What's your collection philosophy?

What kind of toys do you buy?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of toys do you buy?

• Everything that carries the logo (Macross, Gundam, whatever)
    • Only the big stuff (12 inch figures or better)
    • Only the small stuff (1/100 or less)
    • Only the best quality stuff, size unimportant (Best articulation, truest sculpt etc)

I decided not to put this in the Toys section since most of our members undoubtedly purchase more than just Macross stuff.

I for one only like the big stuff, as usually (but not always) it has the best detailing, and the most bells and whistles etc.

What about you guys/gals?

i only really want the nice stuff, I do not mind the size, just high quality, very detailed preferably die cast metal stuff with a crap load of accesseries, I like alot of the newer Chogokins (Genesic Gaogaigar) and the Gundam Fix toyline, 1/48 Yamato Valks. but as long as it is very high in quality and detailed, I am willing to buy.

I chose the last one too. I only buy it if it's a must have for me, and not just for the sake of being one of the jones'. Hopefully the value of my collection will rise.

Prefer the better stuff and real toys to display pieces (yeah, many SOCs aren't good for playing). I like toys of realistic mecha over super robots, and dislike exaggerated sculpts over realistic potrayals. Absolutely no more rubbery PVC figures for me. :-)

I went with the best quality stuff........items that are must haves. The jaw dropping make your friends jealous that would look GREAT in a display case kinda collection. For example.......when I first saw the 1:48 Hikaru = MUST HAVE. Masterpiece Convoy = MUST HAVE 1:3000 SDF-1 = MUST HAVE (hehehehehehe).

I recently cut out smaller robots out of my collection and adopted the credo that giant robots should be HUGE.

I cut out the SOCs most importantly. I'll still get some Alternators because I consider those big as far as Transformers are concerned. But I would have been happier if they were 1:18 to match my Batmobile and Ecto-1. Optimus Prime is boss! The smallest I'd go for a valk is 1:55. I am very happy with the 1:48. I wish they would do a 1:2000 scale Macross.

The only smaller item I have purchased recently is the Manga #9 Rei and the CMS figures.

I want more bigger robots! I'm talking about 1:12 scaled Gasarakis. 1:12 scaled Landmates. 1:6 scaled Motoslaves and 1:6 scaled Mospeada Cyclones and 1:32 scale Legios!!!

No. 3, well basically it my taste either fully plastic or with die-cast parts but I also prefer 12inch figures especially robots also the same with the small scale.

You know it`s funny since no more metal parts in most of robot toys today I got used to Plastic robots more, thanks to Bandai of course.

I don't know how to answer this poll. My philosphy is very subjective. I've been known to buy the biggest 70s giant robots toys for up to $1200 and little ones for 25 cents a piece when I decide to be frugal. How much I spend all depends on the quality (that includes detail), brand or the robot itself. Being a Grendizer and Dougram nut I've been known to spill out the cash while for others I just ignore them. However, anything I buy I buy to keep and have no intention of selling (or sharing for that matter) unless some Apocalyptic catostrophe happens.

Where is the option for best quality and big size? :D

I didn't buy my first Macross toy until the 1/48s, even though I was fan for over 20 years. I skipped the Chunky Monkey's, Yamato Macross Plus 1/72s, and 1/60s.

I did buy the Q-Rau (size) and its the best one iteration out there. I would pickup a 1/3000 SDF-1 from Matchbox or Takatoku if folks weren't asking for 2 x Low Viz pricing.

I echo UN Spacy's comments. Some things are must haves in both size and quality where prices be damned (within a certain reason) and I guess I fit in there. Best bang for the buck is what I look for with a minimum size and quality feel.

Macross Super Dimensional Must Have Member Club. ;)

Like MM, I almost only buy toys that are big - preferably around 12" or so.

But, I make exceptions quite a bit. The SOC Evas and the Mac Plus 1/72's are good examples. I love those mecha designs and that's about as good as I can get... for now.

I like big Mecha. I'm finish with my Macross 1\48s. Now I'm go to 1\60 P.G. Gundams. I'm also poor now. But I got big robots to play with. Yeah!! :p

Nice poll Mech! :) I picked "Only the best quality stuff, size unimportant (Best articulation, truest sculpt etc). I will still buy anything and everything Macross related, but have stopped doing so with a lot of other lines. For example: Every Binaltech transformer but only certain TF re-issues, only those new SOC's that appeal to me, only certain new Gundam kits, that sort of thing. Of course I will still buy every new Macross toy and model that comes out so I guess in a way their is another option on your poll that will also fit me! Too bad I can't vote twice... :p

Melissa

Besides Macross stuff, I used to collect a lot of Gundam kits, MSiA, MSiP, SoC, GFF and a few other bits and bobs.

These days however due to a lack of both space and finances and a general disinterest in anything Gundam, I limit myself almost purely to Macross toys and have sold off most of my non-Macross toy collection on ebay over the past year.

Scale and size doesn't really bother me, but I do prefer toys with an accurate, realistic sculpt and a high level of detail and articulation. I don't like toys with exagerated sculpts such as the Toynami VF-1 Super Poseables.

I'm also not particularly bothered about die-cast metal content (or lack of it). In fact for transforming toys, I prefer little to no die-cast, except where necessary for strength. I generally prefer my toys made of ABS and have gone right off PVC figures such as the MSiA and GFF line.

I still buy at least one each of most Macross toys produced, except for some of the smaller items, such as the pencil sharpeners and the recent Tomy diorama sets, which I avoided as I thought they had naff sculpts and poor paint jobs.

For me to buy a non-Macross toy these days, it has to be a really outstanding toy of a design I like, from an anime I like. Generally as a rule, I prefer realistic style military mecha to Super Robots.

I tend to stick to Japanese toys, I have little interest in US toys as my interest in most US franchises like Star Wars died years ago. I can't recall exactly the last time I bought a US toy, probably 5-10 years ago (the Action Fleet Aliens Drop Ship).

the only non-Macross toys I am considering buying this year are the Yamato 1/12 Votoms, once they release a Red Shoulder Custom version with full weapons and at least one Toynami MPC Alpha (if they every get released). I may buy more Alphas if they have no problems.

I nearly bought the recently released Max Factory Guyver III figure as I used to be a big Guyver fan, but after allowing my self a cooling-off period, I figured I didn't really need it.

Graham