit looks like someone painted it, poorly, with blue nail polish, the flaps that are supposed to snap together in the back in bot mode do not because one side has a round peg and the other side has an oval hole (what the hell??) - like a "o" and a 0"

Oh, and the front landing gear hatch...somehow it was assembled crooked, or molded crooked or something, because it will not close all the way so it's fluch with the fuselage. It sticks out about 1/4 inch and looks really shoddy.

Aside from those specific problems, the thing just doesn't look pretty in flight mode because few of the parts line up and lock together the way they should. This was a problem on the Toynamis and it's a problem here. The most glaring example of this on mine is the left shoulder/intake. I cannot get it to stay lined up with the rest of the thing so it sits crooked and looks absolutely terrible. If anyone knows how to fix this or can tell me what I'm doing wrong, please inform.

Overall I'm just happy NOTHING BROKE. Yet. It looks fine on display so it'll be an almost-adequate placeholder for whatever better Legioss toy comes along. If anything it inspires me to save up for the CMS. At this point though, I'm going to need to hear STELLAR reports on the QC of the CMS before I'll pay that much for it.

To anyone thinking about getting an Aoshima - if you're familiar with the Toynami and don't like it, I wouldn't bother with this one. Some parts are better, some parts are worse, most of it's the same. It's just simply not a good toy, at least not the one that I got - but then I wasn't expecting it to be. :mellow:

Oh...Oh GOD....you poor, poor bastard...13.gif

Are you sure you shouldn't see a crisis counselor for the brutal anal raping that you took at the hands of Aoshima/Toynami? 2.gif I mean, I know you said you weren't expecting it to be a good toy, but that's like being raped and saying "It's OK, I knew it was going to be a horrible experience beforehand." 35.gif

I got an awesome MPC Shadow fighter from Jasonc here in mint condition with everything even the white outer box for $48.61 shipped. After seeing those pics, I feel like I had an Angel looking over my shoulders when I went to him to buy it. (He opens all his up to make sure they aren't crappy, BTW) He told me he may offer a few more here soon, shoot him a PM. I know that he doesn't have any of the MPC Blue Alphas though...but then again, after your experience, I wouldn't blame you for never wanting another one, PERIOD.

Edited by Kyp Durron

I got an awesome MPC Shadow fighter from Jasonc here in mint condition with everything even the white outer box for $48.61 shipped. After seeing those pics, I feel like I had an Angel looking over my shoulders when I went to him to buy it. (He opens all his up to make sure they aren't crappy, BTW) He told me he may offer a few more here soon, shoot him a PM. I know that he doesn't have any of the MPC Blue Alphas though...but then again, after your experience, I wouldn't blame you for never wanting another one, PERIOD.

Yeah after a bum MPC Valk, a bum Alpha and now the super-bum Legioss, I'm pretty much done with Toynami's "high end" toys. I'll still buy a 1/100 here and there, and I'm contractually obligated to buy their entire Futurama line, but aside from that they can bite my shiny metal a$$. I have zero interest in their Beta (why would I when there is nothing worthwhile to connect it to?) and zero reason to buy their Ride Armor with MegaHouse and CMS on deck, so avoiding Toynami's Top Shelf offerings shouldn't be very hard.

Toynami's cyclone looks like those plastic models from Imai / Aoshima (very old series), cept that toynami will release them as completed toys instead of plastic model kits i guess.

seems like toynami and aoshima has some sort of deal between them, for the MPC legioss and these cyclones?

Edited by Shun

Toynami's cyclone looks like those plastic models from Imai / Aoshima (very old series), cept that toynami will release them as completed toys instead of plastic model kits i guess.

seems like toynami and aoshima has some sort of deal between them, for the MPC legioss and these cyclones?

That's not surprising, considering how much Toynami likes to borrow existing designs. Even their Morpher Alphas borrow heavily from the design of the smaller Gakkens, although in that particular case the Toynami product turned out better IMHO.

Of all the toys to pick the Morpher Alpha has got to be their most original to date. The little Gakken Legioss really has only that in common with the morpher that any legioss toy would have. Otherwise the Toynami is much more sophisticated.

Aoshima and Toynami do have a business relationship together. That much is clear. Toynami's MPC Alpha is essentially a model made into a toy.

Aoshima does that all the time. They released the Aliens drop ship and the power loader as toy versions of the old Halycon kits. Great quality though. I love my drop ships. I'm tempted to get their power loader but I got the giant Hot Toys version instead.

When the Aoshimas were first announced I thought that is what we were going to be getting... nice painted metal and plastic toy versions of the old imai kits. I would be interested in seeing what something like that would look like. Sure it would still be small, but at least it's proportions would be better IMHO.

Of all the toys to pick the Morpher Alpha has got to be their most original to date. The little Gakken Legioss really has only that in common with the morpher that any legioss toy would have. Otherwise the Toynami is much more sophisticated.

That's what I used to think, but after looking at the old Gakken closer I noticed a lot of similarities, mostly in how the transformation works and the proportions (for example in flight mode they both have a really elongated back section). I think Toynami wanted to make a cheap and simple-to-transform Alpha, were inspired by the design of the little Gakken, and improved upon it. The Alpha Morpher is easily my favorite Toynami toy to date. It's also, sadly, the best Legioss toy I own.

When the Aoshimas were first announced I thought that is what we were going to be getting... nice painted metal and plastic toy versions of the old imai kits. I would be interested in seeing what something like that would look like. Sure it would still be small, but at least it's proportions would be better IMHO.

I'm confused, are you saying you don't think the MPC Alpha looks just like the old model kit? They're practically identical with the exception that Toynami, for whatever reason, felt the front winglets should be rounded. Looks-wise I think Toynami did a stellar job... as they should, they actually bought the molds from the kit to design their toy. IIRC, they later resold the molds to Aoshima who then reissued the kit.

The MPC is a good *copy* of the old imai kit, but Toynami took several liberties with the imai design that caused it to become a rather unstable toy. Despite all the "added features" they felt they needed to put on, there is this general "softening" of all the edges of the toy and a subtle rescaling of other areas. If you see a pro done 1/48 imai Legioss (or even the sloppy one I own) next to a Toynami MPC they look similar but quite different in a lot of areas... mostly in all the areas Toynami decided to "improve".

If you own any of Aoshima's "toy from a model" toys like the Aliens dropships you'd see how close to the model they stay but how sturdy and well designed their updates and revisions are that create a quality toy. Those Aliens Dropships are really nice updates of what is really a sub par Halcyon kit. I was expecting the same from the Legioss.

And for the record I feel Toynami did a shitty job of "interpreting" the kit. They were more concerned with adding opening flaps and extra moving pieces that they overcomplicated a pretty straightforward design.

• 2 weeks later...
So...has anybody else purchased these or has it pretty much been concluded that these are junk?

If you really want to check out one, I suggest you buy one from BBTS. They have the lowest price for this thing and if you get a bad one you can ship it back to them (they'll mail you a paid UPS label) for a full refund or store credit. Just don't be surprised if you get one as bad or worse than the one I posted pictures of. Easily THE worst toy I've ever laid my hands on.

Just a little note here, I have ordered all three though BBTS and, while I imagine I too will be following in Eriku's footsteps and returning these at some point, I will be posting a full reveiw on my website with detailed comparison pics to Toynami's MPCs and close-ups of all the various flaws I locate. Sorry it took me this long to do it but I had to sell some toys off to make room for new ones.

First, I'm a newb and don't own any of these yet. I've been viewing and reading about the MPC Alphas since it's release. From what I can assess, the Toynami version (with Tlead/Beta) looks better than the CM model. Most have stated the Aoshima isn't any different with the exception of its brighter color hues and more missles (chest).

Quick questions:

1. If I had to choose a Scott, which would the better of two evils? I'd say the Toynami 2nd edition if I can find it.

2. Does the Aoshima version include the mini-cyclone accessory?

3. Judging from Jenius's old review (http://anymoon.com/blog/2006/11/12/review-1-toynami%e2%80%99s-mpc-alpha-volumes-1-3/), I assume that the odds aren't too bad as long as I am extremely careful, patient, and don't transform them much at all. Maybe buy one for each mode.

4. Overall which brand for durability. the Toynamis are almost gone except Ebay (sucks).

FYI: If it helps anyone... Imai and Toynami comparison pics...

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/toyz/mo...arison/pics.htm

Which are which? I hope the one on the right isn't the Aoshima. :unsure:

I want these and pray a Beta is made, because I am loving what I see. Thanks guys for any additional feedback.

You can tell which is the model by the front winglets. The Toynami version has rounded winglets. I still haven't gotten my Aoshima version in yet but word seems to be so far that they have even worse build quality than Toynami does. So, if you're averse to the CMs version, it seems your best bet is Toynami. Robotech.com has all of the Toynami Alphas except Scott's if you're looking to avoid eBay. I'm not sure what they go for on eBay though, I think they're $59.99 on RT.com. I did receive some Toynamis that were crappy before I even touched them but i'd say the majority are decent enough so long as you don't move the hands at all. 2nd Edition Scotts cost a lot on eBay and that's a scary purchase.

I can't speak to durability or QC from the pictures, but just looking at them, the Aoshima looks about 100x better than the Toynami.

I have a Stick one coming from BBTS. We'll see how that turns out I guess. <_<

I only plan on posing it on the shelf and rarely transforming it. If it's good enough for that I may order the other two and the Shadow from Toynami.

I can't speak to durability or QC from the pictures, but just looking at them, the Aoshima looks about 100x better than the Toynami.

I have a Stick one coming from BBTS. We'll see how that turns out I guess. <_<

I only plan on posing it on the shelf and rarely transforming it. If it's good enough for that I may order the other two and the Shadow from Toynami.

Keep in mind that the 'Aoshima' in that pic is a model kit made by Imai (as jenius said above) and NOT the toy that you have coming from BBTS. The Aoshima Legioss toy is the same toy as Toynami's, only with even worse QC.

From left to right (as we look at them)

1) Toynami MPC (not Aoshima)

2) Imai Model (reissued by Aoshima)

3) Toynami Metallic Superposeable.

OK. Thanks. Yeah the third is indeed the Toynami Superposeable. Hey Pat nice work on the IMAI!

I too would like to hear your thoughts once you get your Hutch. And jenius, more reviews are definitely welcome. We're all eager.

OK. Thanks. Yeah the third is indeed the Toynami Superposeable. Hey Pat nice work on the IMAI!

I too would like to hear your thoughts once you get your Hutch. And jenius, more reviews are definitely welcome. We're all eager.

The green and blue IMAI kits were done by Jung Chao. More pics here...

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/toyz/mo...egioss/pics.htm

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/toyz/mo...egioss/pics.htm

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/toyz/mo...peadas/pics.htm

Very nice stuff B)) .

Might pick one of these kits. Are they difficult to build?