ROBOTECH DEFENDERS "VEXAR"

Shaorin

ROBOTECHVEXAR.jpg

ROBOTECHVEXAR2.jpg

i just recently happened across that, and it really got the sentimental waterworks flowing!!

it was my very first experience with a VF- Valkyrie of any kind!

back around 1988/1990, me and my mother used to visit my grandma often,

usually for hours at a time. while my mother visited my grandma,

i would be down in the finished basement visiting my grandma's husband's

teenage son from a previous marriage. he had a number of models

that he did an absolutely horrendous job on, among them the "ROBOTECH DEFENDERS VEXAR"

seen up above. one day he gave it to me. it did not last me long, as i was a destructive

child, and further, since he was such a poor modeler, it was most likely glued in the wrong places

and no longer transformable to GERWALK and BATTROID modes. nevertheless, that model left one hell of an impression on me,

and definitely ignited the spark of MACROSS fandom in me.

if anyone here has an unbuilt copy of this kit that they can sell, i think i'd be interested...

I'm pretty sure I have one (if not more) of these lying around. I went through the same thing a couple years back ;). Let me poke around when I get home today and see if I can find it for you.

Those versions of the Imai kits that Revell had gotten... yeah, brings back loving memories. Awesome kits to build. Remember driving my mom nuts with all the 100 & 72 scale kits i hung from the ceiling...

There are two of the 'Defenders' line I'd LOVE to get my hands on... 'Thoren' and 'Gartan' (Both originally mecha from 'Fang of the Sun: Dougram')

Oh, it'd be nice to get those again...

Yeah, I don't think I have a Thoren, but I did pick up a larger 1/48 scale version of the original Takara kit.

model232.jpg

I went a little crazy and bought multiples of either the Robotech versions, or the original source kits. :D

I remember building a CF version of this kit when I was probably 8 or 9 years old. My dad got the kit at Toy R Us so I have something to do during summer break. The plastic was greenish and the fit was poor. That's all I can remember. What a difference when compare to today's Bandai VF-25 kits.

ROBOTECHVEXAR.jpg

ROBOTECHVEXAR2.jpg

I had one of these as well in my youth....I cant help but shake my head and laugh even today at the fact that they put the legs on backwards

and didn't bother to change the picture on the cover art.(notice the ventral fin location is to the back of the legs instead of up front where

its suppose to be, and also notice the intakes are not facing forward either) :lol:

Blue

Vexar is an 80s love for me as well - my second Valkyrie kit ever. (The first was the Orbot kit - VF-1D.) I did a lot of research in what few color Macross Valk references I had to get their 'proper' colorways and decal placements. I was really proud of doing that!

Interestingly, and ol friend gave me a collection of his original Robotech kits from the 80s a couple of weeks back - all boxed and most only minimally started. Vexar only has one leg partially assembled, and only the foot is painted. (Got a Trigon/Drifand Dal, too, with only one painted cockpit part! W00t!)

post-1561-127600868625_thumb.jpg

I've been looking to re-acquire one for a while now, I'm really looking forward to building it, since my 80s ones are long gone.

Don't forget, the kit has been re-issued by Bandai, and is available at Hobbylink Japan for probably what the Robotech edition commonly goes for, and Revell went their own way with painting and decal instructions. (It's surprising how close Vexar is to the Macross original, compared to what they did with the rest of the pre-TV Robotech line.)

Edited by AcroRay

I had the Vexar and the red VF-1J also, can't remember what they called it. But after putting together models from the modern age, I find it hard to go back. I have an ancient IMAI Legioss Armofighter kit that I might still try. These are best for nostalgia only.

I had the Vexar and the red VF-1J also, can't remember what they called it. But after putting together models from the modern age, I find it hard to go back. I have an ancient IMAI Legioss Armofighter kit that I might still try. These are best for nostalgia only.

Hey Chowser,

I too had the Vexar and Axoid versions, my first however was the Orbot (camo VF-1D)

I never owned the Orgus version though.

Anyways here's a picture with the names of each.

Blue

post-12658-127607346366_thumb.jpg

i've got both the 1985 BANDAI reissue of the FOKKER -1S,

and the original 1983 IMAI edition of the fodder VF-1A,

and now, thanks to "Type R #126" the VEXAR as well!!

DSC_2165.jpg

i traded a collection of lesser TRANS FORMERS for several items, including both of these kits,

at a long gone toy collector's shop in PORTLAND,OREGON called "BILLY GALAXY" back around 2001/2002ish.

the 1S was completely assembled but unpainted,and the 1A was an unstarted kit.

i had to disassemble the 1S' engine/leg units, as the previous owner had the landing gear

backwards. i was bored one day, and started and mostly finished the 1A. never got around to

placing the decals, though. kind of lost interest after buying a YAMATO 1/60 v.2.

the YAMATO 1/60 II will always be king in my book, i despise "PARTS-FORMERS" especially parts-forming Valkyries.

but this thread has really got me looking back at these old kits now with wistful nostalgia...

Edited by Shaorin

I think the proportions on these look much better than Yamato's v1 or 2 1/60s. In fact, the Yammie v1 1/60 I've got reminds me of the Imai kit, built-up with some diecast added in the legs.

i should be receiving the VEXAR today. (thanks again, TYPE-R!!) it will be one half of my project

to recapture the object of my childhood memories.

the other half will be a copy of that YAMATO 1/60v.2 VF-1S unassembled kit.

i intend to purchase one, and paint it up in the VEXAR color scheme,

using all gloss tones like i remember that VEXAR of my childhood

being painted in (albeit very sloppily)

it'll be a few months off, as i need to get over to my local HOBBYTOWN USA

to pick up the proper colors in TAMIYA COLOUR,

and i never get up to our local big city but once a month at best...

when finished, the model should nest quite comfortably in

the ROBOTECH DEFENDERS box alongside the original unbuilt kit...

PICT1071.jpg

PICT1073.jpg

PICT1252.jpg

PICT1264.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

VEXAR & JETFIRE, my two very first VF-1S experiences! I had the red VF-1 kit as as well which I bought from a hobby shop in Burbank in the 80's with my Brother... damn we were young, wish I kept those, good times! B))

sure enough, it showed up yesterday!

ROBOTECHVEXAR6-13-10-1.jpg

i noticed that the kit was molded in 1984 by IMAI, evidently right before

the company went under and was consumed by BANDAI in 1985.

IMAI molded the parts in a crisp white, whereas BANDAI had molded

their first VF-1S release (which, as you can see, i have) in a light gray,

despite the model being depicted quite white in BANDAI's instruction sheet.

also take note that for some inexplicable reason, it took CEJI/REVELL

a 20 page black and white booklet to explain what IMAI and BANDAI managed to in a four page color sheet...

ROBOTECHVEXAR6-13-102.jpg

ROBOTECHVEXAR6-13-10.png

Edited by Shaorin

also take note that for some inexplicable reason, it took CEJI/REVELL

a 20 page black and white booklet to explain what IMAI and BANDAI managed to in a four page color sheet...

it's because white people aren't as good at building models. :p

Edited by anime52k8

it's because white people aren't as good as building models. :p

I bet it's just many many pages of warnings like:

Do not eat this part.

Do not stick this in your nose, ear, or mouth.

Do not glue to body.

If ingested part, call 1-800-X.

Do not put in blender.

... and stuff like that

Relevance of Zeta Gundam please? :p ....

(Just kidding)

heh, yeah, indeed. while the 1/72 VF-1 variables were somewhat complex kits for their day,

the 1/60 PG MSZ-006 is in entirely different dimension of complexity altogether.

it almost takes an engineering degree to assemble it properly...

Edited by Shaorin

Bleh... I hate Zeta's wave rider or all other transforming MS for that matter from Re-GZ to Arios, though ReZel is somewhat ok. Zeta MS-mode looks just fine as it is. I always felt they were trying to just capitalize on "transformation fever" started by another somewhat popular show about transforming jet fighters...

Congrats on adding the Vexar to your collection! It's a great artifact of a significant - if occasionally misguided - period of our otaku youths!

oh, one more thing;

does anyone have a partially built or loose, boxless, junk VEXAR or VF-1S kit

that they could part with? i've been thinking about not only

doing a VEXAR YAMATO VF-1S v.2, but also obtaining a second

1/72 VEXAR or VF-1S kit to build up...

Edited by Shaorin