Liquid Body Armor

Sounds very very cool, but:

If it's impacted suddenly by a projectile or a knife, say, it rigidifies and somehow restricts the ability of the fabric to move

Reminds me of the line from Dune... The slow blade penetrates the shield...

Edited by fulcy

I remember somthing like this that the Air force and navy were interested in.

They were using it as G suits for their pilots.

It had a gel lining, and since liquid dosen't compress, the fabric would'nt streach to allow blood to pool in the feet. I saw a comparison between that suit and a traditional air-bag G-suit, and the liquid suit allowed the user to stand up to 12G.

With acceleration rates of up to 5 g/sec the centrifuge in Königsbrück is one of the most powerful in the world. One pilot wearing the "Libelle Suit" managed to achieve the top result of 12 g, the centrifuge's maximum output. Assistant Medical Director Dr. Heiko Welsch, Head of the Institute for Flight Physiology, claimed that "the test person's actions were not impaired in the least". Dr. Welsch's colleague, Dr. Jost Sutter, Head of the FIA, points out the aims intended for the "Libelle": "We are not looking for record results but are attempting to maintain optimal performance over longer periods of time for the pilot when he is exposed to medium g forces".

Here is the link to the article: Libelle flight suit

Edited by one_klump

If it's impacted suddenly by a projectile or a knife, say, it rigidifies and somehow restricts the ability of the fabric to move

I was just thinking that.

Dune = win.

Science Fiction is awesome, it inspires stuff that people make today.

So where is my green lightsaber eh?

LOL - You beat me to it!

And if you had fought one whit below your abilities, I would have given you a nice scar to remind you!!

Of course, the problem with this is that for knives and arrows it may work well, until the criminal reads that article, and realizes that all they have to do is push slower.

And if it is a bullet, then that force has to go somewhere. With a kevlar vest that's 1/2 inch thick, the vest takes some of the shock and spreads it out, but it's still like being kicked by a mule.

Imagine a flannel shirt treated with that stuff, the bullet may not penetrate, but it would probably still be the equivalent of being hit by a truck.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Early days they reportedly had problems with getting it to return to liquid state, that the shock of a hit "locked" it solid, wonder if they licked that...

Sounds like it:

"If you relieve the stress it goes back to a liquid," Wagner said. "It's a very interesting material in that way."