Macross 7 Sucks! Macross 7 Rules!

I've made my point in the current "why is M7 retarded?/No it isn't, you just don't get it!" thread - here.

But since this is where offical request are made and answers given - I'm starting this thread to ask why we don't just pin the M7 argument permanently in the Movies and TV series section.

The argument isn't nearly as heated as the old HG wars used to be (to 99% of us), but it's just as prevalent and it does seem to be eternal. With the ease of availability that the HK DVD boots have given the series to newcomers, I imagine we'll be seeing the same thing over and over again for centuries.

Unlike a Newbie question thread where things can be easily answered, the M7 debates are pretty much all subjective. People will continue to bring up every possible angle to prove why it sucks or it's awesome, etc...

I think if there was a pinned thread, then someone could ask a question like, "Why is the VF-19 Kai red?" without setting off the debate. Or at the very least, when it goes into "it's red because it sucks!" - we can tell whomever to take it to the pinned thread where it belongs. It seems to me that once you group all of it in one place, then you don't have guys waiting for a chance to bash and defend something - and that's really the problem here.

There are other topics that always set off the same stupid opinion wars, like EVA - but Macross 7 is a Macross show and it isn't going anywhere. Like the HG debates, it'll probably always be a part of Macross discussions. The love/hate for M7 goes back to the old usenet groups.

Let's just make a place for it and be done with it.

I guess the main reason I've started this thread is because I can't honestly think of any reason why NOT to make a pinned M7 debate thread, other than we don't want to admit that it's there, or that you guys think it may just encourage more flaming, etc. and require more moderation. But I really don't think it would.

Let me know if I'm off-base here.

Reasons why I'm against such a thing:

Currently we have one why I love or hate Macross 7 topic that appears every other month and last two weeks. Everyone gets it out of their system and let their batteries get recharged. I'd get sick of seeing such a thread 24/7.

Not every Macross 7 based topic is for bashing or praising. I don't think Macross 7 should be associated as something that causes heated debate.

I don't think a separate pinned topic is necessary. Here's my suggestion:

1) post one well thought out "M7 SUCKS!" explanation in the newbie thread.

2) post one well thought out "M7 RULES!" explanation in the newbie thread.

3) mods lock any future potentially inflammatory M7 thread.

4) mods redirect poster to the newbie thread.

This shall be known as the "Fire Bomber" policy. :)

Reasons why I'm against such a thing:

Currently we have one why I love or hate Macross 7 topic that appears every other month and last two weeks. Everyone gets it out of their system and let their batteries get recharged. I'd get sick of seeing such a thread 24/7.

Not every Macross 7 based topic is for bashing or praising. I don't think Macross 7 should be associated as something that causes heated debate.

I can see where you're coming from, Roy. This current thread is basically just a newbie saying "I don't like Macross 7!", but in the past we've had many more love/hate bashes that start from a simple question about M7. That's basically more of what I think a pinned thread would avoid.

Basically, I can guarantee you that if I waited a few weeks for the current thread to die off and posted a direct, simple Macross 7 question, like "Is Basara a better pilot or singer?" and it would turn into a bash before one page was through.

If we had a pinned thread, then in theory all that crap would hopefully stay there.

And as for Dare's idea of making "one well thought out" bash/defense posts... c'mon... who are you kidding? You let me know when two posts will totally cover an issue and everybody will agree to it. That's just a fantasy, unfortunately.

I'd get sick of seeing such a thread 24/7 too... but I'm more sick of the way it is now.

My suggestion (bash/defense posts) was only meant as a "M7 starter" in the newbie thread. If people are that interested, they can continue to argue and counter argue in the newbie thread. BTW, in my previous post, I should have added...

5) interested members can continue M7 questions/answers/debates in newbie thread.

Edited by J A Dare

My suggestion (bash/defense posts) was only meant as a "M7 starter" in the newbie thread. If people are that interested, they can continue to argue and counter argue in the newbie thread. BTW, in my previous post, I should have added...

5) interested members can continue M7 questions/answers/debates in newbie thread.

I see what you mean, but I think that would only turn the Newbie thread into the pinned Macross 7 debate thread that I was requesting.

And that would basically ruin the Newbie thread, which serves a useful purpose as it is.

I think Roy hit it on the nail. These topics come out, people vent and debate, we have our fun, then it disappears for a number of weeks, maybe even over a month, then comes back in a new form. Not overly annoying this way, and the thread can always be ignored until it passes into page 2. A pinned thread would be a contant eyesore sitting up top, begging for new input and Basara jokes. That and "why is the fire valk red" type questions can and already should be posted in the newbie question section, along with such vignettes as "how could Basara not tag the biker chick, he must be gay", "what is that furball on Mylene's shoulder" and other gems like that.

Edited by Anubis

I don't know why we can't just be sivil about this. Because when it comes to M7 sivility is the best course. I know when someone says Macross 7 to me, I think... mmm... Sivil... and it would all be gooood!

it would be nice to have a pinned m7 thread for people like me who know nothing of m7

I believe the newbie thread covers that. In fact, I think someone asked that question.

Let's just ban discussion of Macross 7 altogether. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't think it's that big of a deal. If the reoccuring macross 7 hate/defense threads keep bothering you, the easiest thing to do is just not click on them...

But I am the Shepard who protects the weak through the valley of M7 darkness...

If I didn't alert the n00bs to the lameness of that fruity-ass dork circle-jerk they might only hear the positive aspects of it... Then they would go and see it, then their excitement for Macross would die forever as they would think ALL macross fans have gone the way of Boy George.

I restore the faith of the new fans, as once the read my briliance they are relieved that there ARE still awesome Macross fans out there.

it would be nice to have a pinned m7 thread for people like me who know nothing of m7

I believe the newbie thread covers that. In fact, I think someone asked that question.

I think there's also a set of DVDs for people like that.... :p

I think there's also a set of DVDs for people like that.... :p

i... eh.. is that a threat?

Let's just ban discussion of Macross 7 altogether. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't think it's that big of a deal. If the reoccuring macross 7 hate/defense threads keep bothering you, the easiest thing to do is just not click on them...

It's not so much that they bother, they just derail any M7 question alltogether... remember, I'm not talking censorship, but rather organization. ;)

think it would be easier to host a fps game each month with one team called mac7 lovers and the other team called mac7 haters and see who wins. no more hurt feelings or braincells and everyone has fun.

think it would be easier to host a fps game each month with one team called mac7 lovers and the other team called mac7 haters and see who wins.  no more hurt feelings or braincells and everyone has fun.

I feel sorry for the anti-M7 team then... I'm on the pro. :)

Yeah, but I'll be on the ANTI... How about a Q3 game later?