Skycaptain and the World Of Tommorow

I have to disagree, everytime I see that trailer it hurts. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to be trying to hard to look like an old comic book and not enough like a movie. Despite my life long love of aviation (or maybe because of it) I'll be skipping this one.

Plus, I just don't seem to like Jude Law. Don't know why, just don't.

I smell another box office flop coming through. I guess that's why they pushed back the release date, as all the other summer blockbusters (Spider-Man 2, et al) will just annihilate it on the opening weekends.

Oh ye of little faith. :p

Oddly enough, the thing that was most noticable to me was that they ripped off the SG-1 theme for the trailer! :lol:

trailers are never done by the actual production team. And they allways recyle music for it. you will not see that song in the sound track nor anywhere in the movie.

I was really looking forward to this movie, but it's better off that they moved it to September. Opening the same weekend as SpiderMan 2 would have been suicide.

Yup.

I think the film looks exceptionally cool. The filtered light and the obvious effort in set design are really different compared to most of the crap I see being released in the summer.

As to whether or not it's a good movie... remains to be seen. I think the delay to September was done both to save it's chances of being buried under Spiderman2 as well as make it better, in both effects and editing.

I like it. It reminds me of the Rocketeer. (which despite popular disliking, i liked and foudn entertaining)

Some people didn't like the Rocketeer? The one with Jennifer COnnely??? When she was at the height of her hotness?

The movie in question looks cool, plus it has Angelina Jolie... with an eyepatch. Too bad that's not the only thing she had on. i love the idea and the elements that they are pushing on this film. But I remember feeling that way about another film... but Final Fantasy: TSW turned out to be dog doodoo. I'll just go in with no expectations.

She looks like a Nazi in that getup. <_<

She looks like a Nazi in that getup. <_<

So does every imperial soldier and officer in Star Wars, so do Klingons, so do Turkish military uniforms, so does the North Korean army...

Pretty much everyone who has created a military force that was intended to be seen as evil since WWII has been a style knock off of the Nazis. I mean lets face it, Hittler marketed his forces well. People saw them as the scariest army ever to walk the earth.

Oh man, Winamp struck again. Right before the trailer started "Cloud Age Symphony" was playing, I think that'd be superior BGM for this trailer, but that's just me.

On the trailer:

That. Looks. COOL! Even if it is a bad movie, the visuals will be worth catching this one, that and P-40Cs.

On Nazis:

Admit it, if you wanted to run a military organization you'd have your troops looking like something out of a Waffen SS recruiting reel.

Pretty much everyone who has created a military force that was intended to be seen as evil since WWII has been a style knock off of the Nazis. I mean lets face it, Hittler marketed his forces well. People saw them as the scariest army ever to walk the earth.

The North Koreans *intentionally* created their army to be seen as forces for evil? Was that some sort of prerequisite to applying for membership in the Axis of Evil?

-Al

Pretty much everyone who has created a military force that was intended to be seen as evil since WWII has been a style knock off of the Nazis.  I mean lets face it, Hittler marketed his forces well.  People saw them as the scariest army ever to walk the earth.

The North Koreans *intentionally* created their army to be seen as forces for evil? Was that some sort of prerequisite to applying for membership in the Axis of Evil?

-Al

HAHAHA.. No, I don't think so... I just think they want to intimidate, looking like Nazis intimidates...

I remember reading an article in the newspaper about this project last year. Back then it was called "World of Tomorrow" and only Jude Law and Gweneth Paltrow were in the cast. It was basically a one-man-show - there was no set, it was just the film's writer/director with his PC and a bluescreen. They were trucking along slowly and the filmmaker had no idea if this movie would ever get finished. There was no mention of "flying robots" in the article.

Looks like Paramount pumped some cash into the production and added Jolie, hoping to make a blockbuster out of an indie.

i'm more intrested in this than spiderman 2

though i generally don't like "all CG except for the actors" type movies... looks cheap like a crap videogame cut scene

i'm more intrested in this than spiderman 2

though i generally don't like "all CG except for the actors" type movies... looks cheap like a crap videogame cut scene

Like the Starwars Prequels, for instance?

But with better acting than the SW prequels. :lol:

Oddly enough, the thing that was most noticable to me was that they ripped off the SG-1 theme for the trailer! :lol:

Not to mention the flying robots from Lupin the III and Miyazaki films.

I thought they were ripped off from the Superman cartoon of old. :unsure:

How come nobody ever mentions the massive amounts of blue/green-screen work in the LOTR trilogy?  :rolleyes:

because there was better acting and way better used than in Starwars episodes 1 and 2...

edited to add:

Even Gollum was a better actor some times than the real ones...

Edited by RichterX

I've been watching the press on this one lately, I kind of want to see it. It looks "interesting", sort of retro meets flash gordon meets Big O meets Captain Midnight. The only other "retro" projects in recent memory that I can think of are the abysmal "Phantom" starring an overly assinine Billy Zane, the "Rocketeer" which has already been covered here, the non-pantone calibrated "Dick Tracy" featuring a lock-jawwed Warren Beaty and an airheaded bimbonic Madonna and the corn-job known as "The Shadow" starring a bloated and wooden Alec Baldwin. All those movies attempted to capture the retro look using different styles, none of which worked all that well. They where all going for the "comic book come to life" look using different strategies... all of which played out very, very stupidly. From the makeup and horrid colors in Dick Tracy to the grungy patina of Rocketqueer to the darkened skewed proportions of The Shadow they all tried to force themselves retro or bring the comics into the real world somehow... I'm avoiding the Phantom because it was just a big pile of suck. This movie at least has the "look" close to "right" in my mind for a retro flash-gordon-meets-captain-midnight kind of send up. And just like those old school black and white B reels I'm expecting terrible acting, horrid plot and science logic that a 5th grader with his Bill Cosby teaches you science! book can dispute. But those old B reels where about the adventure and the crazy action which it looks like this movie may pull off just right.

As someone else said, leave your brain in the car when you see it and fill the hole with memories of old black and white B reel movies you watched on channel 8 on sunday mornings like I did and it should be a hoot.

Then again I have yet to see something with Angelina Jolie that did not suck a golf ball through a garden hose... now there is something I'd like to see her star in. :lol:

How come nobody ever mentions the massive amounts of blue/green-screen work in the LOTR trilogy?  :rolleyes:

because there was better acting and way better used than in Starwars episodes 1 and 2...

edited to add:

Even Gollum was a better actor some times than the real ones...

And just what does that have to do with the amount of CGI and bluescreen?

I'd take Angelina Jolie any way I can get her (except when she looked sickly in GIA). Eye patch or no eye patch. :D

Personally? I really like the way they shot this movie.