U.S.Navy learns from QUAKE

That is definitely interesting. Killing in extremely quick ways, or being cooked by a microwave from the inside out slowly seems very interesting. I hope this is a technology we decide not to share. :angry:

U.S.Navy learns from QUAKE

Aw, damn. I thought this would be a topic about the Navy circle-strafing the enemy while jump shooting. <_<

No no... I am working on THAT.

The last few paragraphs talk about what IMHO is the real reason--speed/range. The DDX will likely be even "fatter" than the Burke class, which will cause severe problems if it retains the Sprue/Tico/Burker propulsion system.

Fat ships=good for carrying lots of ammo, systems, and weapons, but bad for speed and range.

Of course, if you just make nuclear ships, you've got all the power you could want. :)

One of the big "likely" uses for electromagnetic stuff is for catapults. Steam catapults take a lot of steam from the main plant, and are easily damaged in battle (break a steam pipe, and it's done). It's much easier to repair/reroute electrical power. If a railgun can fling a shell, an EM captapult can fling a plane off the deck. :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

One of the big "likely" uses for electromagnetic stuff is for catapults

The US Navy is already working on this. I live about 20 minutes from Lakuhurst Naval Air Engineering Station where they are currently testing an electromagnetic catapult. I wish I had saved a newspaper article on this subject that appeared in my local newspaper about two months ago.

For those that are interested, here's a link listing the projects under developement there.

http://www.lakehurst.navy.mil/nlweb/alre-details.asp

Edited by Beltane70

You guys aren't getting the point. Ammo and "Shell" aren't concerns with a railgun. This is a purely kinetic energy weapon.

The ammunition for this thing will be nothing more than small metal spike or triangle that is blasted into the atmosphere and comes back down to earth at like Mach 6-8 and slams into the target. Purely by kinetic energy, it will obliterate everything in a huge radius without having to pack any payload or chemical explosive.

And you don't need Nuclear. The concept of the railgun ships is that they can completely shunt all power from the engines to the electrical system of the railgun. Current ships cannot divert power from the engines and propulsion in this manner. So it's like Star Trek. Warp Power to the Phasers Scotty! Let's just hope that it doens't cause the Protoculture engines to vaporize on single use. I don't think U.S. Navy warships can turn into modular giant robots just to fire the main gun. :-)

Edited by ComicKaze

You guys aren't getting the point. Ammo and "Shell" aren't concerns with a railgun. This is a purely kinetic energy weapon.

The ammunition for this thing will be nothing more than small metal spike or triangle that is blasted into the atmosphere and comes back down to earth at like Mach 6-8 and slams into the target. Purely by kinetic energy, it will obliterate everything in a huge radius without having to pack any payload or chemical explosive.

What is YOUR point?

And you don't need Nuclear. The concept of the railgun ships is that they can completely shunt all power from the engines to the electrical system of the railgun. Current ships cannot divert power from the engines and propulsion in this manner. So it's like Star Trek. Warp Power to the Phasers Scotty! Let's just hope that it doens't cause the Protoculture engines to vaporize on single use. I don't think U.S. Navy warships can turn into modular giant robots just to fire the main gun. :-)

And where is the engine getting all its power from?

A nuclear ship has the power of the atoms to generate all the power it could possibly want. All it has to do now is to find a way to efficiently distribute that power. This article is more about that than rail guns or microwave.

I don't think U.S. Navy warships can turn into modular giant robots just to fire the main gun. :-)

[Navy Spokesmen] Uh, here is our newly developed Macross-class battlecruisers, we got the idea from a cartoon.

-NOS

Now that would be funny.

Imagine the look of the enemy when the bow of one of the ships opens up and the energy buildup starts. :lol:

Seriously though. New toys for the Army, new toys for the Navy, start mass-producing the F-22 already!

Edited by Anubis

If a railgun can fling a shell, an EM captapult can fling a plane off the deck. :)

This gives me the image of an F14 flipping end over end. Which also entertained me for a few minutes. anyway, The railgun will not fire straight up and decend on a traget, because you can not get electrical equipment which can withstand spontaneus combustion from friction with the atmosphere. It other words, they cant put a guidance mechanism in it, as well as fins/etc. This will almost certainly be a direct fire weapon with a long effective range and kinetic force. The comment "Our point is that if you put millions of joules of energy onto a traget something is going to happen" seems like a reasonable explanation of this weapon. Its meant to rip 30 foot pieces of metal off ships.

The railgun will not fire straight up and decend on a traget, because you can not get electrical equipment which can withstand spontaneus combustion from friction with the atmosphere. It other words, they cant put a guidance mechanism in it, as well as fins/etc.

From what I've read in Popular Mechanic (or was it Popular Science. Gah..) they do intend to do atleast suborbital trajectories. It likely won't be as difficult to heatshield such a shell, due to its extremly small size and, thus, lower surface area for friction.

:ph34r:

Hey anyone remember "Starblazers" or Space Battleship Yamato's wave motion gun - didn't it have some flywheel/dynamo to build up energy and some coupling had to be disengaged from the main engines and re-engaged to the front gun before firing?

Maybe there are some anime fans at the Navy :p

The railgun will not fire straight up and decend on a traget, because you can not get electrical equipment which can withstand spontaneus combustion from friction with the atmosphere. It other words, they cant put a guidance mechanism in it, as well as fins/etc.

From what I've read in Popular Mechanic (or was it Popular Science. Gah..) they do intend to do atleast suborbital trajectories. It likely won't be as difficult to heatshield such a shell, due to its extremly small size and, thus, lower surface area for friction.

:ph34r:

it can't be too small, or it won't have enough mass to cause the intended damage (light is hitting you right now at, well, lightspeed...but because it has no mass, you haven't been reduced to a pile of goo)...too much mass and the range becomes limited as gravity effects the shell (technicaly it is still a shell...main difference is in how it is fired)...and way to much mass, well then even a rail gun can experience some recoil :lol:

Smaller shells have less surface area for friction...and they also have less surface area for built up heat to dissapate too...but still the shell is only going about mach 8...not the much faster mach 18+ that small meteorites burn up at when flying through the upper atmosphere ... so heat shouldn't be much of an issue anyway

Edited by MSW