Holy moley. If someone had told me that video was of an oversized KO of the MG Unicorn, I would have believed them. The only difference in the transformation that I spotted was the cheek plates staying attached (and no hip widening, but the reviewer might have just forgotten that step). It even had some annoyances of the MG, such as:
- Needing a tool to get the shoulder "lights" out.

- Front skirt armor pieces popping off.

- Knee extensions that don't want to lock.

I won't say I'm disappointed, exactly. I like the MG version a lot, and there's no point re-inventing the wheel. Its transformation scheme could be just fine if the engineering were tightened up in a few spots. But it is troubling to see the PG appearing to behave exactly like its little brother in some of those problem areas.

It is amazing just how much of that transformation is just the MG blown up. What I'm really bothered by is the fact that it looks like they haven't engineered a good locking mechanism for the knee (just like the MG) and that the locking mechanism for the torso is the exact same as on the MG. That torso mechanism is almost as bad as the knees. On the upside I'm glad it looks good in Unicorn mode with the split-horn part, and I'm super glad the cheeks don't have to parts-form. And, to be fair, a lot of the MG's transformation just works. The only problems I've had are the knees and that torso lock.

I'm sure there have been some subtle changes we won't notice until we have our hands on it. The whole thing is new, and has to accommodate a lot wider range of motion, plus even more Destroy Mode parts for that third form. Not to mention, with the extra size in the PG there has to be some way we can make the knees lock up more easily.

All that said, I love the way this one looks in Unicorn mode. I might just have to leave it in this pose all the time:

Zbrc8rd.png

Well something unrelated to unicorn I was out a lot yesterday....found some very interesting kits!

for 48.99 a pop I managed to score Crossbone Full Cloth, Build Strike and.................Double Zeta Gundam. Now Build Strike didn't surprise me for being there, but Crossbone and Double Zeta Gundam? Had to get 'em. Even got the Universe Booster on order arrives tomorrow.

So a friend of mine is a Double Zeta fan, she likes how big and chunky it is (......hah) so I've been dedicating the model to her. I forgot that when you're doing with a 15 year old kit, you have a tendency to wanting to paint so many little bits on there. So a big chunk of the ZZ is painted. And I'm adding some of the techniques I've learned from some of you guys into the build. But I also created some new paint techniques that really made the model pop and I'll show you guys when it's all finished.

Even though the ZZ has issues, I'm enjoying the kit actually a lot more than I did with the Zeta Gundam, kinda shocking to me.

Well something unrelated to unicorn I was out a lot yesterday....found some very interesting kits!

for 48.99 a pop I managed to score Crossbone Full Cloth, Build Strike and.................Double Zeta Gundam. Now Build Strike didn't surprise me for being there, but Crossbone and Double Zeta Gundam? Had to get 'em. Even got the Universe Booster on order arrives tomorrow.

So a friend of mine is a Double Zeta fan, she likes how big and chunky it is (......hah) so I've been dedicating the model to her. I forgot that when you're doing with a 15 year old kit, you have a tendency to wanting to paint so many little bits on there. So a big chunk of the ZZ is painted. And I'm adding some of the techniques I've learned from some of you guys into the build. But I also created some new paint techniques that really made the model pop and I'll show you guys when it's all finished.

Even though the ZZ has issues, I'm enjoying the kit actually a lot more than I did with the Zeta Gundam, kinda shocking to me.

Great deals! Looking forward to the pics, especially of the new techniques!

Hehehe she likes big and chunky... Double zetas...

Holy moley. If someone had told me that video was of an oversized KO of the MG Unicorn, I would have believed them. The only difference in the transformation that I spotted was the cheek plates staying attached (and no hip widening, but the reviewer might have just forgotten that step). It even had some annoyances of the MG, such as:

- Needing a tool to get the shoulder "lights" out.

- Front skirt armor pieces popping off.

- Knee extensions that don't want to lock.

I won't say I'm disappointed, exactly. I like the MG version a lot, and there's no point re-inventing the wheel. Its transformation scheme could be just fine if the engineering were tightened up in a few spots. But it is troubling to see the PG appearing to behave exactly like its little brother in some of those problem areas.

I guess we all kinda half-expected it to have the same problems (that knee gets me so mad!!!). The new (suspend your disbelief) "unchained" mode is something that I really like, and consider a plus over the MG. It's gotten quite expensive, though. 17k for the main MS, 12k for the LED kit, 9k for the FA kit... Plus shipping... And paypal conversion fees (these guys have such a great gig going!)...

I feel that it's a bit better overall of a transformation than the MG. It seems there is a better mechanism for the knee to connect to once it's out, sure getting the pyscho frame out is still going to be a pain though. Also for the chest unit the MG FA Unicorn had a better lock than the standard release so if that is just as good if not better than that we should be good. I am impressed with it, considering the way he held the kit at times during the video not too many parts fell off, everything was stable and he didn't have to go and reopen sections he had once completed which is something I have had to deal with a lot on both of my MG Unicorns. Also he's hoping that there will be a Banshee PG but this is a must buy and it sucks I have to wait weeks for it.

Edited by kanedaestes

It is amazing just how much of that transformation is just the MG blown up. What I'm really bothered by is the fact that it looks like they haven't engineered a good locking mechanism for the knee (just like the MG) and that the locking mechanism for the torso is the exact same as on the MG. That torso mechanism is almost as bad as the knees. On the upside I'm glad it looks good in Unicorn mode with the split-horn part, and I'm super glad the cheeks don't have to parts-form. And, to be fair, a lot of the MG's transformation just works. The only problems I've had are the knees and that torso lock.

I agree that the knee looked just as fussy as the MG, but you're seeing better than I am if you can tell that the torso lock is the same mechanism. I watched the part where he stretched the torso several times, and I couldn't tell what mechanism was used to lock it (although he points at both sides of the waist afterwards - if the lock is there, that's a totally new system).

Another thing I noticed on re-watch was that the presenter didn't seem to pull the front of the feet down to a new angle when he extended the heels. I'm not clear if that step is gone, or if the presenter just missed it (or maybe I missed it as the feet went briefly off camera).

Folks have probably seen this already, but there is also a video showing the change to "Unchained" mode. If there was any question whether this mode was part of the Unicorn design from the start, note how previously mysterious panel lines in the chest, shoulder, and upper arms suddenly come into play:

http://youtu.be/PdIhV0fsIhE

I guess we all kinda half-expected it to have the same problems (that knee gets me so mad!!!). The new (suspend your disbelief) "unchained" mode is something that I really like, and consider a plus over the MG. It's gotten quite expensive, though. 17k for the main MS, 12k for the LED kit, 9k for the FA kit... Plus shipping... And paypal conversion fees (these guys have such a great gig going!)...

If buying international stuff is going to be the norm, then you should really look into a Creditcard that do not charge a foreign transaction fee. . Use that card in your paypal payment and take the paypal cut back in your wallet.

Example: all Capital One creditcards do not charge foreign transaction fees.

I really like the " unchained" mode too. it's pretty much the normal PG open all panel mode. lol But I like that mode so it's a plus for me.

After looking at the Led setup, I can cross that off my list. looks like the Pg already come with the display stand, I might just get the PG and be done with.

post-600-0-33007200-1416790196_thumb.jpgpost-600-0-39210800-1416790204_thumb.jpg

That's it, after 24 hours of work, I finished.

I can see why the Double Zeta is ranked as just one of the worst MG's out there. You can't really do anything with it. Sure the bulky size is great, it's got a nice anime feel to it. It's very sturdy too which is odd cause I heard it's pretty floppity floppy. Any issues I did encounter like the MS canopy armor hatch always was coming off so I glued it. And one of t he thrusters kept falling off one of the calves so that got glued.

Other than that, I wish it had more stickers.....hell I wish there was an updated version!

But painting techniques I was discussing.....okay, if you get a very fine brussle brush at a hobby store, a pack of them runs like 3 bucks, and some dark sea grey from tamiya...just get a good amount on your brush and just dabble, don't spread just dabble anywhere that should have grey in the thruster vents. So everything you see that's grey was repainted except for the side center yellow areas of the torso, those were parts.

Everything else was hand painted.

All blue armor parts with panel lines got white paint. luckily there weren't a lot of panel lines so it all came out looking very nice.

I agree that the knee looked just as fussy as the MG, but you're seeing better than I am if you can tell that the torso lock is the same mechanism. I watched the part where he stretched the torso several times, and I couldn't tell what mechanism was used to lock it (although he points at both sides of the waist afterwards - if the lock is there, that's a totally new system).

Another thing I noticed on re-watch was that the presenter didn't seem to pull the front of the feet down to a new angle when he extended the heels. I'm not clear if that step is gone, or if the presenter just missed it (or maybe I missed it as the feet went briefly off camera).

Folks have probably seen this already, but there is also a video showing the change to "Unchained" mode. If there was any question whether this mode was part of the Unicorn design from the start, note how previously mysterious panel lines in the chest, shoulder, and upper arms suddenly come into play:

http://youtu.be/PdIhV0fsIhE

The torso uses the same single locking tab in the back that the MG does, he shows it clearly in the video. It's not too bad if the weight is over the back, but if the kit is even standing straight up, the MG's tab is prone to pop out and the torso collapses.

From the look of the video, I think he missed adjusting the toes. They look like they move into high-heel mode, but the presenter didn't show it on camera.

I like how they've used the panel design on the upper arms and chest to make the Unchained mode a thing, and I definitely like the breakup in the huge lower leg panels. It's a winner with me.

Hikuro - that is a lovely beast. Nice work! It's a shame if it can't move much, but it looks great just hulking around

SchizophrenicMC - I guess I'm just not seeing the moment you mentioned. I know exactly the tab you're talking about. It's a bad system, and it will be a shame if it performs as poorly on the PG as it does on the MG. It sounded like kanedestes might have been saying this was improved on the FA version, though. I don't know - mine is the "HD Color," and the slightest front-back moment will dislodge that tab in Destroy mode.

I have the FA and the Ver KA, the FA had some improvements to it I believe over the Ver KA and the HD color. Also in the vids the torso seems to hold up well. Also looking at the pics I would be more worried about articulation and all those exposed wires. They are just asking to be pinched if one is not paying attention. It's been awhile since my last PG, which was the disappointing 00 Raiser so it's been awhile since I have had to deal with wiring on a kit. I do have the Zeta, WZC, Strike, Red Frame, and RX-78 but they have all been in storage for years now.

Edited by kanedaestes

Hikuro - that is a lovely beast. Nice work! It's a shame if it can't move much, but it looks great just hulking around

SchizophrenicMC - I guess I'm just not seeing the moment you mentioned. I know exactly the tab you're talking about. It's a bad system, and it will be a shame if it performs as poorly on the PG as it does on the MG. It sounded like kanedestes might have been saying this was improved on the FA version, though. I don't know - mine is the "HD Color," and the slightest front-back moment will dislodge that tab in Destroy mode.

You can just barely see the tab under the backpack in this photo:

CIMG5295-e1416748953392.jpg

I have the OVA Ver. and I have a lot of problems with that tab. I'm hoping it's got a more positive locking in this larger scale. Of course, I was hoping the knee-boners would be less fiddly too. That's a disappointment.

The Gunpla withdrawl after finishing Char's Z'Gok was too strong. I couldn't wait for Wing Zero, so I ordered a couple of HGUCs. F91, Victory, and Victory 2 showed up today. I really wanted Crossbone, but while it's being sold by Amazon sellers, it's not being sold by Amazon yet, so I'll hold off. Maybe get it when Wing Zero is available. Then again, I'll probably buy a couple more HGUCs for stuff that isn't likely to get an RG any time soon.

So, I started the F91. On the one hand, it's kind of neat to see some of the innovations they're using in newer HG kits (my previous experience with HG kits are a handful of kits that are at least 10 years old, a Build Fighters kit that has some new parts, sure, but is basically an older kit, and a newer Gouf Custom). On the other hand, the lack of detail is very frustrating. I didn't feel like this was as big a problem with the Gouf, but on the F91, I've spent more time painting than snapping pieces together. Basically, there are a ton of white parts where the F91's verniers are molded into the part (skirt armor, shoulder armor, ankle armor, backpack thrusters) but are left it whatever color the part was molded in. So I've been painting a lot thin black lines and ringing them in yellow. And let me tell you, my painting skills suck, and the fact that the only yellow I can find (because there isn't an actual hobby store for 100 freaking miles) is sort of a canary instead of the orangy-yellow seen in the manual doesn't help.

As a sort of slap in the face, the kit comes with a number of black and yellow triangle decals. These go on the knee, back of the calf, beam shield emitters, and hip armor... which, is cool, except that none are included for the black and yellow triangles that are supposed to be on the front skirt armor. And, there are two triangles, I guess one for each arm, for the beam shield emitters, but there's actually three beam shield emitters. Two are "closed", and one is the extended part you use if you want to put the beam shield on. It kind of makes you wonder why they included the decals at all. Mostly, it's just making me long for an RG F91. I think it really reinforces the value of RG for me when I realize how every vernier on this thing would be, at minimum, two more pieces and every part would be molded in the correct color. My totally unpainted RGs look much better than any HG, even ones I've attempted to paint.

Thanks, BV. Now I feel even worse about my terrible lack of painting skill and the sloppy lines I put on F91.

In all seriousness, though, that's an amazing work.

I actually like the way syd does his review sans his rating system which is usually subjective. For example, the F91 kit, it scored 91.4% when it was clearly written and shown that there are lot of ugly stickers used that never line up properly, you can see a lot of white plastic that has lots of detail but not enough stickers to cover them.

but yeah, i get your point about RG, and that really makes me glad that there is a RG line, for just a few more dollar and you can get a lot of articulations and details. Heck, i dont even bother to put the stickers and it still look good.

Well, I finished the F91. No pics (for now, anyway), due to shame at my terrible painting. And laziness. Mostly laziness.

All of my complaints still stand (save one... I'm used to the symmetrical limbs of the SEED kits, and I forgot that F91's right arm actually doesn't have a beam shield emitter). In total fairness to the kit, it might be fair to say that my complaints about molded details and lack of correct colors instead of more parts are a negative against ALL HG kits compared to the incredible detail Bandai manages to work into the RG line. So, IMO, an RG version of a given mobile suit is always going to be vastly superior (and therefore, a better overall value) than the HG version of the same suit.

At the end of the day, though, we're expecting the 17th RG next month, but we've got nearly 200 HG kits (and that's just since they switched the current format). A lot of awesome mobile suits that don't have RGs, and probably won't for a long time, are available as HGs (other lines, too, but since my primary focus is RG I'd rather keep things on the 1/144 scale than go MG). Grabbing a favorite MS in the HG line means accepting the limitations of the line.

So, rather than compare the HGUC F91 to non-existant RG version, I think it's better to compare it to HG kits. Now, my previous experience with HG kits are the RX-78-3, Nu Gundam, and Zaku I Black Tri-Stars that I picked up back when there was a hobby shop in my area, that I think are probably from the HGUC line, but were built many years ago and I can't be sure; reissues of 15-year old Wing Zero EW and Deathscythe Hell EW kits; the HG Sengoku Astray from Build Fighters; and the definitely HGUC Gouf Custom and now F91. And based on that, well, I still think the Gouf Custom was the best of the bunch. Sure, it lacks the detail of an RG kit, but it was solidly engineered and looked fine without any paint. But the F91 would be second. There's actually a lot to like about the kit. F91's proportions are spot on, its joints have excellent range of motion, and the VSBRs on its back don't add too much weight (especially refreshing after building all those SEED RGs). It poses well, and it comes with plenty of accessories, including a beam rifle, beam launcher, a second, two fists for each hand (one regular that can be used to hold any weapon, and one molded with a trigger finger extended), two beam sabers, two beam shield emitters (one closed, the other "deployed), a beam shield, two sets of shoulder heat sinks (retracted and deployed) and two faces (regular and with an open vent). It's a good value, well-designed kit that just happens to rely on stickers instead of more parts in different colors, yet simultaneously not including enough stickers.

One other minor complaint would be the ankle armor. On almost every other Gundam kit I've built the ankle armor is connected by basically squeezing to contact points on the foot. In F91's case, though, it's connected via a ball joint on the back of the ankle. This joint is extremely loose, and the ankle armor likes to come off as a result.

If buying international stuff is going to be the norm, then you should really look into a Creditcard that do not charge a foreign transaction fee. . Use that card in your paypal payment and take the paypal cut back in your wallet.

Example: all Capital One creditcards do not charge foreign transaction fees.

I really like the " unchained" mode too. it's pretty much the normal PG open all panel mode. lol But I like that mode so it's a plus for me.

After looking at the Led setup, I can cross that off my list. looks like the Pg already come with the display stand, I might just get the PG and be done with.

thanks for the tips, man! i'll review my options over the holidays. i like my cashback plan a lot hehehe

good call, if you're sticking to the main MS. i couldn't muster that much self-restraint so i'm taking the maybe next year when it's cheaper route...

Guys!!!! Full Armor Extension Unit For RX-0 Unicorn!!!!

http://www.anime-export.com/product/22767

Someone wants to borrow a few bucks, or I sell one of my kidneys are in good condition .... :p

damn customs restrictions .... :wacko: I'm staying with the desire to buy ...

hahaha! i hear you, buddy! i'm not giving up a kidney for it though!

Well, I built Victory Gundam today. While F91 wound up being an all-day project due to the all the yellow-outlined black areas I had to paint, Victory was a walk in the park. Don't get me wrong, there are a few tiny details that could be spiffed up with some paint (I actually tried to work a little black around the cheeks), and if I had a Gundam marker I'd probably work in some panel lines (but I don't). But a straight build with just the few included decals results in a perfectly adequate Victory Gundam. Like F91, the engineering on Victory is quite good, including a some sliding of the armor over the knee joints that's almost RG-esque. The shoulder armor and cuff of the leg can restrict movement a little, but for the most part its got good range of motion. Some of the ball joints can pop out, but it's simple to pop them back in and overall the kit is so solid that it's almost like an action figure; a stark contrast from the more fiddly and delicate RGs.

I think the worst thing I can say about Victory is that the simplicity is bordering on boring. I think that's less are reflection on the model and more on the mobile suit it represents. Victory isn't the one-off, super mobile suit that the hero pilots at the end. It's the basic model he starts off in. It doesn't have awesome built-in weapons or a crazy winged backpack. As far as accessories go, it's got a beam rifle, beam shield, two beam sabers, and an extra wide beam saber blade. No extra fists, heads, bazooka, or anything like that. As if to make up for Victory's lack of goodies, they throw in the parts to make a non-transforming version of Victory's core fighter. That's also where they skimped a little, as no stickers were included for the sensor on the top of the head on the core fighter (although there is one for Victory's actual head) or the canopy on the core fighter's cockpit.

Oddly enough, the sort of makes Victory the opposite of F91. F91 had me thinking about much better it'd be with more parts to make a more detailed and color-correct version, and made me really want an RG F91. Victory, on the other hand, totally satisfies my need for a 1/144 version of the mobile suit. It's solid enough and correct enough that most of the visual improvement would probably just be more decals, and other gimmicks like a transforming core fighter that actually becomes part of the suit would likely just make it more fiddly. I'm going to go on record as saying that I don't care if Bandai ever makes an RG Victory Gundam; the HGUC version is good enough. Really, the only thing I think would improve Victory is a hinge on the butt-flap.

One other, minor thought... it'd have been nice if Bandai had included the parts to make the Victory Hexa head. Next year, Bandai is going to release an HGUC V-Dash, and it'd be nice have something else to make Victory and V-Dash a little more distinct than a different backpack.