The Variable VF-2SS w/o armor project

Jarrod

Truly great work Jarrod..and quick...Im impressed...please keep us in the loop as you do more! Can it do gerwalk yet? I have the MacII source book if you want to see some pictures (just in case you dont have the lineart)

Anyone who does not have the upgrade kit...I know Rob is getting the last of them...if your interested drop MonkeyNugget a PM while you can.

Great job Jarrod! But unless a serious "How to build a non/armored VF-2SS for Dummies" manual is created. I doubt I would be able to do that to my VF-2SS. (I don't think my current skills are up to par....) So I agree with everyone else as far as a recast goes, that would work for me. This would be great if I could bring one to the northern CA bayarea meet to show everyone else. Hope it happens!

Well guys, there's no way I could recast my parts as they are, I built them right onto the backpack, and they are now an integral part of it. However, if someone was willing to send me an unused backplate and wing peice, I believe I could make a recastable attachment...BUT I wouldn't be able to recast it myself, if it's even possible(it would be rather delicate, good sized plate only 1mm thick) On top of that, everyone would have to alter their own backplate, or I could alter one and that one could be recastedk, plus I altered the the center backpack part(the one that flips up in battroid mode), and the tailfin pylons...so we're talking alot of new parts. But I'm up to it if someone else wants to help.

Jarrod

Considering the thickness and size of the parts, Im not sure how much of what Jarrod scratch built could be recast....I was all into it...but then hearing his description...well..Im not sure its plausible.

Jarrod...would you consider writing up some instructions and doing some paper templates for the parts you scratch built? It might be easier, and I for one would buy a set.

Considering the thickness and size of the parts, Im not sure how much of what Jarrod scratch built could be recast....I was all into it...but then hearing his description...well..Im not sure its plausible.

Jarrod...would you consider writing up some instructions and doing some paper templates for the parts you scratch built? It might be easier, and I for one would buy a set.

Yeah, I really didn't think it would work. However, that template idea isn't so bad....I'd still need some new parts to start with tho. Given that, I could probably do a step by step instructional post...how and where to cut the peices, etc. possibly even make some/most of the parts myself(it's really actually quite simple to just cut and glue some styrene once there's a pattern). There would have to be enough interest tho, not to sound selfish or anything, but I'm not going to spend of all my time producing this if in the end only one other person gets any use from it.

Jarrod

• 4 weeks later...

I for one would love to see a step-by-step of your amazing custom... thats really great work!! What happened to the rear rudders when you fold back the two packs on either side of the backpack? Exactly what extra pieces were needed - which recasts was required for this transformation? I only have one of the Bandai kits - and may consider your process (someday... :p ) but you did a really fantastic job creating the hinges.

Kudos, lets see some more pictures please.

Wow, I thought this thread had pretty much died! Anyway I'm still up for the step by step, but like I said I'll need a new kit and recast parts to use.(Dax, PM me if you're serious about providing the parts).

wmcheng:

The tailfins fold flat against the back underneath the backpack, I have a pic showing this earlier in the thread(1st post on 2nd page on my view). I'm using all the recast parts to make the normal Valk from Rob's kit, altho the tailfin pods and backpack were altered. As for extra parts, do you mean for transformation or for the custom? I added a number of custom parts to allow the wings to fold away and for the backpack transformation, but that's all. Everything else transforms like the original kit.

Btw, for those interested the project is at a standstill right now, I've done some puttying and clean-up, but otherwise no new work has been down. I've got about 3-4 projects I'm switching between right now:)

Jarrod

I'm not understanding the difference between the regular bandai VF-2 and Jarrod's custom. Can someone sum it up for me?

The Bandai VF-2SS is the same as Major Nexx's armored Valkyrie, Jarrods custom is made from a recast resin kit (by Monkey Nugget) that allows you to make the kit without the armor. Normally the unarmored kit will not transform, but Jarrod modified his so that it will transform. :)

• 1 year later...

Man, I remember this thread long ago and thought, wow, if this could get done and duplicated, I'd be totally in. Glad to see there's still life in the thread. So, is this an operation from the reissued kit of the VF-2SS or is it from another kit? This thing looks amazing. I'd love to see updates.

Man, I remember this thread long ago and thought, wow, if this could get done and duplicated, I'd be totally in. Glad to see there's still life in the thread. So, is this an operation from the reissued kit of the VF-2SS or is it from another kit? This thing looks amazing. I'd love to see updates.

looks like the reissued bandai 1/100 kit to me. :huh:

blackaces actually has several for sale right now.

Blackaces VF-2SS Sale

im actually not a huge fan of the vf-2ss but im loving this mod. i was hoping to try something similar for the vf-1 kit bash that i plan on doing later. i like this mod since it has a ball joint for greater posability. hope this project gets finished.