X-Com For The Pocket PC?

Wierd.... I played the hell out of these games in the day.

Anyone else think X-Com would make a great anime? I think it could really do well... provided they managed the horror aspects well.

Wierd.... I played the hell out of these games in the day.

Anyone else think X-Com would make a great anime? I think it could really do well... provided they managed the horror aspects well.

Anime? Nah....

Probably make a good series or live action movie.

It may be one of the greatest games of all time. Definately in my top 3 (Starcraft and Goldeneye are my other two)

Does anybody remember the day when you first researched the heavy plasma and got the flying suit and gave the Aliens a taste of their own medicine? Or the Psiamp?

did any of you laugh maniacally when you got your first blaster bomb?

And then the Etherials came on the scene.... and they always went for the guy with the blaster bomb and nuked your squad.

It may be one of the greatest games of all time. Definately in my top 3 (Starcraft and Goldeneye are my other two)

Does anybody remember the day when you first researched the heavy plasma and got the flying suit and gave the Aliens a taste of their own medicine? Or the Psiamp?

And then the Etherials came on the scene.... and they always went for the guy with the blaster bomb and nuked your squad.

that brings back memories.

the BGMs are awesome and they are pretty freaky at that time.

They should release a version I can play on WinXP, I have 2 versions of the game on cd, and saddly they run like crap for some reason.

I had that problem with the Collectors ed. of X-Com, and had to get a direct draw patch for it. I think you can still get them here...

How old is this game? i don't think I've heard of it before... Looks pretty awesome though.

The game is about 10 years old if I remember correctly, it has to be on the Top 10 PC games of all time if not top 5.

They should release a version I can play on WinXP, I have 2 versions of the game on cd, and saddly they run like crap for some reason.

I had that problem with the Collectors ed. of X-Com, and had to get a direct draw patch for it. I think you can still get them here...

cool, thanks, gonna check it out.

Ooooooh yeah! The Blaster was just SO much fun. What I always used to do was to have one fully-loaded-down guy carry it, but I'd leave him sitting in the transport. If by some small chance that he did get taken over, he was not as likely to be able to attack the rest of the squad so long as they weren't in visual range.

Another thing that was heinously fun was to have mass alien executions. Sometimes I'd try to Psi-Amp as many aliens as I possibly could, march them all into the same spot, and then make them drop grenades at their feet or just smear them with the Blaster. :lol:

I would love to play X-COM again. I played the hell out of that game back when it was first released. I was so hooked that I used to play the Demo disk from Computer Gaming World magazine over and over and over beforethe game was released. Some of those screens look new though. I have never seen the one with that soldier photo in the background. Looks great though!

Awesome! Absolutely one of the classic PC tactical games. I had the collector's edition installed in my PC and glad to have shipped it over! Muwhahaha...

If you guys like X-Com, checkout the remake "UFO : Enemy Sighted" Or whatever that name was...

Wonder if someone would make a Macross turn based tactical game in English? :D

Awesome! Absolutely one of the classic PC tactical games. I had the collector's edition installed in my PC and glad to have shipped it over! Muwhahaha...

If you guys like X-Com, checkout the remake "UFO : Enemy Sighted" Or whatever that name was...

Wonder if someone would make a Macross turn based tactical game in English? :D

Lots of UFO remakes in progress right now...

I think the one you're referring to is "UFO: Alien Invasion", which seems to be the one closest to the original X-COM. There's even a tech demo out, featuring one tactical mission I think.

X-Com is in my top three games of all time list. I loved how you could sell off your captured alien technology for big bucks. I'd just raid bases and make more money selling the stuff than what I got from the world's nations. I always wondered who was buying the stuff. Then the aliens would try to raid my base... :o

Then the aliens would try to raid my base...  :o

Ah, but those missions were the most sadistically fun of them all! Reason being that if you built your bases with a choke point, there was only one way the aliens could get in: the hangar (aka the alien deathtrap). This is probably common knowledge by now, but if you built them like this...

Hangar - Hangar - Hangar

(empty) Access Lift (empty)

All other facilities - Security Station- All other facilities

etc. etc. etc.

... then you could screw them over something FIERCE. Have person closest to the hangar throw in almost any kind of explosive device, and watch the secondaries go crazy. This works especially well if you launch a Blaster shell into a rack of missiles. You can liquidate anything in the hangars with one well-placed shot. :lol:

Edited by Axelay

Wierd....  I played the hell out of these games in the day.

Anyone else think X-Com would make a great anime?  I think it could really do well... provided they managed the horror aspects well.

Anime? Nah....

Probably make a good series or live action movie.

It has been done already!! Gerry Anderson's UFO!!! (UFO TV series was X-com + LSD)All the basic elements of the game were taken from the TV series: Shado bases, ships, interceptors, tanks, comandos going to landing sites, etc.

BTW: in Europe and othe places X-com was known as UFO...

IIRC, "X-Com" was changed from "UFO: Enemy Unknown" due to copyright reasons - whether Gerry Andersons UFO was responsible I don't know, but it was definitely an inspiration, as were other Anderson productions - the Stingray missile in the first game was named for one of Andersons early shows, and UFO the TV series also had Interceptors...

The best part of X-Com for me was the damagable scenery. I used to keep using the autocannon long after it was obselete - why?

Incendiary rounds. :lol:

I loved setting fire to barns and wheatfields and setting up ambushes so when the little aliens ran out of the flames on fire I could pick them off... B))

By the way, X-Com was the ultimate evolution in a series of similar games by the same creative minds. Those of you interested in emulation may want to check out Laser Squad and Rebelstar - Laser Squad in particular has many elements that later went into X-Com, including grenades, collateral damage, and opportunity fire - but in only 48K!

One of my favorite PC games evAr! And I liked the first one best of all.

I always thought it would make a damned fun online/multiplayer game. Just have different factions of people (randomly or in turns select their countries), etc. Allow a max of tech development and have an option to have the aliens on, which could/would attack everyone equally.

Maybe have a tech level slot that would allow you to colonize first the sea (from Terror of the Deep), then the moon and such. Move onto dimensional craft (from the Apocalypse).

One of my favorite PC games evAr! And I liked the first one best of all.

I always thought it would make a damned fun online/multiplayer game. Just have different factions of people (randomly or in turns select their countries), etc. Allow a max of tech development and have an option to have the aliens on, which could/would attack everyone equally.

Maybe have a tech level slot that would allow you to colonize first the sea (from Terror of the Deep), then the moon and such. Move onto dimensional craft (from the Apocalypse).

I had always dreamed this would be one of the ultimate online games to make.

Players would choose X-Com or Alien factions. Both sides have different tech levels to start out with the the goal of Earth domination by Alien forces or Alien Annihilation on Mars by X-Com forces

X-Com:

A mad tech tree starting with modern conventional and some "experimental" technology then up to building all of the ships to fly to Mars and kill alien scum.

Aliens:

Has advanced tech but limited resources (must have resources mined in Earth's ocean or mined on Mars, and transported to earth to build bases).

It would be a mix of FPS, with a tactical overview / strategy ala Natural Selection Mod for Half Life and arcade physics military / space sim like Freespace / Halo. Drive the tank around a Mars or Ocean Alien base with your squad of X-Com Marines while fighting off waves of Alien who will harvest your left over bodies to produce hybrids...

Multiple commanders would be allowed to control squads and represent countries or Alien sub factions of course. Go UN Spacy X-Com Squad :D