new rt art of dana

Again, I'm not saying that it never happens, I'm just saying people have gotten so cynical that most people think all anime/comics/whatever is done entirely for the money, and that there's a man in a suit in every art studio in the world beating on a large drum while another man in a suit whips the chained up artists bellowing, "Less clothes, more bust! Less clothes, more bust!"

No, but the hypersexuality of comic book superheroes (yes, males too... actually especially) has been well documented and even more theorized about by everyone from comic icons themselves (Will Eisner, Scott McCloud) to award winning novelist (Michael Chabon, many others) and even psychologists themselves (again, too many to name).

There are TONS of standards in comics. Most artists don't tend to draw ugly lead characters, even if they pride themselves on not exaggerrating sexuality or strive for "realism". There's also tons of reference on the nature of the hero in comic story - 99% orphans, outsiders, literal aliens... basically it all amounts to a sort of "new mythology."

When the Greeks, Romans, et all were dreaming up gods for their pantheons, rarely did they create a boring, average looking, semi-depressed god. It's all extremes, the wily snake, the brave hero, the all-father, etc.

It's not much different in other art - especially novels and film/TV. It's in our nature, people - we (the human race) has been creating stories like this since we began.

Also, it never hurts that sexy women (and to some degree men) help sell. Period.

Never fails. Ever. ;)

Folly to who?

Folly to whomever tries to argue that this picture was done for reasons other than eliciting responses like this:

(maybe it's because Dana looks SO FRIGGIN HOT).

True, artwork based on a subject is open to interpretation. I was just voicing my disappointment that HG had to service the lowest common denominator. Anyone remember the Lebatars?HG has a history of trying to make these characters "sexy".

:rolleyes:

Oh please, anyone that doesn't meet the criteria where you drew the line has to be the lowest denominator because you quoted one sample. :rolleyes:

When the Greeks, Romans, et all were dreaming up gods for their pantheons, rarely did they create a boring, average looking, semi-depressed god. It's all extremes, the wily snake, the brave hero, the all-father, etc.

At least they unterstood the concept of imperfect beings. Many of the gods and heroes at minimum had serious character flaws.

When the Greeks, Romans, et all were dreaming up gods for their pantheons, rarely did they create a boring, average looking, semi-depressed god.  It's all extremes, the wily snake, the brave hero, the all-father, etc.

At least they unterstood the concept of imperfect beings. Many of the gods and heroes at minimum had serious character flaws.

Uh... dude... most of your average comicbook heroes have serious character flaws.

Bruce Wayne/Batman - can't let anyone close, can't be happy despite being extremely wealthy, arrogant, and just plain fetishistic.

Peter Parker/Spiderman - feels responsible for all of the world's problems, can't fully accept/reject the idea of being a hero, constantly broke, constantly punishing himself for a mistake he made very young.

You name a comicbook hero and I'll name a pretty serious character flaw - for the most part. Gods are pretty much the same way. It's not much of a surprise that Marvel comics could fit Thor and other norse gods right in with their own pantheon. ;)

All the gods have in their favor is about another few millenia of existence, when it comes to deepening their characters.

Oh please, anyone that doesn't meet the criteria where you drew the line has to be the lowest denominator because you quoted one sample. :rolleyes:

I didn't draw any line. Most people will tell you that "sex sells" is the lowest common denominator, no matter what form of entertainment you're talking about.

I'd like to see what you think my criteria is? If you haven't noticed, not once have I critiqued the skills presented in the drawing itself (which is one of the best Yune piece's I've seen yet), but simply gone straight to the first thought that sprang into my mind upon seeing it.

Would you like some other samples? Every one of the MPC boxes feature "buffed up" characters which, IMHO, I do not think is simply due to Yune's artistic style.

Something else I enjoy are the markings, decals, and insignia. Gives it a more real-world feel, especially that arrow on the arm shield, showing which direction attaches to the gauntlet. Very cool.

I like the arrow pointing to her cleavage and the arrows pointing to her crotch. :lol::D:rolleyes:

Actually, I see the point made about the gun on her back.

Kinda just vanishes doesn't it?

And personally, I like Tommy Yune's take on the character. Like when different artists draw Batman, Spiderman, or any other character, I enjoy seeing how one artist to the next will give their rendition of the character.

I like that one too. I guess I just swim in the shallow waters... :rolleyes:

They really got her almond eyes. I want to see Nova Satori though... she's my fave!

That helmet is way too small for her head, even if you shave off her hair.

who is that? Nova Satori (Sp???)?

Nope, that's Marie Crystal judging from her helmet and face.... :p

Edited by >EXO<

The obvious sadness in this is that theyre splashing the Yune Art on the disks, which could lead people to think that southern cross toys are never going to happen.

Sorry 1BRD... :(

Yea...I know.

However, at least this is a start of what hopefully will turn out to be HG paying more attention to SC/TRM in the future. I can hope....

cool picture, but again, I would also love to see them with the helmet on.

She wouldn't look nearly as sexy with the helmet on... You know because 'sexy' is obviously what they were going for, not staying true to the proper design.

cool picture, but again, I would also love to see them with the helmet on.

She wouldn't look nearly as sexy with the helmet on... You know because 'sexy' is obviously what they were going for, not staying true to the proper design.

And what exactly do you have against this picture? It's pretty close to the original design.

well, bring back the green hair, then. i normally don't like Yune's style, but i do like the Flight Suit Millia.

Has anyone read/seen the Danger Girl Mini he did a while back? i wonder if its any good.....afterall, he has J. Scott Campbell to compete with.

Hey...

wanted to share this one with everyone. Its an arrangement by Azoric using Tommy Yune's art.

Enjoy!

That's just screwing with me. While I like the drawings, the whole Max and Millia with Dana is something I'm not use to 'cuz I relate the M&Ms to Macross. Weird. It was always obvious to me that RT was 3 different catroons and I never bought that Dana and Bowie were talking about Max and Millia that first SC episode. I've always wondered what they really talked about. I guess I'll find out soon when I watch SDSC.

oh, great composition though. Tell Azoric it looks good. Except with the whole M&M with Dana thing... :p

Edited by >EXO<

I like that arrangement, though I gotta agree with >EXO< about Max, Millia, and Dana. Still, for a Robotech piece, it's great. Azoric did a great job piecing them together.

I'd like to see a similar arrangement just using Macross characters, the Maacross Logo from their DYRL? website, and adjusting the colours. I think Yune's got some good line and shading skills, but his colours are always way, way, way, oversaturated, and he makes everything shiney. It just comes out looking horribly Photoshopped. He does everything but toss lense flares in there.

Gotta wait for them to be drawn, first :p

They have been, just got to wait for the full scans to be released. So far only Scott has appeared outside of photos of the spines on Toynami's teaser sheet for the Scott Type Alpha.

Cyc

• 1 month later...
Two new pictures have been released. First up is another of the ladies, Nova Satori.

Also available is a picture of Zor Prime, but who wants to see him? :p

I like where those arrows are pointing. A sexual-harasment lawsuit waiting to happen. ;)