Predator: Special Edition

aka: About G-D time! Sure it's the same as the Region 2 disc, but why has it taken so long to come out here? :huh:

From IGN:

Predator - Collector's Edition on July 20

Two-disc set comes with many extras.

May 03, 2004 - 20th Century Fox will release Predator - Collector's Edition on July 20, just in time for the release of Alien vs. Predator, in a two-disc collection for $26.98.

The 1987 film featured two future governors: Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura. They played commandos searching for a team of Americans lost in the Central American jungles, but what they find is worse than any rebels: an alien soldier crash-landed on Earth that's practically impossible to kill. Well, knowing Arnold, he'll find a way.

The film features a new widescreen transfer and both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS (mercy!) audio. This collector's set features:

Disc 1:

Audio commentary by director John McTiernan and text commentary.

Inside Look

Alien Vs. Predator trailer

Alien Vs. Predator and I, ROBOT sneak peeks

Easter egg: John McTiernan on Learning Film

Disc 2:

Deleted scene: "Arnold Schwarzenegger fleeing Predator"

If it bleeds, we can kill it documentary

Inside the Predator - seven featurettes

Three Outtakes

Three Predator "red suit" special effects

Two Predator camouflage tests

Still gallery

Predator profile - 6 static pages

Edited by bsu legato

The 1987 film featured two future governors

Wow, I never thought of that.... I wonder when Carl Weathers is gonna run for office...

The film also starred Shane Black as Hawkins. First screenwriter to break the million dollar mark.

Wow, I never thought of that.... I wonder when Carl Weathers is gonna run for office...

The film also starred Shane Black as Hawkins. First screenwriter to break the million dollar mark.

Yeah, the Daily Show made a joke about how everybody on the cast of Predator is going to become a govenor, cept for the Predator, he's going to be a Senator :p

Van Damme was the first one cast for the Predator... He kept overheating in the costume though.

Word is that he *snifff* had a problem *snifffffff* with the director and *ssniiiiffffffff* was canned.

Either that, or he left to film "Cyborg."

Van Damme was the first one cast for the Predator... He kept overheating in the costume though.

Word is that he *snifff* had a problem *snifffffff* with the director and *ssniiiiffffffff* was canned.

Either that, or he left to film "Cyborg."

Cyborg was cool... I loved the bad guy.

He also complained that he didn't want to be a special effect. The majority of the shooting he did was in a skin tight blue body suit jumping around the trees, so they could do the cloak effect later.

I've also seen a picture of the monster suit he wore. The original predator looked like ass. It was insect like, and didn't have any tech on it. Looked like something out of a hokey low budget B movie. Best decision they made was to hire Stan Winston to design a new creature.

Yeah, the Daily Show made a joke about how everybody on the cast of Predator is going to become a govenor, cept for the Predator, he's going to be a Senator :p

I think Jesse Ventura is going to run for presidency on 2008...

Edited by RichterX

He also complained that he didn't want to be a special effect. The majority of the shooting he did was in a skin tight blue body suit jumping around the trees, so they could do the cloak effect later.

I've also seen a picture of the monster suit he wore. The original predator looked like ass. It was insect like, and didn't have any tech on it. Looked like something out of a hokey low budget B movie. Best decision they made was to hire Stan Winston to design a new creature.

Where did you see that?

I think Jesse Ventura is going to run for presidency on 2008...

Yeah Old Carl was on SNL a few Months ago talking about that.... All he kept saying is Why Cant I Govener... Any Gouvener will do after all I WAS the Black guy in Predator.... but he wasnt. He Wasnt the Cool Black Guy... The Cool Black Guy was a Man named Bill Duke Who Played MAc in the Movie.. Mac was Ten times cooler than Carl was...

And the Actor who Played the Preadator cant be a Senator... he died of Aids.....

which Sucks... he was also in Misfits of Science.. and he was Bigfoot in Harry and the Hendersons

Good lord almighty... it really is waaaaaay overdue. Musta had a rights problem to clear up or something.

Of course I love this movie... how could I not love a film featuring Ventura calling himself "Blain"?

Do you know how many times my friends have yelled "Strap this to your sore ass, Blain!" It can be difficult to explain at parties. :blink:

And any movie that specifically uses graphics to edit out JCVD is also cool with me.

Actually some of the "invisible suit" scenes used the old suit. Most of the "cloaked" shots early in the movie are not of the good Predator, but the earlier one.

I'll be damned, I KNEW there was something odd about some of those cloaked shots.

Well, this clears up one mystery.

SWEET!!!

And all this time I thought I would have to get the R2, and a region free PAL/NTSC convertible DVD player to watch this.

Now all they have to do is the same thing with the R2 releases of Blade Runner and Dune, and I'll be a happy mofo.

It's about time! My friend from Manchester has been telling me about this Predator Special Edition ever since he moved to Canada about a year ago. I guess I shouldn't be so mad, I mean with North America being the only place to get Criterion DVDs...but it just makes me angry when a solid selling item like Predator get's a lackluster NA release compared to the rest of the globe.

But enough gripping, I'm getting one of these :)

SWEET!!!

And all this time I thought I would have to get the R2, and a region free PAL/NTSC convertible DVD player to watch this.

Now all they have to do is the same thing with the R2 releases of Blade Runner and Dune, and I'll be a happy mofo.

Hey Mech are you speaking of the region 2 TV version of Dune?? the Four Hour David Lynch version? Cause I have it... it kinda sucks no extras except a Cool Full Color insert no Subs and no 5.1

*blinks and holds up R4 version of Pred:Special Ed *

You mean this DVD I've owned for almost TWO years this June, your only just getting?

Cyc

haha, I have that too. have had it for about 2 years. I gave away my old dvd copy of predator and rushed out and bought this one the day it came out. defintely worth getting for the extras.

It's weird how living in Australia, aka the last place on earth pop culture gets released, we sometimes get first bite of the cherry.

SWEET!!!

Hey Mech are you speaking of the region 2 TV version of Dune?? the Four Hour David Lynch version? Cause I have it... it kinda sucks no extras except a Cool Full Color insert no Subs and no 5.1

Yeah, I think that's the one.

The US DVD release sucks ass, but whenever they show Dune on Sci-Fi etc it's the longer version.

I primarily like it because at least with the extra scenes, you get closer to the book.

The newer mini series was butt-horrible IMHO, so the movie will have to do for me.

What does the R2 Blade Runner feature?

The R1 Blade Runner is Ridley Scott's crap director's cut with Deckard's commentary deleted, and with extra scenes folded in to make the viewer believe that Deckard was a replicant, because that is what Ridley Scott thought despite the fact that Philip K. Dick himself has said that he never intended for Deckard to be a replicant. <_< .

Aside from that, the issue of Deckard's narration...there are some of us that LIKED that part. IMHO, it gave the movie an old world detective novel feeling that matched very well with the retro futuristic setting, and especially Deckard's character.

I think that the R2 version has the commentary and is minus the scenes, but I'm not sure.

What does the R2 Blade Runner feature?

The R1 Blade Runner is Ridley Scott's crap director's cut with Deckard's commentary deleted, and with extra scenes folded in to make the viewer believe that Deckard was a replicant, because that is what Ridley Scott thought despite the fact that Philip K. Dick himself has said that he never intended for Deckard to be a replicant. <_< .

Aside from that, the issue of Deckard's narration...there are some of us that LIKED that part. IMHO, it gave the movie an old world detective novel feeling that matched very well with the retro futuristic setting, and especially Deckard's character.

I think that the R2 version has the commentary and is minus the scenes, but I'm not sure.

I like both versions, personally.

Blade Runner and Dune both need a good release that has both cuts of the film and loads of extras. Sorta like the Anchor Bay 2disc Army of Darkness or even better - my favorite DVD release yet - Brazil: The Criterion Edition.

But I'm glad they're finally a better version of Predator. Now if they could just get around to my other Special Edition dream releases...

Raising Arizona, Dazed and Confused, Office Space, and about a million other flicks that deserve a serious SE treatment.

Yup, I'm still waiting for the narrated version to come out on DVD. This is on the European version? Maybe it's time to buy a region free player. Ridley Scott rules, but his Director's Cuts are lame. Blade Runner AND Alien...

Go check out the trivia for Predator at imdb.com - here is a classic:

"An attempt was made to get shots of the Predator swinging from tree to tree using a monkey in a red special-effects suit. However, the monkey kept removing the suit and the idea was abandoned."

:lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093773/trivia

hello guys, any predator fan should buy this

i bought a predator special edition in brazil, it is region4, and i know there was a european release too. it comes with 2 dvds and the second dvd has many extras with interviews , the interviews are more with the cast and not with arnold ( the other actors look very old too hehhee), but not many deleted scenes i think some 3 or 4 but very small in time.

the first dvd movie looks like the original version released in the US, i think they didnt change anything

go and buy it

and watch AVP