More Lego constructions

rikiryou

Seriously, does anyone know a way to get a set of instructions and parts list? I would totally love to build a couple of these, they would display great.

We could have a contest for best color scheme....

*sigh*

Well, that takes some of the wind out of my sails. I've been working on my own LEGO Konig Monster for a while now, but it's still a work in progress. I'm trying to follow Kawamori's sketches as faithfully as possible, rather than basing my design on the resin model, as this guy seems to have done (down to the color scheme :) ).

FWIW, my model is at the same scale as this one, about 1:110, so it should be comparable in size to the Yamato version. I'll post some pics tonight if anyone wants to see them. I've got a 1:48 version on the drawing boards, but that project will wait until I've worked all the kinks out of the smaller one.

Bartagama,

Don't let it take the wind out of your sails.

If we were to do that in all instances where someone beat us to the punch, Yamato would have never improved upon the Bandai 1/55 with the 1/60, and then on to the 1/48.

I'm not saying you can necessarily do it better, but there is also room for improvement. I can't tell the scale of Glagla's VB-6, so perhaps yours will be different in that aspect as well, plus the potential for a different color scheme.

Don't lose heart, I would love to see a MW fan make a Lego transformable VB-6.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Bartagama,

i highly doubt this guys model is 1/110. just guestimating the "stud count" and for all the detail he threw in, its gotta be bigger. besides, you should build it bigger...its actually easier to build a lego MOC larger than smaller.

the winds blowing stronger now so get brickin! ;)

dyowelb,

i have no idea but if you ask around lugnet (lego community site) i'm sure someone there will know how to get in touch with him.

just an FYI but very few people make instructions for their MOC's, since most guys build using the trial and error technique but you can always scan the pic and throw it into a lego program(MCAD i think?) and it'll give you somewhat of an idea on how to built it.

wwwmwww,

nah, he built it using an array of sets. most AFOL's(adult fans of lego) have enough loot and go out of there way to get stuff cheap. you can also go to internet lego shops(bricklink.com) and order any and all the parts you would need to build just about anything. i shop there all the time for minifigs and unique pieces that are only available in certain sets.

that BSY is out of hand :o , i would imagine the brick count to be in the 10000's easy....the ISD which is only 3 feet long has 3000+ pieces....and that was LEGO using the "house of plates" technique....this guy built it solid and went brick crazy! :blink:

Glagla has been described as the voiceless master. He doesn't post on message boards or anything. I don't think anyone knows much about him other than that he's Japanese and an incredible builder.

Heh... I also heard he wears a mask to hide his true identity and once devoured the heart of a dragon to increase his power. :ph34r:

:p

Seriously, though... maybe he did... I've never seen a more impressive lego build - complex design, seamless construction. This fellow is a badass.

I'm still working on my own monster; thanks to everyone for all the encouragement. Once the it is moderated, you can find some pictures of my version in my Brickshelf folder. Until then, here are some deep links:

Shuttle

Destroid

Battroid

The shuttle is 32 "studs" (25.6 cm) long, which works out to 1:116 scale. For comparison, Glagla's model is 34 studs long, which would be 1:110. Bigger models are indeed easier to build in some respects, but they require many more pieces. They're heavy, too, which adds a new set of challenges for a project like this.

I have to say that I admire Glagla's building style; it's a couple of levels above mine. The smooth surfaces in his model result from what the LEGO community calls "SNOT" construction (for "Studs Not On Top"). My version looks more LEGO-ish because I still use what has been dubbed the "MUCUS" technique ("Mostly Upward Construction Using Studs").

As haterist pointed out, most LEGO building is by trial-and-error, although people can and do create their own printed instructions. It would actually be a fun project to make some instructions for this guy, if there is much interest.

Bartagama,

I clinked on your links, and received the following message:

"This file is not yet public."

So I logged into my account and did a search by your MW user name, because I thought you might have used the same for both sites, but nothing came up.

Any information will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

:huh: The links should be OK, at least the "deep links", and they work fine for me. 'Course, Brickshelf might be letting me in because it's my page, but I don't seem to be logged in. Egh. As a fallback, I've also posted the pictures at this site. Hope that works!

that's pretty awsome. :o (transforming monster) weather it would work in actuality is the question. eg. -can the joints hold up the gun?, knees hold up the bat.?,elbows hold up the arms?, center of gravity make it physicaly possible to stand?. Since this was drawn in L-Draw there's no way of knowing how these factors work out :( Chances are they wouldn't - that would be a fluke....so unfortunately this model will have to be enjoyed as a virtual model... for now and it definenately is an awsome likeness in every way to the original!, that guy should work on a real one and he could even sell the instructions or KIT here on MW !

I have to say that I admire Glagla's building style; it's a couple of levels above mine. The smooth surfaces in his model result from what the LEGO community calls "SNOT" construction (for "Studs Not On Top"). My version looks more LEGO-ish because I still use what has been dubbed the "MUCUS" technique ("Mostly Upward Construction Using Studs").

SNOT? MUCUS?

Is there a style that has BOOGER as an acronym?

Nice job.

That's amazing.

Does anyone have any information on this "MCAD" program? I've been interested in this sort of thing for a long while but always turned up dead ends.

I can't really afford many Legos, but maybe I'll be able to make them in 3D, eh?

Thanks for all the comments. Just to dispel any confusion, my model is real; if it looks like an LDRAW image, that's just a consequence of my wife's talented photography.

As far as stability goes, it's pretty good so far. Getting it to balance will be tricky, but I'm sure it can be done. I'm running out of "good" pieces, though, so it may take me a while to put the legs together. That and the fact that I'm constantly tweaking the parts that are already "finished." (Heh, would that be Building Over and Over aGain with Endless Revisions = BOOGER??)

I haven't had this much fun in a long time; this project combines two of my first loves, Lego and Macross.

- Bartagama, who is not Japanese at all but just realized that his member name does sound a bit like that.

I'm running out of "good" pieces, though, so it may take me a while to put the legs together

Heh, the plight of all good LEGO builders. I've been out of "good" parts for months.

I know a lot of us here would love to see a buildup, and I'm certain you wouldn't have a problem selling the instructions. Whether or not you have the time and patience to put some together is the question, I know I couldn't do it.

Great piece in all regards.

Here's my lego Destroid I built several weeks ago when I was bored. I used spare parts from my collection to do it. It took about 4 or 5 hours to do, over a couple of nights....I have a VF-1S and a VF-1J version that transforms into all 3 modes as well. All Lego Minifig scale, and minifigs of Rick, Roy, Lisa, Max, Ben, Miriya and Capt. Gloval. I'm building a factory for it all to go into nicely. :D

post-4-1085888949_thumb.jpg

WHere did you get those uniforms those lego figures are wearing.  Are they painted by you or did Lego make those uniform for some other set?

Those uniforms look to be custom-made stickers attached to their torsos. Very cute! Heh, I knew those Harry potter sets must be good for something.

That's amazing.

Does anyone have any information on this "MCAD" program?  I've been interested in this sort of thing for a long while but always turned up dead ends.

I can't really afford many Legos, but maybe I'll be able to make them in 3D, eh?

It's actually called MLCAD. You can get it here: http://www.ldraw.org/

I got it recently, but the parts library seems to be missing a bunch of parts. Maybe I did something wrong <_< Anyhoo, for those that don't know, MLCAD lets you build LEGO models in 3D, you just gotta drag and drop the pieces into the window. Then generate a parts list, and you can just go to bricklink.com, which is pretty much LEGO eBay, to buy the parts to build it in real life :D

Edited by Mellow Yellow