Auerstädt Submarine Aircraft Carrier

Sorry about that. Fixed. The sentence means that the submarine aircraft carrier is operated by a strong ally of the Anti-U.N. whom always shows up to combat the U.N. Force [or the Asuka.]

Thanks for the clarification Nanashi!!!

Thanks. Now it is ubiquitously strong clear!! :D

Other than it's the first Macross submarine we've ever seen?

Looks big. Any statistics on how big this is? (It might be a remodled Typhoon SSBN. Russia had very few of these in commition in the collapse of the soviet union.) If that's the case then who got a hold of the hull/ship and had it remodled? And how did they get the stealth technology (See below)...

Anyway from the overal look it appears stealthy and streamlined, somewhere along the lines of the 'projected future' of US Navy subs... (Streamlined conning tower & body). The only thing is that it lacks it's own underwater drones...

Does this thing have a hanger underneath the launch tubes or are the SVFs launched and loaded into the tubes?

two cents.

http://unsd.macrossroleplay.org/rorqual.html

This submarine appeared before.

Other than it's the first Macross submarine we've ever seen?

Looks big. Any statistics on how big this is? (It might be a remodled Typhoon SSBN.  Russia had very few of these in commition in the collapse of the soviet union.) If that's the case then who got a hold of the hull/ship and had it remodled? And how did they get the stealth technology (See below)...

Anyway from the overal look it appears stealthy and streamlined, somewhere along the lines of the 'projected future' of US Navy subs... (Streamlined conning tower & body). The only thing is that it lacks it's own underwater drones...

Does this thing have a hanger underneath the launch tubes or are the SVFs launched and loaded into the tubes?

two cents.

http://unsd.macrossroleplay.org/rorqual.html

This submarine appeared before.

Yes, there was another submarine.

Alas, once again terribly inaccurate RPG stats....

That pages says that this unmanned sub has a crew of 20! LOL

I have created an entry for it here so that people aren't misinformed:

http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/cat...ps/rorqual.html

Yes, there was another submarine.

Alas, once again terribly inaccurate RPG stats....

That pages says that this unmanned sub has a crew of 20! LOL

I have created an entry for it here so that people aren't misinformed:

http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/cat...ps/rorqual.html

Strange, i would have thought a submarine would have been better suited in the anti-ship role instead of anti-aircraft?

Huh. Forgot about that one.

I stand corrected:

This is the first EARTH submarine we've ever seen.

Is it just me or does the Rorqual look like the Disney version of the Natilus?

Edited by Boxer

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, that's neat, I only wish we could see how SV-51s launch from it and land on it.  Does it have any armament?

That scene was apparently cut from Episode 3. There has not been any data on the Auerstädt's armaments other than it carrying SV-51s.

The above sentences are inaccurate. For accurate information on the Auerstädt, please go to:

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/anti_un/ships/auerstadt/

Sorry about that. Fixed. The sentence means that the submarine aircraft carrier is operated by a strong ally of the Anti-U.N. whom always shows up to combat the U.N. Force [or the Asuka.]

The above is not true. The creators do not say that the Auerstadt is "umbiquitious" or a "strong ally" or "strong alley"--in fact, the creators' own words are almost completely the opposite.

The name hasn' been published as far as I know... it must be inside info.

The above is not true. Not only has the name been published, it was used in the dialogue of Macross Zero Vol. 4 itself.

http://www.anime.net/macross/production/an...ve_action/zero/

You misundestood me.

I was talking about the original/class name of the ship which was remodelled which was the became Auerstädt. I know what the ship's name is. I got the legit DVD 2 days after its release. You're trying to hard to make me look bad. Try not to slip up.

The above is not true. The creators do not say that the Auerstadt is "umbiquitious" or a "strong ally" or "strong alley"--in fact, the creators' own words are almost completely the opposite.

Hmmm what I that was the translation I got back from the DVD's liner notes.

The above is not true. Not only has the name been published, it was used in the dialogue of Macross Zero Vol. 4 itself.

You misundestood me.

I was talking about the original/class name of the ship which was remodelled which was the became Auerstädt. I know what the ship's name is. I got the legit DVD 2 days after its release. You're trying to hard to make me look bad. Try not to slip up.

Actually, the original post was specifically referring to the name Auerstädt itself, not any previous name it had. Here, you can see for yourself: :)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...ndpost&p=154391

Hmmm what I that was the translation I got back from the DVD's liner notes.

Then I would say that translation was bad. :)

You misundestood me.

Actually, the original post was specifically referring to the name Auerstädt itself, not any previous name it had. Here, you can see for yourself: :)

I was talking about published in print.

You misundestood me.

I was talking about published in print.

Just so everyone is not mistaken on the subject:

1) The name Auerstädt *has* been published in print

2) It *has* been in the Macross Compendium since last year

3) It *was* used in the dialogue of Macross Zero Vol. 4

4) It is *not* inside info

• 2 months later...

I've recently found info (Polmar's Cold War Submarines: The Design and Construction of U.S. and Soviet Submarines) on actual submarine carriers that were considered in the late 50's by the US Navy. I found the AN-2 design (from Boeing!!) concept similar to the Auerstädt in Macross 0. Even more in a soviet book from the 60s there is a diagram of what they thought was the concept design that is even more similar!!

In Polmar's book there are some designs for submarine LSTs and cargo ships too (another interesting "previous art" for Macross designs)

Boeing's AN-2:

What do you think?

post-2-1095266019_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gerwalker

In his book Polmar says that in AN-2 the planes are VTOL. In the AN-1 (see below) they planned to use the F11 Tiger (trials for assesing the feasibility of carring a plane in the regulus hangar with a Regulus II sub were done)

In that design the recovery was made using an innovative hook and cable system. Eventually the F-11s would be replaced by a Mach 3 aircraft...go figure!!

The reasons why they never built one are:

1. this was a development of the Bureau of Aeronautics and Bureau of Ships opossed to it for "bureaucratic" reasons...

2. Recovery system was not very practical 3. Shortage of submarine construction capabilities (Polaris project was using most of the resources)

post-2-1095265979_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gerwalker

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the  Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN....

why me?

I don't know why some people can't see my pics... I'm using Photobucket for posting these. Just modified my posts and posted the pics directly in MW

Here is the design from the soviet book (Atomic Powered Submarine Designs, V.M. Bukalov, 1967) oriinally from Proceedings Oc t. 1963.

The dots in the stern are missile launchers, the sail (fairwater for US submariners) can be retracted for aircraft ops. IMHO this design was part of a desinformation campaign since it has very little in common (aside from being a carrier) with the real propossals (AN-1 and AN-2), though it is cooler than those!!

post-2-1095266143_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gerwalker

• 4 years later...

*BUMP*

First of all, sorry to reactivate this pretty old topic... B))^_^

Second, does anybody here still have the pics from Nanashi's opening post?

I know there are some very interesting pictures of the Auerstädt in op4_delta's Asuka II Carrier Battle Group, A tactical essay on the Asca CVBG (hopefully the models of the Asuka and Auerstädt will be completed), but I was hoping someone might have official lineart. So far the only I've seen was this:

auerstadt_1.jpg

As you can see, this is an early sketch, and does not reflect the final model seen in the OVA.

Anyway, I've been trying to draw a variant of the sub myself, using those images as well as my SV-51y as a guide. For the moment I've determined the launch tubes (which are somewhat elliptical, as shown in episode 5) to have an internal width of 14.4 meters to 16.2 meters (about 47 to 53 foot) with an internal length of 9 meters (29.5 foot). These measurements are based on the SV-51 equipped with boosters, two air-to-air missiles, and a fuel pod under each wing, again, as depicted in episode 5. My ship will have beam of 75.6 meters (not including fins), as this is the optimum size to have a transit lane for the SV-51's between the launchtubecovers. I'm still undecided about the length though... If I use the length to beam ratio from an Ohio class SSBN/SSGN (Length equals 13.3 x beam) the size would come out at 75.6 x 13.3 = 1005.5 meters. A bit large... The Typhoon L/B ratio is 7.3, giving a length of about 551.88 meters. However, I will know more when I have the image from the bridge status display printed and measured. :ph34r:

Instead of propellors, the boat will use a new style of propulsion, as seen on this concept model for an advanced UK attack sub:

DSCN_1.jpg

My sub will carry 20 to 22 SV-51's, 2 or 4 ASW Rotorcraft (my original design, based on the UD-4L Cheyenne dropship from Aliens) and up to 10 Octos variable Destroids. These will be located in special bays at the underside of the sub. Pilots get in (Octos is in sub-mode) bay is flooded, and the Destroid launches from a hatch at the bottom. For amphibious assault / reconniassance / special ops delivery the sub will also house a few Gibbs / Lockheed-Martin Amphibians to be precise, this will include (may vary in the future):

-10x Amphibious Combat Craft Expeditionary ACC/E

-6x Amphibious Combat Craft Riverine ACC/R

-4x Terraquad

Of course the sub needs to surface to deply these vehicles.

Edited by Remko

The current entry for the Auerstadt can be found here:

http://www.macrossmecha.info/fs/auerstadt/auerstadt.html

Nanashi's Information Group

www.macrossmecha.imfo

*BUMP*

First of all, sorry to reactivate this pretty old topic... B))^_^

Second, does anybody here still have the pics from Nanashi's opening post?

I know there are some very interesting pictures of the Auerstädt in op4_delta's Asuka II Carrier Battle Group, A tactical essay on the Asca CVBG (hopefully the models of the Asuka and Auerstädt will be completed), but I was hoping someone might have official lineart. So far the only I've seen was this:

auerstadt_1.jpg

As you can see, this is an early sketch, and does not reflect the final model seen in the OVA.

Anyway, I've been trying to draw a variant of the sub myself, using those images as well as my SV-51y as a guide. For the moment I've determined the launch tubes (which are somewhat elliptical, as shown in episode 5) to have an internal width of 14.4 meters to 16.2 meters (about 47 to 53 foot) with an internal length of 9 meters (29.5 foot). These measurements are based on the SV-51 equipped with boosters, two air-to-air missiles, and a fuel pod under each wing, again, as depicted in episode 5. My ship will have beam of 75.6 meters (not including fins), as this is the optimum size to have a transit lane for the SV-51's between the launchtubecovers. I'm still undecided about the length though... If I use the length to beam ratio from an Ohio class SSBN/SSGN (Length equals 13.3 x beam) the size would come out at 75.6 x 13.3 = 1005.5 meters. A bit large... The Typhoon L/B ratio is 7.3, giving a length of about 551.88 meters. However, I will know more when I have the image from the bridge status display printed and measured. :ph34r:

Instead of propellors, the boat will use a new style of propulsion, as seen on this concept model for an advanced UK attack sub:

DSCN_1.jpg

My sub will carry 20 to 22 SV-51's, 2 or 4 ASW Rotorcraft (my original design, based on the UD-4L Cheyenne dropship from Aliens) and up to 10 Octos variable Destroids. These will be located in special bays at the underside of the sub. Pilots get in (Octos is in sub-mode) bay is flooded, and the Destroid launches from a hatch at the bottom. For amphibious assault / reconniassance / special ops delivery the sub will also house a few Gibbs / Lockheed-Martin Amphibians to be precise, this will include (may vary in the future):

-10x Amphibious Combat Craft Expeditionary ACC/E

-6x Amphibious Combat Craft Riverine ACC/R

-4x Terraquad

Of course the sub needs to surface to deply these vehicles.

Uhhh, nanashi, your works has been sorely missed.

But, since you've been off & on for the last coupla of years, I sincerely suggest you joined hand with Mr March & co-developed Macross Mecha Manual as well, & he could assists you with MacrossMecha.Info.

BTW, nice to see you are back in business after long hibernation.

• 2 weeks later...
shouldn't it be www.macrossmecha.inf ?

I got to the above mentioned site and landed on a single opening page with no more stuff, is it the way it's supposed to be?

I think that's kind of your sites downfall Nanashi, there's no way to get to anything from the main page (or from any other page :mellow: )