anime recommendations

arrow

Well first, the checklist of all the Macross shows available.

SDF Macross - AnimEigo

Do You Remember Love? - no unedited, legit release

Flashback 2012 - No legit release

Macross II - Manga

Macross Plus - Manga

Macross 7 - No legit release

The Galaxy is Calling Me! - No legit release

Dynamite 7 - no legit release

Other shows to look for:

Genesis Climber MOSPEADA - ADV

Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross - ADV

Megazone 23 - ADV

Any Universal Century Gundam shows

Any Alternate Universe Gundam shows (imho not nearly as good)

I haven't seen it myself, but from the summaries I've read and from what people have said, Crest of the Stars seems pretty good.

08th MS Team is also good.

Crest of Stars is excellent, if you like epic stories with strong character developement. The action isn't the high point though, and it really doesn't have transforming mecha, or mecha at all really. I can name tons of excellent anime that don't have much in the way of mecha.

SDF Macross - AnimEigo

Do You Remember Love? - no unedited, legit release

Flashback 2012 - No legit release

Macross II - Manga

Macross Plus - Manga

Macross 7 - No legit release

The Galaxy is Calling Me! - No legit release

Dynamite 7 - no legit release

Umm here is a Legit Release of the DYRL Perfect Movie Edition on DVD.

Macross DYRL?

As well as a Legit Release of Macross 7 The movie

M7 Movie

And Dynamite 7

D-7

As well as legit copies of the M-7 series are available there too.

Edited by The_Major

Oh, Operatic, I should mention Herlock Saga (released as Harlock Saga) wich is based off of Wagner's Ring Opera. Still, no mecha action. Though it's far from my favourite Matsumoto work, it is still awesome when compared to most other anime.

Speaking of wich, Keith, you keeping up with Outside Legend, The Endless Odyssey? It is quickly becoming my favourite Herlock yet!

Oh, Operatic, I should mention Herlock Saga (released as Harlock Saga) wich is based off of Wagner's Ring Opera. Still, no mecha action. Though it's far from my favourite Matsumoto work, it is still awesome when compared to most other anime.

Speaking of wich, Keith, you keeping up with Outside Legend, The Endless Odyssey? It is quickly becoming my favourite Herlock yet!

Oh yeah, can't wait for the last volume (why 2 months!!!). Only Matsumoto could make something as idiotic sounding as "Noo" cool :) Of course he also made me tolerate Daft Punk with Interstella 5555, truly a great craftsman.

As far as Harlock reccomendations go, I'd say go for Arcadia of My Youth before Harlock Saga. Its a lot more well rounded (I love Matsumoto, but Harlock Saga & Maetel Legend were made while he was still cold, he's warmed up a lot more now with Gun Frontier & Outside Legend, hopefully Great Galaxy will blow away everything that's come before).

My favorite work is still GE:999 though, pure perfection.

I keep hearing Legends of the Galactic Heroes. Long space naval drama series with a more realistic tone. TV and OVA series.

Radd and all...

I saw an ad for a re-release of Captain Harlock and Space Battleship Yamato in Japan in July or so. 45,000 YEN for each boxed set. I hope these will be remasted! Which order should I see all of Harlock's series? There almost seems to be as much shows as Gundam!

Edited by Neova

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is one of my alltime favourite shows. It's really great. Very heavy with the plot and characters, what action there is isn't your slam, bam mecha and short skirts type. I'd probably describe it as an intellectual's anime. About the closest anime I could compare it to is Crest of Stars.

As for those re-releases, you mean of the tv series? I definitely would love to pick up the original Herlock television series. Unfortunately Geneon is apparently having poor sales with their classic titles like Lupin, so they might not be so keen on picking up another old show. Maybe AnimEigo will do the honours.

As for Yamato. I keep hearing that the company that brought out the Yamato movies and the Starblazers series is in negotiations to bring out the uncut Yamato series. From what I've been told, that has been their goal from the inception of the company, but something is holding them up. Keith probably knows more about that.

Nope, haven't heard anything about Voyager releasing Yamato in its original form (aside from the movies). Doubt they ever will either, there's nothing that would hold them up from doing so, they just prefer to release starblazers. Besides, all their releases have been VHS dumps, Yamato would be much better off with another company, or in this case for those on the fence, PICK UP THE HK'S!

Once again, I'd like to suggest Detonator Orgun. Though it may be an older title, it's still a good mecha show that avoids some of the standard pitfalls of most shows, and even has one helluva plot twist in the middle.

It's currently out on dual-language DVD, but the Japanese language track is much, much better than the English version.

I'm gona go on & say ESCAFLOWNE on this one :) Its not really like this stuff from whatI can tell but its got mechas, dragons, fantasy, & sword fighting :) With a bit of love thrown in though its Aok for the kidies to boot of corse unless there the over sensitive type :rolleyes::D

What I would like to find is another series similar to esecaflowne! :lol::lol:

Oh other good anime:

Evangelion

Candidate for the Goddess

Please note evagelion depends on what you view is good, I Think its good for the first 10 or so episodes & then it all goes right to heck in a hand basket! One wacked out series! That poor kid gets jacked on the loving in both the series & the movie everytime too :p

Edited by Synch

Everyone has their own opinions. I personally think that Gundam Wing, Naruto, Noir, and many other shows are complete and utter crap. Yet despite weak characters, contrived plots, and gimmicky action sequences, these shows are incredibly popular.

Of course, this is why it's best to state why you are suggesting a show, instead of just listing off names. It's also why it's best to list a bunch of titles you like, and why, when asking for reccomendations. That way people can tailor their lists to those shows you're most likely to appreciate.

More 'serious good fun' robot/SF anime..

Gasaraki - it's a 'pay attention' series..

Raxhephon - I think of it as 'Evangelion Lite' - weird lookin' bad guys too.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - I'm halfway thru this series at the moment and I really like how they took the concepts from the movies, stripped away all the navel gazing and made it more of a cop/detective series.

OK, it's not 'serious' but I loved Full Metal Panic which I just saw.

Radd: I'm with you - Hated Noir, loved Crest of the Stars.