Favorite obscure/under-rated toyline

Ah those visionaries

yeah that series had potential,...bute were there ever any toys made for it

Yep. There were 8 individual carded figures and 4 vehicles, each with it's own driver. The carded figs were basically just like GI Joe, but each had an animal totem hologram on their chest, a weapon, helmet, and holographic power staff. The vehicles all had to be assembled just like the old Joe toys, and they had large holograms that represented various powers. The drivers came with the animal totem hologram, helmet and weapon, but no staff.

The Dagger Assault:

vis_dagger_asst_2_crop.jpg

Hey does anyone remember the original Advanced Dungeons and Dragons toys or the original Lord of the Rings / Hobbit action figures? Those were pretty cool. I remember one time I saw the Ringwraith figure with steed in a Woolworths and thought it was kickass. I don't see those around much anymore.

Another vote for Spiral Zone! Check out this golden oldie Datafile on Toybox DX!

Word. ;)

Soon-to-be neglected: TOMY's superb 'Metal-Action' Zoids. 2 uber-cool figures, 3 sets of armor, The End. >(

Word UP! B))

And my favorite underrated toy is the 1/72 C.L.O.D. from Xyber 9... the show sucked copious amounts of ass, and most of the other toys blew but I really dig mechanical apes, and this one's got FREAKIN tank treads!!!

Hey does anyone remember the original Advanced Dungeons and Dragons toys or the original Lord of the Rings / Hobbit action figures? Those were pretty cool. I remember one time I saw the Ringwraith figure with steed in a Woolworths and thought it was kickass. I don't see those around much anymore.

I had that guy. His name was Warduke and the horse was Nightmare. It was pretty cool until Warduke's rubber band broke and he became a parapalegic. :(

My favorite obscure toys were the Dougram dual models. Very cool stuff with excelent poseability for thier day. :)

post-26-1084333312_thumb.jpg

I had some of those D&D figures. The main one I remember was some evil type guy with a gnarly face on his shield. Actually had two of him, since the first one's rubber band broke, shortly after I got him. :angry:

Think I have one of the shields around, still. The eyes have been drilled out, from me trying to put LEDs in them.

Did anyone mention Micronauts? I thought Biotron and Baron Karza rocked, when I was little.

And please tell me you guys collected the Battlestar Galactica stuff...the first releases with real firing projectiles!?

Brings back memories. Great thread, by the way.

Bonus points for anyone who can ID this obscure toy and the series it's from.   :)

you mean ????

http://www.kaikodo.net/kin01/kin79.html

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/star/hoshimiru/TOY/0-banchi.html

I am very impressed, I thought no one knew about these toys.

Another quality line from Takatoku. I wonder what today's toy scene would be like if they had stayed in business...

Bonus points for anyone who can ID this obscure toy and the series it's from.  :)

you mean ????

http://www.kaikodo.net/kin01/kin79.html

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/star/hoshimiru/TOY/0-banchi.html

I am very impressed, I thought no one knew about these toys.

Another quality line from Takatoku. I wonder what today's toy scene would be like if they had stayed in business...

found more toys..

here is bararic plant zero

The main one I remember was some evil type guy with a gnarly face on his shield. Actually had two of him, since the first one's rubber band broke, shortly after I got him.

Do you mean Warduke? Kelek was the Mage, but Warduke was the evil fighter with the funky batwing-crested helmet.

Of course...they made a rather crude figure (In my opinion) of Prince Melf Brightflame of Celene...

post-26-1084383353_thumb.jpg

The main one I remember was some evil type guy with a gnarly face on his shield. Actually had two of him, since the first one's rubber band broke, shortly after I got him.

Do you mean Warduke? Kelek was the Mage, but Warduke was the evil fighter with the funky batwing-crested helmet.

Of course...they made a rather crude figure (In my opinion) of Prince Melf Brightflame of Celene...

Yes! That's the one! I thought he was about the coolest action figure I'd seen, when I was a kid.

No one has mentioned the Centurions and Silverhawks yet. :D

That's cause they blew! :p

They were not under-rated. They rocked. ;)

Power....EX-treme treme treme treme treme................ :lol:

I'm not nominating the line or anything, but does anyone know what that cartoon/toy line was called that featured all those monsters and weird creatures that lived underground? There was a giant skeletal dinosaur thing, some guy that was blue on one side and red on the other and represented the magnetic poles or something. (I think he had two distinct personalities as well.) All sorts of Magma and earth elementals... Jeeze, this stuff sounds strange but I swear I'm not making it up...

I think there were some humans in armor or something who constantly had to journey in the underworld to deal with the politics of the various monsters there who were threatening life on the surface world. They played factions against each other and sometimes had to side with one evil monster or another....

One monster looked kinda like Hedorah from the Godzilla movies.

Not sure how much of this my memory is messing up... :blink:

Edited by Californium

I'm not nominating the line or anything, but does anyone know what that cartoon/toy line was called that featured all those monsters and weird creatures that lived underground? There was a giant skeletal dinosaur thing, some guy that was blue on one side and red on the other and represented the magnetic poles or something. (I think he had two distinct personalities as well.) All sorts of Magma and earth elementals... Jeeze, this stuff sounds strange but I swear I'm not making it up...

I think there were some humans in armor or something who constantly had to journey in the underworld to deal with the politics of the various monsters there who were threatening life on the surface world. They played factions against each other and sometimes had to side with one evil monster or another....

One monster looked kinda like Hedorah from the Godzilla movies.

Not sure how much of this my memory is messing up... :blink:

Inhumanoids? I liked that cartoon BTW. I liked the guy called "decompose" because he could create zombie/skeleton dudes.

For me, it has to be the Visionaries. I loved the cartoon, and the toys were just plain cool.

"Knight's of the magical light!"

Yeah they were pretty cool. The holograms on their chests and GiJoe RAH articulation to boot was really cool. Another toyline that comes to mind when I think of holograms is Supernaturals. Some of those figures remind me of the Ring Wraiths from LOTR plus they had skeletal holograms which was a plus. I think they had tall and small figures in that line.

And my favorite underrated toy is the 1/72 C.L.O.D. from Xyber 9... the show sucked copious amounts of ass, and most of the other toys blew but I really dig mechanical apes, and this one's got FREAKIN tank treads!!!

Wasn't that a rip-off of the Gorem from Zoids 1/24 scale line? I saw the CLOD at KB's a while back and it looks like it's in the same scale but different mold. Huh, funny. :D

There was one i vaguely remember....

it involves Ecto-plasm-like green slime, and a mad doctor. I remembered that the toy came with an aquarium, and then you dunk an action figure into it and watch as the "acid" sizzles it and the figure becomes a skeleton or something.

Some obscure toys I had and now miss:

Bionic 6

Ghostbusters (especially loved the ghouls and their gimmicks)

COPS

Starcom

MASK

Police Academy (similar to the the ghostbuster toys with the hidden gimmicks)

BarnYard Commandos (funny GI JOE wannabe figures with pigs and sheep)

I also remember:

MicroMachines

Penny Racers

Also loved those color changing hot wheels cars when dunked in warm or cold water.

And speaking of water, anyone remember those 10-25 cent capsule toys (I believed they were made of some kind of rubber material) that would grow when you soaked them in water over night?

Edit: Forgot about Wing Commanders, Silver Hawks, and Thunder Cats.

Edited by GDomino

Here are my random favorite obscure toylines.

-Air Raiders vs the Tyrants of Wind

-Convertors

-Sectaurs

-Robo-Strux 86, Techno Zoids 94 (pre-Anime, post-80's Zoids)

-Spinjas, Kind of a cross between Playskool Weebles and BeyBlade

-Legions of Power, Tonka's Sci-Fi modular building system similar to Robotix but smaller

-Robotix of course

-Stariors, Zoid-esque robots with wind up weapons in it's chest's

-The Original Incredible Crash Dummies

-Lego Fabuland, Where the Lego people are Anthropomorphic

-Sky Commanders

-Burning Key Cars

-Godaikin

-Matell's Simpsons Action Figures

-Swamp Thing

-The Tick

-Tonka's Spiral Zone

• 5 years later...

Most of these have been mentioned before - but here's my list and why:

1. Ghostbuster Real Gear.

Now - they weren't actually CALLED "real gear" - but that's what it was. Sure, I liked the toys too, the figures, Ecto-1, the ghosts and monsters...but I LOVED the idea of dressing up as a Ghostbuster. Sadly, I never managed to get the Photon Pack, even though the thing was just amazing. I did, however, have the Ghost Trap, which had a reeeaaally short cord, but was still wonderfully show accurate. I also had the one proton blaster without the pack, but with the "slide show" feature - where you could make it shine the images of various ghosts onto walls and then activate a zapping feature :)

2. PHOTON!

Heeellooo!!?! Does NO ONE remember this amazing TV show?! The toys were awesome too - by which I mean the gun, hemlent and the whole fun of chasing eachother around trying to zap eachother out of existance. Sure, there was also Laser-Tag - but I always prefered Photon for the glam rockin' eye-liner and lipstick wearing bad guy.

3. Inhumanoids:

Mentioned above - and indeed - these were some of the best toys out there - at least the monsters. The human protagonists...not so much. I always felt their exo-suits were just way dis-proportionate and I could never figure out what any of the "equipment" was there for...

But the creatures themselves - Tendril, Magm...Magmar? ...ANd that dude with the rib cage - FAR OUT!! I also loved the tree guys; Redwood especially for some reason. And the rock people - those were some great er...rock people!

Finally - I had the "twins" - the one who was made of dried molten rock and the other one who was made of live volcanic magma... Although it's a pity the actual toy didn't work out as well..

Still - I accidentaly left the Magma guy under a lamp and...the plastic really did melt... :(

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I loved these toys. There was just so much fun in them. They were relatively poseable, very well sculpted and featured lots of zanny fun accessories. I don't think there was ANY Turtle toy that I was ever dissapointed in.

5. Robotech

And of course - the main reason why I'm hear; the greatest toy line EVER. In fact, the greatest achievement of humanity: Robotech. A breathtaking original story by Jack McKinney and Kevin Macintosh telling the epic tale of Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes and Luke Skywalker. I will never forget when I got my first Robotech toy. I was totally hooked! And the best part?

Made in USA baby!

Thank you Harmony Gold!

Pete

What's the name of that robot toy line with huge suction cups at the bottom?

ROBO-ZONE? :lol:

Robo force. I think it was Max Steel's Robo-force. Cool toys I had a few of them. Had a gimmick with a button on the back you press to make their arms move, lame gimmick though, it barely worked.

Obscure toys huh? Gundam and Macross don't count?

Captain Power was pretty big for a while, I remember playing that stupid thing with the VCR tape and it would eject the pilot. I also remember having the Defenders of the Earth toyline with Ming, some robot type figures, Flash Gordon, The Phantom, and some Magician guy. If my memory serves, those figures totally rocked compared to any other action figure. I want to say they were part diecast, but I'm not certain on that, as my memory has escaped me a bit. Remember G.U.T.S and M.U.S.C.L.E.? I had a million of both of those toylines, including a wrestling ring type thing. I had some other stuff too that was already mentioned, I was really into Air Raiders, Visionaries, etc. Also had the Tron toys, I remember being the only kid that had those. Car Voltron was pretty obscure back then as well, everyone wanted the Lionbot, only a couple of us kids had Car Voltron, who I actually liked better. Silverhawks blew goats though...