Aoshima Variable 1/48 Legioss for 2007

Save

Got it.

Not overly unimpressed. I've definitely had worse toys. Nothing broken. Hands seem fine so long as I was careful. There are some paint issues, yes. Only transformed once to Soldier. I was really careful with it, thanks to all the advice on here. All in all I would not be afraid to switch it back to ArmoDiver or Figher mode.

Based on this it's entirely likely I will pick up some of the Toynami's from robotech.com in order to have a display of one in each mode.

Not bad at all. To me, it was worth the $65 from BBTS, YMMV. If you can get it for $40 it's DEFINITELY worth it, IMO.

I'm really sorry about your experience eriku. I agree, if it was as bad as what you describe, it's definitely not worth it.

Honestly, have there been a lot of reports about the Aoshima Legioss? I've seen a few people in this thread get 'unlucky' and I got 'lucky'...I'm just trying to figure out if that's enough of a statistical sample to decide 'luck' vs. 'unluck'...

Is there an overwhelming multitude of negative reviews out there that I missed?

If my statistics are right, you should get at least 1 good one.

:lol:

Seriously though, I'm curious to see how yours turn out. Based on my experience with the toy and BBTS, I'll probably order the other 2 this week.

Well, all in all it seems like Aoshima will sell out their Legiosses after all. Not bad for a toy everybody agrees is crappy.

Mine are here. I won't be able to look at them in detail until later though. I shook the green one's box though and no jingling so I'm hoping for the best. Now the only thing I'm worried about is what I'll do if my CMs Ride Armors show up while I've got these toys out for pictures... which review to publish first???

Mine are here. I won't be able to look at them in detail until later though. I shook the green one's box though and no jingling so I'm hoping for the best. Now the only thing I'm worried about is what I'll do if my CMs Ride Armors show up while I've got these toys out for pictures... which review to publish first???

Do the Legioss first. I think quite a few folks are seriously considering taking the plunge with these because of the crazy prices for the CM's A/B set (and also the less than stellar proportions). The more we know about these well-intentioned but possibly FUBAR'd toys, the better we can estimate the risks. :-)

Okay, it looks like the Legioss will probably be going first. Here's a very quick skinny after a few hundred pictures and one completed transformation of each toy to soldier mode I can say that I was pretty fortunate to get no real lemons with the possible exception of my Stick. Stick has that same backward neck piece that Eriku and Saverobotech had which hurts the toy in a bunch of ways because it throws fighter mode out of whack and makes the head sit wrong in soldier mode. I also have one unglued piece on my green legioss. Tons more observations coming in full review... I have a dozen or so more pics to take and then lots of editing to do.

Stick has that same backward neck piece that Eriku and Saverobotech had which hurts the toy in a bunch of ways because it throws fighter mode out of whack and makes the head sit wrong in soldier mode.
Crap, is that something that can be fixed with a screwdriver?

Crap, is that something that can be fixed with a screwdriver?

It doesn't look that way to me and it's attached to a mechanism with a lot going on. I think Saverobotech said it was fixable though you might want to wade through this entire section to find out what he had to say on the matter... and let me know where you find it! I'll be busy editing photos.

You'd be left with a plastic clip though that just dangled out in no man's land. It's not huge... but you'd notice it. I'll have a pic to follow though... to serve as a teaser for my review which is coming along quite nicely :)

Edited by jenius

Alrighty, if I don't get too drunk at dinner then the full review will be going up tomorrow evening. I'm afraid my Ride Armor review probably won't go up for a couple weeks though. The good news is I think you're going to like this next one -

Pic one - changes from the MPC, Kyp you can see the center attachment piece

Aoshima%20Improvements%201.jpg

Pic two - this is just a teaser pic for the review :)

Aoshima%20Stig%201.jpg

Alrighty, if I don't get too drunk at dinner then the full review will be going up tomorrow evening. I'm afraid my Ride Armor review probably won't go up for a couple weeks though. The good news is I think you're going to like this next one -

Pic one - changes from the MPC, Kyp you can see the center attachment piece

Aoshima%20Improvements%201.jpg

Pic two - this is just a teaser pic for the review :)

Aoshima%20Stig%201.jpg

Sweeet! That second pose looks just like the box art for the Japanese Gakken 1/35 :)

Very nice.

I have a red one coming this week.

I would probably lean toward the MPC. You can get it a few bucks cheaper and that center missile pod kinda throws me off. I suspect the Aoshima hands are more durable than the Toynami ones though so if you're planning to fiddle with the toy more the Aoshima one may prove a bit more durable. I wish I had a lot more experience with the Aoshima's to give better advice. Having only the one with the neck piece on backward demonstrate the arched back quality has my curiosity piqued on what difference I may have missed and if that isn't part of the reason why I couldn't push the wings in. Of all my MPCs I've only had one (out of about a dozen) seem at all loose at the hips so I'm not really sure how big of a benefit the ratcheting hips are (although they do feel nice). Man, it's a really really tough call. I would say display piece posed once or twice a year = MPC, display piece posed 3-5 times a year = Aoshima, toy = neither.

Nice review. Very thorough and great pics as always.

So since you can get the Rook and Lancer both in Aoshima and MPC versions from places that accept the returns, would you recommend the MPC, especially for a line-art stickler?

TIA

Based on his review, if I was still able to get a Green or Red MPC from a place that accepts returns, that's just what I'd do...but that's me.

Looks like I'll be sticking to MPC's. <_<

*Edit* Thank you very much for your in depth review, Jenius! :)

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Do you not own Mospeada?

I just watched that episode, didn't see a thing.

Yep, I own it, but I was a bit busy with the pics to throw the episode in also to try to verify that piece of info. Thanks for clearing that up.

Glad you all have appreciated the write-up! Drifand, you're probably making the right choice but it never hurts to watch the bargain bins. I got two Alphas for less than $40 and at that price you really can't go wrong.

Quick question for Jenius (or anyone else who has the Aoshima version):

From the review pictures, it looks like the upper legs on the Aoshima release are cast in plastic, whereas the MPCs were diecast. Is this correct, and does this also explain why the upper leg seam appears to be better "smoothed" on the Aoshima?

Grats for the review.