perfect transformation

rtype

The Yamato 1/48 line, Bandai 1/55 line, the Toynami Masterpiece line, Banprestos, and the old Bandai HCM's and Joke Machines - these do NOT require any removing any parts to transform them.

The Yamato 1/60 line of VF-1 toys require removing the legs and reattaching them to complete the transformation.

Edited by Blaine23

The only VF-1 that has "true perfect transformation", is the almight Yamato 1/48 scale. Outside of the gunpod, no parts are removed to change to any mode.

The Banadai/Takatoku 1/55, HCM, the little Banpresto, and even the "dreaded" MPC has the term "perfect transformation" (until the 1/48 was released that is), but all work on the same mechanics in which they have the swinging hip-bars.

Why do you think I have 32 of them? :D They ARE THAT GOOD!

Godzilla- Making it his personal mission to keep Yamato's international trade alive.

:D

I guess it all means what you mean by "perfect transformation". If you mean no parts-swapping, then the Yammie 1/48, Bandai 1/55 and the other forementioned toys are what you're looking for.

But if you mean "perfect" like how it's actually drawn and designed to transform... Doesn't exist. Although it would be cool if it did!

So the 1/48s are that good huh?  I've been avoiding them, mostly on cost.

32?? I didn't think they made 32 different ones? So you have repeats? Tell me you're doing customs.

So the 1/48s are that good huh? I've been avoiding them, mostly on cost.

No, they really aren't that good.

They're better. Save your money and skip two smaller, crappier toys, then go buy a 1/48 VF-1 and some FAST packs. You won't regret it.

do you care on showing a picture of your 1/48 family?

No, they really aren't that good.

They're better. Save your money and skip two smaller, crappier toys, then go buy a 1/48 VF-1 and some FAST packs. You won't regret it.

yup what he said. :p

i ended buying a bunch of other scale valks only to find out the 1/48 is basically the best the market has to offer....two thumbs up.

32?? I didn't think they made 32 different ones? So you have repeats? Tell me you're doing customs.

Yes and no. On the No part, I am not gonna custom the 5 low vis fighters. Well except one where it will be a VF-1J. I also have 7 VF-1J Max. 5 will be nicely packed away and I will open 2. I think I will customize some Max but that means I will buy more. As for the others: I MIB and 1 open except got Roy. I have 5 Roys. 1 Roy is R1 and in MIB. R2 Roy is MIB. There rest will be opened for: VF-1S Roy DYRL, TV Roy, TV Hikaru. Everything else is fair game for customs like my VF-1S DYRL Max. :D

It sounds like if you wanted other mechs (other than the VF-1*), then the best route is the old 1/55 Bandais then?

That would a big "no" in response to that.

Bandai never made any 1/55's other than the VF-1. All of the discussion above was about VF-1 valks.

When you talk about valks other than the VF-1 - you basically have two options.

Yamato's 1/72 Macross Plus line

Bandai's 1/65 Macross 7 line

At this point, to save from further confusion, I'd advise you to check out some sites that show the different line ups

That "website" that I hear so much about... Macrossworld!

and..

Valkyrie Factory... cause he's pretty much got one of everything... except newer stuff.

Look at the different toys and you'll probably see most of what you need to know.

The term "perfect transformation" is a bit flawed, as nothing is really perfect... but feel free to ask any other questions about removable parts, etc - once you've figured out which valks you're asking about.

What Blaine said. But (with a few exceptions) if you want mechs other than VF's--that is, destroids and Zentradi stuff--you either need to get into modelling or you have to get toys from Takatoku and/or Matchbox/Harmony Gold/Exo-Squad. None of the Takatoku/Machbox/HG/Exo toys have been made since about 1994.

Takatoku made 1/144 diecast destroids (Defender, Tomahawk, Gladiator, Phalanx), along with a 1/144 VF-1 Battroid and a 1/240 destroid Monster. Doyusha makes a line of 1/144 diecast VF's in fighter mode. (Doyusha is exception #1.) Takatoku also made some vinyl toys but I doubt they're what you're looking for.

Matchbox/Exo-Squad reissued the 1/144 destroids and 1/240 Monster (but not the battroid), possibly not to the same level of quality in terms of materials, but essentially the same sculpts. Matchbox/Exo-Squad (and maybe Harmony Gold) also released the four smaller destroids (i.e., not the Monster) as 7" plastic toys (roughly 1/60 scale), as well as the Glaug (about 1/55-1/60), Regult (ditto), and Zentradi Male Power Armor (close to 1/100 scale). The bigger Matchbox stuff varies quite a bit in terms of sculpt accuracy. Also note that the Zentradi "Quadrono Battalion" power armor is totally wrong, assuming it's supposed to represent the female power armor that Millia uses. They just took the male armor and recolored it.

That brings up exception #2: Yamato has currently released a 1/60 Queadluun Rau in Millia's red DYRL scheme.

Exception #3 is Arii's series of 1/100 figures. I don't know if they're at all posable--they seem more like sculptures than toys. You can find them in the MW toy section referenced above.

I guess it all means what you mean by "perfect transformation". If you mean no parts-swapping, then the Yammie 1/48, Bandai 1/55 and the other forementioned toys are what you're looking for.

But if you mean "perfect" like how it's actually drawn and designed to transform... Doesn't exist. Although it would be cool if it did!

Guess if "perfect" refers to the way the valkyries were designed to transform, the 1/48 is way out.

Does anyone have any idea how the valks really transform in the aime ( diagram etc?) and will it be possible for a toy to follow strictly to that design?

I rem see alot of designs to predict the 1/48 preferct transformation (there was a competition or something in the forum).

From what I know, it should be similar to the swing bar of the bandais but the swing bars are "hidden".

Any1 can provide any details?

thanks

Guess if "perfect" refers to the way the valkyries were designed to transform, the 1/48 is way out.

Does anyone have any idea how the valks really transform in the aime ( diagram etc?) and will it be possible for a toy to follow strictly to that design?

I rem see alot of designs to predict the 1/48 preferct transformation (there was a competition or something in the forum).

From what I know, it should be similar to the swing bar of the bandais but the swing bars are "hidden".

Any1 can provide any details?

thanks

Yup, on the old boards, the thread showed a swing bar that put the legs in place, then "released" them and retracted back into the back of the chestplate.

Somebody 'round here might have the diagrams/pictures... but it's an incredibly inpractical way to design a toy, so it's doubtful we'll ever see it. To be honest, I prefer the 1/48 method anyway.

The best two words to describe the transformation from the show - "anime magic"

Edited by Blaine23

It sounds like if you wanted other mechs (other than the VF-1*), then the best route is the old 1/55 Bandais then?

if you want to be patient, you can always wait for yamato to make some destroids. there are no actual facts to back this statement up but most of us are hoping/praying that yamato takes a step towards something other than VF's.

either way heres a pic of the destroid...in 1/60 scale(sort of)

post-4-1083096027.jpg

Yes, even the 1/48 scale is not entirely show-accurate. There is a drawn diagram floating around that shows the method of leg deployment. Hydraulic arms rotate the legs into position, where they are attached to the hips. The arms then retract and are not seen.

Drawings showing leg transformation are here: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/specia...nsformation.htm

Contest to develop an accurate toy version is here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/contes...nsform_2001.htm

I seem to recall that at least one master customizer has actually made a toy or model which does the leg transformation almost completely accurately, but I don't remember where the page is.

I didn't mean to throw around the word "perfect" so loosely, but I'd seen the term "perfect transformation" (probably on product packaging) before.

I guess the advantage of Transformers is that the toys were invented in advance of the TV show, so it was up to the TV show to achieve accuracy in the way they worked.

Since Macross has always been anime first, maybe expecting toys to mimic them so closely is expecting too much. Still, I don't personally feel that it's acceptable to have to take the mech apart in order to transform it and it sounds like you'd have to for many of the other lines including the Yamato 1/60.

I'm not really looking for any specific mechs--Fokker's VF-1S was always my favorite so getting that i nthe Yamato 1/48 should satisfy that, but I would be way interested if there were other mechs that were high quality and could be transformed without being taken apart.

:):) Both the Bandai and the 1/48 has the swing bar is that one is hidden in the back the other is visible in the front. Both has their advantage and disadvantage. The visible swing bar of Bandai allows the leg to do a forward kick without any interferring. So in that sense, Bandai valkyrie has real hip.

The hidden Yamato swing bar on the back gave their Valkyrie a better appearance and more articulation, but to do a forward kick, once has to spread out the wing first.

Wasn't there also a 1/72 Perfect Transformation Hasegawa in Fighter Mode. Someone did a bit of modding and made it transform into all three modes (and I've always liked the Hasegawa Battroid more than Yamato's). :blink:

Right you are, kanata.

Also, good point, Graham. A lot of "near perfect" transformations can be made perfect just by leaving some parts off. The intake covers on the 1/48's are a detail that simply doesn't appear on the 1/55's.

Misc: I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but in addition to having to move the legs by hand on the 1/60's, you also have to replace the cockpit canopy with a heatshield and attach the Gerwalk antenna.

Unpopular opinion: I would have preferred they made the legs removeable on the 1/48. Just the vertical bar, but keep the horizontal one that goes inside the cockpit. That would have left enough room for the arms to move up more in fighter mode which in turn would give more room for the gunpod. But hey, I like it a lot now. Just a minor nitpick.

Unpopular opinion: I would have preferred they made the legs removeable on the 1/48. Just the vertical bar, but keep the horizontal one that goes inside the cockpit. That would have left enough room for the arms to move up more in fighter mode which in turn would give more room for the gunpod. But hey, I like it a lot now. Just a minor nitpick.

if the 1/48's had pop off leg action i would have never bought 4 of them....

but now that i have them i am starting to get into 1/60's

(its kinda like an addiction) :D

Unpopular opinion:  I would have preferred they made the legs removeable on the 1/48.  Just the vertical bar, but keep the horizontal one that goes inside the cockpit. That would have left enough room for the arms to move up more in fighter mode which in turn would give more room for the gunpod.  But hey, I like it a lot now.  Just a minor nitpick.

if the 1/48's had pop off leg action i would have never bought 4 of them....

but now that i have them i am starting to get into 1/60's

(its kinda like an addiction) :D

DETACHABLE LEGS ROCK! 1/60'S RULE!

i started and finished the 1/60's, they're the best!

now i'm onto 1/48/'s....even though you can't really play with them. :(