I know there was this great clean up...

Seems like the board has gotten way too PC lately. With the closing of some threads, censoring of words, sometimes you can't even say the word "bootleg". Did MW get so big that there people watching us? Was there a special event that happened that caused the stricter administration of the place.

I remember there was someone that posted a link to Realdoll and I complained about the sexual nature of the site, yet nothing was done. So I thought well, that's cool, if the site has a relaxed attitude then so should I. But now that I have gotten use to certain freedoms, it seems like the attitude did a 180.

Was the cosplay thread really that bad. Maybe some folks got out of line but it seemd that the member were able to correct themselves. The line was pushed but it seemed like people aren't allowed to say the "wrong" thing once and a while anymore.

I know this is a place for info and shared interests, but are we to assume this isn't the place to have fun anymore also? :unsure:

I intend this thread to be for discussion not just whining... I know it sounds like I am. But I've been wondering about this for a while.

I know this is a place for info and shared interests, but are we to assume this isn't the place to have fun anymore also? :unsure:

Thats the observation I've made, but its just the last 3 months or so.

I don't notice moderator rudeness or anything, its just that I see good threads just dissapear. Which is even worse than locking them.

indeed, some of my not so nice words we're edited it out. :p maybe theres a younger group of people thats joining the forums and thats why there seems to be more policing. :unsure:

when i first joined here i was kind of psyched cause it was the first place where everyone was chill and no one was bitching and complaining about being PC or crying "what about the kids!" its cool i guess, but it does take the relaxed atomsphere away. :(

eh, theres always IM and PM which is what most people do when they come here anyway.

The level of Moderation changes with the numbers and content of posts. If everyone is acting cool, we're cool. If everyone isn't acting cool, we're not cool.

If some people really acted uncool about a thing then we may not act cool around that thing ever again.

The moderators may miss every inappropete link or a complain about one if it is posted in a topic. Don't bother with the report a Mod button. It's been abused too much. Send a PM and be specfic.

As for the cosplay topic the rules were layed out, with a few reminders and folks started to push it. Some topics due to their history need to have a Moderator checking it through out the day. If a moderator was unable or unwilling to watch the topic they might kill it. The amount of posts to edit greatly increased. On average I was editing 2 post per visit to that topic which is alot for one topic. Last time I would have had to edit the last two pages. That topic was drawing away too much of our time which we most liking were going to have to use for the Anime Expo posts that would soon be coming up. The topic was allowed under a few conditions and people we so concerned with having fun that started to forget things.

Reason why people might not be able to say the "wrong thing" as often is a simple case of abuse. Blame it on those who crossed the line way too often or misunderstood one allowed case of being "naughty" as an excuse of being "naughty" all the time.

Blame it on our numbers of members here. The Mods are here because they like Macross and want to read and discuss things about. This is a message board not a chat room or for better terms a play ground. Creating an environment for Discussions of Macross is first on our list. Day care is second. When we start to see that day care is taking too much resources way we pick up a bat and start bashing in baby's head.

:ph34r: " Stop fighting you two! Agent One get away from that door knob and pull up your pants! All of you now just sit done and shut up! I'm going to read you a story. You're all then gonna take a nap and I'm going to that bar across that street for a drink."

To add:

Closed and links to moved topics take up space. It's a mess to enter a forum and see in this order 3 pinned topics, 1 active topic, 2 moved topics, 1 active topic, 3 closed topics and 1 active topic.

Not so nice words were edited out before when we saw them. Someone decides to be funny and replace the words.

In the first year we had a lot of fun but as we got more people we had to change things, make up rules and all the boring stuff.

Pff...

an an Ebay link to a woman selling lingerie is valuable?

Hell, only the more vulgar words are filtered anyway. So if your posts are getting changed, maybe you should find other ways to express yourself. Swearing has never been really allowed here, and for a long time nobody really did it because we all knew... now we have 2000 members and more than a few potty mouths. ;)

Eh... the only thing I've noticed is a lack of posts due to the lack of information coming from Yamato these days.

As for the swearing.. it's just a lame crutch. Intelligent people can find better ways to communicate without dropping the F-bomb every other sentence. It makes the board look like a 6th grade bathroom wall if it's not moderated.

Waitaminute... the realdoll is used for sex? :p

I don't think there's that much swearing here... it's just that I personally hate the replacement of words... like when you watch Scarface on USA network...

I never messed anybody over in my life didn't have it coming to them. You got that? All I have in this world is my jewels and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand? That piece of crud up there, I never liked him, I never trusted him.

It's no biggie, I'm just wondering if it was done for a reason... I do think there's one member here that way too quick to use those words... but just one.

Yeah, I mean if someone goes all weird and starts cussin all over the place they'll look and sound as dumb as Tony Montana in the TV cut of Scarface. :)

Call me elitist about this board, but while we have 2000 members, I wouldn't care if 1900 people just disappeared and this was a hidden corner of the net... :)

The most iritating trend in the past was the locking of harmless slightly O/T threads... I mean at least everyone could look at it once locked and smile. Now the threads just get deleted. That sucks!

NOW, the member who is iritated has nothing to refer to if he or she wants to ask that same mod to take a second look at, or even ask the other mods.

NOW, the member who is iritated has nothing to refer to if he or she wants to ask that same mod to take a second look at, or even ask the other mods.

We mods try not to step on eachother's toes. Its frowned upon to reverse another mod's decision so we try to avoid it. Shawn trusts all of us and our judgement with his board, but he also knows that we're all different... brought together by the BURNING PASSION OF FIRE BOMBA... oh wait.. Macross World.

Oh, and Mr. Jaquish, I KNOW that you KNOW that if we let the little things slide... and just lock them then the board will be cluttered with locked threads. Also... if we let one thing go... that will just give people more ammunition(albeit weak ammunition) to throw at one of us when we lock the threads of people with too much time on their hands, a chip on their shoulder, and verbal diarhea...

Oh, and Mr. Jaquish, I KNOW that you KNOW that if we let the little things slide... and just lock them then the board will be cluttered with locked threads. Also... if we let one thing go... that will just give people more ammunition(albeit weak ammunition) to throw at one of us when we lock the threads of people with too much time on their hands, a chip on their shoulder, and verbal diarhea...

Mr. Daniels only calls me that when I've been bad... :ph34r:

I dunno, thought your respons was good. Some pretty funny stuff gets locked... I usually get a kick out of most locked threads. I still want you guys to quit deleting.

Mr. Daniels only calls me that when I've been bad... :ph34r:

I dunno, thought your respons was good. Some pretty funny stuff gets locked... I usually get a kick out of most locked threads. I still want you guys to quit deleting.

LOL

Its because I'm posting from work. YAY!

Too bad I can't get any messengers on this machine but ICQ2Go <_<

Oh and its Mr. Roger Smith when I'm at work. They're worried people in my current line of work will get hurt or somethin by crazy people. :D

EXO, basicallly we calls em likes we sees ems...

If things get too crazy, we buckle down. If things are chill... we relax a bit. But we've said millions of times(by now at least...) that we're SERIOUSLY running the place like Shawn likes(except when we get really lax, but Shawn's so busy. . . ;) ) If Shawn had the time, he'd be a lot more harsh as a mod/admin... like seriously... I've seen Shawn mod(at least since we first started using Ikonboard in December of 2000... damn... I've been here a while...but I ain't no AFM dude...)

so,mod roy,can we still have threads like the cosplay 1 as long as everybody keeps cool about it?

i really enjoyed the non-bs parts of that thread.i'm a guy & i like to check the cuties.i'm sure the ladies on this site feel the same about the male cosplayers too.i feel that the occasional thread like this 1,helps us all relax a little & interact with other users in a little-less serious way than we do everyday.ofcoarse,good taste should always be observed,but will i get reprimanded if i slip the occasional cosplay eye-candy in my threads to break the monotony? what about a new thread about cosplay after otakon? i was thinking of doing 1,is this cool,or should it be avoided? i like it here,so i'd like to know the parameters before there's a problem.thank you mod roy for lendin' your ear to my query.(insert old asian bowing smilie here)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I`ve been walking on eggshells myself with the figure pic thread that I started. I contacted a mod to get better guidance and decided not to post most of my pics.

Although the intent of my pics is to show Macross related humor, the hentai aspect might be all some see.

And if I post some gross pics, someone else might post some grosserer pics in response. So I try to restrain myself.

You know, it's interesting. For the past year or so, I have felt that MW has been losing a lot of its feel. But recently (and maybe it's just me), some of that old-tyme feeling seems to be returning. Sure, there's still an overabundace of useless "PC-ness", but MW seems to be becoming a little more cohesive. Now, if we could just get the "longest thread" back, all would be right with the world. :D

I don't think the longest thread is coming back. Even though it was cool, it became a big headache as it became our surrogate "battleground." The mods aren't about to give us another set of lists to tilt at (the HG thread's been problematic enough for that).

Ahh, the Longest Thread. That was a fun place to visit, until it got abused by a few members intent on upping their post tally.

I don't think too much has changed around here. The only change for me is the bigger MW gets, the less number of member names I recognise so sometimes it feels like you're standing in a crowded shopping mall rather than hanging out in a bar with the usual suspects.

• 2 weeks later...