Auerstädt Submarine Aircraft Carrier

Other than it's the first Macross submarine we've ever seen?

Looks big. Any statistics on how big this is? (It might be a remodled Typhoon SSBN. Russia had very few of these in commition in the collapse of the soviet union.) If that's the case then who got a hold of the hull/ship and had it remodled? And how did they get the stealth technology (See below)...

Anyway from the overal look it appears stealthy and streamlined, somewhere along the lines of the 'projected future' of US Navy subs... (Streamlined conning tower & body). The only thing is that it lacks it's own underwater drones...

Does this thing have a hanger underneath the launch tubes or are the SVFs launched and loaded into the tubes?

two cents.

Other than it's the first Macross submarine we've ever seen?

Looks big. Any statistics on how big this is? (It might be a remodled Typhoon SSBN. Russia had very few of these in commition in the collapse of the soviet union.) If that's the case then who got a hold of the hull/ship and had it remodled? And how did they get the stealth technology (See below)...

Anyway from the overal look it appears stealthy and streamlined, somewhere along the lines of the 'projected future' of US Navy subs... (Streamlined conning tower & body). The only thing is that it lacks it's own underwater drones...

Does this thing have a hanger underneath the launch tubes or are the SVFs launched and loaded into the tubes?

two cents.

No stats.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/anti_un...tadt/index.html

But it's big enough to hold at least 12 SV-51 (vertically aligned that is)

Didn't think the compendium included that one. My bad.

But has there been any shots of a hanger inside this thing? I think in a pinch it might be possible to crane one into a launch tube, or have it transform into fighter mode from battleoid mode inside the tube...*winces*

Otherwise it might be safe to speculate that more of these ships are running around as general OT SSBNs and that this one was purchased from the Russians and modified for launching SVFs instead of missiles.

Hey, that's neat, I only wish we could see how SV-51s launch from it and land on it. Does it have any armament?

That scene was apparently cut from Episode 3. There has not been any data on the Auerstädt's armaments other than it carrying SV-51s.

Cool. It looks to me like the design is based off of the Typhoon class nuclear sub, which is already pretty big in itself. I'm interested in seeing more stats and stuff about the sub, like if it uses overtechnology or not. I'm guessing it should at least have two torpedo tubes for self-defense.

Thanks Nanashi for all the new stuff you are posting. This particular item is one of the most interestring. I agree that it would be necessary at least two Typhoons to fit those SVs inside. The overall shape doesn't reminds me a sub but a wingless Boeing XF-32!!

Torpedo tubes? for sure!!

Aside from SV-51, does it carries Octos too?

Is the name of that ship, German?

German-ish. It means something like "Auer City". OTTOMH, I don;t know what "Auer" itself means, and I'm not sure if there's a real Auerstaedt in Germany or Austria.

I've made some guesstimates based on the drawings and this is what I got:

Lenght > 350 m

width >95 m

height: 74 m

This are rough figures based on the lenght of a SV-51 -~23 m- (which can be seen in the second lineart) and on simple meassurements on the pictures (not taking into account the angle of the sub, thus the " real " thing should be even bigger)

This thing is much bigger than a Typhoon!!! (as was said before more than two times bigger):

RussianTyphoon:

Length: Approx. 574 ft (175 m)

Beam: 75 ft (23 m)

Draft: 38 ft (12 m)

Displacement: 33,800 tons

Thanks Nanashi for all the new stuff you are posting. This particular item is one of the most interestring. I agree that it would be necessary at least two Typhoons to fit those SVs inside. The overall shape doesn't reminds me a sub but a wingless Boeing XF-32!!

Torpedo tubes? for sure!!

Aside from SV-51, does it carries Octos too?

You're welcome. Thank you for your interest in the Nanashi's website.

The remodeled _super-large scale_ submarine is probably not a Typhoon class. I believe that the submarine from which it is remodeled from was perhaps a new/fictional design.

The design features six forward tubes. Not sure about the Octos units... we haven't seen another Anti-UN Forces vessel in the area on screen yet.

German-ish. It means something like "Auer City". OTTOMH, I don;t know what "Auer" itself means, and I'm not sure if there's a real Auerstaedt in Germany or Austria.

From the Macross Compendium:

"Notes: The name is a reference to the German town that was a decisive battlefield between the French and Prussians in 1806 during the Napoleonic Wars."

The name hasn' been published as far as I know... it must be inside info.

"Notes: The name is a reference to the German town that was a decisive battlefield between the French and Prussians in 1806 during the Napoleonic Wars."

That's interesting to know!!!

But has there been any shots of a hanger inside this thing? I think in a pinch it might be possible to crane one into a launch tube, or have it transform into fighter mode from battleoid mode inside the tube...*winces*

Otherwise it might be safe to speculate that more of these ships are running around as general OT SSBNs and that this one was purchased from the Russians and modified for launching SVFs instead of missiles.

Yes there have been shots inside the sub. Episode 2 had them when Nora was pissed at the tech.

In fact, the Compendium indicates how the launch from the sub.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/anti_un...sv51/index.html

Note: Several units exists which have been modified for underwater launching capabilities from submarines. These units launch from a submarine at periscope depth to 30 m underwater by using rocket motors, and then fly after launch using standard turbojet engines. These units have been modified with improved waterproofing, pressure resistance, and folding wing construction to make them compact enough for stowage in the submarine launching docks.

Yes there have been shots inside the sub. Episode 2 had them when Nora was pissed at the tech.

Note: Several units exists which have been modified for underwater launching capabilities from submarines. These units launch from a submarine at periscope depth to 30 m underwater by using rocket motors, and then fly after launch using standard turbojet engines. These units have been modified with improved waterproofing, pressure resistance, and folding wing construction to make them compact enough for stowage in the submarine launching docks.

Can you provide some pics to support what has been mentioned?

Edited by Angel's Fury

As a history buff, you can officially color my face red! :blink:

Hey! nobody commented about the dimensions I've calculated for this beast!!

IMHO the size of the sub makes it very difficult to operate. It would be very hard to dock it. It's bigger than a Nimitz class carrier and even wider, not to mention that you would need a very deep harbour to dock it. Maneuvering it would be a mess too though this is not very important since the kind of missions that was design for (it is not a SSN nor a SSK) in fact I think about it as a Sub-Nimitz...

It would be nearly impossible to operate this thing in shallow waters (i.e. ~100 m)

What do you thing?

Can you provide some pics to support what has been mentioned?

auerstadt-launchhanger.jpg

So basically this sub needs to surface to launch the SV-51s because there are no tubes for them to launch in or they will flood the sub. So how the SV-51s land? Or do they go back to the ship?

Again, read:

http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/cat.../auerstadt.html ^^;;

Thanks for the pic Nanashi!!! As for Gerwalker, now that you mentioned your calculated dimensions for that beast, boy is that sucker big. Maybe it's dock is located in some deep harbour. Tugboats, a lot of tugboats would be used to guide it to it's dock.

Thanks for the pic Nanashi!!! As for Gerwalker, now that you mentioned your calculated dimensions for that beast, boy is that sucker big. Maybe it's dock is located in some deep harbour. Tugboats, a lot of tugboats would be used to guide it to it's dock.

A lot of tugboats indeed. Surfacing this thing for recovering the fighters would be another difficult task... but considering that we have an alien vessel with overtecnology everything is possible.

Nanashi, what I don't uderstand is this phrase:

"It's an ubiquitously strong alley" what's the real meaning of this?

A lot of tugboats indeed. Surfacing this thing for recovering the fighters would be another difficult task... but considering that we have an alien vessel with overtecnology everything is possible.

I know ubiquitously means "existing or being everywhere at the same time or constantly encountered". As for the rest, he meant "strong ally". Dang! I don't get that sentence too!

Edited by Angel's Fury

I know ubiquitously means "existing or being everywhere at the same time or constantly encountered". As for the rest, he meant "strong ally". Dang! I don't get that sentence too!

guess you can say hypercarbons and go with it but i find it easier to read his translation by going what he meant and not what it means.

guess you can say hypercarbons and go with it but i find it easier to read his translation by going what he meant and not what it means.

That should help.

Sorry about that. Fixed. The sentence means that the submarine aircraft carrier is operated by a strong ally of the Anti-U.N. whom always shows up to combat the U.N. Force [or the Asuka.]

Thanks for the clarification Nanashi!!!