End of the Jolly Rogers Tomcats, final deployment.

http://www.almansur.com/jollyrogers/tomcattwilight.htm :(

The Black Knight's new Bugs' colors aren't nearly as cool as the previous few F-14 schemes, let's hope the Jolly Rogers don't follow suit.

Interesting note: I've got personal pics of VF-103 with JFK lettering back in July, so I think they've been "home" for quite a while.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Does anyone know how to strech this onto a flat circular plane?

In wother words, so that you are looking straight at it instead of at the lower right corner.

I'm trying to make this into a plaque and I need photoshop help.

Thanks in advance

Scot

post-26-1087571218.jpg

Very sad news for F-14 fans everywhere. Somehow, the tomcats had a mystique that is sorely absent in the super hornet. They will be missed. :(

I second that.

The crying picture as well.

Very sad news for F-14 fans everywhere.  Somehow, the tomcats had a mystique that is sorely absent in the super hornet.  They will be missed. :(

I second that.

The crying picture as well.

Make that three.

Very sad news indeed.

According to a recent defence paper even the D-model will get an early retirement aswell

DEFENSE DAILY 16 JUN 04

>

> Tomcat Transition To Super Hornet Complete By Fall '06, Admiral Says

>

> By Lorenzo Cortes

>

> The Navy will successfully retire the remainder of its Northrop Grumman [NOC]

> F-14 Tomcat fleet in fall 2006 thanks to an accelerated schedule that also

> includes introducing Boeing [bA] F/A-18E/F Super Hornet fighter-bombers

> earlier, according to the Atlantic Fleet's air forces chief.

>

> "One of the things that we have been able to do as a result of some good

> production with our industry partners with the success of the multiyear with

> the E and F is we were able to look at and make a decision to accelerate the

> transition of the last of the F-14 squadrons to the F/A-18E/F," Rear Adm. Jim

> Zortman, commander of Naval Air Forces Atlantic, said last week during the

> Association of Naval Aviation's 2004 convention in Vienna, Va. "That is taking

> place right now,

> and by fall of '06, we will have made that transition. ...

Edited by Prowlus

I'm sure people reacted the same way when VF-84 switched from F-8 to F-4s or from F-4s to F-14s. You can't let sentimentality stand in the way of progress. The F-18 is a perfectly good plane. Maybe not the coolest, but perfectly adequate. It's my opinion that the pilot is more important than the plane anyway. The AVG tought us that in WW2. ;)

Does anyone know how to strech this onto a flat circular plane?

In wother words, so that you are looking straight at it instead of at the lower right corner.

I'm trying to make this into a plaque and I need photoshop help.

Thanks in advance

Scot

I know poo about image editing. Maybe you can use this for comparison.

post-26-1087589940.jpg

I'm sure people reacted the same way when VF-84 switched from F-8 to F-4s or from F-4s to F-14s. You can't let sentimentality stand in the way of progress. The F-18 is a perfectly good plane. Maybe not the coolest, but perfectly adequate. It's my opinion that the pilot is more important than the plane anyway. The AVG tought us that in WW2. ;)

I agree with you... but I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't be modernizing our weapons.. just that it's sad to see this bird go... thanks to a certain movie and an anime plane that bears resemblance to it... many of us have fond memories of it...

I agree with you... but I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't be modernizing our weapons.. just that it's sad to see this bird go... thanks to a certain movie and an anime plane that bears resemblance to it... many of us have fond memories of it...

I get what you're saying. I guess I jumped the gun. When ever f-14s and 18's are mentioned in the same thread it usually turn into an f-18 hatefest. After thinking about it I'm glad they're getting F-18s. VF-84 are the Jolly Roger Tomcats I grew up with. VF-103 have always sort of come off as posers to me. Now they can make thier own legacy in thier own planes as VFA-103. ;)

I get what you're saying. I guess I jumped the gun. When ever f-14s and 18's are mentioned in the same thread it usually turn into an f-18 hatefest. After thinking about it I'm glad they're getting F-18s. VF-84 are the Jolly Roger Tomcats I grew up with. VF-103 have always sort of come off as posers to me. Now they can make thier own legacy in thier own planes as VFA-103. ;)

its not really a hatefest. It is more of "why is the navy settling for less?"

I am very sad to see the skull and bones tomcats go and am sure the hornets will not loook as good with the skulls. THe F-18F, your right IS a good airplane but not the IDEAL plane to replace the tomcat. TO me only tomcat 21 OR a New stealth swing wing large multirole strike navy fighter can EVER ideally replace the tomcat and outdo it. The F-14 was able to outdo the F-4 in every respect. The F-4 2was not able to outdo the sader so its like this era is a deja vu of the era when the phantom replaced the crusader.

Yeah, perfectly adequate. Yup. Thats exactly what the US needs for air supremacy. Adaquate planes.

the variety of aircraft on a typical carrier deck just shrunk even more . I remember when a carrier deck had squadrons of F-8s, A-4s, F-4s and A6's all crammed into one boat now after the turkey and prowler goes, the F-18 will be the only fast jet combat craft to grace the decks for a long time to come (especially if the F-35 is gonna be inevitably delayed)

avtomc_5.jpg

a fitting picture to an aurcraft reaching the sunset of its career

Edited by Prowlus

History channel is running a program on the history of the f-14... it ends with a happy ending, saying how detractors said the f-14 was finished back in the 80's but how upgrades kept it going another 2 decades and how the f-14 will keep flying well into this new century.

if only...

:(

Yeah, perfectly adequate. Yup. Thats exactly what the US needs for air supremacy. Adaquate planes.

Yes very good point. For defense and supremacyyou need the BEST not somethinbg that will "oh yea this will do". And hell someone had to crash the party and represent the tomcat! and that person is ME. Again not all planes would be in maintenance hangers and also not all planes in a fighter squadron launch up all at once it is at intervals. Also a TU-126/95's ASM's have longer ranges than the AMRAAM does so with that in mind by the time the super bug gets a positive lock on on the bomber the ASM from the bomber will have already been launched. And its just a time to play catch up to all the ASM's. Is this possible? YES it is. It isn't "oh no shin that was uh yea like 80s threatrs" as long as the very threat EXISTS no matter HOWUNLIKELY it may sound there needs to be a good defense against that. And a lot of you may say "oh well a tomcat is uhg ytea kuz uh phoneix missle oh yea phioniex": but see the tomcat is no way in hell like a F111B or a missleer. Not to mention the speed of the tomcat is faster than the superbug and most importantly RANGE.

Sorry for making another antihornet post but lets be realistic tomcats ROCK :lol:

Yes very good point. For defense and supremacyyou need the BEST not somethinbg that will "oh yea this will do". And hell someone had to crash the party and represent the tomcat! and that person is ME. Again not all planes would be in maintenance hangers and also not all planes in a fighter squadron launch up all at once it is at intervals. Also a TU-126/95's ASM's have longer ranges than the AMRAAM does so with that in mind by the time the super bug gets a positive lock on on the bomber the ASM from the bomber will have already been launched. And its just a time to play catch up to all the ASM's. Is this possible? YES it is. It isn't "oh no shin that was uh yea like 80s threatrs" as long as the very threat EXISTS no matter HOWUNLIKELY it may sound there needs to be a good defense against that. And a lot of you may say "oh well a tomcat is uhg ytea kuz uh phoneix missle oh yea phioniex": but see the tomcat is no way in hell like a F111B or a missleer. Not to mention the speed of the tomcat is faster than the superbug and most importantly RANGE.

Sorry for making another antihornet post but lets be realistic tomcats ROCK :lol:

Come on now, seriously. There are no bombers. All the Tomcat has been doing for the past 10 years is drop bombs and take photos, two jobs it was never intended for. I think you see through rose tinted glasses. Sure the Tomcat rocked in it's day, but it's day is over. I'm no Hornet lover but it's a good plane all the same and if it gets the job done for less of my tax dollars that's good enough for me. The reality of logistics is that the older the airframe gets the more maitenace hours are required to keep it flying. It's time to put the old war horsees out to pasture.